Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The LOTR and Hobbit movie franchise spin off thread. Share your ideas about new ones here!

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Icon7 The LOTR and Hobbit movie franchise spin off thread. Share your ideas about new ones here!

After the release of the second Hobbit movie, it has become clear that the people behind the movie franchise can get away with just about any change they make to the original material.
    I suspect that they would not want to end their cash cow enterprise with the last Hobbit installment.
    This thread is meant for you to use your imagination and come up with possible spin offs that could be made into a new movie, tv series, documentary, musical/theatre production or any other form of mass communication medium.

Both serious entries, e.g. you would like a HBO series being made about the events of the "Last alliance of Elves and Man", as (slightly) humorous ones e.g. a quiz program called "Spot the dwarve woman" are very welcome.
    All posts should have at least some reference to LOTR + appendices or the Hobbit. AFAIK the the rights to other Tolkien works are currently "safe" so they are off limits here.
    Edit: Since it has become clear that quite a lot of people want to share their "other Tolkien works" spin off ideas, I decided they should be officially declared ON TOPIC.

I will kick off with a few examples:

• Bare hand fishing, a how to video starring Gollum, narrated by Smeagol.
    • The battle of Erebor, an epic movie about the big battle between Saurons forces and the army of men and dwarves during march TA 3019.
    • Tom Bombadil the musical, starring Brian Blessed wearing a bright blue jacket and yellow boots.

EDIT:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Please share your best (or worse) Lotr spin off ideas here.
    Last edited by Veteraan; April 10, 2017 at 04:54 AM.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Redgrave's Avatar Civis

Default Re: The LOTR and Hobbit movie franchise, what will they think of next? What can you come up with???

We're taking the Hobbits to Isengard

A behind-the-scenes documentary showing what a day in the life of an Uruk-hai soldier is really like.
    Episode 1: Saruman narrowly avoids a court case for forcing his soldiers to go too far without a rest
    Episode 2: The Uruk-hai engage in team-building exercises with Orcs from Mordor
    Episode 3: The Uruk-hai are threatened by rival company, Rohan Hobbitmovers, who attempt to steal the cargo
    Episode 4: Disaster strikes as the cargo has been lost somehow! Featuring an exclusive interview with boss Ugluk

Of course, to make PJ's wallet as fat as possible ( ), each episode will be split into 48292758503837593828492927 seperate films, each 3 hours too long and each inventing loads of stuff that didn't happen according to Tolkien.
    One does not desire the power of a nation,
    So much as one treasures reputation.
    This poem is not a 'trap', nor a 'trep',
    It is simply a device for the collection of rep.

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: The LOTR and Hobbit movie franchise, what will they think of next? What can you come up with???

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    Tom Bombadil the musical, starring Brian Blessed wearing a bright blue jacket and yellow boots.
    I'd watch that.

Heck, I'd watch all of those!
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

A film about the Downfall of Nûmenor. How Sauron gets captured, and corrupts them. The end of the film would show the few surviving faithfull people sailing to middle earth.

Þiudreiks's Avatar Civis

We are talking Peej and Warner level stupidity here so I would say Middle-Earth's Deadliest Warriors. It would be like that stupid show Deadliest Warriors but with the peoples of middle earth from the movies.
    Everybody has opinions: I have them, you have them. And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, that’s horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, it’s nothing. It’s just bibble-babble. It’s like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks. -Harlan Ellison

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Þiudreiks View Post
    We are talking Peej and Warner level stupidity here so I would say Middle-Earth's Deadliest Warriors. It would be like that stupid show Deadliest Warriors but with the peoples of middle earth from the movies.
    Answer is elves. With their L33t kungfoo and sparkles, nothing can stand against them.

Tom Bombadil the musical, starring Brian Blessed wearing a bright blue jacket and yellow boots.
    Ye gods, I would pay good money to watch that.

HEY DOL, MERRY DOL, RING A DINGA DING DILLO
    GOLDBERRY!! FRESH HORSES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Redgrave View Post
    We're taking the Hobbits to Isengard
    A behind-the-scenes documentary showing what a day in the life of an Uruk-hai soldier is really like.
    Episode 1: Saruman narrowly avoids a court case for forcing his soldiers to go too far without a rest
    Episode 2: The Uruk-hai engage in team-building exercises with Orcs from Mordor
    Episode 3: The Uruk-hai are threatened by rival company, Rohan Hobbitmovers, who attempt to steal the cargo
    Episode 4: Disaster strikes as the cargo has been lost somehow! Featuring an exclusive interview with boss Ugluk
    Of course, to make PJ's wallet as fat as possible ( ), each episode will be split into 48292758503837593828492927 seperate films, each 3 hours too long and each inventing loads of stuff that didn't happen according to Tolkien.
    Yes, I suppose you could make an almost infinite number of (scripted) reality type documentaries like these. I wonder if anybody else can come up with some other "blockbuster" ideas for this?

• Bare hand fishing, a how to video starring Gollum, narrated by Smeagol.
    • The battle of Erebor, an epic movie about the big battle between Saurons forces and the army of men and dwarves during march TA 3019.
    • Tom Bombadil the musical, starring Brian Blessed wearing a bright blue jacket and yellow boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Fist View Post
    I'd watch that.
    Heck, I'd watch all of those!
    Thank you, I was beginning to wonder if some of you actually liked this kind of playful speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch-Balrog View Post
    A film about the Downfall of Nûmenor. How Sauron gets captured, and corrupts them. The end of the film would show the few surviving faithfull people sailing to middle earth.
    Nice one. This could actually provide some interesting drama. I suspect it would not be PJ's cup of tea because of the lack of great action scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Þiudreiks View Post
    Don't know what "Deadliest Warriors" is (a TV show, I presume?) but there are certainly enough deadly warriors running around ME to pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankbustaz View Post
    HEY DOL, MERRY DOL, RING A DINGA DING DILLO
    GOLDBERRY!! FRESH HORSES!!!
    I wanted to post that silly little quote myself but didn't take the time to go look for it. So thank you for that.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Don't know what "Deadliest Warriors" is (a TV show, I presume?) but there are certainly enough deadly warriors running around ME to pull it off.
    An old, hilariously cheesy (Not to mention bad) TV show.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Behind the Evil: Sauron - a behind the scenes look at his corruption, downfall, his struggle with alcohol and ring addictions as well as his ultimate redemption through involvement with charitable organizations for inner-city kids.

How I Met Your Mother: Samwise Gamgee edition

Retell the entire trilogy in sitcom style, and just like the original piece of **** TV series, not get around to the 'point' until the veeeeeeeeery end.

Also, it has to be terrible. None of this 'some good episodes, some bad episodes' thing. All bad.
    "Far better is it to have a stout heart always, and suffer one's share of evils, than to be ever fearing what may happen, and never incur a mischance." - Herodotus

Cold_Mac's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by theworldstage View Post
    How I Met Your Mother: Samwise Gamgee edition

Retell the entire trilogy in sitcom style, and just like the original piece of **** TV series, not get around to the 'point' until the veeeeeeeeery end.

Also, it has to be terrible. None of this 'some good episodes, some bad episodes' thing. All bad.
    So a "How I met Rosie" with Sauron as the detestable dad that gets centric episode after centric episode despite being endlessly annoying, stupid and unfunny?

The solely likeable character that is married & hopelessly in love with the, by far, least likeable character? Gollum with Frodo Elijah Wood? Saruman with Radagast?

Who'll be the girl that flick-flack changes whom of the two-bro-mates-of-all-time (has to be said at least 5x per episode) she loves/sleeps with/both? Galadriel? Remember, its How I met your Mother. It can't be bad enough.
    Last edited by Cold_Mac; December 28, 2013 at 05:00 PM.
    Shale: My heart does not qualify as shiny. I kill. Frequently, and not without pleasure.
    Leliana: You had a difficult life. Deep down, at the center of your being, you are a good person. I believe that.
    Shale: Even though I have never demonstrated this aspect? How peculiar.
    Leliana: You aren't all stone, Shale. There is a person inside of you.
    Shale: If so, it is because I ate it.

Senator

I would love to see a Blackadder set in Middle Earth.

Rowan Atkinson as a dispossessed Gondorian Noble
    Tony Robinson as the dirtiest nastiest Stoor Ever
    Tim McInnerny as the stupidest elf ever

Hugh Laurie as a dull Northman from VoA

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

Ax Men : Middle-Earth. A documentary style show, that takes us into the lives of hard working Ents as they struggle to fight of loggers who are destroying their home simply for profit.

Chieftain Khuzaymah's Avatar Domesticus

TV-series "Games of Dwarves" where the viewers will enjoy several dwarf games like adjust your chainmail just before battle, beer drinking contests, jump off a huge fortress wall to save your friends who are really miles away, flooding down a river in a barrel and play hide and seek with a dragon. How to? A look behind the scenes. But, do not try this at home! Especially the latter!

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chieftain Khuzaymah View Post
    TV-series "Games of Dwarves" where the viewers will enjoy several dwarf games like adjust your chainmail just before battle, beer drinking contests, jump off a huge fortress wall to save your friends who are really miles away, flooding down a river in a barrel and play hide and seek with a dragon. How to? A look behind the scenes. But, do not try this at home! Especially the latter!
    I would give away everything I own to watch that. I would sell my soul to take part in it.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Senator

Some of these are quite nice. Don't give Warner Bros. any ideas guys.

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    I would give away everything I own to watch that. I would sell my soul to take part in it.
    I know a guy who's interested in buying souls...

Middle Earth's Got Talent with the White Council judging.
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Nice going gents, keep it up!

I came up with a "serious" suggestion, a TV series about the Hunt for Gollum. This would be a tale of the Quest taken by Aragorn and Gandalf to capture Gollum. There would be room for action and a visit to places and characters we had not seen (much off) before.
    I was surprised to learn (some of you probably knew) that a movie by this title already exists. It's by no means big budget and can be found here:

Another more light hearted one would be a Mastermind kind of program where contestants could compete against each other on the subject of LOTR and the Hobbit lore.

A random list of possible contestants:

And of course the Foreman? of the jury:

Last edited by Veteraan; July 28, 2014 at 06:01 AM.

I was thinking about the destruction of Arnor by the Witch king.
    Could be made into a TV series or a Film. What you guys think?

Radboud's Avatar Luctor et Emergo

The Children of Húrin might be a possibility.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast