Thread: Developing an alternate style of Let's Play: The Narrative LP

Default Developing an alternate style of Let's Play: The Narrative LP

First a disclaimer: this post is partially almost entirely intended as an advertisement for my own LP project.

Although I've been a long time consumer of strategy Let's Play videos, I always found myself getting bored and giving up on watching campaigns, as I'm sure many of you have also experienced. I wanted to make my own LP where it wasn't just the usual raw footage with commentary format, and so I created a Shogun 2 (Radious Overhaul Mod) series called 'The Eternal Law'.

The Eternal Law is what I have called a 'narrative LP' series. It has two primary differences to the usual style of LP:
    1) The footage is edited and features only highlights, with the commentary being done post hoc rather than live (with all battles filmed in a cinematic style via replay). Commentary is directed to compliment the next point where possible.
    2) The footage is interspersed with original narrative that I write to enhance the characterisation of the generals and agents, to further immerse the viewer in the conflict.

Being my first Total War LP, the quality of earlier episodes isn't as good as I'd like (it even takes me a few episodes to start filming in the right aspect ratio), however, I believe the principle format of the LP is more enjoyable to watch that the traditional style, and the few dozen I regular viewers I seem to have apparently agree.

I've been making these videos for a long while, and have finally decided to see if I can reach out the TW community to get both more exposure, and more importantly more feedback as the series comes to an end and I start thinking about further developments to the format to apply to a new series.

Below is a link to a YouTube playlist where all the existing episodes can be viewed. I update it with a new episode every Saturday (these LPs take significantly longer to make than traditional ones).
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Ovlm_WFooRescl

And here is the opening episode which explains the purpose of the series in the opening few minutes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZsDbBfnjcA
    Unfortunately the episode itself is one of the least professional, being my first time . The true format of the show begins the next episode, and comes into the real spirit of things around episode 4/5 onwards.

Anyway that's quite enough. I will say though that I would really like to see more LP videos out there that divert from the usual formula as I have tried to do. So if you know of any good'uns, send them my way please! And I would absolutely love to hear your thoughts and feedback on this whole narrative LP idea, as I wish to develop it further and even branch out into other game genres if possible.

So I hope you enjoy these videos, have a great day.

An example narrative screen from a recent video:

Default Re: Developing an alternate style of Let's Play: The Narrative LP

So its like an LP mixed with an after action report? That actually sounds pretty cool. I will watch once I get to a place with decent internet.

Earl Dibbles Jr's Avatar Campidoctor
    On a need-to-know basis, and you don't need to know.

Love the idea and the videos!

Many thanks! Still I would love to hear about what you would like to be done differently so I can take it into consideration.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Moved from Shogun2 GD to Shogun2 AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Kadoken View Post
    So its like an LP mixed with an after action report? That actually sounds pretty cool. I will watch once I get to a place with decent internet.
    Having now discovered and explored, to my delight, the AAR forum, I see what you mean. I guess it is like this, but in the current format is more LP than AAR, but if I had my dirty way (i.e. more time) it certainly would contain more narrative.

Thoroughly enjoying the playlist!