Thread: Cant keep the dabble happy

Default Cant keep the dabble happy

So I am currently playing a connact campaign and really enjoying it, I have always like small scale regional mods. But I'm having a problem in that I am having to garrison a huge number of troops in order to keep the people happy. I figure this is a feature of the mod, but is there any real way of counteracting unhappiness? The unhappiest provinces have 3-5 troops in them, I'm getting as many happiness upgrades as possible, and they still wont just smile for me!

Edit: note the title is supposed to say rabble
    Last edited by sitnam; December 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM.

Default Re: Cant keep the dabble happy

Quote Originally Posted by sitnam View Post
    So I am currently playing a connact campaign and really enjoying it, I have always like small scale regional mods. But I'm having a problem in that I am having to garrison a huge number of troops in order to keep the people happy. I figure this is a feature of the mod, but is there any real way of counteracting unhappiness? The unhappiest provinces have 3-5 troops in them, I'm getting as many happiness upgrades as possible, and they still wont just smile for me!

Edit: note the title is supposed to say rabble
    Great question sitnam, and yes, this is part of the game mechanics! Here are some things to consider. First, the mod uses an assimilation script for settlements. Basically, without a fully developed economy/military leadership in a settlement they're bound to revolt a lot. As the Irish, the buildings you absolutely want to prioritize when conquering a new settlement are the Ri Buiden and the Marchan. You cannot build these without first building a chieftain's hall. Please note that the chieftain's hall and settlement hall CONFLICT with each other. If you go tier 2 for either chain, you can't go tier 2 for the other. If you are a Roman/Romano faction, go settlement hall. If you are anything else, go warlord's hold always. Always. Always. These open up more law buildings that reflect higher ruling classes later on (and also enable higher tier government buildings).

Once the warholrd's settlement building is up, we can go for the Ri Buiden and Marchan, which represent the ruling social classes for the military/economy respectively. For every faction, these crucial buildings have varied names but can always be found under the following building queues "High Kingship" and "Government and Infra-Structure". These are the "base" assimilation buildings you need before you can even consider controlling the population. As an Irishman, you're lucky because most settlements you capture on Ireland will also have these buildings from the get-go. Romano factions on the mainland, however, will not. The next step after these two core buildings is building anything useful now enabled in your construction tree, which is a LOT. I personally prefer going econ chain first and try to get some health/law buildings up fast too. Health adds huge law bonuses in this mod, don't underestimate the cesspools/valetudinarii etc, these are some of the best population controllers out there.

I personally never occupy cities. Sack or destroy, or prepare for immediate toss-out from the locals. Population = bad for happiness, you really only want highly populated cities in regions you KNOW you can hold and control. Otherwise, disregard the populations, you'll earn them back anyway with low tax rates.

In general, just be prepared to lose settlements to revolt. Ideally, you'll use it to your advantage. Low on cash? Sack a settlement you want but don't need to hold, sack it again, sack it again... not only have you cleared the rebellious population, but you've handled your cash problems as well! The mod is very intentional with the revolts; historically it was very hard to assert and hold power over a region that was traditionally a different tribe or culture. If you're facing a similar culture, e.g. Irish vs Irish, you may only need to attack and hold a city 1-2 times and it'll fold into your flock quickly. When you leave Ireland though, I'd be prepared for even more revolting and sacking!

If you stick to your current path (as I used to do when I started) you'll find yourself in a bottomless pit of debt. Paying for troop upkeep in a settlement that doesn't pay it off = ditch the settlement, come back when it benefits you.

Invasio Barbarorum really rewards the Machiavellian player
    Wealth beyond measure, Outlander.

Very well said smitty. Just to add to smittys suggestion above, the settlements are in need of a provincial ruler. It is pretty much the games philosophy that a general occupies a settlement especially before it has been assimilated..Gl sitnam
    Last edited by Riothamus; December 25, 2013 at 08:48 PM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    Very well said smitty. Just to add to smittys suggestion above, the settlements are in need of a provincial ruler. It is pretty much the games philosophy that a general occupies a settlement especially before it has been assimilated..Gl sitnam
    For sure! In the absence of a general, the public order really takes a hit while assimilating. Just keep in mind those generals can cost you anywhere from 1200 to about 2400 a turn depending on your faction, so choose wisely if its his turn to sit tight or not
    Wealth beyond measure, Outlander.