Thread: Quick yet possibly large question

TheCenturion24's Avatar Semisalis

Default Quick yet possibly large question

Hallo, I think I might have sorta asked this before but I never figured out what to do, so I thought I'd ask it a little differently to see if it's possible.

RSII is one of my favorite mods for Rome TW, alongside EU and even Darthmod for when I want a simple, relaxing vanilla experience. On that token, I'm not exactly a hardcore Rome player. So I find it difficult to completely find myself lost in a particular mod, since they're designed for particular audiences and there's always little things that niggle me. It's all personal, obviously.

I love the detail in RSII. I love the incredible graphics, the long, grueling battles and the complex campaign system which I'm still trying to fully figure out. However, there's a few things I've never been able to completely enjoy, and that's simply because I enjoy the 'start with nothing, build up' gameplay that RSII isn't based on. Playing as Rome, you obviously start with parts of Italy and have to fight off Hannibal, which is where my question lies. Is it possible to remove the starting Carthaginian forces from Italy, and rearrange the starting statuses for several factions? How intertwined with scripts is the game? If it's possible, how would I do it?

Please don't ask 'why would you want that', since I know it sounds odd and not historically accurate. But I enjoy a more of a 'blank slate' start compared to the scripted start of RSII, which lacks a little replayability in my opinion. Still fantastic work though.

Default Re: Quick yet possibly large question

Quite understand where you're coming from - you'd probably be extremely happy with each Faction, including Roman, only having a single settlement and only a tiny garrison at the start and not be at war with anyone.

You're also quite right in that the Mod isn't set that way at all - it's designed to start at the time of Rome's greatest challenge when Hannibal arrived in Italy during the 2nd Punic War and the Socii Allies were very grumpy with their Roman 'masters' indeed. It's set up that way to give the experienced RTW player a serious initial challenge - including the distinct possibility of losing.

What you would need/want is a sub-mod that replaced the starting position files and removed Hannibal and the Socii Rebellion scripts and set it to 'something simpler'. I'd also take out the 'Cimbri Invasion' script (if it's still there) and possibly the 2nd Rebellion one myself too. I do not believe such work would actually be that difficult, but it would take some careful thought and some testing to get right.

Funnily enough this is again something where the Rome2 basis would give more flexibility as it allows so many more factions and different inter-playing.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

TheCenturion24's Avatar Semisalis

Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing such a sub-mod doesn't exist at the moment, though, as I've had a quick look through and there doesn't seem to be anything of the sort. In terms of doing it myself, what files would I look at editing? And yes, I am a total newb at TW modding outside of Warscape's pack files so I'm a little lost. Is there any hope for a newbie such as myself?

EDIT: Now I've actually bothered to do some research on it, I've starting looking through descr_strat.txt and have located 'ol Hannibal's army, which I shall proceed to demolish, or at least move back to Carthage itself. I'm hoping it's as simple as changing some co-ordinates or purely deleting the script section, though I haven't the time tonight to play around with it. I also need to check up which cities I'm going to have to change about to Roman or neutral control. Is there map editors for Rome I or am I going to have to manually use cheats to make a list in-game?

ANOTHER EDIT: On second thought, maybe it'd be better to keep Hannibal's invasion in and instead somehow remove those rebellion scripts. Hm... where exactly are RSII's scripts stored?
    Last edited by TheCenturion24; December 15, 2013 at 06:34 AM.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

There are two files that work together to run the scripting in RS2. If I were you, I would simply disable them altogether, as trying to edit them, if you are not experienced, would result invariably in a CTD.

To disable them, go into the campaign you want to do this in, open descr_strat.txt, and at the bottom, comment out this line:

campaign_script.txt

So that it looks like this:

;campaign_script.txt

Then go into the 'scripts\showme' folder in that campaign and rename 'background_script.txt' something else. Don't delete it, you may want it back. This should disable all scripting.

Edit: Good thing I tested that. Sorry, doesn't work. Don't do that.
    Last edited by dvk901; December 15, 2013 at 09:48 AM.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father