Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wings of Destiny - a FotS AAR (Updated Chapter 12 - Apr 24)

Default Re: The Wings of Destiny - a FotS AAR (Updated Chapter 3 - Jan 19)

Quote Originally Posted by f0ma View Post
    First of all a hearty welcome back!

Apologies for not reading over this sooner, university has been particularly grueling as of late. Your prose is as intoxicating as ever though. I enjoyed the way you portrayed Shinichi's errant thoughts in the first chapter. Perhaps it was only because he was drunk, but I always love an unreliable narrator. The linguistic devices you've chosen to employ are quite exceptional too; one in particular has me doubting whether it's intentional or a typo

Pray continue, I look forward to accompanying you on this journey
    Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you liked the first chapter - with the way I inspire myself you can expect a few more chapters like that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserina Kratos View Post
    Oh Robin, you still are good at this after a long long break.

I really love the way you write in a first person perspective with all those carefully assembled details. It just builds up the entire setting in my mind as if I am somehow inside the story witnessing it first hand. If this was the middle ages, I'd certainly call your talent sorcery! (Hang the witch/warlock!!!) With this kind of writing, pictures wouldnt be necessary unless it is about the current geopolitical situation of the campaign map.

Just continue pleasing your readers Robin. You Rock!!!
    +Rep
    SUBSCRIBED
    Welcome back, and thanks for all the kind words. I shall endeavour!
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Default Re: The Wings of Destiny - a FotS AAR (Updated Chapter 3 - Jan 19)

4. A deal struck

December 1865, Kagoshima

“Glover & Co…”

I glanced upwards at the lacquered name plate as I stepped through the narrow doorway. Guraba-san’s quarters were reliably filled with clutter. Everything from dusty books and drawings of obscure weapons to obscure foreign trinkets lined the shelves. I suppressed a cough as the stench of snuff, drink filled my nostrils, and extended my arm to greet my host in the gaikokujin custom. My various visits here to acquire foreign weaponry had bred a sort of familiarity between the two of us. It was apparent to both of us that my latest visit served a similar purpose.

“Guraba-san,” I began, “Hisamitsu-sama sends his regards. I trust you are well on this fine day…”

For reasons I shall never comprehend, these gaikokujin – Guraba-san referred to himself as a “Scot” and often chastised me for calling him British like the others – had the curious habit of speaking of the weather when greeting one another. I was happy enough to oblige, but on this day I could sense a rare urgency within the merchant. The auburn hairs protruding from his face twitched eagerly as he breathed in and out. A fox on the hunt would have been an apt comparison, I decided.

“Never mind the weather, Shinichi my friend! The day is ripe for a deal – what can I offer you this time ye young haddock?”

I shrugged off Guraba-san’s eccentric greetings, and laid out Hisamitsu’s requirements. Despite the size of our request, the merchant showed considerable surprise at my request for his second best guns. The man had been a minor peddler in Nagasaki, and it was our willingness to pay for his best wares that elevated him to his current position. We were trying to short change him, he must have thought. The disappointment on his face was palpable.

“It is for another, Guraba-san, hence the need to be cautious. How quickly can you deliver these guns to Choshu-han? I will join you on the voyage – but you will be paid upon arrival.”

The merchant's eyes widened, and the disappointment on his face quickly gave way to intrigue. His response of five days – three to gather the wares and two to complete the delivery – was satisfactory. I left Hisamitsu’s specifications with the merchant, and turned to exit. The odours of Guraba-san’s cabin were increasingly grating against my throat. My front foot was half way through the door when a new gun on the deck caught my eye. Standing several feet tall, the bronze contraption resembled the cannons on the black ship. Two large wheels straddled a central “barrel”, but unlike the cannons, the barrel looked more like a bundle of bamboo strung together. Fascinated, I turned once more to face the Guraba-san.

“Ahh…Shinichi old lad, that’s a great thing I’ve got there,” the wily merchant began. I watched as Guraba-san’s deck hand fed a belt of sorts into an opening in the side of the gun. Content that the deck had been cleared and the moment was ripe for a demonstration, the merchant pointed the gun towards a bale of straw on the far end of the merchant vessel. I watched in silence as he took hold of a wooden handle installed on the rear of the device. What happened next could only be described as the sound of a thousand oni shattering the gates of hell, with the deadliness of a teppo battalion firing in unison. I watched in stunned silence as the obscure weapon peppered the straw with bullets, shredding the target in several short seconds. As the smoke and noise faded across the bay, I demanded the price for such a weapon, and how many we could acquire.

“That's going to cost you, my boy…”

The merchant seemed to suddenly reconsider. Something was evidently troubling him greatly. My heart sank when the man reopened his mouth.

“No…no…I can’t…the Mathesons would have my guts for garters if I sold the Gatling to these…”

“Guraba-san!” I pressed bluntly. My conviction that this “Gatling” represented firepower unmatched by anything in our arsenal drove me to promise something I had no right to offer, “You'd do well to remember to whom you owe your present affluence. If you would allow our purchase, I will ensure a personal audience with Hisamitsu-sama himself. You will hold the sole right to trade arms in Kagoshima.”

I could sense the dilemma brewing over the merchant’s brows, but before long an impossibly wide grin had spread across his ample face. Stepping off the merchant vessel minutes later I congratulated myself on what I felt was an important bargain, but also pondered how I would seek pardon from Hisamitsu-sama and Takamori-sama in the days to come. I was so engrossed in the rehearsal of my explanation that I collided almost head-long into an oncoming messenger. Picking myself up, I recognised the man as one of Takamori-sama’s attendants. I could scarcely believe my eyes as I unfolded the message he had for me.

“Shinichi, another will take over the delivery to Choshu-han. We leave for Shimonoseki at daybreak tomorrow. There are more important matters at hand. Saigo.”
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; August 23, 2014 at 10:50 AM.

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Default Re: The Wings of Destiny - a FotS AAR (Updated Chapter 4 - Feb 5)

Well well well, look who has returned. Looks like i got to start going back into writers study to read this story play out.

Good update man, keep up the work.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔The Black Knight♔ View Post
    Well well well, look who has returned. Looks like i got to start going back into writers study to read this story play out.

Good update man, keep up the work.
    The voices...they talk to me...and then I write things down...

It feels good to be back. Thanks a lot for commenting - let's see where this goes then.

5. Shimonoseki

December 1865, Shimonoseki

“Dozo.”

I bowed slightly, thanking the attendant as he laid out the tea for Takamori-sama and I. The quality of the refreshments on offer always foretold the tone of a meeting, my master would often say in the past. The light aroma that now filled the room told of high quality leaves. That was unsurprising given the standing of our host, but the austere nature of the utensils – despite the lavish décor of the Mori estate at large – quickly dispelled any illusions that this would be anything other than deadly intense. The look on Kido Takayoshi’s face was stern, with deep furrows stretching across his forehead. For one of the most respected commanders in the south, Kido Takayoshi’s frame was slight, not least compared to the man-mountain that was Takamori-sama.

“Takamori-san, this is an unexpected visit. We had sent our request via your boy, but there was no need for you to visit personally. A messenger announcing your arrival would have allowed us to prepare a banquet, or at least more adequately than this.”

The man’s voice was raspy, but the assuredness in his tone contradicted his claim of surprise. Still the deference in his choice of words suggested the initiative was still with us. Choshu-han was most at threat from a belligerent shogunate, after all, and Satsuma-han was one of few which had the resources to be of assistance.

“Well met, Takayoshi-san. Hisamitsu-sama sends his personal regards to Motonori-sama and yourself. I hope the news that our supplier of foreign guns will be visiting Hagi will be a pleasant one. With the advantage of superior arms, no number of the shogun’s men would best the mighty Kiheitai.”

“And these guns, they will be paid for by Satsuma-han?”

“Well…no. The winter has not been kind to us. Numerous families are without homes along the peninsula, and the clan’s resources are already stretched sheltering the weak and hungry. Our years with the trade with the gaikokujin should guarantee a most favourable rate on the guns, though. I’m sure a few teppo won’t trouble the Mori’s finances?”

The subtlest hints of anger flashed across Takayoshi’s forehead before he resumed his calm. Eyeing our host I bowed as respectfully as I could before explaining the arrangement with Garuba-san, and the costs involved in the shipment. No mention was made of our purchase of the “Gatling” from the same man, of course.

“And will Satsuma-han be sending men to our aid? The Kiheitai fear no-one, but we are but three hundred. The total force in Choshu-han number just three thousand. The shogun has already announced a second ‘expedition’ against our lands, and their ranks are swelled by bounty-hunters and those treacherous clans in the north. Fifty thousand was the number last spoken of.”

“We will send six hundred men, equipped with the latest armaments. But you, Takayoshi-san, will need to clothe them, and they will fight under your banner.”

“…”

“Satuma-han cannot be seen to be openly defying the shogunate – it is too early for open insurrection, you and I both know that well. The other clans are not ready for what’s to come.”

“Who would come to our aid when they see we stand alone?” Takayoshi’s voice was filled with venom and frustration in equal parts, evidently displeased at our perceived lack of commitment. “The shogun outnumbers us ten-fold, twenty-fold, perhaps more. You know as well as I that the clans sway like willow in the wind.”

“No. Our work can be done in the shadows. The shogun’s men are many, but opportunists and untrained loyalists aren’t the concern their numbers suggest. The discrepancy in armaments isn’t nearly as wide, especially if you would consider the merchant’s offers. You have my word that we Shimazu have no intention of seeing Choshu-han fall – for there is little doubt Yoshinobu and his lackeys would target Satsuma-han next…”

The discussion continued apace, with each side offering arguments and counter-arguments like an engaging game of shogi. The substance of the agreement shifted little though, and it was eventually settled upon that six hundred Satsuma men would reinforce Choshu-han before the winter’s end. As Takamori-sama and I exited the Mori residence, my curiosity overcame me.

“Takamori-sama, if I may be so bold, what good does a company of just six hundred men serve against the shogun’s thousands?”

“Shinichi, the answer is perhaps very little, but we have guns, and the shogun does not. If the men fight well, and the Mori care about a town they’ve ruled for fifteen generations, the shogun can be defeated. Have faith boy, desperation is a powerful thing after all.”

“Takamori-sama, do you not trust the Mori? Or Kido Takayoshi?”

“Do you?”

I fell quiet, digesting Takamori-sama’s rhetorical question. It was obvious the fates of Choshu-han and Satsuma-han – and all other tozama domains thereafter – were connected in these times of struggle, but perhaps the decision to preserve our strength was a prudent one. As we strolled across the machi I had one final question.

“Takamori-sama, if I may ask: who will lead this band of unfortunate men?”

“I’m glad you asked, Shinichi,” the giant samurai suddenly stopped and placed a strong hand upon my shoulder, “You, Beppu Shinichi, will lead the six hundred. You can bring your ‘Gatling’ with you too – if the device is as powerful as the gaikokujin suggests then perhaps Hisamitsu-sama will look more kindly on having his source of weaponry narrowed to one man.”

Nary was a word spoken as we turned toward the docks. The shelling of Shimonoseki by the foreign fleets was several years ago now, but the town still bore the scars of that night of destruction. Large gaps were left where buildings were not rebuilt, and the winds howled mercilessly all around us. The icy squalls blasting against my face felt like daggers cutting into bone and flesh, but all of a sudden nothing left me feeling colder than the thought of what lay ahead.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; August 23, 2014 at 10:50 AM.

Default Re: The Wings of Destiny - a FotS AAR (Updated Chapter 5 - Feb 10)

What's this? I've been gone for seven days and now there are two updates? That's rather quick of you Robin.

And then what's this again? Gatling guns this early in the game? If I remember it right, Gatling guns can only be acquired in the late game.

And what's this again for the last time? Well, it's a +rep. I really enjoy your AARs Robin especially when you shower a little bit of romance into them. (even the slightest hint) It makes girls like me enjoy your AAR. Keep up the good work man.
    "I know you. I can see right through you. You're swearing now that one day you will destroy me. Remember, far better women than you have sworn to do the same. Come look at them now."
    -Atia

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Great update! The battle for Hiroshima looks like it will be a good one! + rep
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserina Kratos View Post
    What's this? I've been gone for seven days and now there are two updates? That's rather quick of you Robin.

And then what's this again? Gatling guns this early in the game? If I remember it right, Gatling guns can only be acquired in the late game.

And what's this again for the last time? Well, it's a +rep. I really enjoy your AARs Robin especially when you shower a little bit of romance into them. (even the slightest hint) It makes girls like me enjoy your AAR. Keep up the good work man.
    Gotta keep up. Glad you're enjoying it - about the Gatling gun...let's just say I don't always play the game by the rules it came with.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    Great update! The battle for Hiroshima looks like it will be a good one! + rep
    Thank you.

6. Rebellion

February 1865, Hyuga

Nobeoka Castle was barely visible through the rolling mist, but there was little question where our destination laid. The men were deadly silent as the men advanced – the charred remains of the Hyuga-shi machi reminded us of our purpose here today. This had been a bustling market town just weeks ago, but evidently nothing was spared when the flames of rebellion swept through Hyuga domain. In name our foe today was but a band of rebel samurai, but in their discontent these renegades had overpowered the ruling Nabeshima family. It would be a good early test for me, Takamori-sama had said, and an opportunity for we Shimazu to extend our influence over southern Kyushu.

Casting my eyes across the ranks, I recounted the day I plucked them from the rank and file of the Shimazu household under my mentor’s auspices. These men owed their loyalty to him, not me, but that was sufficient for now. Some of these men were samurai: they were made the captains once I had divided the six hundred into platoons of ten. Others had been ronin to whom the Shimazu had given shelter. Many more were simply men of the land who had put their hand up when we issued the call to arms. The kindness Hisamitsu-sama and the other elders showed when they offered the family grain to save the townsfolk from famine was evidently not forgotten – a number of men I conversed with back in Kagoshima saw service as a way to repay their daimyo’s kindness. I would honour their sacrifice, I told myself. My plan was a simple one, but would hopefully prove effective. If all else failed, Guruba-san’s guns would give us an advantage over these bandits.

Stopping on the edge of the castle machi, I motioned for halt. The mist had cleared somewhat, and our foe, having spotted our approach, now lined the walls of the castle. Having separately given instructions to the gunners and spearmen, I motioned for the former to advance until they were in just in range of the walls.

As the crackle of gunfire echoed across the landscape, men fell on both sides. Watching the gunners as they frantically tried to reload, I bit my tongue. Counting inwardly I fought the urge to send more support. Close quarter fighting would be required to overcome this castle, but having the melee advance under a hail of gunfire would have caused a wasteful loss of life. The scouting party I’d sent ahead should have reached their appointed destination by now. It wouldn’t be long now, I told myself.

Hoooooo…

Thankfully, it took mere minutes for my nervous prayers to be answered. The eerie coo of the kabura arrow was barely audible above the din of battle, but distinctive nonetheless. Normally reserved for ritual purposes in this age, the signal meant our assault on the tenshu could now start in earnest. Urging the men forward I drew my katana and pointed it at the structure before us. It was time for butchers’ work.

“Charge!!”

Running at the head of the assault party posed obvious risks, but for the most part the defenders seemed preoccupied with our gunners, and our progress was relatively unobstructed. Having climbed the short incline to the first kuruwa, I briefly took in the sight of our foe, torn between repelling our attack and investigating the fire that had been started at their rear. A few of the enemy moved to repel our advance, but these were dispatched of easily enough. Once a sizeable party of men had gathered at my side by the walls, we took after the ranks of bandits who were still firing upon the gunners below. Launching ourselves blade first into the crowd gathered against the walls, several heads flew before our foe managed to muster up any resistance. The samurai who flanked me were better swordsmen, in truth, and fell more of the enemy than I did. But against men who had but teppo in hand, my technique – hitherto only tested in practices and against bamboo poles – proved sufficient. Once the leader of these men had been felled there was little doubt to the outcome.

Standing in the hon-maru courtyard, I watched as the remainder of the rebel samurai were rounded up and bound. The order from Takamori-sama was not to cause bloodshed, but simply to assume control of the region. We would offer any willing reformers employment within our ranks, he had said. After all, every willing man could prove an asset in the fight that was to come. Looking skyward, my thoughts were interrupted by a heavy slap across my shoulder. Turning to my brother I offered a tired smile. Taking Shinsuke was a calculated risk, but the boy had acquitted himself suitably today, fighting alongside those creating the diversion in the castle's rear. Judging from the splatters of dry blood caked across his front, he’d found himself a workout, too.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; August 16, 2014 at 11:10 AM.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: The Wings of Destiny - a FotS AAR (Updated Chapter 6 - Feb 23)

Nice update! Loved the picture at the beginning of the chapter. It really set the tone for the story! Look forward to the next update!
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    Nice update! Loved the picture at the beginning of the chapter. It really set the tone for the story! Look forward to the next update!
    Thanks my friend. Glad you liked it.

Struggling for motivation to write at the moment. Pretty disheartened by what's going on around the site (the lack of activity, but other things too) which has prevented much writing. I'll try to get something up before too long.

Oh wait, Lord Robin. I came back from Pluto just to read the new chapter. Please dont be disheartened. Your loyal followers needs you Robin-sama!

I'll be back to Pluto after this, but remember this: I SHALL RETURN!!!
    "I know you. I can see right through you. You're swearing now that one day you will destroy me. Remember, far better women than you have sworn to do the same. Come look at them now."
    -Atia

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Aye, lack of activity is a major downer.

That's what we are for though, to keep things active I guess, we did it once... we can do it again. if you are talking about the WS that is... motivational speech over

Great work on this AAR, you really are quite the word-smith.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

So what I'm gonna say is that you should let me win our little competition of who takes longer time to update his AAR...

This is too good to just let it die, so I hope that your mojo comes back soon!

Citizen

Blog Entries

Does this count as winning?

But yes, I agree with what the boss says, we want... (wait for it)... MOAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    So what I'm gonna say is that you should let me win our little competition of who takes longer time to update his AAR...

This is too good to just let it die, so I hope that your mojo comes back soon!

I do want to continue this - I have most of the story planned out in my head, but finding the time to write has been a challenge (I probably write about 5,000 words weekly for my job). Might give you a run for your money in that contest

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    Does this count as winning?

But yes, I agree with what the boss says, we want... (wait for it)... MOAR!
    You, sir, are a disgrace for doing that with your AAR. Of all the people who can ask for MOAR...
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; July 18, 2014 at 09:43 PM.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Never before has a tortoise asked for more?

7. For honour

March 1865, Hagi

“Yes. Yes it is. It is time.”

So in an instant it was decided. For a tantalising moment, little happened. The air was thick with anticipation, and the audience were leaning forward but slack jawed, barely believing what they had just witnessed. But soon the Mori clansmen around us exploded into wild cheers, feverish discussions and bullish declarations of strength. Voices of dissent were few, and those who dared speak were quickly rebuked by those around them. The Mori name had suffered a great treachery at Sekigahara. That was more than two centuries ago now, but the regret was passed on through the generations. For two hundred years the Mori elders would convene at Hanami, Takamori-sama had explained ahead of our arrival, and every year the clan elders would ask their daimyo whether the time was ripe to rise up against the Tokugawa. For two hundred years the answer had always been a resounding no. For two hundred years the shame of losing Aki, home of the great Motonari, lay unavenged.

Now standing, Mori Takachika motioned for silence, and cleared his throat before continuing.

“As we speak the shogun again plots against us. The Tokugawa dog is blind to his own failings, and instead seeks to wage senseless war against those more righteous than he. No more – it is time we Mori answer the call of our ancestors, to rise and fight for the honour of this family, to take back what is ours! We prepare for war!”

Fire burned inside the man's eyes. In an instant his clan had turned their backs on generations of indecision. He, Mori Takachika, had committed his kinsmen to war, and pride now beamed from those steely eyes. There are many merits to peace, of course, but it was clear he had dreamt of this moment – the moment the family's disgrace could be erased forever. The Mori were samurai again.

Kido Takayoshi’s face beamed with pride even as the others swirled in their revelry, and nodded subtly in our direction. The negotiations with the Mori gatekeeper had been long and difficult, but ultimately fruitful. The six point proposal I'd taken to Kagoshima was agreed upon, but other arrangements were also made. Now Takamori-sama and I sat to his right as guests of the Mori household. It was decided that the alliance itself would be kept from all but the most senior Mori elders for fear of a leak. Our preparations for war would be conducted with as much secrecy as could be maintained. The odds against us were great, and whatever element of surprise we could muster had to be preserved. Silent, my master raised his chalice in Takayoshi’s direction, and I followed suit.

Taking my leave behind Takamori-sama we strode out into the courtyard. The Mori residence was as impressive as it was large, and lined with groomed trees and flowing water. The light had faded long ago, and only a few lonely stars now illuminated the polished tile roofs above us. As we walked I recounted the intelligence the pigeons had carried from Kyoto and Edo. The latest reports from Kyoto told of a second expedition to subjugate Choshu-han, and the shogunate’s attempts to muster troops from the various northern clans. The Matsudaira of Aizu, the Hayashi of Jozai, the Makino of Nagaoka were the most eager, as can be expected, but almost all of the northern fudai families were said to have heeded the Tokugawa’s call. All was quiet now, but that would surely change sooner rather than later. We’d need to muster more men than three hundred Kiheitai and six hundred farm hands from Kagoshima. Guns would be required in impressive quantities. Our friendship with the Mori would be tested over time – even now many in Kagoshima remained sceptical of their substance – but perhaps shared adversity against a common foe would bring us closer, I hoped.

“Shinichi, return to Kagoshima and relay the events of today to Hisamitsu-sama and the elders. Tell them that the accord has been concluded as expected. Be sure to explain the conviction and heart these men showed today. Tell them the Mori will fight well to preserve their homeland. It will be important the old beards at home to hear we are not alone in this quest.

Thereafter seek an audience with the Nanban merchant. Buy the best he is able to offer, but more importantly hire officers to train our men. The northern domains can muster a hundred thousand men with ease, so we must counter with quality. I will travel to Tosa domain in the meantime. Sakmoto Ryoma is a friend, influential within the Tosa hierarchy, and has offered me an audience with the Yamauchi. This is not a fight that can be won alone, and we need more friends than just Takayoshi. Tosa domain’s prowess at sea would be an asset if we are to prevail.”

I nodded to my master as he spoke, and received my orders with as much gusto as I could muster given the late hour. The coming months and years would be long and difficult, I knew. Takamori-sama had often explained in the past the sacrifices required for us to achieve our goals. The shogun was weaker now, and the current trajectory of events had the potential to change everything we have come to know, he had said. The odds of victory would not be in our favour, but under Takamori-sama perhaps that would be enough, I told myself.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; August 23, 2014 at 10:48 AM.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robin de Bodemloze View Post
    You, sir, are a disgrace for doing that with your AAR. Of all the people who can ask for MOAR...

Aww I felt sorry for you so I thought I would catch up with what I've missed. I always favoured the Shogunate in ROTS so I hope the Tosa don't agree to any requests of an alliance.

Default Re: The Wings of Destiny - a FotS AAR (Updated Chapter 7 - Jul 20)

8. Training

May 1865, Kagoshima

“Ready your guns…FIRE!!”

I scanned the ranks of men as the clap of gunfire filled the air. There were still those who would fire moments after the others, but at large we had achieved something close to a volley. For a host of farm hands, attendants and aspiring townsfolk the progress they made in the past weeks was commendable. Some of the elders in the Shimazu household had objected, but Takamori-sama had insisted we train the new recruits in the gaikokujin tradition. Aside from several dozen ronin we took in following the Hyuga campaigns, few of these men had experienced any serious martial training. Under normal circumstances these laymen would offer little resistance against honed samurai. Armed with guns however, they would form a formidable barrier against the shogun’s men, or so we hoped. With Takamori-sama insisting that I lead these men against the shogun’s forces, it was safe to say I had an intense interest in their competence.

“Second row reload, third row ready – FIRE!!”

Clearing the sulphurous odour from my throat I focused my eyes on the auburn-haired man gesticulating and yelling instructions to reload and repeat. According to Guraba-san who had made the recommendation, our man had been an officer in the British fleets. But the combination of a free spirit and distaste for authority led him to seek his fortunes in Dejima, where he became under the employ of the Dutch traders. A keen marksmen, and apparently handy with a sword too, Kebin-san seemed an worthy choice as we sought a captain. The shogun had announced a second campaign against Choshu-han mere weeks after our visit to Hagi, so time was of the essence, and we quickly agreed a fee for the man’s services. Kebin-san and I conversed little aside from making plans for training, but for the most part we’d found ourselves a man of substance, I felt.

“Aniki!”

I turned to the sight of an approaching Shinsuke. Sweat was flowing freely from his brows, and glistened under the midday sun. He’d evidently run a long way, and I motioned for him to catch his breath before speaking.

“Aniki, our messengers in Edo have sent word. The shogun gathers his men as we speak, and number between fifteen and twenty thousand, maybe more depending on contributions from the northern domains. The chatter among the townsfolk is of an expedition after the winter. Our accord with Choshu-han seems to have remained secret, according to the latest word in the Edo circles.”

I nodded silently. Our alliance with Choshu-han, had it become public knowledge, would not only force the shogun to increase his recruitment, but would surely direct his ire at Satsuma domain too. In time that would come, but we were still ill-prepared for that eventuality. We numbered just several hundred, and while Choshu-han was well populated, it was even less endowed with samurai than ourselves. My thoughts were interrupted by my brother, who had retrieved a scroll of yellowing paper from his satchel.

“It’s a telegram, for you,” my brother managed, his breath still short from exertion.

Unfurling the telegram, I read through the text with the utmost care, for it was sent at Takamori-sama’s behest from Tosa domain. The last I heard from him, the news was that an audience had been arranged with Ryoma Sakamoto – a rising figure in the politics on Shikoku, and as fate would have it, a previous resident of Kagoshima. Not unlike ourselves, the Yamauchi household had become acutely aware of the shogun’s newfound assertiveness towards the tozama domains. Sakamoto would be the key to establishing a formal agreement with the islanders, Takamori-sama had said before our parting.

“An audience with the Yamauchi eludes me, but discussions between Sakamoto and I have had fruitful. Tosa’s strength at sea will be an asset to us, and Satsuma an I will fund a venture in Nagasaki to procure western ships and train our men. Sakamoto will also facilitate closer ties with these men here. I hear you make good progress training the men – war will come soon, so make sure they are ready.”

Returning the scroll to Shinsuke I returned my attention to the field before us. As yet more waves of gunfire rang out across the open expanse, I let my mind wander to what lay ahead. The shogun’s lackeys would surely respond to his call, and we would be outnumbered several fold. But our valour would be superior, I told myself. Guraba-san’s guns would help too – another shipment was due this month. With Takamori-sama in command anything was possible, I told myself.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; August 23, 2014 at 10:49 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast