Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elite Dangerous

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Default Re: Elite Dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    In long term gameplaying you are literally forced to pay attention to the game at all times. For example in like X3 or Eve if you are traveling a far, boring, distance you can take your eyes off the screen and rest while traveling. On this game there is no autopilot, no REAL autopilot, and jumping is dangerous.
    Thank you Frontier.Players and NPCs can use interdiction... buy a docking computer, you can rest while docking.The name of the game is Elite Dangerous.

-----------------
    Forbes Magazine
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasoneva...ooler-pc-game/

Probably the highest praise I can pay Elite: Dangerous is that it’s been a genuine struggle forcing myself to stop playing long enough to write about it.

-----------------
    Many Star Citizen critics complain that Roberts has 70m $ but no game out yet,
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am a very disapointed alpha backer.I wonder what all those people dumping hundreds/ thousands of dollars into a game this early are expecting to get for their money. The flight system is boring, the combat is spectacularly boring.I rarely play the demo.
    Last edited by Ludicus; January 03, 2015 at 02:24 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

I haven't responded to this thread because when I have computer time, I've been playing elite myself

Part of the joy of it for me, is that it, right now IS basically an updated version of the original elite. That was THE game of my youth, many years ahead of its time.

Added with the oculus and a great voice command set up, I'm IN the freaking cockpit. You can't really compare elite to EvE, and I played EvE a long time, because the only real game similarity at this point is that EvE and ED are both in space and have trading/combat as ways to make money. Combat in EvE is basically only a numbers game (there is more too it but not much) while in ED its a dog fight. EvE obviously has a LOT more content, but its been around for over a decade. When it launched it was awful.

ED does need a lot more multiplayer content, right now its one of those massively multiplayer solo games, but the foundation right now is freeking awesome. I've had one crash in hours and hours that was an ED crash, and about 5 that were nvidia display driver issues. (Nvidia screwed up the new ED drivers so they don't work with the oculus, so I have to use older ones, oops). They had one bad server hiccup day and people were crying like it was the end of the world. Their release was a LOT smoother than just about any online game I've seen.

My only worry is monitzation for ED. I WISH they had a subscription fee, I have no idea how they are going to fund as things move forward.

What I don't get is how some people are so wired to "get to end game" and then complain there is nothing to do. Its rather obvious ED doesn't have an endgame yet. I've been having a blast just flying around in a viper or cobra bounty hunting. I just about have the thing completely pimped out. I could start "space trucking" and make more money, but I'm not looking for "credit per ton" apps for the shortest route to make the most money so I can buy the biggest ship and then complain there is nothing to do.

Sad part is I have to go to work right now, or I'd not even be writing this
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    when I have computer time, I've been playing elite myself
    Part of the joy of it for me, is that it, right now IS basically an updated version of the original elite. That was THE game of my youth, many years ahead of its time.
    Same here

Added with the oculus and a great voice command set up
    I need to try it...
    Last edited by Ludicus; January 05, 2015 at 09:04 AM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    I need to try it...
    I was having issues with my old voice software getting false positives when using team speak to I switched to voice attack this weekend. Great program and so far not a single false positive. Definitely worth the $8. I now of "space radio" being I put my MP3's in as sounds, so I can tell it to play song X and then if I want "music off" will turn it off. I didn't get the voice pack, as I'd rather have my own sounds at this point.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Citizen

The limitless power of imagination,
    click here.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

Well this game has become a money pit for me.

-$350 USD for Oculus Rift DK2
    - $180 for x52 pro joystick
    - $1200 for 980 GTX SLI

Luckily I don't spend money on anything else, thats my wifes job

I'm hoping they really start to add some serious content, enough that I can go blow up the space commies.

My shameful truth.

- $1200 for 980 GTX SLI
    You did not need this one for ED. (Unless it is required by the Rift DK2)

What factions are people supporting? (if any)
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Citizen

Luckily I don't spend money on anything else, thats my wifes job

What's your favorite ship, Phier?

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    What factions are people supporting? (if any)
    Alliance...
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

Alliance...
    Ah good man. I'll be heading to system youknowwhat in about youknowwhen.

Operation Bubble Bath is go.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

I've found a nice little anarchy independent system in Federation "waters", exports gold and slaves and just one jump away from places where you can sell said gold and slaves. Did a whole lot of mission in that system to the point that they now regard me as an "ally!" I've sort of made it my base of operations, from where I go out on my sporadic exploration trips. Smuggling slaves is a good way to get some extra cash as well!

Never even been to Alliance territory. How's the trade up there?

http://ask.fm/Bigglelito <------- Ask me somethin' dagnabbit!

So far the biggest reason why I'm avoiding this game is because it looks like a huge time consumption. I mean that's one of it praises. Damn this earths puny 24h!

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Ah good man. I'll be heading to system youknowwhat in about youknowwhen.

Operation Bubble Bath is go.
    Alioth Independents,78 Ursae Majoris, based at Rominger Dock.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    in Federation "waters"
    ...try the trade route Gliese 868 ( Braun station, buy gold, sell progenitor cells) -WW Piscis Austrini (Ivins station, sell gold, buy progenitor cells). Distance between the stars: +- 33Ly; that means 2 or 3 jumps.
    Not bad at all....
    Last edited by Ludicus; February 01, 2015 at 04:15 PM.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    So far the biggest reason why I'm avoiding this game is because it looks like a huge time consumption. I mean that's one of it praises. Damn this earths puny 24h!
    You are right about the time consumption part. If that time was spent doing something worthwhile, it would be okay. But you actually need to spend it doing the same few things over and over again for thousands of times. This game has become a test of patience, not a test of skill.

Elites problem I've found is they only made content up to at most the Cobra level. I'm guessing they sort of "metascore" designed it as more reviews won't get close to that.

It desperately needs more real content.

My shameful truth.

Elites problem I've found is they only made content up to at most the Cobra level. I'm guessing they sort of "metascore" designed it as more reviews won't get close to that.

It desperately needs more real content.
    Yeah i agree. I can handle any PvE combat in a viper, which is like the 4th cheapest ship in the game.
    The way i see it, i like my viper and there's really no point in upgrading it until i can make more money fighting in a different ship.

What's your favorite ship, Phier?
    I had a Python for a while and sold it pre nerf. Its a beast but it costs a LOT to operate.

I'd say my favorite ship is the Cobra, fun jack of all trades ship. I'm currently flying a Clipper though for cargo/speed.

BTW if you never flew a Python, it was insanely OP prior to nerf and definitely needed it. It was like a Viper, only huge cargo and HUGE damage.

My shameful truth.

Nevins's Avatar Semper Gumby
    Civitate

I really, really liked this game...for about 10 hours. Now that ive got a decent ship and such is there really anything to pull me back in? I read a bit on the new update they have for Coop which seems great but im just not sure how the same content with a wingman is going to be all that much more enthralling
    Client of the honorable Gertrudius!

Quote Originally Posted by Nevins View Post
    I really, really liked this game...for about 10 hours. Now that ive got a decent ship and such is there really anything to pull me back in? I read a bit on the new update they have for Coop which seems great but im just not sure how the same content with a wingman is going to be all that much more enthralling
    Thats where I'm at right now and its sad because this game shouldn't take a whole lot of effort to make great.

My shameful truth.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123