Thread: Berber Strategy?

Default Berber Strategy?

Having a lot of fun with this mod, so I decided to challenge myself. I've been trying to develop some sort of strategy to win with the Berbers on VH/VH.

Is this even possible? Your income sinks all the way down to the red in 2 turns, even after disbanding your cavalry. If I decide to attack the Vandals, they'll just counter with more and better stacks. Touching the rebel settlement to the north gets you knocked out by a rebel full stack. It doesn't help that they statistically have the game's worst units and they can't horde out of their crappy lands.

Anyone had any sort of luck with these guys? They just seem like Numidia 2.0.

Default Re: Berber Strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by jbelaguas View Post
    Having a lot of fun with this mod, so I decided to challenge myself. I've been trying to develop some sort of strategy to win with the Berbers on VH/VH.

Is this even possible? Your income sinks all the way down to the red in 2 turns, even after disbanding your cavalry. If I decide to attack the Vandals, they'll just counter with more and better stacks. Touching the rebel settlement to the north gets you knocked out by a rebel full stack. It doesn't help that they statistically have the game's worst units and they can't horde out of their crappy lands.

VH VH w/the Berber is prob the most difficult faction and settings to play. Im one who thinks VH VH settings should be just that. Hopefully someone can point you in a helpful direction but I would recommend H/M settings with this faction

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by jbelaguas View Post

never play a battle in VH--for any faction: the games are generally made for Medium levels.

as to strategy: I'm afraid you're going to have to hone your guerilla war skills: a set piece battle as Berbers is suicide.
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

By then since the ai gets all those goodies exploit everything you can. (Bugs, ai dumb stuff, cheesing, etc)
    炸鸡

Sigma's Avatar Ducenarius

I just got done playing a Berber game (H/M) actually, my advice is simply to go east, push the Vandals out of North Africa as quick as you can, you're going to be tight on money for a little bit until you capture a few Vandal cities. After that build your forces up a little bit more while spying and signing trade agreements with many factions. Keep pushing East, and be sure to watch your income as you build armies and be sure to build some income producing buildings to fortify your money flow. My armies mostly consisted of arab swords/axemen and a lot of desert cavalry. Once you take East Roman cities in Egypt you're pretty much good and don't have to worry too much anymore as the East Romans are usually too busy struggling with the Persians to retaliate much against you. A mistake I made though was to stop moving east after taking all North Africa was to attempt to attack Spain through the Gibraltar strait. I managed to only take one city and my armies were pretty much mauled by stacks of Visigoths soon after.

Also your unit roster for the Berbers is always going to suck and the only way you will get better units is through hiring mercenaries.