Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Historical Medieval game, with no fantasy! Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Default Re: Historical Medieval game, with no fantasy! Kingdom Come: Deliverance

It begs the question with the vast amount of billionaires in the world, why don't they give up a miniscule fraction of their wealth to fund the best possible quality games, that have 10+ year development cycles, high quality motion capture and all the other good stuff.

Games like Festung Europa and Traction Wars that don't get any funding at all imagine some billionaire who happens to enjoy shooters, could just give them a million or two which is like throwing a handful of pennies to the homeless for these individuals.

Default Re: Historical Medieval game, with no fantasy! Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Some of the preview pictures really look awesome. Though I'd wish the time period was rather 100 years earlier or 50-100 years later (I just don't like the typical helmet of this era, the so called "Hundsgugel").
    Last edited by Pinarius; January 25, 2014 at 09:36 AM.

CheesyFreak's Avatar Senator

I dont know if the Kickstarter trailer has been posted yet, but here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D48PCFshHg this one sucks you entirely in in my opinion.

the game looks really slick, and if they deliver everything thats promised it could be a game for the history books(no pun), the combat from what i can see looks similar to Chivalry medieval Warfare but improved, if that is true it would be one of the best combat systems around for a FPS melee game.

also i hope that you can change the economy in-game, like killing a merchant or taking over a region/castle that it hurts/changes the economy in your favor.

P.S where would this game take place? i see Holy Roman empire flags everywhere but i migth be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyFreak View Post
    I dont know if the Kickstarter trailer has been posted yet, but here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D48PCFshHg this one sucks you entirely in in my opinion.

the game looks really slick, and if they deliver everything thats promised it could be a game for the history books(no pun), the combat from what i can see looks similar to Chivalry medieval Warfare but improved, if that is true it would be one of the best combat systems around for a FPS melee game.

also i hope that you can change the economy in-game, like killing a merchant or taking over a region/castle that it hurts/changes the economy in your favor.

P.S where would this game take place? i see Holy Roman empire flags everywhere but i migth be mistaken.
    Bohemia, so basicly the Czech part of the holy roman empire.

CheesyFreak's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfreak View Post
    Bohemia, so basicly the Czech part of the holy roman empire.
    many thanks.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Robin_Hood View Post
    It begs the question with the vast amount of billionaires in the world, why don't they give up a miniscule fraction of their wealth to fund the best possible quality games, that have 10+ year development cycles, high quality motion capture and all the other good stuff.

Games like Festung Europa and Traction Wars that don't get any funding at all imagine some billionaire who happens to enjoy shooters, could just give them a million or two which is like throwing a handful of pennies to the homeless for these individuals.
    Because most billionaires are old dudes who don't like video games.

I'd love if they had a campaign for many million dollars so they could create a huge Multiplayer map, with maybe 20 cities and 30 castles, in which (such as a MMO), you create a character who is forever in the game, and we could create different factions, be bandits, or knights, or crusaders, and one person would be the king of a city, and others nobles and barons etc... Would be very interesting

One thing I really badly hope they manage to pull off is the quick and violent nature of medieval combat. All the games so far make swordplay too clumsy and drawn-out when in reality, back in medieval time it was usually one or two swings/blows and the fight was over in less than 2 seconds flat.

Crucially though, those one or two swings/blows were extremely powerful and violent and this is where games fail to portray reality.

I hope they don't this one up and go along with how all the other RPG's like Skyrim and M&B handle hand to hand combat.

These games also never portray the reality of a weapon impact on a human body and consequently these games feel like your just swinging at empty air...pathetic. Also the way your opponents falls is always in semi slow-motion ragdoll and is utterly pathetic and does not portray reality in any shape or form. I want my opponent to slump to the ground at the speed he would in reality. Why do developers never get this kind of stuff right?

Also cavalry momentum and power needs to be done properly... something I bet they won't get right. Mount & Blade did a decent job of it but it can always be improved upon. Sometimes I wonder why games developers never go the full way when portraying reality in their games. It's frustrating.
    Last edited by Robin_Hood; January 26, 2014 at 05:16 PM.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Full on realism wouldn't be fun though.
    Where's the fun the fun in reloading fights constantly just to get a fight sequence entirely perfect, because two blows will kill you and the enemy is smart enough to attack me with 5 guys at once. (at least in the current paradigm where every game involves dozens upon dozens of fights to the death)

Also in reality fights did not end that fast, this is the age of plate armour, nobles/professional soldiers in plate could withstand a of punishment, especially when the enemy doesn't have a specialized anti-armour weapon.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post
    Full on realism wouldn't be fun though.
    Where's the fun the fun in reloading fights constantly just to get a fight sequence entirely perfect, because two blows will kill you and the enemy is smart enough to attack me with 5 guys at once. (at least in the current paradigm where every game involves dozens upon dozens of fights to the death)

Also in reality fights did not end that fast, this is the age of plate armour, nobles/professional soldiers in plate could withstand a of punishment, especially when the enemy doesn't have a specialized anti-armour weapon.

Well as long as they portray the violent force of hand to hand combat in all it's glory I'll be a happy man. Ever seen Iron Clad? Now that is what fighting for your life looks like; forget careful and aimed swings and slashes with the pathetic force of a childs arm like every game to date has portrayed it's hand to hand combat. I truly hope they get it right on this one.

spartan_warrior's Avatar Combating the ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by Robin_Hood View Post
    Well as long as they portray the violent force of hand to hand combat in all it's glory I'll be a happy man. Ever seen Iron Clad? Now that is what fighting for your life looks like; forget careful and aimed swings and slashes with the pathetic force of a childs arm like every game to date has portrayed it's hand to hand combat. I truly hope they get it right on this one.
    Well if they intend to accurately portray sword fighting in the game for this period it won't all be about power and slashing. Fights against armoured opponents should last for a little while, and should focus on opportunistic thrusts to exposed areas within the armour. If they truly wish to strive for accuracy, we'll see lots of half-swording techniques in the game, which would be very cool.

zackstefy's Avatar Libertus

Akhenaton's Avatar Decanus

New Update! This time itīs about Character Custimazation:

I really dig the multiplayer layers of armour one has to wear to protect himself from all sorts of weapons

If the video doesnīt work, hereīs the direct link https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...iverance/posts
    Last edited by Akhenaton; February 03, 2014 at 10:32 AM.

I have made a small donation as well , the only thing I hope is that they will feature also an optional 3rd person view .
    Full 3d first person games give me motion sickness after a while and like me many other have that problem as well .
    Far cry game was totally unplayable for me , at the pont that I had to bring it back to the shop and prevented me to buy further chapters .
    Weirdly I do not have problems with games like Halo . Perhaps is just the fact that those game that focus too much on the first person , mimicizing realistically every movement , create too much camera shifts that give that sense of sickness.

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Akhenaton's Avatar Decanus

Warhorse Studios just posted their third video-update. This time itīs about horses.

I wasnīt as impressed as last time, but it is interesting to note that horses will have a will of their own (i.e if you gallop to the edge of a cliff the horse wonīt jump over the edge even if commanded), it could be useful in combat.

Here is the direct link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...iverance/posts

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    I have made a small donation as well , the only thing I hope is that they will feature also an optional 3rd person view .
    Full 3d first person games give me motion sickness after a while and like me many other have that problem as well .
    Far cry game was totally unplayable for me , at the pont that I had to bring it back to the shop and prevented me to buy further chapters .
    Weirdly I do not have problems with games like Halo . Perhaps is just the fact that those game that focus too much on the first person , mimicizing realistically every movement , create too much camera shifts that give that sense of sickness.
    You might was to try playing with the FoV higher. I know some people get sick when first person games have a low FoV.

If you rep me leave your name and I'll rep you back!

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Finally! I love medieval-themed games, though I really hate fantasy. It seems like a potentially great game, looks like it has some trouble in development cycle.

How is development going on? They shifted to Kickstarter it seems, are they still making it or is it scrapped?
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    Finally! I love medieval-themed games, though I really hate fantasy. It seems like a potentially great game, looks like it has some trouble in development cycle.

How is development going on? They shifted to Kickstarter it seems, are they still making it or is it scrapped?
    Their kickstarter has reached and doubled their goal of 300 000 pounds, with more than 10 days to go so it seems like it's going to happen.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

I can't believe how awesome this looks, if later down the line after release, they open it to modders, it'll be amazing, I hope to see vast sprawling cities in England etc

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Aye, I agree.
    Last edited by General Maximus; February 10, 2014 at 02:27 PM.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक