Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: [REL] Historically plausible development minimod (in hibernation now)

AlCord's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Historically plausible development minimod, beta compatible with dei 0.6/patch 8.1

Actually you don't need the unofficial modmanager. The ingame works like a charm. You only have to change the name of your mod, to load it above DeI. Just put an "a_" in front of the description and it works.

I have 3 recruitment slots in Rome and Magna Graecia as well

Senator

Default Re: Historically plausible development minimod, beta compatible with dei 0.6/patch 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by yukishiro1 View Post
    No, it ought to be 3 in each at the start. I wonder if it's a problem with the file I uploaded. Trying that now.

I am getting 3 in each. Not sure what the issue might be. Are you using any other mods besides historical development and dei 0.6? And I assume you're now using mod manager to load historical development at the top of the list, followed by dei?

edit: 6 slots happens when you load historical development below Dei. It needs to be loaded above Dei using the mod manager available at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ated-08-11-13)

I will edit the original post to make this bit clearer.
    yeah. could it be due to ceaser in gual dlc?

Quote Originally Posted by AlCord View Post
    Actually you don't need the unofficial modmanager. The ingame works like a charm. You only have to change the name of your mod, to load it above DeI. Just put an "a_" in front of the description and it works.

I have 3 recruitment slots in Rome and Magna Graecia as well
    Yeah, that's an option too.

Quote Originally Posted by lesterthenerd View Post
    yeah. could it be due to ceaser in gual dlc?
    Hmm. It seems unlikely that owning CiG would change anything for the grand campaign, but I don't have CiG so I can't say for sure that it isn't causing some problem. We will need someone with CiG to try it out and see if they run into the same issue you are running into. If there really is some issue with CiG that is going to be a very annoying issue to deal with.
    Last edited by yukishiro1; December 19, 2013 at 06:51 PM.

Just for the record before I install this, changes like "Rome has a 5 unit recruitment bonus in Italia only, and a 5000 gold income bonus" are only for the AI right? Or will my campaign playing as Rome become super easy?
    Aeimnestus was a Spartan, famous because he killed the Persian General Mardonius at the battle of Plataea.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeimnestus View Post
    Just for the record before I install this, changes like "Rome has a 5 unit recruitment bonus in Italia only, and a 5000 gold income bonus" are only for the AI right? Or will my campaign playing as Rome become super easy?
    As long as you use the proper version, it will be for the AI only. If you want to play as rome, make sure to download and use the _ROME version of the mod.

That version should have no bonus recruitment slots for Rome and only a very modest income bonus (+1000 I think), which testing showed was necessary to offset the AI bonuses given to Carthage and Macedon. Carthage and Macedon are much more powerful enemies in this minimod than they are in vanilla DeI, which means the player needs the +1000 gold bonus to help defend against them.
    Last edited by yukishiro1; December 19, 2013 at 06:57 PM.

Senator

Hmm. It seems unlikely that owning CiG would change anything for the grand campaign, but I don't have CiG so I can't say for sure that it isn't causing some problem. We will need someone with CiG to try it out and see if they run into the same issue you are running into. If there really is some issue with CiG that is going to be a very annoying issue to deal with.
    well putting "a_" in front of the mod made it load above del. weird that it wouldnt load above del using the unofficial mod manager even though i changed the order.
    Last edited by lesterthenerd; December 19, 2013 at 07:00 PM.

As long as you use the proper version, it will be for the AI only. If you want to play as rome, make sure to download and use the _ROME version of the mod.
    I should have read the OP better, its all there albeit hidden under a spoiler tag. My bad Downloading now, thanks!
    Aeimnestus was a Spartan, famous because he killed the Persian General Mardonius at the battle of Plataea.

Hehe no it's probably sorta my fault too. There is a lot of text in that first post, easy to miss stuff. I am periodically editing it to try to make it clearer.

Let me know how it goes for you. I have only played one test campaign as Rome, but it felt much closer to what I was hoping for. In my campaign, Carthage developed into a serious rival to me. At one point, it even sent two fullstack armies into Italy itself, capturing Cosentia and Neapolis before I could drive them back. It almost felt like Hannibal!
    Last edited by yukishiro1; December 19, 2013 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lesterthenerd View Post
    well putting "a_" in front of the mod made it load above del. weird that it would load above del using the unofficial mod manager even though i changed the order.
    I'm glad that worked for you. I will edit the main post to include that suggestion in case other people face the same issue.

BTW, the main differences in patch 8 I'm noticing so far mainly have to do with the East. Persia and Drangiana seem to have been changed so they stick with the Seleucids at the start of the game when most of their satrapies rebel, which means the Seleucids are in a better position than they were before. It's possible I will need to tone down the AI bonuses for the Seleucids to stop them from turning into a super-faction. But I haven't simmed far enough to really tell for sure yet.

