Thread: Using the horde feature of BI.exe

Default Using the horde feature of BI.exe

Okay, I'm making an enhancement mod for RTRPE, which you can read about in the link in my signature. I want to add the hording ability to barbarian factions and so far I've had little success. Here's what I've done:

- Copied the horde bits from the BI descr_sm_factions.txt file for the GOTHS
    - Pasted them into the GAULS section for the RTR descr_sm_factions.txt file
    - Changed all units to "barb horde milita"
    - Created "barb horde militia" entry in EDU, gave can_horde ability (just a renamed hoplite levy, ownership gauls)
    - Created the relavent entry in the DMB (still basically levy with different name)

The game will load, and I can use the "new" horde unit in custom battles (and the can horde ability is noted in the description), but when I try to start a campaign I get an errorless CTD.

Where am I going wrong?

Ps... I'll make the unit completely unique once the horde feature works, hehe
    Last edited by JoeyJubb; September 30, 2006 at 04:47 AM.

Default Re: Using the horde feature of BI.exe

Just an update: the only campaign that won't load is the Gauls' campaign.

I excpect its okay to bump the thread after its fallen off the first page and still not been answered...

EDIT: Hording factions will CTD on load, but non-hoarding will load fine, and in the non-hoarding game, hordes will work just fine.

This is probably stupid question - but for the campaign you're trying to load -are you using bi.exe ( I'm not familiar with RTRPE)? to use hording factions in RTW I think you need to make changes so you're using -mod to reference rtw files under bi.exe.

vikrant's Avatar The Messiah of innocence

pm angry titus pullo
    he has managed to use this feature :
    Last edited by vikrant; October 08, 2006 at 03:18 PM.
    Under the Patronage of CHANDRASHEKHAR AZAD {prarara}
    patron of selenius4tsd ; tornnight
    use report button to help us keep twc clean

Yeah I'm using bi.exe

I've PM'd Angry and he's a bit stumped, lol. I'll post an answer here when I find one

I actually had this working but its sooooo long ago! I have just remembered one thing which causes crash if you're playing a horde faction and occupy a city, so might also stop loading if you attempt to play horde that has city at start, assume CTD for that would be at point when you should get to campaign map???

You need to change the RTW data/ui/culture/interface/stratpage_03.tga to the BI version, as that has the little tent type symbol for the left hand side of city screen which a horde nation player can click to opt to leave last settlement. To get that active I think you need the BI version of data/ui/strat3.rsd file as well, I think we ended up taking all the BI interface .tgas and all the .rsd's (there is some other stuff on battlepages you need for swimming icons etc) and then copying and pasting RTW faction logos back over the BI ones.

If that doesn't help please post exactly when in the loading process your CTD occurs and I'll try and remember if there were any other steps!

Oh! Lol... as luck would have it that's the thing I'm trying now.
    I used filemon and winmerge to compare the logs of the successful roman campaign against the unsuccessful illyrian one... and I traced the problem to the UI_1.pak...

Now, can you tell me if I'll be able to fix this without unpacking that pack? (I know how to, it's just I'm making it for a mod and want to keep the download size small)
    Last edited by JoeyJubb; October 09, 2006 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Changes UI_0.pak to UI_1.pak

If you end up needing to replace the BI logos with the RTW ones then you'll need to unpak the folder so you have access to them. But in terms of releasing mod you shouldn't need to re-pack and add it to the download. I'm only really sure of this using -mod:my_mod, in that you just need to include the changed/BI versions under the path rtw/my_mod/data/ui etc.
    I think for -mod you should be able to put the new/bi files in rtw/data/ui etc and it'll read those before the ones in the /packs - not 100% sure I think there are some things it looks in packs for first.

Anyway, actually, if you're not using -mod:my_mod why not? Its very neat for using/releasing an RTW under BI mod.

Using -mod:my_mod is a good idea, thank you for everything!!!!

Just to update: the game engine looks for the UI in the paks first, so the way I fixed it was to create a mod_1.pak with the correct files in.

Solved, please close

As it's a while I left modding RTW/BI I have forgot some key things.
    Can you explain how to use the -mod features of the BI exe?
    THX

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian
    As it's a while I left modding RTW/BI I have forgot some key things.
    Can you explain how to use the -mod features of the BI exe?
    THX
    See this tutorial about editing your desktop shortcut:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61918
    You`ll get the idea.