Thread: [RS II AAR] By Decree of the Senate and People...

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

Default [RS II AAR] By Decree of the Senate and People...

Introduction

Salve! This will be my second attempt at an after action report. My first was Sons of Jupiter: The Beginning of the End of an Era, and was a wonderful exercise in creative writing. I did not finish it, and do not intend to, simply because of other obligations. However, I am back, and back with a different sort of idea. I will be playing as the Roman Republic. The after action report will be written in a way that leaves much up to the reader. Each update will consist of either a Senatorial decree, an official law, or, perhaps, a speech. Every update will reflect something that would be found in the form of an inscription in the modern era. Thus, every update will not cover everything that is happening in my campaign. It will cover the most important aspects, namely, when fictitious laws are passed, when wars are declared, when triumphs are awarded, when officials are elected, and so on. That way, it is up to the reader to piece together the story, somewhat like an archaeologist would after having read a series of inscriptions. I am not sure that this has ever been done before, so it is very much an experiment. I hope that this after action report will really engage readers and force them to put many pieces together. I am really excited to see where this goes, and hope that my readers will enjoy it.

BY DECREE OF THE SENATE AND PEOPLE...

Table of Contents:
    536 AUC - Appointment of Fabius Maximus as Dictator
    537 AUC - Italian Allies Revolt
    538 AUC - Triumph for Q. Fabius Maximus
    538 AUC - Lex Oppia
    Last edited by Audacia; December 20, 2013 at 09:06 AM.

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

Content Emeritus

Default Re: [RS II AAR] By Decree of the Senate and People...

536 AUC
    In the consulship of Cn. Geminus and the deceased C. Flaminius,

In light of the death of C. Flaminius, and the defeat of the consular army at the hands of he who threatens this Republic, the Senate passes a senatus consultum that permits the consul Cn. Geminus to nominate a Dictator for the matter at hand.

The situation this Republic now faces is equally unique and unsettling. The people of our city are terrified and many have attempted to flee. He who threatens this Republic has decimated the consular army commanded by the consul C. Flaminius, and now stands poised to take our beloved city. As our people's Conscript Fathers, it is our duty to remain calm in this time of dire crisis. Nonetheless, it is all too apparent that the normal offices of this Republic are no longer sufficient. Thus, we declare that the consul Cn. Geminus may nominate a Dictator for the matter at hand.

Cn. Geminus nominates the former consul and censor Q. Fabius Maximus to lead us as Dictator of this Republic. Q. Fabius Maximus' wisdom cannot be matched nor will the wisdom of other men ever surpass it. He also exceeds all men in experience and age. His passion, prudence, and firmness are evident no matter what the circumstance. As consul, he defeated the Ligurians who threatened this Republic in valiant battle and drove what was left of them beyond the Alpes. As censor, he was both fair and moderate. As an ambassador for our people, he traveled to that insolent city of the Phoenicians, where he pleaded with them to honor the treaty they had committed to. When they refused to do so, he and his honorable kinsmen formally declared war upon those detestable fools. Only he is fit to lead our beloved state out of this horrid crisis and time of great suffering.

However, because the Dictatorship bestows so much power upon one man, we deem it necessary that we, as Conscript Fathers, appoint Q. Fabius Maximus' Master of the Horse. We appoint the honorable M. Minucius Rufus as Master of the Horse. He has proved his valor time and again in battle, and will undoubtedly assist in this war against he who threatens this Republic. We expect M. Minucius Rufus and Q. Fabius Maximus to collaborate by whatever means necessary to achieve success. We trust in their abilities.

It should be noted that no man may deny the authority bestowed upon Q. Fabius Maximus. His imperium exceeds all men for the rest of this year. It should also be noted that this Senate permits Q. Fabius Maximus to ride on horseback. Under normal circumstances, dictators are expressly forbidden to ride horses. However, the radical situation we find ourselves in calls for radical consequences. Furthermore, Q. Fabius Maximus shall be accompanied by the full complement of twenty four lictors. Any man that disobeys the explicit instructions of Q. Fabius Maximus during this time shall be put to death.

This decree is to be inscribed upon bronze tablets and placed in the most frequented area of every city under Roman control in Italy.

Last edited by Audacia; December 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM.

Roma Surrectum II

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Interesting way to do a AAR! Will be following!
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Content Emeritus

537 AUC
    In the consulship of C. Terentius Varro and L. Aemilius Paullus,

By decree of the Senate, may the memory of the leading citizens of Capua, namely their elected magistrates of this year, be condemned forever. Through treachery, lies, and deceit, the leading citizens of Capua have convinced all Capuans to defect to he who threatens this Republic, and to abandon their alliance to our state. The leading citizens of Capua have ordered the slaughter of all Roman citizens in their city, including a number of Senators and merchants. H
    aving raised their own militia, they subsequently expelled garrisoned Roman soldiers there by force. Worst of all, they have agreed to provide funds, soldiers, and military resources to he who threatens this Republic, and have agreed to house him and his army for the duration of the winter season.

The treachery of the Capuans has motivated the leading citizens of many other Italian cities to follow their example. To date, hundreds of small towns and cities have defected to the Carthaginian cause. They too have slaughtered Roman citizens and expelled our armies from their lands. They are all weak. They fear an alliance with Rome will ultimately lead to their demise. They tremble at the thought of he who threatens this Republic's wrath. They smack their avaricious lips when promised gold and silver bullion, and the prospect of independence. They are blinded by wealth, greed, and their own foolishness. They will pay for their betrayal.

All inscriptions in the city of Rome that bear the names of the leading citizens of Capua shall be erased. All paintings, frescoes, and mosaics that depict them shall be altered or destroyed. All statues, reliefs, or public fountains bearing their likeness shall be demolished. No one may speak their names. They shall be forgotten forever. They are traitors, liars, and thieves, and shall thus be treated as such. The leading citizens of Capua and the other treacherous towns and cities of Italy have no honor. The gods do not look favorably upon the shamelessly corrupt.

The leading citizens of Capua shall endure damnatio memoriae. It is so ordered.
    Last edited by Audacia; December 19, 2013 at 11:19 PM.

Roma Surrectum II

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

My word that last decree was rather harsh to the womenfolk!

Still I like your take on this AAR, its original and a real break from the normal fare on offer (not that the normal style of AARs are bad); its just nice to see something a little different.

Great work, rep+

Content Emeritus

538 AUC
    In the consulship of Q. Fabius Maximus and Ti. Sempronius Gracchus,

Having been appointed Dictator, Q. Fabius Maximus avoided the army of he who threatens this Republic, and thus averted another disaster for our people. His effective, if somewhat cowardly, strategy earned him the nickname Cunctator. At the end of the consulship of Cn. Geminus, Q. Fabius Maximus stepped down as Dictator of this Republic.

After this Republic's treacherous allies betrayed us, Rome's citizens elected Q. Fabius Maximus to the consulship to replace M. Claudius Marcellus, whom many Conscript Fathers did not favor. Having been elected consul, Q. Fabius Maximus immediately marched south to meet a rebellious army of Samnites, Lucanians, and Capuans, and, though the Italians were reinforced by another army, defeated them in pitched battle. Capua was subsequently left undefended, and Q. Fabius Maximus walked through its gates unopposed. He wore a simple toga as he entered the city, to signify that he came in peace. For while he and all Romans were enraged at Capua's treachery, they knew they need not provoke another revolt. And so Fabius Maximus pardoned all Capuans, and they prostrated themselves before him, thanking him for his clemency.

Upon receiving news that a Carthaginian army had moved toward Latium, Q. Fabius Maximus then marched North. As he led his army past Rome, he witnessed seven vultures flying overhead. He immediately understood that he had the support of Mars Victor, and relayed this news to his army. Fabius Maximus subsequently met the Carthaginian army in Northern Latium, though he who threatens this Republic was not at its helm. He undoubtedly feared he would meet his end at the hands of Fabius Maximus. Fabius Maximus then crushed the Carthaginians in pitched battle, and what was left of its army fled into the woods. Having shown clemency to the Capuans, Fabius Maximus was ruthless with the Carthaginians. He slaughtered all Carthaginian prisoners, and crucified their highest ranking officers, of which there were tens. Then, having secured the safety of this Republic, he marched back to Rome.

By decree of the Senate and with the support of the People, Q. Fabius Maximus is to receive a triumph to celebrate and sanctify his victories over the rebellious Italian allies and the Carthaginians. He is permitted to wear a crown of gold and precious stones, and may wear a purple toga woven with golden stars. He is also permitted to carry a scepter of ivory and a laurel branch. He may ride in a chariot drawn by four white horses, and his closest relatives may walk beside him. Those who served on his campaign may process behind him, in addition to the rest of his army marshaled in squadrons. All of his soldiers may be crowned and may carry laurel branches, and the bravest of them may bear their own military prizes. Trumpeters shall lead this entire procession, and spoils of war may precede Fabius Maximus and his army. Lictors wearing purple tunics, a chorus of harpists and pipers, and incense bearers may accompany the wagons filled with the spoils of war.

In accordance with the traditions of our ancestors, all citizens may say whatever they like during the triumph of Q. Fabius Maximus. It is so ordered.

Last edited by Audacia; December 30, 2013 at 11:37 PM.

Roma Surrectum II

Content Emeritus

538 AUC
    Lex Oppia

In the consulship of Q. Fabius Maximus and Ti. Sempronius Gracchus,

By decree of the Concilium Plebis presided over by the tribune of the people, Gaius Oppius, no Roman woman may possess more than half an ounce of gold, wear any garment of multiple colors, or ride in a vehicle drawn by an animal in the city of Rome or any town within a mile thereof, excluding instances of religious festivals.

This Republic faces dark and troubling times. We are at war with ruthless enemies that will stop at nothing to ensure the destruction of our beloved state. The towns and cities of Southern Italy do not know what is good for them. Their people have allied themselves with he who threatens this Republic and his cowardly kinsmen. They have betrayed our trust, even after we had provided them protection and safety for many years. Their prosperity was once linked with ours. Without our people, they are nothing. Without us, they will fail.

Nonetheless, their rebellious ways have cost us dearly. Our treasury is nearly empty. We have spent countless denarii raising armies to protect our beloved state, and in doing so have exhausted our financial resources. In light of our deprivation, we feel it necessary that the women of this Republic cut back their avaricious ways. The money they spend on expensive jewelry, clothing, and means of transportation could be better spent feeding the armies of our beloved state. Thus, the people forbid them from participating in the purchase of said items, and ask that they do not flaunt those that they already possess. The people especially prohibit fine clothing trimmed in purple, for it is a color reserved for tyrants, and it is not proper for women to wear it.

Furthermore, the people believe that women's affinity for luxury can only undermine our most cherished and sacred values and traditions. Luxury weakens our people's martial spirit, that which is responsible for all of our success. Luxurious ways are for the weak, the lazy, and the greedy. Those devoted to wealth and riches are slaves, with gold and fine jewels serving as their masters. They may corrupt this virtuous Republic, and we must do all that we can to ensure that they do not.

Desperate times indeed call for severe measures. The people have spoken, and will be heard. Any woman who disobeys this decree shall be punished severely, and may very well be killed. This decree shall be inscribed in bronze and placed near the Rostra in the Forum.

Last edited by Audacia; December 19, 2013 at 09:43 PM.

Roma Surrectum II

Content Emeritus

I switched around the updates, to better reflect historical accuracy and what is happening in my campaign. It should be noted that I am attempting to play a historically accurate campaign. It has been difficult, though successful, thus far. All of my updates to this point have reflected historically accurate events that I have brought to life in my campaign. For example, many of the Italian allies defected to Hannibal following the disaster at Cannae, and the second inscription reflects this event, which is of course is a scripted event in Roma Surrectum.

In addition, much of what is detailed in my inscriptions is historically accurate. For example, the inscription detailing Fabius Maximus' triumph derives from Appian's Punic Wars. For another example, the Lex Oppia was a real Roman law. Finally, I try to use the name of the consuls in the game when writing my inscriptions. However, my characters are not always consuls, and thus I do not know who the real consuls are. When faced with this discrepancy, I turn to historical accuracy, and name the consuls who truly held that office during that year.

Roma Surrectum II

Content Emeritus

542 AUC
    ...Publius Cornelius Scipio, son of Lucius, consul of the Roman People, and a man admired by all who were graced by his presence.

He lived a total of fifty years, throughout which he served this Republic faithfully. ...elected consul to halt the advance of he who threatened this Republic. Fortune, however, did not favor Rome's faithful servant, and he was unable to meet the enemy in battle. He immediately returned to Italy to confront this Republic's adversary. Despite his most valiant efforts, he was severely wounded in a small engagement. Nonetheless, he soon recovered, and once more sought to defeat the who threatened this Republic. Always cautious, never proud, and always acting in the interests of the commonwealth, he warned against meeting he who threatened this Republic in battle at Trebia. However, his warning fell upon deaf ears, and the armies of this Republic consequently suffered a catastrophic defeat.

Despite many setbacks, the Roman People never lost faith in him. His term of command was extended, and when the ungrateful peoples of Southern Italy allied themselves with the our hated foes, he marched there with a legion. In pitched battle, he defeated the enemy and routed every last one of the vanquished enemy. He personally saved the life of a military tribune whom he loved and trusted greatly. Having been knocked to the ground, the tribune was nearly stabbed with blade of a rebellious Italian soldier. However, Scipio, fighting near him at the time, swiftly rode toward the enemy soldier and cut him down moments before the fatal blow could be struck. For his extraordinary valor and fortitude, the Conscript Fathers awarded him the hasta pura. For retaining his ground throughout the whole battle against the rebellious Italians, they additionally awarded him the corona aurea.

Having served his term as consul and having distinguished himself in battle, the Senate and People of this Republic elected to send him to Hispania to meet the enemy and end the war with he who threatened this Republic once and for all. However...died...Arettium...and never had the opportunity to vanquish the cowardly enemy. May he now be with Dis Pater and prospering in the Elysian Fields. His valor and success shall never be forgotten.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "..." indicate that the text of the inscription cannot be translated. I include them to make the reader feel a bit more like an archaeologist and to give the inscriptions a bit of flavor. After all, not every inscription could be definitively translated.
    Last edited by Audacia; December 25, 2013 at 11:41 PM.

Roma Surrectum II

Content Emeritus

A tattered piece of papyrus parchment is found during the excavation of a small villa near Rome. A short poem seems to have been written upon it. What can be deciphered reads...

542 AUC
    ...the bristles of his beard could hardly be seen,
    His skin was soft and smooth.
    His eyes were sharp and always alert,
    He voice was that of a leader.

His heart was great yet his courage was greater,
    His strength unmatched among men.
    His mind was keenly aware at all times,
    And his kindness knew no bounds.

Yet even his youthfulness did not make him greedy,
    He sought neither power nor fame.
    His only desire was to avenge his father and uncle,
    Who the barbarians had recently slain.

Thus the Conscript Fathers anointed him commander,
    And he rode at the head of an army.
    A victory and then he was off to Spain,
    To end the war that plagued the commonwealth...

Roma Surrectum II