I like many of your changes and I think some will indeed be incorporated into DeI. I do think that there is room to still have your submods, because certain changes make the game easier for players and the main mod has to be playable as any faction and provide a challenge. Maybe we can work around that, though. I just got off a modding binge updating everything for patch 8 so I am taking a break for a bit, but the next update will hopefully incorporate improvements for larger AI faction survival.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Either way is just fine by me. I will continue to refine the submod in the meantime to get the best results possible and then you and the other Dei main team guys can figure out which bits, if any, you want to incorporate into the main mod. Whatever's left can stay as a submod, assuming there's enough bits left to make it make sense.

I was like 95% happy with it for patch 7 but I'm not so happy with it for patch 8. I'm still refining the variables in the east in particular to try to get the balance right between the Seleucids and everyone else. The Seleucids got a lot stronger in patch 8 since persia and drangiana don't defect any more, and finding out the right balance now is trickier than it was in patch 7 when you could basically just figure the Seleucids were on their own against everyone on their eastern side.

The other thing I am working on is seeing if I can stop all the eastern factions from allying up with eachother. Because that produces somewhat boring results. It would be much more interesting (and realistic) if the map to the east of the seleucids were a bunch of squabbling ministates rather than one big alliance. It would also mean not having to buff the seleucids so much if those states were busy fighting eachother as well as the seleucids.

I've also noticed on the barbarian front that sine the boii got added the suebi seem to get wiped out a lot of the time very early in the game - like in the first 10 years. In patch 7 even without any buffs at all they typically ended up the dominant force in northern europe, so I hadn't given them any AI buffs at all. But now I may need to handicap them a bit to stop them from getting wiped out so early.
    Last edited by yukishiro1; December 19, 2013 at 08:57 PM.

The newest patch made the AI more aggressive in some areas early. The Boii is definitely one example.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

I think that making the Seleucids survive the early game is as easy as freeing those 3 Eastern satrapies that HATE your guts when you start out. I just played the first few turns and on turn 1 I released Aria, Sagartia, and Parthava. With those 3 gone Drangiana and Persia haven't broken away, and I didn't go to war with everything east of Turkey. Granted this is only a few turns in but it could be a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    The newest patch made the AI more aggressive in some areas early. The Boii is definitely one example.
    Which is really ironic and annoying because it really isn't a step forward at all. The last thing the game needs is MORE aggression in the first 20 turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Black9 View Post
    I think that making the Seleucids survive the early game is as easy as freeing those 3 Eastern satrapies that HATE your guts when you start out. I just played the first few turns and on turn 1 I released Aria, Sagartia, and Parthava. With those 3 gone Drangiana and Persia haven't broken away, and I didn't go to war with everything east of Turkey. Granted this is only a few turns in but it could be a solution.
    With these changes the Seleucids generally survive the early game pretty well. Changing the diplomacy status is an option but feels like a more invasive and less historical one to me. Because those areas were certainly under Seleucid hegemony at the time, at least in theory, and it feels like a bit of a cop-out to take them away from the Seleucids before the game even starts. I rather like the way this produces a long series of border skirmishes with the Seleucids recovering 3 provinces for every 4 they lose, being slowly ground down over hundreds of turns. It feels pretty much as close to real history as we can get in a game based around wars being total rather than limited.

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

With these changes the Seleucids generally survive the early game pretty well. Changing the diplomacy status is an option but feels like a more invasive and less historical one to me. Because those areas were certainly under Seleucid hegemony at the time, at least in theory, and it feels like a bit of a cop-out to take them away from the Seleucids before the game even starts. I rather like the way this produces a long series of border skirmishes with the Seleucids recovering 3 provinces for every 4 they lose, being slowly ground down over hundreds of turns. It feels pretty much as close to real history as we can get in a game based around wars being total rather than limited.
    Fair enough, honestly I don't know all that much about this period of history, although I'm picking up some by reading these threads! I wasn't sure how the Seleucids met their end, and if that's the case then good deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    I like many of your changes and I think some will indeed be incorporated into DeI. I do think that there is room to still have your submods, because certain changes make the game easier for players and the main mod has to be playable as any faction and provide a challenge. Maybe we can work around that, though. I just got off a modding binge updating everything for patch 8 so I am taking a break for a bit, but the next update will hopefully incorporate improvements for larger AI faction survival.
    If you need help implementing AI faction only changes like extra gold, extra armies or specific diplomatic stances just PM me.

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

I'll be happy to use this as soon as I'm back to R2 !
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "