Thread: Slow moving units.

Default Slow moving units.

Hi all, I have just started playing NTW3 this week. I must say that this mod is very beautiful. The maps are excellent, giving real sense of terrain, the units are amazing and the battles are a thrilling experience. However, the units seem to move very slow from one point to another and get tired quickly. Is there a way where one can change this?
    • “A reflective, contented mind is the best possession.” ...
    • “With an open mind, seek and listen to all the highest ideals. ...
    • “Turn yourself not away from three best things: Good Thought, Good Word, and Good Deed.” ...
    • “Do not hold grain waiting for higher prices when people are hungry.”

All by Zoroaster.

Lord Davn's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Slow moving units.

Ntw3 has been modded to try and reflect the realistic conditions of the Napoleonic battlefield as much as possible. There is a considerable difference between the NTW vanilla game and our NTW3 mod. It's slower pace gives players time to make tactical decisions and maneuver their troops. Part of this is also the realistic movement and fatigue factors you're experiencing on the NTW3 battlefield. If you want a real experience throw a fifty lb. sack on your back, grab a 10 lb. item (like the Brown Bess musket) and take a jog down the road. Then stand shoulder to shoulder with your comrades and fight for your life as the guy standing 50 yards across the way tries his best to kill you. My guess is you'll also tire very quickly.

A post from another player emphasizes the point of our NTW3 mod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...al-Help/page35

"Dear Lordz, this mod is awesome ! I was told about it from some players and I bought NTW3 just in order to play it. Re-opened some old books about Napoleon's wars to add immersion and the pleasure in game is total. Coming from R2, you can't imagine how pleased I'm by the way units reacts on NTW3's battle map. Thanx !"
    Last edited by Lord Davn; December 24, 2013 at 08:25 AM.

Saddletank's Avatar Tiro

Do units tire just from marching from A to B? It seems to me that including fatigue for simply moving at normal march pace is not correct. Men (and their horses where applicable) were completely accustomed to marching, in some campaigns 1000s of miles over many months and often 10 to 15 miles a day for many days. Marching on the battlefield would be slower than when on campaign simply because there were many delays while orders were conveyed and interpreted and when units halted to dress ranks. Fatigue should become a factor when moving at more than a normal march pace (especially for cavalry) but also in combat (both ranged and melee). While your comments about carrying a 50lb pack and a 10lb musket are understood, bear in mind that the men who did this were a great deal fitter than your average modern city dweller. The first month of a campaign would weed out the weaklings, the unfit and those prone to sickness so that a 1000 man battalion that marched out of it's depot when it reached the battlefield a month later might have only 500 men left in the ranks, but those 500 would be a tougher fighting unit than the 1000 of a month prior.

One of the factors affecting the speed and stamina of an army on the march is keeping them supplied. The British had well trained, well equipped and well feed troops. The draw back was they moved much slower than most armies because they had to drag their supply train along. The French and other armies let their troops "feed off the land", often taking food & supplies from the local inhabitants as they went.
    If you play MP battles most of the experienced players will walk their units into battle (including the cav), and save their energy for the fighting that will soon ensue.
    Last edited by Lord Davn; December 27, 2013 at 01:51 PM.

Saddletank's Avatar Tiro

Thanks for that information though I was aware of it already; been a student of the Napoleonic wars for many years. It doesn't answer my question though. Do troops in NTW3 become fatigued just from normal marching? Your first post implied they do and I was trying to suggest this would be incorrect. If they do not - which your post above implies - that's good.

No, they do not* (this may not hold true in some very difficult terrain). You can march without running forever without becoming tired.

Saddletank's Avatar Tiro

Thanks for the answer, much appreciated.

In the campaigns & battles fought in Europe during the Napoleonic wars the French army did very well for the most part. Their commanders were able to adapt to their environment and move quickly, often surprising their opponents with quick marches. While the French did well in Europe, fighting in Russia during the winter was a whole different story and outcome.

We are discussing two different things here.
    Marching on campaign & maneuvering on the battlefield.

I'll restrict my to reply to the why do troops tire when moving in MP Battle.

In the NTW3 MP game fatigue represents the disorganization of the unit (generally a battalion of infantry or regiment or less for cavalry) as well as the physical tiredness of the men.
    When troops 'run' in-game they are actually double timing or quick-stepping.
    After a prolonged move some disorganization appeared. This is why formations, especially Lines had to stop & dress ranks occasionally.
    Much more often if moving at a Pas de manoeuvre.

General A. Skywalker's Avatar Primicerius
    currently Coruscant, but born on Tatooine

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Davn View Post
    If you want a real experience throw a fifty lb. sack on your back, grab a 10 lb. item (like the Brown Bess musket) and take a jog down the road.
    ...Soldiers of the Napoleonic era did not carry backpacks in battles.
    Last edited by Lord Davn; January 21, 2014 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by General A. Skywalker View Post
    ...Soldiers of the Napoleonic era did not carry backpacks in battles.
    Definitely not, but then again being in the army meant much more things than shooting enemies. Shockingly something along the lines of marching, walking, having to deal with drills, sleeping out in the open in bad weather with poor shelters for the most part, filling paper cartridges for quartermasters and whatnot.

General A. Skywalker's Avatar Primicerius
    currently Coruscant, but born on Tatooine

Quote Originally Posted by Mjarr View Post
    Definitely not, but then again being in the army meant much more things than shooting enemies. Shockingly something along the lines of marching, walking, having to deal with drills, sleeping out in the open in bad weather with poor shelters for the most part, filling paper cartridges for quartermasters and whatnot.
    ... You forgot: molesting innocent women.
    Last edited by Lord Davn; January 21, 2014 at 07:27 PM.