Thread: Creating a World - Changing hidden key board settings (console key)

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Creating a World - Changing hidden key board settings (console key)

Some of us are plagued by a mapping of the console key to a character that is needed to type the 'cheats' - here is your salvation!

• Create a data\text folder in the main game's directory (...\Medieval II Total War\data\text)
    • Copy your descr_shortcuts file in there
    • To completely get rid of the original setting TWO identical entries in data\text\descr_shortcut need to be changed

From
    Code:
    show_console                GRAVE_ACCENT    hidden
    To
    Code:
    show_console                C ALT
    This makes the Alt+C combination the default to call up the console - the setting can then be changed via options\key setting\misc

• Delete keys.dat in the preferences folder of all custom mods and the main game
    • Start your custom mod (not the main game!) and change the key setting (misc) if you wish to use a different setting

Other:
    The descr_shortcuts.txt file is included in my Bare Geomod installation
    A tutorial to create custom\new short cuts for scripting purposes can be found here.

Last edited by Gigantus; September 16, 2020 at 10:35 PM. Reason: instructions updated

Icon4 Re: Creating a World - Changing hidden key board settings (console key)

Hi can you help me out please.

I've installed the mod but i want use cheats but I don't have the text document on my files. I've re-installed the mod from other links but it doesn't make difference so I want to ask If you can send me the data please I'll very happy .

It's more pleasing the game and I enjoy playing it but I don't have much experience in this class of games

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World - Changing hidden key board settings (console key)

You need to unpack the main game to get that file.

hello please help me how to can open cheat. I can't cheat anything in my mods

Blog Entries

Read the opening post on how to change the key for the console.

Hello, i need help to get console working in medieval total war 2, i have tried everything and it dosent turn upp in options/controlls/misc. i dont understand what i´m doing wrong, i have changed the code from grave accent, to c alt, but it wont turn up in the game??

Blog Entries

Did you remove the 'hidden' part and changed both entries?
    Did you follow this instruction?: Delete keys.dat in the preferences folder (main installation and all mods)

@Gigantus I did everything what you said, changed both like in this picture, did delete all keys.dat from vanilla and mods, there is no option on misc menu about console

Blog Entries

Did you place the descr_shortcuts.txt file into the data\text folder?
    What editor did you use to make the change in the file?

You need to start that particular mod to make the changes appear.

@Gigantus Yes, i did copy descr_shortcut and paste to there, was there before do that, i didn't do with editor, this is yellow because i changed windows's type colors from registry, i did with notepad

I didn't understand, which mod i must start?

Blog Entries

You need to place the descr_shortcut file into the data\text of a mod. Simply install my small Bare Geomod setup, place the edited file in the mods\bare_geomod\data\text folder. Then delete the keys.dat folder in bare_geomod's preferences folder (it will not exist unless you started bare geomod once, in that case don't worry) and also delete keys.dat from the main game's preferences folder (Medieval II Total War\preferences).

Now start Bare Geomod with it's desktop shortcut and check if your changes took place.

@Gigantus
    I did, that works now on baregeomod, but still no console option on misc menu on my vanilla and mods
    And, do you know how to delete some hotkeys from some, for example for diplomacy menu on campaign, this is with 'D' but i wan't delete d from that for use on another something, i don't wan't add another hotkey just wan't delete hotkey from this

And on your mod 'C' is for missions menu, i must delete this because i can't write 'c' on console screen

@Gigantus
    Can you send me your vanilla descr_shortcut and preferences file, could be work

I did everything, didn't find still what is problem, must be show on misc menu but not showing, and same on campaign, still same console key
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 16, 2020 at 08:35 PM. Reason: multiple posts merged

Blog Entries

Try other key combinations like F1 ALT

You are right, I just checked - the settings will not get carried forward, I have adjusted my opening post, please check there.
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 16, 2020 at 10:37 PM.

I fixed it, i write --io.file_first to steam medieval 2 properties- launch options, and now on misc menu, but with this i can't open mods, after i remove --io.file_first, mods are working and show debug console is on misc menu, but now on vanilla there is no console option and coming back to old key option

Edit later:

With --io.file_first there is console option on misc menu but without not, and without mods have console option, i did test with stainless steel 6.4
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 16, 2020 at 10:14 PM. Reason: multiple posts merged

Blog Entries

Correct - that method is not suitable for mod use. Simply follow my instructions in the updated opening post. Make sure to delete your entry from the Steam options.
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 16, 2020 at 10:36 PM.