Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paintable Map for EB2

CanOmer's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Paintable World Map of EB2 Alpha

I don't understand why Eremos territories in British islands are not part of the nearest provinces.
    My Submods For Europa Barbarorum II Clean Campaign Mini Map for EB 2.3 ;

West_Side's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    We such little information and archaeological evidence for a large part of Ireland (not that the information is abundant for the other part), combined with the dispersed and decentralized living culture of the both areas, made us decide to turn these area into Eremos territory. Something we also decided for the inland regions of Sardinia and Corsica for one.

Anyway, Brennus can tell you more about the historical arguments and situation on this matter.
    When you see the Callanish stones(Thought to have been built around 2600BC) and the various Brochs(The most famous of which, Dún Chárlabhagh is thought to have been built around 100BC) around the Isle of Lewis, where I hail from, it doesn't seem to me that a dispersed and decentralised culture could have created these structures which still (mostly) stand today.

I know wikipedia can be suspect, but I don't have access to the proper academic resources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dun_Carloway
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callanish_Stones
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis#History
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stornoway#History

Archeaology of Ireland relevant to our period is remarkably silent though. Especiall in the south. Either way this is an argument you have to make with Brennus. If you have historical remarks on Arabia however, let me know.

Fair enough.

And I'm afraid not, my knowledge of ancient Arabia comes almost entirely from EB1.

Quote Originally Posted by West_Side View Post
    And I'm afraid not, my knowledge of ancient Arabia comes almost entirely from EB1.
    If you played EB1, you agreed to read more about history. It's in our user agreement. Actually that's all our user agreement says.
    So let me recommend you the following as a starter:
    The Nabataeans : their history, culture and archaeology, P.C., HAMMOND, Göteborg, 1973.
    The world of the Herods and the Nabataeans, N., KOKKINOS, Stuttgart, 2007.
    Roman Arabia, G. W., BOWERSOCK, Cambridge (Mass.), 1983
    Geschichte der alt-südarabischen Reiche, K., SCHIPPMANN, Darmstadt, 1998.
    L'arabe heureuse au temps de la reine de Saba' VIIIe - Ier Siècle avant J-C, J.F., Breton, Paris, 1998.
    Archaeology of the United Arab Emirates: Proceedings of the First International Conference on the Archaeology of the UAE, H., Al Naboodah, P., Hellyer and D., Potts (ed.), 2003.

what about denmark and holland?

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

What about them?
    all hail the flying spaghetti monster!

Quote Originally Posted by fryslan View Post
    what about denmark and holland?
    You'll have to formulate a more specific question if you want a better reply. Modern day Denmark and the Netherlands are filled up by normal provinces with settlements.

No promises on them!

And to be fair I do read quite a lot about history, though nothing on the ancient peoples of Arabia. Until now obviously...

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    You'll have to formulate a more specific question if you want a better reply. Modern day Denmark and the Netherlands are filled up by normal provinces with settlements.
    I think he may be referring to what I also commented on earlier: It looks as though jutland, fun, and frisia are all part of the same province. At least I can see no province capital in frisia. It looks a bit odd.

around the Isle of Lewis, where I hail from
    A bheil Gaidhlig agaibh?

Personally I think it's a strange but interesting choice reflecting the difficulty/impossibility of an empire being able to really conquer the fiercely resistant (in the case of the Highlands and Ireland, the terrain and people ha) and/or inhospitable parts of the map (northern Russia and the Sahara).

"Eremos" apparently means silent, uninhabited, wilderness, desolation, desert (correct me if I'm wrong).
    These definitions definitely don't fit these areas in Britain though.

Overall I really like the map.

Tha gu leoir agam!

Sibh fhéin?

Co as a tha thu?

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

Maybe they should call it impossible, or unconquered, or nonexistent
    all hail the flying spaghetti monster!

Sad Ireland isn't two regions or at least a whole one. My favorite thing to do in EB1 was to be one of the Gaulish tribes and make a migration to Ireland with my whole people, abandoning my continental holdings to start over. I love becoming High King. Its a fun scenario and quite difficult financially. Hard to become High King now when I cant even rule the whole kingdom. Will probably still do this in EBII, just a little sad. Oh well, there is no disappointment after Rome II.

Gle mhath!

Tha, beagan ach chan eil gu leòr Tha mi ionnsachadh tuilleadh Gaidhlig a-nis, tha mi fuireach anns Siorrachd Àir ach tha mi anns An Comunn Gàidhlig aig oilthigh a chionn 's smaoinich mi gu tha ar cànan cudromach.

Not sure I worded that last bit right...

Sad Ireland isn't two regions or at least a whole one. My favorite thing to do in EB1 was to be one of the Gaulish tribes and make a migration to Ireland with my whole people, abandoning my continental holdings to start over. I love becoming High King. Its a fun scenario and quite difficult financially. Hard to become High King now when I cant even rule the whole kingdom. Will probably still do this in EBII, just a little sad. Oh well, there is no disappointment after Rome II.
    You should try the mod "Conquestus Britanniae", it's very like EB, really well researched and detailed - and fun!, set around the British Isles and northwest Europe around the 400's AD, it rivals EB as one of my favourites really.
    Last edited by Gaelstrix; January 09, 2014 at 05:02 PM.

I think I will. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Appius Pulcher View Post
    I think he may be referring to what I also commented on earlier: It looks as though jutland, fun, and frisia are all part of the same province. At least I can see no province capital in frisia. It looks a bit odd.
    Yes this is true.

This thread - fap fap fap fap fap
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Disregard RTW2 - acquire Europa Barbarorum 2.

Hey, CA - "Get Woke Go Broke" !

Proud owner of white skin and a penis - bite me.

There really isn't much use for the regions in EB2's time frame is the thing though.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

There isn't much use during the time frame, but there is some. I understand the historical context of EBII and the fact that some of these areas were under-utilized. From there we should be able to slowly manipulate and settle as we see fit. If I want my tribe to settle Hibernia I should be able to use all the land if I play my cards right. Is there a difference from that scenario and being about to sack Rome as Macedon if i play my cards right? In fact the scenario of a united ancient ireland may be more historical than a Macedonian sacking of Rome. It is supported by lore, and we know so little of that area in this time, its plausible. One of the main reasons I've always loved EB is that it is a kickass strategy game which gives me detailed historical people to use in both historical and nonhistorical ways. I can fight the Punic Wars over, and I can win as Carthage, which unlocks a new history within my game. It is the people that populate the world that are historic, not what I can do with them. Cant wait.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast