Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other Roman Factions attacking Rome?

selenius4tsd's Avatar Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Default Other Roman Factions attacking Rome?

Y'all

I started a new campaign with the Scipii faction the other day. I captured the rest of Sicily, and then did nothing else. Built a couple of full stack armies here and there, just waiting until one of the other Roman factions decided to take Rome. I managed to get to 178 BC, and still nobody was budging!

Do you guys think that the game is programmed in such a way that you are the only Roman family who will try to attack the Senate? If it is, then that sucks big time.
    Has it ever happened to any of you guys that another Roman faction has attacked Rome?

Henry of Grosmont's Avatar Clockwork Angel

Default Re: Other Roman Factions attacking Rome?

Haven't seen it. Never. It seems, that AI roman factions are loyal to each other 'til the end.
    Only once, when I attacked other roman faction ,Senate and the third one kept my side. Didn't help them, though

As far as I'm aware it's not possible for any of the other families to attack Rome, their alliance with the Senate with basically hard coded into the game so they won't ever attack Senate forces. Will means that they would probably attack Rome if someone other than the Senate owner it. You could find out by editing the game so that another faction, say Gaul, had a stack inside Rome to begin with. I'm not sure if that would break the game though....

If you go down to the bottom of the descr_strat.txt file, there's a diplomacy section that you can edit. I changed it so that all the roman families started off as enemies to the Senate, but with them all being allied against them. However, when my diplomat went to Rome asking for a ceasefire, which they accepted, all the other Roman families outlawed me! Is that wierd or what?!

Oh and btw, welcome to the forum Sammyboi!

eggthief's Avatar Praepositus

Well in my first campaign ever (with scipii) gaul defeated the jullii and toke over Rome. Me and the brutii became neutral after that but he never attacked me. And one other time when i attacked Rome all the roman factions started to have war with each other and at the end Brutii conquered everything.

It was either in one of my greek campaigns or selcucid campaign but the Scipii were allied with Gaul and when the Julii attacked Gaul the Scipii broke their alliance with the roman factions. Didn't attack rome though. And this was in around 260bc...

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Azureus: That was odd

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Yeah, its possible but it gets buggy.

Usually if you just sit it out, eventually one of the the other factions gains to much power and the senate demands the faction leader to commit suicide, once that happens they say no and everyone goes to war, except you.

You get attacked by Julii and Brutii but you cant fight back, the message "you do not have enough political power to take one rome yet" comes up. So your screwed.

"It's best to shut your mouth and let everyone think you're ignorant, then to open your mouth and prove it."

Just seize rome and let the civil war begin...

AZEREUS: ive been in that position too, its about proteqocrate
    “"The robber of your free will," writes Epictetus, "does not exist”

legionari's Avatar Decanus

edit diplomacy and just switch all the roman factions to be at war with each other

I've had other factions that have been outlawed but thats it i'm afraid

Ahoy Belisarius, welcome.

Something interesting that happened to me in the same campaign as mentioned in post #1.
    Got to 145BC, still with my Sicilian cities and the one on the Italian mainland. Brutti had complete control of Greece except for Sparta. The big surprise was to see that the Julli were being besieged by Gaul at Segesta and Ariminium. Gaul captured both, Julli left with one Italian city and the Sardinian one.
    Then, decided i had enough and went to conquer Carthage and surrounding areas (by now owned by Numidia). As soon as I took Carthage, Senate asked for the suicide of my faction leader. Very wierd - normally this happens when you have completed many many missions (I hadnt finished any of them in the game).
    So I decided to kill my faction leader, not having enough regions to start a war against them yet. In the next few turns, Julli was eventually destroyed (Gaul took Italian city, Carthage took Sardinia back). Brutti broke their alliances with everyone, followed by attacking Rome! Very odd AI behaviour.

(Its all confusing, Ill post a screen of it just now)

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Never play the same game twice hm? Playing through as the Brutii this time around, and Britannia took out the Gauls and dominated all of Western Europre and most of Eastern Europe. They're the second most powerful faction, after myself. AI wouldn't take Rome, so I sacked it the second I was given the option.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

IXlegion's Avatar Foederatus

ive never seen that even tho i played the roman campaigns like a million times and things all change in each new campaign

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

when I played as the Gauls i did an unusual tactic. i loaded all my men on boats and took out britanna. when i abandoned all my mainland settlements, the julii conquored them all and then took out the italian brutii cities.strangely, they had in the end all italy except for rome, which they never attacked. also the seleucids repeled egypt and the armenians and such and conquored all of asia minor :hmmm: so if you do something totally different from what the AI would do, it totally changes the outcome
    Last edited by Paul d; November 02, 2006 at 06:05 PM.

sel: why would you kill you faction leader? i would of laughed in the senates face.
    Without a sign, his sword the brave man draws, and asks no omen but his country's cause

Liberalism is a mental disorder

Dragosani's Avatar Libertus

when i conquered the whole map except rome with the brutii the senate's missions were for me to kill my faction leader. i did it a couple of times just for fun, then slaughtered them. if i'd kept on doing it my whole line would've been goone
    I AM JOB.

How do declare war on other roman factions?

My game is now totaly divided between the three roman factions and there is nothing to conquer except region from the 2 other roman factions.
    When I trie I get the message that I havent got enough public support in the senate.

I checked and I wasnt on top in senate but I was in the people's mind.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Quote Originally Posted by Neroic
    How do declare war on other roman factions?

My game is now totaly divided between the three roman factions and there is nothing to conquer except region from the 2 other roman factions.
    When I trie I get the message that I havent got enough public support in the senate.

I checked and I wasnt on top in senate but I was in the people's mind.
    Attempt an assassination on a Senate General and that should get the civil war started.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul d
    the seleucids repeled egypt and the armenians and such and conquored all of asia minor
    yeah, every game I ever played ended up with the seleucids being wiped out pretty quickly.
    I always wondered why that was, since they've got great units... then when I actually
    tried a seleucid campaign I realized why the AI sels get wiped out so quickly- crap cities, surrounded by mostly powerful enemies.

Once you get going though, and move up the tech tree a little, you can roll over everyone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast