Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elite Dangerous

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Default Elite Dangerous

A long time ago, David Braben and Ian Bell wrote a game called Elite. The first time I ever saw and played it was on a ZX Spectrum 48 k. Whoever played the original Elite should have fond memories of the game.
    ------
    I've been playing the alpha - combat test build, 8 scenarios.
    It´s absolutely amazing
    Here are some videos. Enjoy
    Twitch
    ------------
    Official forums, Elite: Dangerous - Become Legend
    Last edited by Ludicus; December 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Default Re: Elite Dangerous

Been following this avidly. More looking forward to this than Star Citizen but of course I'll get both. Can't help but feel Chris Roberts has the advantage of having lived years in the States and knows how to market big whereas David Braben still has the rather subdued Oxbridge English modesty about him.

If there isn't an NDA on the Alpha some early impressions would be great!
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Ah, you have the Alpha combat version! I would also love to hear your impressions (NDAs permitting, of course).

Personally, having been stupid enough to buy X: Rebirth on release, I'm pinning all my space-hopes on Elite. I don't like some of the vibe I'm getting from Star Citizen (though I'm open, and even hopeful, that the actual game will be good).

David Braben behind this? If so it will probably be out in like 30 years.

I was tracking Elite 4 for around 10 years and then just gave up on a release. Also his games are usually extremely buggy, but the last time he made an elite game was the 90s when that was a worse problem than it is now.

I would like a bug free game with the physics and universe of First Encounters. That game was FAR better than elite and i'm hoping he follows that model.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    David Braben behind this? If so it will probably be out in like 30 years.
    March, apparently. I assume March 2014 but he could have meant March 3200 with a limited release outside of Sirocco Station.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

200 quid for alpha access lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas The Lion View Post
    200 quid for alpha access lol.
    alphas don't really matter anyways unless you are involved in development.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Been following this avidly. If there isn't an NDA on the Alpha some early impressions would be great!
    Certainly, my friend.

I am seriously impressed. ED is a polished Alpha release. In other words, it is more like a retail release than an alpha
    Looks good. No crashes, no bugs, looks gorgeous, the 3D cockpit, and amazing sound. Indeed, visually stunning, the shadows and lighting effects across the cockpit are breathtaking, the way the gatling guns spin! I like the graphics, the cockipt, the game is running smoothly with everything maxed out. No glitches, all on max and at 2560x1440. Missions are fun, the last three missions are hard.
    In the alpha, an "easy" flight mode is on by default; but you can turn off flight assist, then you have the option to use a pseudo-Newtonian flight model (there is a speed limit)

The Alpha got update,

Alpha 1.1 includes the following:

• A selection of stereoscopic 3D support options added

o Oculus Rift

o Side-by-side 3D rendering for use with 3D TVs / monitors

o Anaglyph rendering: old school Red/Cyan rendering for those without Oculus Rift or a 3D TV but with some vintage red/cyan glasses

• Track IR Support added

• Dashboard brightness option added

------

Can't help but feel Chris Roberts has the advantage
    ...And money, Star Citizen reached 35 million in funding. Anyway - excerpts from the Star Citizen forums,

Yes, I don't think that ED's alpha combat test module was ever a reason for the CIG devs to delay the release of the DFM, but on the other hand I bet when they saw it there were some some raised eyebrows in the room....The addition of TrackIR and Oculus support for the ED alpha combat module has lifted it to another level again
    Giant Elite Dangerous Katamari Damshii - RSI Community Forums

Elite Dangerous Alpha Scared Chris Roberts, Slightly?

i have to admit Im impressed with the feeling and immersion on the Elite Dangerous Alpha elite does look awesome in its current state.

Video, Oculus Rift support,
    Last edited by Ludicus; December 30, 2013 at 03:20 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Docking Alpha out-

Latest episode of When Starports attack-

So is this gonna have AI controlled spaceships and crafts and such? How much content / gameplay is there gonna be for solo players?

Alpha is over Beta soon it's looking very promising.

This game will be beautiful.. it already is.

@Markas - do you know if I can enjoy the premium Beta / alpha 4 solo, ie choosing not to bump into other human players, entirely?

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...&id=721f168fd0

Out 16th December, a little quicker than most were expecting. The Beta process seems to be progressing quite well though.

I am concerned if AI wingmen and crew will make it into the game. Those are kind of big deal for me.

Thinking of Preordering. What's the downlow on this game? I know the basics just wondering if it's worth a buy yet, been hearing rumblings of butthurt about it.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    Thinking of Preordering. What's the downlow on this game? I know the basics just wondering if it's worth a buy yet, been hearing rumblings of butthurt about it.
    I would say no. The flight and combat mechanics are the best in the genre, but that alone does not make a worthwhile space adventure sim.

Its launching at least 6 months too early. Major features are missing. NPCs are non-existent. Its a dead world, with recycled stations and missions.

And progression is excruciatingly slow. It will take you a 1000 hours to earn enough money to try out all the ships (and there are very few of them) in the game. They have optimized the economy for jobless psychopaths who are happy to grind for thousands of hours.

1.0 version is out now, so I guess the game's officially released.

http://ask.fm/Bigglelito <------- Ask me somethin' dagnabbit!

I've been waiting for this game since 1984. Pretty much literally.

I've been playing all week, and its very nice as a single player game, but the coop side needs a lot of work. Supposedly thats going to be part of the next major patch (its very hard to play with your friends at a task, and no tasks really need multiple people).

I just ordered an Oculus DK2, because I'm a 3d fan and Nvidia 3d vision is basically a dead tech (Nvidias support for it went from bad to non-existent).

It feels SO damn good to be using a joystick in a game again. I have it set up with voice commands and I don't even have to touch my keyboard while playing.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

I know I'll get some flak for this, but after watching some videos, it looks like a sandbox with nothing meaningful to do, just grdinding in a lifeless universe. I'd rather have a more "condensed, lively" universe than a more realistic, giant, infinite space of nothing. Looks way too barren to appeal to me. Also, is there atleast a meaningful background story to give the universe some life?

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post
    I know I'll get some flak for this, but after watching some videos, it looks like a sandbox with nothing meaningful to do, just grdinding in a lifeless universe. I'd rather have a more "condensed, lively" universe than a more realistic, giant, infinite space of nothing. Looks way too barren to appeal to me. Also, is there atleast a meaningful background story to give the universe some life?
    My biggest gripe with this game is the supercruise mechanism. Frankly its boring beyond belief when you can't switch away because you have to concentrate the entire time you're travelling, even if this can take up 70-80% of your experience. Other parts of the game are great, the combat, the graphics, the immersion of it, but supercruise spoils everything for me. Such a shame.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast