Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SYMPOSIVM: Grown up members - grown up rules

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: SYMPOSIVM: Grown up members - grown up rules

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil
    Further on this subject, musing about it to Manji, I made the following observation: Back in the day, the imposing intellectual prowess of many of the symposium dwellers was more effective than any moderator presence could be in keeping discipline. The place didn't need any moderators, because people were petrified of disgracing themselves by saying something stupid in front of their peers!

Can such an atmosphere ever be recreated? Probably not.
    Indeed.

I remember smack saying that I had the dubious honour of being the first person ever to be flamed in the Symposium.
    Last edited by Søren; October 20, 2006 at 04:15 PM.

I'll try to be brief;
    as we all know, this is a internet board aka forum. Anyone can post here, from that 11 year old Alaskan who just posts to get new cheats for M2TW to a south african discussing politics in the Pit or even a mongolian child molester looking for possible prey; without any supervision this would soon become yet another flame/troll forum and sooner than later we, the community, would have problems.

To which extent do we need "supervision" (aka moderation)? It's not a matter of having our freedom of mind cut out by a bunch of Big Brother wannabees, it's a matter of having things running smoothly so ALL of us can enjoy the forum.

To refer to the topic's name, not all of us are grown ups and even grow ups (like myself) are sometimes prone to nasty posts, of all manners and types. Let there be moderation, I completely agree with all measures taken to prevent spam and sordid posts. If anything, this is "teh internets", you can always find another forum or make one more suited to your needs. I would.

Cheerio
    浪人 - 二天一

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

The maturity of Manji in this matter is a shining beacon and example to us all.

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Søren
    Indeed.

I remember smack saying that I had the dubious honour of being the first person ever flamed in the Symposium.
    Ouch.

(!!!)

I meant the dubious honour of being the first person ever to be flamed, not to flame someone.

Pra's Avatar Sir Lucious Left Foot

But I would walk 500 miles
    And I would walk 500 more
    Just to be the man who walked 1000 miles
    To fall down at your door
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12