View Poll Results: Do you want to add these missing elements?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want to get missing elements (correctly centurion's crest, more Gallic helmets)

132 94.96%
  • I don't care, Vanilla looks good

7 5.04%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Found units elements that aren't in the game - CORRECTLY CREST OF CENTURION!, more Gallic helmets and others

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Default Re: Important thing - renders of units. Some of them aren't in the game. Found the missing CREST OF CENTURION!

These aren't the only things they forgot. Nice work KLA, very interesting.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Important thing - renders of units. Some of them aren't in the game. Found the missing CREST OF CENTURION!

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    So they fired him instead of someonelse ?
    I think he is a freelancer, employed by CA only for TW:R2.

About the crest, as zeroFreeze has written above, the problem is they are not in the right position (front-back instead of left-right) :

It's true for the three crests (roman_cent_crest_a, roman_cent_crest_b and roman_cent_crest_c).
    They would need to be rotate to 90°.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Depressing. Makes me wonder what else they cut. If I had seen all that work before release I would have been even more hyped than I already was. Makes me just think that at one point we may have actually been in for something special that was ruined by atrocious management.

TheCenturion24's Avatar Semisalis

But seriously. I came across this guys work some time ago... I only glanced at it, thought it looked similar to Rome II and moved on. I never thought they actually WERE Rome II. For crying out loud, CA. YOU HAD THE DAMN RESOURCES. Yet you... you... IGNORE THEM? But... but...

*rests head in hands*

I can't go on like this... his textures are so much better...

Patrician Artifex

Textures have been certainly resized, quite likely to avoid some performance issues.

For example, the italian_square_muscled_cuirass_c_diffuse.dds size is 1024x512 pixel and its weight is 171ko.
    The lion pelts texture file size is a 512x512 pixel and weights 171ko

Texture files weights are rarely above 600ko.
    I'm asking myself is texture weight was more important for CA than the level of details, even if I understand they have to consider their famous "memory budget".

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

I have no understanding of programming, but i can only guess they cut it for performance reasons?

Its just something that I've experienced with ( betas ) of other games, in the past. Where they took out item / itemskins since it helped the performance if the game had to load/render a smaller amount of different assets.

No idea why else.

Quote Originally Posted by GussieFinkNottle View Post
    so any way modders could recover higher-res textures for in-game use?
    It would probably make units look more like those early promotional screenshots that turned out to be misleading
    Actually yes it is possible, by the use of the normal maps , and higher resolution textures and some work it can be done , but never as the original , it woudl be an evolution from the low res to a new high res.
    Also the level of quality detail won't be possible to be recovered , but still well approximated.
    Going even more far the model itself coudl be used as base to "rebuilt" a new high detail version to create from this a new bake etc etc .. anyway All wasted time for that game and only to make one single item woudl require a lot of work ... but what woudl be the use of only one item compared to the rest of the stuff?

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    I think he is a freelancer, employed by CA only for TW:R2.

About the crest, as zeroFreeze has written above, the problem is they are not in the right position (front-back instead of left-right) :

It's true for the three crests (roman_cent_crest_a, roman_cent_crest_b and roman_cent_crest_c).
    He worked also on Stw2 .

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Orkfaeller View Post
    I have no understanding of programming, but i can only guess they cut it for performance reasons?

Its just something that I've experienced with ( betas ) of other games, in the past. Where they took out item / itemskins since it helped the performance if the game had to load/render a smaller amount of different assets.

No idea why else.
    Yes, I understand it, but why they don't use some elements as Gallic helmets, centurion's crest? It is the same graphic as other. I tested those Gallic helmets and works good. it is weird CA's deciosions.

The centurion crests are in the game but have been programmed the wrong way - forward to back instead of transverse.
    It is simple to change. I completelty dissapointed that CA didn't change it in latest patch. It is a simple thing to make.
    Last edited by KLAssurbanipal; December 22, 2013 at 08:52 AM.

Nice find. This stuff looks great.

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Is there any way to get the armour off that gallic warrior? its exactly what we are missing for the bronze age mod

also, i still(god forbid) have faith in CA, albeit not Sega, and i'm betting you they had these taken out for a reason,
    i just wonder if there is any way to bring the in-game textures up to the level that they are being shown here.
    Last edited by Dontfearme22; December 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM.

I didn'r see it in the game files. Yeah. It would be good for your mod.

i think that CA did the chrest in the wrong direction with purpose of not giving the idea that would be a real Centuria. Firstly because , unless you play with small numbers, it does not have numbers of a Centuria, but 120/160 men. Which would be a maniple and need 2 centurions. SO they decided to make a unhistorical "centurion" for an unhistorical "centuria". This is only possible explanation. Second possibility: they wanted to make a bad taste joke.

Quote Originally Posted by King Louise Assurbanipal View Post
    I didn'r see it in the game files. Yeah. It would be good for your mod.
    crap, well we'll just re-texture something, thanks for looking

Default Re: Found units elements that aren't in the game - CORRECTLY CREST OF CENTURION!, more Gallic helmets and others

Maybe it is in other .pack. I hope.

I added a poll.

Default Re: Found units elements that aren't in the game - CORRECTLY CREST OF CENTURION!, more Gallic helmets and others

From what I can see the artist is really good and did a great job even from the historical side.
    At this point I think it's not his fault if something went wrong but who take decision to cut many of his models like the iberian swords and all the good details like scabbards and daggers.
    About the textures just got downgraded (they were something like 4096) to a level that many of them are nearly "broken" and lost any detail and i don't think an artist could do this to his own work.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Dontfearme22 View Post
    Is there any way to get the armour off that gallic warrior? its exactly what we are missing for the bronze age mod.
    Model could be celtic_leather_cuirass.rigid_model_v2 or one of its variants, but I didn't find the textures needed.
    Do you think you would be able to create your own texture, based on existing ones or on the UVmap ?

It is possible to modify textures, opening model with hexadecimal editor.

omzdog's Avatar Campidoctor

Every game has this kind of thing.
    Extra models and textures because that's the most prolific aspect of development.

We should be on the look out for unused AI scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    Model could be celtic_leather_cuirass.rigid_model_v2 or one of its variants, but I didn't find the textures needed.
    Do you think you would be able to create your own texture, based on existing ones or on the UVmap ?

It is possible to modify textures, opening model with hexadecimal editor.
    i am only familiar with shield re-textures, so i wouldnt be able to,
    unless someone wants to do it for the mod

omzdog's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dontfearme22 View Post
    i am only familiar with shield re-textures, so i wouldnt be able to,
    unless someone wants to do it for the mod
    I'd be happy to offer UV mapping services if that's what you require.
    Just send me rar's of the obj.

Ahh you're looking for a full retexture.
    The dds should be somewhere,
    but if you want to retexture it I have time.

Honestly I'm too bored.
    Last edited by omzdog; December 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast