Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst games of 2013

Cold_Mac's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Best/Worst games of 2013

Bad movies can make your day! Sharknado? Shymalan's Devil? Killer Klowns from Outer Space? Howard the Duck?

You hardly spent more than a few bucks on them and get tons of entertainment.
    Shale: My heart does not qualify as shiny. I kill. Frequently, and not without pleasure.
    Leliana: You had a difficult life. Deep down, at the center of your being, you are a good person. I believe that.
    Shale: Even though I have never demonstrated this aspect? How peculiar.
    Leliana: You aren't all stone, Shale. There is a person inside of you.
    Shale: If so, it is because I ate it.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

True, with movies the "bugs" such as poor costumes, acting, a crew member getting seen or such can actually add to the humor.

A game that doesnt behave as it should usually is just frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Aanker View Post
    Well, if you don't ever play bad games, you'll never know what a bad game is.

Same thing with movies really.
    You also learn to appreciate the good ones .

Every time I see a CoD game I want to play Shadow Warrior ,Metro or even Crysis .

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    True, with movies the "bugs" such as poor costumes, acting, a crew member getting seen or such can actually add to the humor.

A game that doesnt behave as it should usually is just frustrating.
    Flash Gordon comes to mind though there it might be intentional.

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

Biggest positive surprise: Shadow Warrior

Most disappointing: Rome II and X Rebirth

Best gaming experience this year: Replayed Icewind Dale + expansion with a friend in online co-op. That was just the best.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

5 best games of the year

1. The Swapper
    2. Monaco
    3. Antechamber
    4. Papers Please
    5. Mortal Kombat PC

Didn't make it on the list because it started out as a mod: Stanley Parable

Worst games of 2013
    1. Rome II
    2. Bioshock Infinite
    3. Crysis 3
    4. Cod Ghosts
    5. Battlefield 4

Most enjoyable experiences:
    restarting the original Deus Ex
    restarting Baldur's Gate wih TUTU,
    playing King's Bounty for the first time.
    NFS Underground 2 multiplayer with my 6 year old cousin (he wins every single time)
    restarting the original Fallout series (thank you GoG)
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; December 30, 2013 at 01:20 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Pielstick's Avatar Domesticus

Biggest disappointments of the year for me were Rome 2 and X-Rebirth. I was sucked into the hype and pre-purchased both. Ouch.

Best games of the year for me were Command: Modern Air & Naval Ops, and Fashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm. Both from Matrix.

Best gaming experience was when I was at sea from March to August. I had Call of Warhammer for M2TW installed on my laptop. The other engineer I was on watch with was a Total War fan and like me also used to be into Warhammer. We'd spend the time on watch discussing strategies and tactics, and then the time between watches steering Stirland to domination of the Old World. I also had a blast playing WinSPMBT and WinSPWW2 - modern Windows compatible remakes of the classic Steel Panthers games.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Best Games of 2013:

1. Last of Us - It was tough between this and the second place one but overall I felt it was better.
    2. Bioshock Infinite - Love it.
    3. GTA5 - I'm glad Rockstar went back to a more colorful and silly game like the older ones were rather then the more realistic GTA4.
    4. Papers Please - Simple game and yet engaging and fun.
    5. Xcom - Enemy Within - Take an awesome game and make it even better with an expansion pack. I'm glad that Firaxis did a knock-out with their expansion for Civ 5 and Xcom but I felt Xcom just got better compared to what Brave new world did.

Worst Games of 2013

1. Aliens: Colonial Marines - people forgotten about this game I take it ? Yeah, it was released in 2013 and it was a piece of ing . Gearbox has always been on thin ing ice with me and after this game they completely lost me.
    2. Beyond: Two Souls - David Cage boasts about how your choices matter and then he provides a game where you hardly get to make any choices and when he does, they don't matter anyway. Cage should stay away from supernatural stories because he can't tell them. The whole plot(which is all there is since there is hardly any gameplay in it) can be ripped apart so easy that it's not even challenging. This game made his previous game Heavy Rain seem like a masterpiece.
    3. X-Rebirth - I didn't really have any expectations for this game but I was blown away by how bad it was.
    4. Outlast - They tried to copy Amnesia but fell for the odd idea that alot of gore and blood somehow equals scary. It's not and it gets dull pretty fast.
    5. Sim City - Well it's EA, what do you expect ?

Most disappointing game of the year goes to Battlefield 4, it's downright scary that they can't fix the problems they are having and would almost had made it on my worst games list but I have had alot fun playing the game when it does work.

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I may not perhaps be eligible to give an opinion as I did not buy any new games this year, with the exception for Brave New World (not Iron Maiden)which I'm yet to have played. Oh, and NHL 14 though it's technically not new since they alter very few things with every "new" editon and addition...

Though it's worth mentioning the disappointment that is Rome 2. It seems all I get is disappointments these days...
    Basically every sequel is crap (with exceptionally few exceptions). Diablo 3, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2, Crysis, Splinter Cell, Hitman, Riddick, Max Payne...list can go on.
    Simply put.

All that I treasure. I curse thee world, I curse the day you were born!

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

I just finished Tomb Raider and I am slightly disappointment .

Look I didn't expect a survival simulator ,I expected that the element of Lara surviving in a foreign hostile environment would be the initial premise and she being vulnerable/inexperienced . Why did I thought this ? Since in previous games/movies Lara C. was basically a demi god who had more knowledge than any scientist ,was more athletic than any Olympics participant , could kick anybody's ass without making a sweet and being more beautiful than all the miss universes combined .The only real threat to her was Evil Lara ,because you know who else ?

It seems that the inexperienced/vulnerable Lara can take out tough survivor veterans with superior equipment,experience,numbers and on their home turf . She destroys and eradicates entire fortifications of theirs , and afters she's finished with all of that she takes out an entire Demon army whom the previously mentioned survivors didn't dare to even come close . After that she just puts a torch between the Evil Sun Queen's ribs because nobody else previously thought of doing that .
    I dare to even think what will the Veteran Lara be able to do , All nations of the world might as well capitulate .
    By the way the Evil Sun Queen has these insane Storm powers , why and how does she has them , how didn't anybody noticed in 500 hundred years that no ships or aircraft were coming back from the Dragon island . Well these questions are NEVER answered .

I loved and enjoyed the game play though .
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; December 30, 2013 at 04:12 PM.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus the Virus View Post
    Basically every sequel is crap (with exceptionally few exceptions). Diablo 3, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2, Crysis, Splinter Cell, Hitman, Riddick, Max Payne...list can go on.
    I don't believe my eyes, are you calling Max Payne 3 and Splinter Cell Blacklist crap?? I've played all MP games and 3 was definitely not bad! Can't speak for the older Splinter Cells, but Blacklist was definitely not a bad game.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

I don't really get people who say Max Payne 3 is bad... have you guys played the previous two? MP3 is superior to them in every way. It being set in Brazil instead of New York again doesn't make it a bad game.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    I don't really get people who say Max Payne 3 is bad... have you guys played the previous two? MP3 is superior to them in every way. It being set in Brazil instead of New York again doesn't make it a bad game.
    I MP3. Was waiting for it for many years and i wasn't disappointed with it at all. I played on every possible difficulty and i don't think i left any clue\unlockable etc in it. Story was also excellent.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    I wouldn't say that it is superior but MP3 was a good game tho without a doubt. They did a good job with the game and it's shame they aren't around anymore*

My favourite will always be max payne 1. That game was also quite long i think and simply great with challenging levels. The start in the subway is really awesome. Then in MP2, valdimir len was a very good character twist.

So i can get why Cyrus says that splinter cell and max series have gone a little downhill. Splinter cell was known for its great stealth which was eliminated after chaos theory. I played double agent and conviction, good games but nothing like previous ones.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Sums up my thoughts pretty well.

Hands down, best purchase I've ever made was in 2013: Red Orchestra 2: Rising Storm, easily best game of the year. Honorabru mentions go out to BioShock Infinite (oh gawsh, ma feelz) and Metro: Last Light, both are amazing.

Worst: Colonial Marines.

Biggest Letdown: Rome 2. Enjoy it, but not even close to reaching its full potential.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

RO2 was my game of the year last year.

This year it's CK II.

Far Cry 2 gets my honorable mention every year.

Also agree about Rome II -- easily the most disappointing. Not sure it's the 'worst' game of the year but it's completely destroyed my faith in CA and in the TW series.

Oh man, I almost forgot Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon!!! The epicness and synthyness of this DLC cannot be overstated lol. Might have been the most enjoyable thing I purchased for under $5 this year.
    Last edited by DarthShizNit; December 31, 2013 at 06:02 PM.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    RO2 was my game of the year last year.

This year it's CK II.

Far Cry 2 gets my honorable mention every year.

Also agree about Rome II -- easily the most disappointing. Not sure it's the 'worst' game of the year but it's completely destroyed my faith in CA and in the TW series.
    CK2 came out in 2012.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast