Thread: All cities are wooden walled in siege battles.

Otterbear's Avatar Tiro

Default All cities are wooden walled in siege battles.

I must have made some minor adjustment or some such, cuz all cities are wooden walled in siege battles(in campaign mode), no matter the size of the walls that are supposed to be there.
    I'm sure this is something that I have cause, but I'm not sure where to start looking.
    If anybody might have an idea as to which file may effect this I would greatly appreciate your help.
    I have downloaded the latest version of TATW, and installed Germanicus's Really Bad AI update. v.5.7.
    TIA,

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

Default Re: All cities are wooden walled in siege battles.

export_descr_buildings located in your tatw data folder.

take a look there, until someone of more experience can identify the exact problem you have

Otterbear's Avatar Tiro

Thanks Ultra123,
    I was afraid of that. Although, I haven't made any changes to EDB regarding buildings.
    I'm thinking it must be something along the lines of descrip_strat, or campaign_script or something?
    I usually only make changes to recruitment values in EDB, and unit strengths in EDU.
    I did make a few changes to descript_strat, and Campaign_script just to try and eliminate assassins from the game, and may have made some changes to help with capital distance problems.
    I will keep looking. There must be a file that effects the LOOK of the walls, because the game runs normally and you can build larger walled cities, And they look like they should on the map, but they all have wooden walls in battles in the campaign game.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

If the problem is with the settlements loaded in the battlemap:

If you're using my sub-mod, many settlments cannoot have walls beyond wooden ones, like the rohan settlements.

If not, check with the modders from the sub-mod you're using if they did such type of change.

export_descr_buildings is the file where you can prevent certian faction from upgrade settlements.

Other than this is about managing the .pkg files inside the settlements's folders, wich I dont belive you did. This is for making settlements look the same even if upgraded.

There is also the possibility of having made any change in desc_strat.txt file placing all settlement levels to wooden castle or large town... something I also belive you did not.

I cant see any other cause, check them.

Now, if the problem is really this:

Quote Originally Posted by Otterbear View Post
    And they look like they should on the map, but they all have wooden walls in battles in the campaign game.
    then descr_cultures.txt is the file to mss with, it sets the 3d models for strat map settlements.
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; December 23, 2013 at 09:26 AM.

Otterbear's Avatar Tiro

Thank you so much for your help, Leo.civil.uefs,

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    If the problem is with the settlements loaded in the battlemap:

If you're using my sub-mod, many settlments cannoot have walls beyond wooden ones, like the rohan settlements.
    I am soooo tempted to add your sub-mod, but it looks like your using an old version of Germanicus's Really Bad AI ver 5.6 (I believe.) and it had some bugs that caused crashes( mainly a crash during re-enforcement in battles, caused by some bad code), he has updated to ver. 5.7 (I believe these numbers are correct.)

If not, check with the modders from the sub-mod you're using if they did such type of change.
    The only thing I've done as far as submodding, is to update to Germanicus's 5.7 version of Really Bad Ai.

export_descr_buildings is the file where you can prevent certian faction from upgrade settlements.
    Thank you!
    Is this also where certain settlements can be crippled? (IE:Some cities have "limited capability" as far as building and growth are concerned.) I would LIKE to turn that off.

Other than this is about managing the .pkg files inside the settlements's folders, wich I dont belive you did. This is for making settlements look the same even if upgraded.
    Your are correct.

There is also the possibility of having made any change in desc_strat.txt file placing all settlement levels to wooden castle or large town... something I also belive you did not.
    Now that I think about it...sheesh! I did try and eliminate Harrad as a faction a while back, and was fooling around with removing settlements. I abandoned that aproach, and they have been working right in all subsequent games, so I hope, that is not my problem. (I did use backups, and I have about 5 original copies of TATW. (renamed of course).)

EDIT: Just checked and my descr_strat file is identical to the original with the exception of a change in game turn length, and remmed out rebellions, and all references to the black spiders. (crashed every time I saw those bastages!)

I cant see any other cause, check them.

Now, if the problem is really this:

then descr_cultures.txt is the file to mss with, it sets the 3d models for strat map settlements.
    I also messed around a little in descr_cultures.txt for some reason. I think I was attempting to remove some bad traits or ancillary's or some such. I will have a look at both of the aforementioned files and see if I can find where I screwed the pooch.

EDIT: desc_cultures is not my problem, using original that came with the latest version of TATW.
    Last edited by Otterbear; December 23, 2013 at 12:54 PM.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Im not right about how to make certain settlements beeing crippled.

Besides, I recently had some sound problems while moding and after trying everything I did not find any solution, so I have just deleted the out of my hd (mods, medieval 2... everything) and then reinstalled everything again. And then it became normal with sounds.

Its just that sometimes you mess so much with modding that the engine becomes crazy.

And I dont belive really bad AI has anything to do with this.
    Actually, you can install RBAI over my sub-mod there is no problem.

Otterbear's Avatar Tiro

Besides, I recently had some sound problems while moding and after trying everything I did not find any solution, so I have just deleted the out of my hd (mods, medieval 2... everything) and then reinstalled everything again. And then it became normal with sounds.
    It looks like I may have to do something of that nature myself. (I've caught myself making changes to files only to realize that I was in the main MTW2 folders...I wonder if I may have not "Caught" myself every time.)

And I dont belive really bad AI has anything to do with this.
    Actually, you can install RBAI over my sub-mod there is no problem.
    That is good to know. I will definitely be adding your sub-mod.

You can limit the size of the walls by using hidden_resources.

huge_stone_wall city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, slave, } and hidden_resource capital

Then you go to descr_regions and add the hidden_resource "capital" to the regions where you want the city to become Huge. You can use this method to set the maximum level of every settlement.