Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there black people in Fantasy Warhammer?

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Default Are there black people in Fantasy Warhammer?

I am a bit of a lore whore and I read any of the warhammer fantasy novel's that I can get my hands on. One of the things I have noticed is that there does not seem to be any black people in the warhammer world.

I think the closest would be very dark skinned sailors from Ind that are mentioned a couple of times in some of the Gotrek and Felix books. I read the veritable tome of knowledge that is the Rise of Nagash book and it has no mention of any black people. Lizard men inhabit the southern jungles below Nehekara but there doesnt seem to be any humans that far south.

The only exception I could find are a race of Pygmies that live in Lustria who have nearly been driven into extinction by the Lizardmen. They steal Cold one eggs and then raise them as their own for protection.

To my knowledge they were discontinued for fairly obvious reasons

So does anyone know of any others?

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Are there black people in Fantasy Warhammer?

Ind=India. But maybe there are some south of Araby.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciciro View Post
    Ind=India. But maybe there are some south of Araby.
    well obviously.... I was just saying thats the only mention of very dark skinned people.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlood View Post
    The only exception I could find are a race of Pygmies that live in Lustria who have nearly been driven into extinction by the Lizardmen. They steal Cold one eggs and then raise them as their own for protection.

To my knowledge they were discontinued for fairly obvious reasons

So does anyone know of any others?
    Good lord, that thing actually existed? That's tasteless even by 1920's standards.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Warhammer is Medieval Europe + fantasy stuff (Elves, Chaos, giant Rats...). No love for Africa or Asia unfortunately.

I think another human faction themed around Asia or Africa would be pretty cool. It would be something very different to the Empire (obvious 1300/1500 European styled armies) or Bretonnia (Medieval Western Knights) and wouldn't have an allegiance with the Empire I suspect (since their isolation and separation from most of the world).

I remember reading about Warhammer Fantasy Lore. There is supposed to be some other Island far away with a huge Kingdom or Empire that would be similar to Spain/Rome. Resembling Southern Europeans, then again, not all Southern Europeans have dark skin.

Edelfred's Avatar Semisalis

Yes they have dark-skinned people like Nehekhara, Nagash http://whfb.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/...agashHuman.jpg
    were originally from Egypt . The name of Khemri inspired by Egyptians selfname - Kemi black , as they perceived the color of earth around Nile.
    Last edited by Edelfred; December 21, 2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: deleting bold in quotes

Nagash wasnt really dark skinned and even less so now that he's a skeleton, many of the models of the Arabians show them to be quite dark however.

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Arabian_Army_List
    I check into small hotel a few kilometers from Kiev. It is late. I am tired. I tell woman at desk I want a room. She tells me room number and give key. "But one more thing comrade; there is one room without number and always lock. Don't even peek in there." I take key and go to room to sleep. Night comes and I hear trickling of water. It comes from the room across. I cannot sleep so I open door. It is coming from room with no number. I pound on door. No response. I look in keyhole. I see nothing except red. Water still trickling. I go down to front desk to complain. "By the way who is in that room?" She look at me and begin to tell story. There was woman in there. Murdered by her husband. Skin all white, except her eyes, which were red. I tell her I don't give a . Stop the water trickling or give me refund. She gave me 100 ruble credit and free breakfast. Such is life in Moscow

I don't think the Arabians are really "black" in the sense that OP probably has in mind, more like Warhammer's analogue to Middle Eastern peoples. In general this is because the Warhammer Universe is either intended to be a parallel fantasy version of Earth, or a world conjured up in some sick chaos god's imagination that resembles the Terra of long days past, depending on what version of the fluff you choose to believe. With that in mind, there are probably "black" as in African, people somewhere in the very south of the landmass, and they're likely to be as over the top stereotypical as everything else in the Warhammer franchise.

Biarchus

As far as i know there is not really much about black people in the Warhammer lore, it's mostly set in a Medieval Europe fantasy kind of setting. This is how i see it, and remmember it being kind of based on some more than others.

The Empire = Central Europe/Holy Roman Empire
    Tilea = Italy
    Estalia = Spain
    Bretonnia = France
    Kislev = Russia
    Araby = Arabia
    Norsca = Scandinavia
    Albion = Britain
    Sylvania = Transylvania
    Ulthuan = Atlantis
    Lustria = South America
    Naggaroth = North America
    Ind = India
    Nippon = Japan
    Cathay = China
    Kuresh = Varius South Asian cultures/nations.
    Nehekhara/Land of the Dead = Egypt

So there probably is black people, but probably GW dosn't see them fit their Medieval Europe fantasy vision. But i'v heard that there are "dark skinned" people in the Southlands below Nehekhara living along side Lizardmen, but they prefer not getting involved or leave their home. They are one with the nature and their surroundings, and as far as i know haven't left their region yet.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Hea View Post
    Good lord, that thing actually existed? That's tasteless even by 1920's standards.

you might be thinking of a different 1920s.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Maybe the old humans mistook dark skin as a sign of being affiliated with Chaos?

S'pose that could explain the lack of dark skinned people in WH40K xD
    Last edited by SinerAthin; January 26, 2014 at 06:46 PM.
    "He who wishes to be the best for his people, must do that which is necessary - and be willing to go to hell for it."

Let the Preservation, Advancement and Evolution of Mankind be our Greater Good.

And NO, my avatar is the coat of arms from the Teutonic Knightly Order because they're awesome.

Confederate Soldier's Avatar Ordinarius

Yes there are, while reading this, and the name Nagash, I recalled the series of "Legends", and remembered that in the Nagash series there is a "dark skinned" tribe. Now, how dark, I don't know. The series goes into the different "nations" inside of Nehekara. It mentions Celtic/Germanic like peoples of the North, whom are slaves, and mercs for the kings, and queens of the empire, with one of the northern nations having allot of them in their army. It also mentions a former enemy of the Empire, a tribe of horsemen from the South, who's god is a blood thirsty sand god.

The tribe has been accepted into the Empire, but I don't recall if they have a city. I think they might, but it was small, as most would have kept up the nomadic ways. They are famed warriors, and their priests are feared, as they have to shed blood for blessings from their deity. If I knew more I would tell ya, but I only read the books for the Barrow Kings, aka the Northern Tribes, and the people who lived near the mountain that Nagash took over. Found it to be a very good book series though. The Empire was advanced in some areas, had flying ships(zeppelins), and contact to Cathay, which included a, I think hand maiden, who was in love with one of the queens. She gets a taste of unlife in the end.

Did a small look, and I think their god was "Khsar - God of the desert. Does not have an animal form but sometimes appers as the desert wind"
    I know that when the priest cast a spell for a sandstorm to rip the flesh from the bones, and the blood from the flesh, the sandstorm got ticked, as it had little to no effect(undead), and something bad happened to the priest for it. A Blood toll needed to be paid.
    Proud Crusader for the F.A.I.T.H. and Gunslinger for DIXIE
    People don’t want to live in a world where god’s fight amongst each other, One God is Enough! -Alex Rosewater

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate Soldier View Post
    Yes there are, while reading this, and the name Nagash, I recalled the series of "Legends", and remembered that in the Nagash series there is a "dark skinned" tribe. Now, how dark, I don't know. The series goes into the different "nations" inside of Nehekara. It mentions Celtic/Germanic like peoples of the North, whom are slaves, and mercs for the kings, and queens of the empire, with one of the northern nations having allot of them in their army. It also mentions a former enemy of the Empire, a tribe of horsemen from the South, who's god is a blood thirsty sand god.

The tribe has been accepted into the Empire, but I don't recall if they have a city. I think they might, but it was small, as most would have kept up the nomadic ways. They are famed warriors, and their priests are feared, as they have to shed blood for blessings from their deity. If I knew more I would tell ya, but I only read the books for the Barrow Kings, aka the Northern Tribes, and the people who lived near the mountain that Nagash took over. Found it to be a very good book series though. The Empire was advanced in some areas, had flying ships(zeppelins), and contact to Cathay, which included a, I think hand maiden, who was in love with one of the queens. She gets a taste of unlife in the end.

Did a small look, and I think their god was "Khsar - God of the desert. Does not have an animal form but sometimes appers as the desert wind"
    I know that when the priest cast a spell for a sandstorm to rip the flesh from the bones, and the blood from the flesh, the sandstorm got ticked, as it had little to no effect(undead), and something bad happened to the priest for it. A Blood toll needed to be paid.
    I also read that book (it was actually what spawned this thread ) the semi-nomadic tribe you are referring to are the sole survivors of Nehekara that escaped to the north west and their decendants eventually went on to found Arabia or whatever its called

Confederate Soldier's Avatar Ordinarius

Oh wow, do they still worship Khsar, or is it now a forgotten god left behind? Lexicanum seems to hint that he is no longer in worship, sadly. Must have been other people living in the area though, as arkhan the black raided and enslaved its people during his living life /transcendence into unlife to build the black tower, also attacked them not long after Negash fell, if I remember correctly.
    Proud Crusader for the F.A.I.T.H. and Gunslinger for DIXIE
    People don’t want to live in a world where god’s fight amongst each other, One God is Enough! -Alex Rosewater

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate Soldier View Post
    Oh wow, do they still worship Khsar, or is it now a forgotten god left behind? Lexicanum seems to hint that he is no longer in worship, sadly. Must have been other people living in the area though, as arkhan the black raided and enslaved its people during his living life /transcendence into unlife to build the black tower, also attacked them not long after Negash fell, if I remember correctly.
    I doubt that they worship him as they used to, he might have evolved into another god or perhaps he's worshiped alongside others but of lesser importance than he once was?
    I think the desert tribe most likely merged with or conquered whoever lived on the arabyan coast before they got there. The way they dress, act, fight etc is a perfect match for the Arabyans so it must be them!

Edelfred's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Moorish guy View Post
    Nagash wasnt really dark skinned and even less so now that he's a skeleton, many of the models of the Arabians show them to be quite dark however.

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Arabian_Army_List
    In Warhammer Egypt is like ancient one , not the modern Arabyan one . It means big amount of Nubians

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlood View Post
    I am a bit of a lore whore
    Weeell....that just isn't true, if you were then would also know that there's tons of black people in 40K. For starters the entire Salamander's legion from Nocturne were black, including their primarch the Emperor's most loyal son Vulkan. Except Vulkan wasn't actually from Nocturne but he's still depicted as black. Second... Inquistor Mordicai Toth was also black.

Here are some other examples of black people in 40k.

& to quote someone on Bolter & Chainsword forums:

Quote Originally Posted by Telanicus
    I have met plenty of people who agree with me when I make the statement, "There is no Black race, there is no Asian Race, there is only the HUMAN Race." The fact that people agree with that is enough to tell me "racism" can die in a few thousand years.

Just to point out to the majority of the posts in this thread, Warhammer is "FICTION".... yes they have based inspiration of armors and vehicle designs for space marines from medieval armors, no need to cross the two in any way what so ever. For all you know the Emperor could even be black...

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Strannix View Post
    Just to point out to the majority of the posts in this thread, Warhammer is "FICTION".... yes they have based inspiration of armors and vehicle designs for space marines from medieval armors, no need to cross the two in any way what so ever. For all you know the Emperor could even be black...
    Not likely, seeing as he was born in Anatolia.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast