Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Titanium Core - Chapter 5: Aftermath - Updated 11 Feb 2015

Default Re: Titanium Core - Chapter 4 (Part 1) - Updated 8 June 2014

Seeing how it's been exactly a month since the last update, I've finally worked up enough inspiration for the continuation. Once I get the ball rolling, it should be a few days before I post part 2.

Default Titanium Core - Chapter 4 (Part 2) - Updated 13 July 2014

Chapter 4 - Part 2
    June, 2553 C.E.
    Zafereon (Cehlirak Massing, Gorjian System)

A few days later...

The room is warm and stuffy, the air stale, and a young woman got off her lover, after having been quite intimate with each other, and down from the bed, making sure to firmly smack the guy across the face, before walking over to the bookshelf to look for something. This type of guy she knew only too well, the type who cares for two things: chests and a----, but at the time she picked him up, the only things cared for were his looks and whatever he had in his pants. Having been deprived of exercising her primal urges for what felt like weeks, she'd needed a fling to satiate her cravings, and to his end, he'd fulfilled his ends in a quite adequate fashion. And in the darkened room, with the occasionally flash of light seeping through the blinds, she tactfully hid the item she'd retrieved from the bookshelf behind her back, walking back toward the hookup, who was still lying on the bed.

Temptingly, she crossed the room, a grin on her lips and playfully showing off her assets at him, letting him think all had been forgiven. If he hadn't been smitten with his conquest, it would've been prudent to look into her eyes, for they spoke of scheming, not seduction, but his ego was too clouded to think of anything else. The closer she got, he believed he was in for another romp, and she did nothing to indicate to the contrary. Sweat rolled down her curves as she stood near the edge of the bed, pulse steady as a flash of light lit the room, and in the blink of an eye, she had a silenced pistol pointed at him. It was only sweet irony, that that as he lay there reveling in having gotten laid by a fine ass girl, she was about ready to screw him again, only not in a way he would have imagined. Having no clue what was coming with his eyes being close, she drew the pistol and with expert precision, plugged the stranger twice in the chest, then rested the weapon on the chair behind her.

“Tsk-tsk...you shouldn't have done it, and now, you'll never do it again,”she said dryly, a strange wave of satisfaction flushing to her extremities, something akin to pleasure while staring at his corpse.

Going toward the bathroom, she grabbed a towel that had been sitting on the laundry hamper, figuring she'd take a shower to freshen up and get the love stink off her skin.

Taking the towel and tossing it over her shoulder, she peered back at the still-warm body on the bed, she said with a wistful sigh, “Too bad he didn't listen, because that boy f---ed like a champ.”

With a literal bounce in her step, she went into the bathroom to that shower she was in desperate need of, taking her precious time to get every square inch she could. Twenty minutes later, she was drying her hair with the towel when the door slid open and a faint beeping was heard coming from the computer, she not-so-urgently went over, tapped a key and a direct video connection was made with the BSI. She paid no mind that she was prancing around her apartment naked, there was nothing to hide and the young lady was proud, damned proud, of what she had to offer; so when the video finally came up, she didn't shy away one bit.

A man, in his early twenties, appeared on the screen and didn't take but a second for him to notice.

“We've been through this too many times Stevens, either put something on or I disconnect,” he sighed, “for while I can appreciate your candor, you're far too liberal with the attire you choose to wear. In this case...chose not to wear.”

Alyssa smiled, “Oh you're far too kind darlin', but if you insist,” she spoke in captivating southern American accent as she stepped away for a second to put on a robe before returning.

“So why's your cute self contacted me out of the blue?”

The BSI agent cleared his voice and got to the point, “A few days ago, a quick strike team was sent to the Xelanite homeworld to retrieve a top secret artifact, then return to Alliance space to be analyzed. The team has not been heard from since, meaning they likely met resistance and were destroyed during the course of their mission. Their names nor the full details of the mission have been divulged, but I have been instructed to have you come in, so you can be briefed.”

Behaving apprehensively,yet as a way of covering his bases, the agent sent the dossiers of the last known possessors of the artifact in question.

“We have reason to believe that these individuals took the item there, it is unclear whether they're still on Xeltana or have since departed. Should you encounter any of them, confirm their presence but maintain distance,” the agent instructed.

Opening the documents on a separate screen, she skimmed through the information of each, that is, until Alyssa reached the last dossier in question, whereby she took a glance at the name and picture, then back the agent, then back at the file.

“Might this man be a relation of yours? Because I spy some similarities, both in the face and the name,”she astutely queried, sitting down in the chair nearest the desk

Decidedly uncomfortable, Alyssa swiveled her body and hung her legs over one of the chair's arms, waiting for the agent to answer but also checking out her nails, making sure she hadn't chipped any of them during her fling. A marked silence hung over the conversation for the next few seconds, the agent's refusal to reply was all the answer she needed.

“When would I need to be in?” she asked, distractedly running a finger up and down between her perky mounds, seeing if she could try getting the agent's pulse up.

Unfazed, he replied, “At the earliest possible convenience.”

With a sigh and wistful grin, “Suppose that means I best get ready,” and before she was ready to disconnect, Alyssa mentions, “One more thing before I let you go, could you send some boys over...I kinda made a mess of my date, he was by no means a gentleman and didn't know the meaning of 'no.' So I taught him. Thanks darlin', kisses!”

When the video went dark, the younger Braedan sat back in his chair, shaking his head and asking himself, “Why are all the pretty ones psychos?”

Hopping out of the chair, Alyssa was giddy, but not for the reasons one might think. It came with the territory that being an operative in the field work doesn't often allow for fashionable clothing, so when she gets the opportunity to dress to impress, she reveled in it. Heading over to her closest, it was hard not to drool at the opinions. Alyssa picked out matching pair of bra and underwear, a tailored tan, military-styled dress shirt, a tight black skirt that fell slightly above the knee, black knee-high stockings, and a pair of, stylish yet functional, low black boots.

Taking her time to get the look perfect, including the makeup, she was suitably pleased before decided it was time to step out. When she was ready to leave, Alyssa blew an affectionate kiss to the man who was lying dead on her bed, giving off a slight giggle, and turning off the lights as she closed the apartment's door behind her.

July, 2553 C.E.
    Xeltana, Pax Capitolina

To the relief of everyone, Braedan awoke from his coma about a week after the attack on the Academy, especially Edhen and his crew; however good these tidings may have been, they were masked by the intrigue stemming from the unprovoked raid. The mercenary didn't have to hear the words, yet he was able to read the body language, the behavior of the Xelanites in what few visits outside he was given for fresh air during his recovery. It was clear when Edhen's father, a government official, came by his room while she was visiting, to announce that Braedan would receive a medal to honor his selfless heroism, though given the rumors that had slowly begun to circulate, it'd be a hollow gesture.

If what he felt came to pass, tough decisions would need to be made. Allegiances would be tested, relationships would be strained, and loyalties would be called into question. If Braedan knew his history well enough, he knew a slight like this could not be overlooked by the Xelanites, for their honor would not allow this usurpation to continue; and humanity, chock full of the advantageous, who were ever lusting for glory to immortalize their names in stone, would not pass on the chance to expand mankind's dominion across the galaxy. Politicians on either side would debate for months about who did this or about who started what or a thousand different scenarios over the same subject, yet their stubborn pride knew where it would end.

Questions would abound in the next few weeks, months or however long it would be until tensions came to a head. Foremost in his mind, Braedan asked himself: If push came to shove, would humanity see him as a pariah for abandoning his people, and/or would the Xelanites see him as a liability to be cast off? The notion that conflict could be avoided was moot at this point, because war was coming. There was no telling when or where it would start, but it was coming and it was inevitable.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Titanium Core - Chapter 4 (Part 2) - Updated 13 July 2014

Well that was... graphic. You may have gone a little too far there, reason being that this forum still has to obey the TOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Well that was... graphic. You may have gone a little too far there, reason being that this forum still has to obey the TOS.
    I'll take it down and make revisions.

EDIT: Revisions were made, and the story should now be appropriate.

Everyone, my apologies for not getting updates out regularly. The inspirations, which used to come from left, right, and everywhere in between, have kind of slowed to a crawl; along that line, IRL, I'm pretty close to landing a job (not ideal, but it's something) and I've been going back and forth trying to reach the manager to schedule an assessment, but it's proven a challenge. Once I can get that sorted, and have some better clarity on things, I should be able to get updates written and posted more frequently.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hey man, real life comes first.

Default Titanium Core - Chapter 4 (Part 3) - Updated 30 July 2014

Chapter 4 - Part 3
    July, 2553 C.E.
    Xeltana, Pax Capitolina

It had been just over a week since the physicians from the garrison had deemed Braedan fit to leave, his injuries having sufficiently healed from the attack weeks earlier. The after effects were still unknown at this point, since there had been no public incident that the physicians would have called his mental stability into question, as Braedan hadn't displayed any shortcomings during the recovery process. One thing he knew, one thing he hadn't let on, was that the training he'd received in his younger years allowed him to block out events that would traumatize a lesser person; in spite of that, it did have its limitations. The human mind can endure only so much before it breaks, and regardless of whatever medical advances are made, it is but a fragile thing, for all it may take is the tiniest pinprick for it to shatter beyond repair.

A few days after his release, Braedan seemed to back to his old self upon his return to the villa, with his squad unable to detect any changes to his character, other than he seemed a bit more reserved. For Edhen however, the changes were subtle and discernible, since part of her schooling as a Courtesan had taught her to pick up on alterations in someone's personality, whether large or small, to gain leverage during conversations or negotiations. What was bothering was that while they slept together after Braedan had come back, it's like he had developed a sudden lack of attraction for her, not once trying to initiate anything resembling intimacy and when she tried, Edhen got the sense he was closing himself off.

From a standpoint of affection, she hadn't lost any desirability; it was that Braedan was cutting any emotional ties to this place, which had acted as a safe harbor, from what he knew was approaching along the horizon. He had no idea if Edhen had seen glimpses of it in her day-to-day activities, and it may have felt that he was being distant, Braedan was simply preparing himself should the worst come to pass.

A day or so later, it'd been decided to begin returning some equipment back to the Centurion, with Braedan not wanting the crew to think these accommodations were permanent. Edhen was returning home when she caught him going over instructions to Talia and Dani about which items were to be returned to this ship, leaving her curious about what was going on. Thoughtfully asking to talk with him in private, the two of them walked into Edhen's office, wherein the doors closed behind them.

“Might I ask what all this is?” she questioned him over why his crew was moving things out of the villa.

“Don't know if you've seen it personally, but during the time I was in that infirmary, your people's behavior was getting antsy, like they were getting ready for something. And when s--- hits the fan, I don't wanna be anywhere near this place when it does,” he surmised not-so-eloquently.

Giving him a strange look, she didn't know what that meant.

Braedan sighed, scratching his chin, “To put it plainly...when things go bad, it's going to go everywhere.”

Edhen shrugged her shoulders, “Your paranoia is unfounded. This is you running scared from what happened weeks ago, and how it had you fighting for your life. In all the time I've known you, you were confident to the point of being stubborn; now, on the other hand, you're scared and unsure, like something's been unsettled.”

“Yes...I'm afraid,” he acknowledged, nodding his head, “and contrary to what you think, I'm not scared for myself, I'm scared for all the people I've endangered here.”

Not entirely convinced, she shook her head, “You're being delusional, fabricating a threat as an excuse to leave. Just like years ago, just like now.”

“There was a girl in the market,” he began with a twinge of emotion, “beneath an overturned stall, couldn't have been any older than ten. She'd crawled under the cloth awning, to hide from the fighting, having been shot through her abdomen. With hardly strength left in her arms, I pulled her out and held her, comforting her until she drew her final breath,” he turned and looked away, “That girl, Gracia, was an innocent who shouldn't have died, but died because I sought shelter here, because I brought the Alliance here.”

Then it dawned on Edhen, when she'd walked through market that night, the body of the child that had had a cloth draped over it before soldiers removed it so identification could be made, Braedan had been there.

Coming up behind him, she placed her hand on his shoulder and whispered, “Short brown hair, pastel-colored dress soaked in blood...you were the one who'd covered her.”

“Now you know the reason why I can't stay. The longer I do, the more of your people are put in danger,” he admitted, “your leaders will see me as a liability, and whatever happens after this, I can't be held responsible.”

She knelt her head when he faced her, “What does this mean?”

“I'm not hiding behind an excuse this time,” Braedan confessed, softly raising Edhen's chin to look into her eyes, “but I have an excuse greater than myself worth fighting for, something I wish I'd seen before.”

Pausing, he waited for her reaction.

“What these past couple months have shown me, is that I'm still restless, still lacking fortitude. Staying away from civilization for long stretches allowed me to withdraw, avoiding anything that would make me sympathetic. Finding that girl reminded me, that no matter how far I ran from it, my humanity couldn't let me pass her by without helping; but when I went into the Academy, it was effortless letting it go, like snapping your fingers.”

Wrapping her arms around his waist, Edhen rested her head on his chest, “I cannot find the words that would calm you, since I'm not human,” she flashed a grin he couldn't see, then spoke soothingly, “but my people have a saying, “Pugno per igneus voluntas, sedo pectus pectoris est necessarius.””

Holding her body close to his, Braedan asked, “What does it mean?”

“To fight with ardent purpose, the calm heart is needed.”

He asked, “Why that particular saying?”

Pulling away, Edhen answered, “You've always been proud, meaning I won't be able to dissuade you from what you're intending to do. What that saying is meant to tell you, is that he whose heart is devoid of despair and doubt, his fight becomes pure and honest, against all adversity. Remember this in the dark corners and darker hours, for they will provide you a guiding light to those you call 'friend.'”

Gazing into her eyes, soaking in their warmth and affection, no words could convey to Edhen what he was feeling in that moment. At the same time, as she peered into his eyes, knowing Braedan would continue to be that headstrong, dutiful young man she met years ago; yet with age came wisdom, wherein he had learned prudence and patience, through a bit of trial and error. She could tell that drive, that perseverance that pushed him, wouldn't let him accept failure.

When Braedan moved in to snag a kiss, Edhen pressed a pair of fingers to his lips and said with a gleeful grin, “Tsk tsk...not right now. You have things to do, as well as I, and we still have the ceremony to attend this evening, which leaves me little enough time to make you presentable.”

Removing her fingers from his mouth, he smirked and complained sarcastically, “Do you we really have to?”

“If you'd rather I contact the Chancellor, local dignitaries, regional officials, and government ministers, all of whom were invited to this ceremony, to see the awarding of the Insigne Virtus, and cancel because the recipient of said award would rather remain indisposed. Is that what you want?” she remarked, purposefully goading him into going.

Braedan jovially kidded, “Putting it that way, guess I should go.”

“I can't remember you being this gullible,” Edhen gasped with a smirk on her lips.

“I can't remember you being that decisively persuasive,” smiling as he replied.

Placing a hand on his cheek, she shook her head with a grin, “Well, we best get our tasks done. Make sure to be back in a few hours, I need plenty of time to get you looking proper for this evening.”

Edhen then let her hand slip to her side, Braedan smiled, “As you wish, mistress,” sneaking in a kiss on her cheek before exiting the office, immediately issuing details to his crew before the doors slid shut behind him.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Titanium Core - Chapter 4 (Part 3) - Updated 30 July 2014

I like the way you portray how Braedan has been changed by his near death experience. I hope to see more of it (if only a glimpse every now and then) of how deeply it has impacted him. Good to see another update! + rep
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Titanium Core - Chapter 4 (Part 3) - Updated 30 July 2014

Good job!

Default Titanium Core - Chapter 4 (Part 4) - Updated 6 Aug 2014

Chapter 4 - Part 4
    “And there...,” Edhen proudly announced, standing back to observe Braedan, “you could almost pass for a liberalis if one didn't know better.”

Braedan squirmed, “Wouldn't be so sure about that,” holding his hands up and looking himself over, “and you're sure your people wear this everyday? Feels kinda loose and baggy, without support in areas where I need support.”

Resting her hands on her hips, she sighed, “Stop complaining, you sound like a child. Besides, you look fine, dare I say even handsome.”

The day was growing later, as the ceremony drew ever closer. Oranges, blues, and purples began draping themselves across Xeltana's skies, blanketing them with the hues of the setting suns that would give way to the coming night. It was around this time of day where the business of the city began to wind down, with citizens wrapping up any dialogues or transactions before returning to their homes, eating their evening meals, then settling in for the night. During this time, when people were meandering the streets to find their ways back home, a lone figure traipsed the avenues and alleyways like they were looking for something or someone, appearing lost to outside observation, yet there was a purpose to this deception, which would be revealed at the proper time.

In the mean time, Edhen had left the crew to wait in the living area while she prepared before they were to leave for the ceremony. And it felt like, no matter the race or civilization, the females took their precious time getting ready, letting everyone's minds wander while they waited. Masaki was going through algorithms he was thinking about implementing when he got back to his hardware, Talia was thinking about what she could do to maximize the efficiency of her weapons, Dani was going through comical, fictional ways of how to take Edhen out of the picture, and Braedan, not dwelling on much other than just relaxing.

Like a refreshing springtime breeze, Edhen came around the corner. Wearing her hair down, she was donning a dress that spoke of simple elegance, looking as casual as if it were a part of her daily repertoire. An understated beauty, youthful and toned, Edhen held a natural radiance that reminded Braedan of an innocence he'd long since lost, of carefree, whimsical times he'd rarely if ever seen in his travels. Seeing her like this, he realizes he was foolish for leaving the first time, for missing out on those thousands of days that cannot be relived.

Street lights began coming on with the last bits of sunlight dropping below the horizon. Edhen led the way through the city, where they occasionally came across others, who were themselves proceeding to the Platea Laurifer. The courtyard was connected to the Chancellor's residence, and it would host the ceremony itself, while the small gardens which sat directly adjacent would allow the guests to mingle and converse afterward. Along the way there, Braedan got an innate feeling the group was being followed, like a tingle in the back of his throat; but since he didn't want to disrupt the pace and cause a stir, he kept walking, though the irking suspicion never left him.

Navigating through the city wasn't as difficult as one would think, it did take some familiarity though, as those unaccustomed to the layout of Xelanite cities would find themselves getting lost in a hurry. But from the villa, during the daytime, with the foot traffic, it would usually take between a half-hour to forty minutes to reach the Domicile of the Chancellor; yet tonight, with the streets more or less clear, minus those attending the event, it cut the time down to between twenty to thirty minutes.

When the group arrived at the external entrance to the courtyard, Edhen showed her credentials to the Cohors Pretoran, the Chancellor's elite guards, who were stationed at intervals along the Domicile's perimeter, as well as throughout the interior. Once passing through a modest entryway, awe came over Braedan and his crew at the scale, panning their heads to take it in. A colonnade of six-meter high columns around the perimeter, bordered by neatly trimmed shrubbery and flowers; not only that, there was a small, covered altar that greeted them when they were within the courtyard's interior, with two three-meter high fountains several meters away, offset from the center, about ten meters from each other. Beyond those, the podium sat near the head of the courtyard, with the arranged seating for the roughly one-hundred guests who were invited, many of whom had arrived early to find their places before the ceremony's commencement.

Talia, Dani, and Masaki were allowed to venture around the courtyard and the gardens to take in their grandeur, while Edhen escorted Braedan around personally, introducing him to the guests she recognized. She could tell as he stood there listening to the politicians, his mind was withdrawn and uneasy, like he could tell they were posturing themselves. Every now and again, Edhen would find an excuse to pull Braedan away, knowing that to him it felt like middle-aged men prattling on, she would smile and promised that it'd be over sooner than he thought.

When the two had found some time to catch their breath, a squad of eight Cohors Pretoran came upon them with none other than the Chancellor in tow. In a show of respect, the Courtesan gave a customary half bow, and although initially hesitant, the mercenary followed suit.

“Chancellor Secundus, it is an honor to see you in fine health on this lovely evening,” Edhen spoke graciously.

Secundus responded amiably, “Much appreciations, Courtesan Aemeliana,” his head then subtly veered toward Braedan, “and who might this strapping lad be...your escort?”

She smiled courteously, “No, your excellency, I'm afraid not. This person is none other than the human who saved the Academy and vanquished the enemy who attacked it,” she made it a point to take Braedan's left hand before announcing, “Chancellor Secundus, I'm pleased to introduce to you, Tyler Braedan of Earth.”

“Earth you say, is that not your people's homeworld?” the Chancellor asked astutely.

The human replied, “Yes, it is...,” ambivalence laced in his words.

“What does it feel like fighting your own people?” Secundus shot back right away, to test Braedan's reflexes.

“To be blunt,” the mercenary began, “I don't really feel anything. It's hard to feel anything for hounds who've been chasing you for months, giving you little in the way of rest.”

The Chancellor answered heartily, “Clearly you've never been married then,” getting a good chuckle out of it, Braedan not so much.

“I may have been born on Earth, your excellency, but any ties were severed when I was a child. Before encountering questionable things early in my service, I was as loyal to the Alliance as any of your finest soldiers. I've had to make a living finding work in numerous systems wherever I could, but always staying outside of arm's reach from human territory. Years away from them numbed me from feeling any remorse or empathy; and to be completely honest, I don't much f---ing care what happens to them, as long as they leave me alone,” he countered tactfully, enough to sufficiently impress Secundus.

Making note of the time, the Chancellor excused himself, “I must apologize, but I must prepare for the opening speech. Courtesan Aemeliana, caliga Braedan...it's been an honor and a privilege to have made your acquaintance,” before he and his guards proceeded out in the direction of the courtyard.

Waiting until Secundus was out of earshot, Braedan scoffed to Edhen, “He couldn't have made me feel any more inferior if he actually tried.”

Edhen said encouragingly, “He doesn't know you like your crew and I. The Chancellor has always had a big personality, which can sometimes rub visitors the wrong way, but it's that same personality that makes him the respected figure he is. Regardless of how you feel, you handled that much better than you think.”

Looking into the courtyard from where they stood, Braedan told her, “Your opinion is the only thing I'm concerned about. Besides, I don't know the first thing in the slightest about what I'll talk about. I can't very well say, “Hey, I didn't do it to save your people, I did it to avoid having the guilt hang over my head forever.” Yeah... that would go over real well.”

Using a hand focus his eyes on hers, Edhen reassured him, “I have the utmost faith that you'll find the right words. Find that confidence that you and I both know you have, and then show it to everyone out there,” leaning in to kiss his cheek.

He whispered with a grin, “What was that for?”

Smiling, she whispered, “Good luck.”

The next ten minutes passed by at a crawl. At a time when Braedan was feeling anxious and tense, during a moment when he needed to be loose and positive, his support came in the form of a beautiful, strong, intelligent, and often times, bold woman. Standing there, with her calming his nerves, Edhen proved to be the source of where he'd find his lacking fortitude.

Moments later, a pair of Cohors Pretoran found them, instructing Braedan to follow them to the podium, as the ceremony was set to begin any minute. Edhen watched for a second, before she too found her way to the courtyard to find her seat among the other guests. A minute or two later, the Chancellor stepped onto the podium, his guards stamping the butts of their hasta on the stone-tiled courtyard, indicating that everyone needed to cease any and all talking before the princeps spoke.

“Distinguished members of our grand Dominion, we are gathered here from the tragedy that befell this glorious capital, the heart of our people. Over just one month ago, in the month of Iunius, an enemy of unknown origin or motive, launched a cowardly attack to catch us off guard, bringing death and chaos to this peaceful city. Yet, as this enemy sought to escape, one strode through the flame to derail their plans. He's not like our Heroes from the most ancient past, who defiantly stood against gods to proclaim our sovereignty, no...but his singular exploits should themselves be considered the equal of those legends. To stand against the odds he faced, only a god could achieve such a task. But this person is not Xelanite, not even of our Dominion...but there he was, protecting those he did not know, defending those who could not fight back. This human's actions should be lauded, for anything less would be a disrespect to the selfless courage that was shown that day.”

Braedan had been standing next to the podium during the whole speech, motionless and silent as a statue, like he was taught during his younger years.

Retrieving the medal from a person standing on his right, the Chancellor proclaimed, “I present this man, Tyler Braedan, with the Insigne Virtus, for his heroic and valiant actions. May his name live on for a thousand years from this day, in the hearts and minds of all those he helped to save.”

Upon the placing of the medal around his neck, everyone rose from their seats and applauded.

When the ceremony officially ended at the conclusion of Braedan's speech, the guests split off into different areas, some remaining in the courtyard, others would go off toward the gardens until the lateness of the evening would beckon their leave.

Afterward, Talia, Dani, and Masaki stuck close to Braedan and Edhen, as they made one final circuit through the guests, receiving congratulations and conversing for a bit, until it was agreed they'd return to the villa, as it had been a long day. Along the way, Edhen whispered in Braedan's ears that there was something she wanted to show him, but it would need to wait until tomorrow, since it was already too late.

From a rooftop within the same district as the Chancellor's residence, a set of combat-optical binoculars spied on the group from a fair distance, quietly in the shadows she watched, with a light breeze blowing her hair about every now and again.

In a distinct southern drawl, the woman stated, “Target has been acquired...request further instructions.”
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Liberalis - gentleman
    Platea Laurifer - Courtyard of the Triumphant
    Cohors Pretoran - Pretoran Guard, elite personal guard of the Chancellor
    Caliga - greeting similar to mister, or sir
    Hastas (pl. hasta) - electro-staff type weapon, used mainly by garrisons within cities or outposts, for the accurate, overwhelming fire-superiority they can provide; bordering on antiquated, they are steadily being upgraded with newer versions
    Iunius - Equivalent to June on the human calendar

Default Titanium Core - Chapter 4 (Part 5) - Updated 11 Aug 2014

Chapter 4 - Part 5
    The morning was quiet as light streamed in through the windows, with lukewarm air floating through the villa, a type of serenity one wouldn't find aboard a ship, floating amidst the desolate silence in space. Life has a way of setting memorably profound moments in the simplest of settings, for they are ingrained into the very being of one's soul; and in the times of desperation, are what someone will cling to the hardest, and what they will fight harder to protect.

Everything was still, everything was peaceful, as Braedan lay next to what he thought was the loveliest creature this life could have bestowed upon him. Watching as she slept blissfully, ignorant of the worry that clouded his thoughts, all Braedan wished for was to repeat this idyllic morning, never wanting her absent from his side again. Seeing an exposed spot on Edhen's back as she lay on her side, he grazed his fingers along the skin, admiring its unblemished perfection. Laying up on his side, Braedan moved the closest he could without nudging her, a sweet botanical scent still infused in the hair and the trace smell of citrus blossom in her skin from the night before, Edhen was the personification of majestic. Resting his hand on her hip over the sheets, he leaned in and kissed the back of her shoulder, and like clockwork, a faint smile appeared on her lips, as if her body was attuned to his slightest touch.

Rolling over, with that same faint smile, she asked, “You couldn't sleep?”

“I got to thinking, it's been a about a week and I still haven't said anything of my previous life. The ceremony last night was another reminder that I needed to tell you before I left again,” he said sincerely.

Rolling on her side to face him directly, “Whenever you want, I'll listen, but you don't have to do it now.”

“If I don't tell you now, it'll eat away at me,” he replied while sitting up in the bed.

Edhen sat up with him, bringing her knees to her chest and wrapping her arms around her legs, answering with, “Okay...tell me.”

“A little over a year before we met, I was part of a colonial garrison on the world of Qal'tar. There had been small amounts of rebel activity across the planet, prompting garrison commanders to hand orders to local troops to conduct sector sweeps. As often as we ran these sweeps, insurrectionist forces grew, and in time, rebels openly defied the planetary government. The sector I was in had been quiet, until we conducted a sweep into a random village one day, where we were caught in a firefight. Didn't last long, killed the majority of rebels and took captive those who'd surrendered,“ she could see Braedan was disturbed the longer he went on, “But this is where things went wrong. My unit's commander, a man named Anders, ordered the captives killed, with the town gathered to witness. During the display, all the exits had been barricaded, trapping the townspeople in the square. Soldiers had been stationed on nearby rooftops, and those in the square fell back to the perimeter. This is when Anders ordered us to open fire, to massacre the town for aiding the rebels.”

Edhen covered her mouth in horror.

Braedan continued, “The reason why word of this never got out, was because the town was razed and all evidence destroyed, so no one could be implicated, and those who disagreed...were told to keep quiet for their own safety,” holding his head in shame.

Fear, anger, and doubt hung over him, like dust that refused to settle, seething at being unable to refuse at the time, instead, following orders like the good soldier he'd been instructed to be.

This was when he slipped into psychosis, where one second he was in the bedroom, the next, he was back in that village, firing into the crowd. Braedan could see the people scattering as the first shots were heard, running anywhere they could to hide, problem was – there was nowhere they could hide. The screams echoed as people pleaded for their lives, but they were drowned out by rifle fire as, one by one, they fell to the ground. Soon, there but was nothing, an unnerving silence as the last survivors were executed. Bodies were gathered, stacked neatly like firewood in each of the town's buildings, and burned likewise as they were razed, to erase any and all evidence. As the unit was pulling out of the town, he feels a hand sitting on his shoulder, and when turning his head, there was Edhen to help him escape the nightmare.

From where she sat, all Braedan was doing was staring blankly at the wall, his eyes frozen in a state Edhen had never seen. Moments later, he hung his head once more, overcome, this time by guilt.

He mumbled, “I'm no hero...not with what I've done.”

Scooting over, Edhen kissed his shoulder before resting her head, whispering lovingly, “No one is asking for you to be a hero, all they want is for you to be the leader they know you can be.”

“What if I can't be that person again?” Braedan speculated.

“When I saw you walking toward the smoke that day, I saw someone confronting their past, entering a crucible of fire willingly, knowledgeable that it might change them forever. The person who emerged...remains unsure of the scope of what he's done, and before he can see the future realized, he must first shed the demons from his past,” she spoke with inspiration.

“But...,” he started up before Edhen interrupted.

“Those three people out there, as different as they are from each other, all have one thing in common – you. You brought them together, you galvanized them into being better than what they would've been alone, and you have given them an example to live by...to be the leaders they didn't know they were. It's you – and only you – who they'll follow, but you must become the man you were, only stronger.”

Braedan answered, “If there's one conclusion I've found...it's that you're the source of strength I've been missing. As a soldier, there's only so much you can endure or withstand without some type of hope, to keep pushing when you might've quit. To me, you're the hope that'll keep me driving forward.”

Sitting up, Edhen leaned in and kissed his cheek, smiling, “Not quite the betrothal I imagined as a girl, nor from the tall, dark, and handsome type I pictured in my dreams...”

Braedan rolled his eyes in response.

Like a tease, she giggled then grinned, “But had it come from someone like you, who was sincere and thoughtful, there isn't a way I could have denied the request.”

Through the calming effect of her influence and letting things run their course, Braedan felt relaxed enough to get some sleep. And against her inward desire to stay and share a long morning in bed, Edhen knew she needed to spend a few hours at work before she could call it a day, and the earlier she went in, the sooner she could get back to show Braedan the gift she'd told him about. Getting out of bed, she threw on a dress, put on a light touch of makeup, and was ready to go inside inside of twenty minutes.

From his place on the bed, he commented, “There's never anything you don't look good in.”

Edhen responded appreciatively, “You can thank my mother, all the best parts come from her.”

Before stepping out, she walked over to the bed, giving Braedan a soft kiss before letting him rest.

Outside, the weather was pleasant, the temperature was warm but below average for that time of year, with the twin suns providing ample sunshine to bathe the streets and avenues of the city with a warm glow, as scattered clouds drifted slowly across the skies. Unbeknownst to Edhen, eyes of a devious sort were tracking her, shadowing every movement through the crowds of pedestrians, watching from a stone's throw away to avoid the chances of being detected. She would be monitored, from the time she entered her office, and while it was impossible to trace Edhen once inside, eyes were kept on the building until she reappeared a few hours later. It'd been instructed not to harm or interfere with her in any way; but in due time, a warning would be sent, only in a forum where it wouldn't be deemed a threat and to those who would take it seriously.

When returning to the villa around midday, Edhen found Dani lazing about the place, secretly giving her the stink eye as she walked through the living area as she looked around for Braedan. She would find him in his usual attire, looking over the algorithms Masaki had cooked up in the wee hours of the morning, and having gotten the gist of their concept, was going over how to implement them with he and Talia.

Knocking on the entryway to get their attention, Edhen kindly asked, “Braedan, mind if I steal you away for a couple minutes?”

“Sure,” he replied, telling Talia to keep going through the algorithms until he got back.

She was silent the whole time as they went out toward the courtyard, giving away no hints of what she was planning. Reaching the center-most point in the garden, as brightly lit from the sunlight streaming inside as it was warm and inviting. It was at the this time that Edhen, her skin washed in an angelic glow, stood in front of him with arms behind her back, which reminded him of the first time she asked to spent time with him when she was a girl.

Out of the blue, she asked, “What does the courtship ritual among humans usually entail?”

A bit uneasy at the straightforwardness of the question, Braedan scratched the back on the neck when he replied, “Uhh...you mean dating, right? Well, uhh...it usually involves dates of course, spending time with someone, showing...umm...you generally care for them. Sorry if I can't give a more sophisticated answer, they didn't give us much time for anything but training when I was growing up. The impression I got, from hearing about it, was that it involved seeing a person a lot and spending money on them in the hopes that they'd eventually have sex with you.”

“Hmm...that sounds tedious,” Edhen stated.

Braedan snickered, “Tell me about it...,” getting a smile from her for his efforts.

“You'll be pleased to know, that among my people, the process isn't as trivial. All that is essentially required is having a suitor ask for a female's hand, and should she accept, the suitor is asked to pay a small sum put forth by the betrothed’s parents. Should the suitor have such a sum, and pay it, then nothing stands between he and the female from joining hands,” she elaborated.

“Oh yea... sure, that doesn't sound at all complicated,” he remarked sarcastically.

Edhen excused the comment, saying, “If you'd like to know, I contacted my father while I was away this morning. After asking a veritable litany of questions, ranging from your character, profession, homeworld and the like, he reluctantly agreed only when he heard you were the person awarded the Insigne Virtus. All that was asked for, in exchange for my hand, was fifteen-thousand credits.”

She could nearly see Braedan's heart sink, “Just because I won an award doesn't mean I'm made of money.”

“Is that the case? I guess that means I'm free to find the tall, dark, and handsome type...,” Edhen spoke with a tantalizing charm.

Braedan grinned, “You always were, what do you call it – adorable – when you wanted to get you way, or were at least trying to.”

She nodded, “Mm hmm,” flashing her girlish eyes, biting her lower lip while playing innocent.

“The same person who was a tease, played hard to get while at arm's length, but up close, could barely mutter more than a syllable at any given moment. That is, until you kissed me the first time, by accident if I remember, and liked it more than you thought. Couldn't stop you, from kissing or talking after that...that is, until I said I was leaving. But that decision, allowed us to grow...mature...find our way, more so apart than we would have together, letting life help us find each other again, as if it were destiny,” he told her touchingly.

The gaze she gave him said she couldn't have agreed more.

He said nonchalantly, “It just happens that I have a bit extra lying around. Which means, I'll transfer the funds to you, and you transfer those to your father. And since I'm feeling generous, I might throw in an added bonus, simply because you're beaming right now and it's hard to resist.”

In all the excitement, Edhen had nearly forgotten about what she'd meant to give Braedan. Extending her hand, what she held inside looked like, at first glance, to be little more than an earpiece, that was until she told him to put it on.

Slipping it behind his right ear, he inquired, “Mind if I ask what it is?”

“You'll see,” she said, “Just slide your finger across the bottom half of the device.”

Doing as he was told, Braedan slid a finger across the device. Before his eyes, a helmet began materializing, and within barely a second and a half, it had fully enclosed his head. In front of his eyes on the visor, there were displays for pulse, heart rate, blood pressure, readings for temperature, humidity, wind, structural layouts, weapons schematics...a whole repository of information and applications he'd need in the field. Braedan panned his head, turning in every direction to get used to the feel of the helmet, and its features.

Bringing his view back to Edhen, he asked, “What is this?” his voice coming through a digital modulator, making it undetectable to scanners.

“This is an experimental combat helmet, something the scientists at the Academy were working on during the time of the raid. While you were recovering in the diacona, I went back there to ask a favor from them. With a bit of convincing, they turned over the device. When I turned it over to your small, dark haired male friend...”

“Masaki?”

“Yes...I gave it to him to upload all he could on human languages, measurements, everything that you would need,” she concluded.

Braedan replied, “I have just two questions. One, how did you convince the scientists?”

“I told them, if they gave it to me, I would give it to the person who stopped the raid, and that he, in turn, would use it to punish those responsible for this crime,” Edhen implicitly stated.

Even though she couldn't see his smirk, he responded, “A vindictive woman can be a terrifying thing,”

Grinning, she asked, “And what was your second question?”

Braedan asked comically, “How do you get this off?”

Edhen used this as an excuse to get close to him. Tapping the same spot behind his ear, the helmet materialized back into the earpiece. Taking him by surprise, she planted a full, luscious kiss on Braedan, giving him an alluring stare with her deep, enchanting eyes.

Leaving him with something to dwell on, Edhen says seductively, “Keep this up, and who knows what I'll do with you,” biting her lower lip before going back toward the interior of the villa.

This one phrase would peak his interest well into the evening. It could wait, however, as Braedan still needed to get back with Talia and Masaki to study the algorithms that they'd been going over, prior to the Courtesan's affable interruption.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diacona - hospital, infirmary

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Titanium Core - Chapter 4 (Part 5) - Updated 11 Aug 2014

Another update!

Hmm...didn't even place in the latest MCWC. It kind of stings like a kick to the n***.

Not saying I won't try submitting again, just unsure as to when.

Thinking about putting the story on hold. Don't know what it is, but I haven't felt any incentive to keep it going, even with the chapter one (planned) update from conclusion.

Default Titanium Core - Chapter 4 (Part 6) - ON HOLD

Don't know what it is, I can't find any inspiration to write.

I'm placing the story ON HOLD until there's a reason to keep it going.

Default Titanium Core - Chapter 4 (Part 6) - Updated 5 Nov 2014

Chapter 4 - Part 6
    For the next two months, ambassadors, ministers, and delegates from the Alliance and Dominion went back and forth, negotiating tirelessly to avert the war that many were seeing as a foregone conclusion. Debates went back and forth, each tossing blame at the other for antagonizing them into action, they would then reciprocate by childishly throwing around allegations that bordered on the absurd. These insults were tantamount to little more than bickering, as little was being accomplished to resolve the tensions between them. When the thought of bringing in an impartial party was introduced to oversee the negotiations, Alliance representatives saw it as an admittance on the Dominion's behalf that they had something to hide, leaving Alliance officials with the belief they were justified in attacking the Dominion's interests. Indeed, the Xelanites did have something to hide, yet what it was and where it was hidden would be a mystery, for the human delegation appeared in the dark in that respect, leaving the Dominion an ace card in their deck.

It was pointless in the end, for the Alliance's stubbornness to positively confirm or deny that they had knowledge of the operation on Xeltana, and the Dominion's pride to let it pass as a direct insult and violation to their sovereignty, had doomed any hopes of resolving hostilities before they festered into all-out war. When neither side could reach a compromise, the animosities between them resulted in a stalemate, and with it, the only thing keeping the sides from violence was a declaration of war. Question was: Who would do it first?

Lightyears away, back on the Xelanite homeworld, news had spread from government channels, down through the military, that discussions with the Alliance had broken down, and full mobilization was to commence with all haste. In the midst of this hurried activity, Braedan wasn't blind to what this meant, he knew what this would boil down to, because he knew better than most. This is exactly why he asked his crew to gather up what equipment was still in the villa, get it loaded onto dollies, and stowed on the ship before activity got too hectic around the spaceport.

Edhen, in silence, watched as the last of the crew's items were gathered and loaded up to get them to the ship. Looking on, she was somberly reminded of how Braedan had left her the last time, fighting a fight on some distant, unknown world; yet she knew now, events had come together in such a way that had given him a purpose, something more than the driving force of money. Family. A steely determination was present in his eyes as he directed his crew, to protect them from the dangers of what this war would bring, as best he could.

The night before, Edhen had advocated to her now-husband to stay an additional day, in order to share the last moments of peace together; and as much as he desired to, Braedan argued against it, not wanting to be caught on the ground should hostilities break out. But while upset with the decision, she knew there was little that could be done to persuade him otherwise, knowing little of what the rigors of battle required.

Never would Edhen fully understand what compelled him to do what he does, or why, or the visceral reality of it. What she does understand, by reading the features on his face, the tension in the muscles, is that this is something Braedan believes, in his heart, has to be done.

Before noon, the time came to escort the dollies, laden with the crew's equipment, set out for the spaceport. Along the way, there was something akin to a anxious calm permeating the city's streets, because citizens had seen the increased military activity and weren't above speaking openly about what was going on. The further they progressed to the spaceport, the clearer the worry became, for despite the Dominion bolstering one of the single largest military forces in the galaxy, there was always that concern of someone being bold or cunning enough to advance deep into Xelanite space.

Many, with the means to do so, hearing of the rumor of war, had gathered their belongings and vacated Xeltana towards the central rim of the Dominion, believing whatever threat was coming wouldn't reach them. The reality for the majority of citizens was, if war did break out, they'd stay where they were, and wouldn't be evacuated unless there was a significant chance of a world falling. This might seem like a risky procedure to those unfamiliar with the Xelanites, but for them during times of conflict, the military is given priority over everything, as most ships capable of fighting, other than transports and cargo ships, are pressed into service to swell their fleet size roughly fifty-percent. Any civilian traffic that needed to be moved, whether it be people or goods, were given escort to their destinations, and were mostly available unless the fleet was massing for an offensive or counterattack.

When they reached the spaceport, there were people scattered about as they were getting ready to depart, but considering what's been going on and the talk going around, the crowds were much thinner than the group had expected. It didn't take long to make their way through, only a few minutes or so, to get to the bay where the Centurion was docked, yet while the others were oblivious, there was something that didn't sit right with Braedan. Shaking it off, he chalked it up as paranoia or jitters, as his wife and crew were passing through the bay's entryway.

Seeing the look of worry on his face, Edhen asked, “What's wrong?”

Stopping her several meters from the ship, Braedan replied, “Couldn't tell you exactly, maybe it's the anxiety of leaving, or maybe it's worrying over nothing, but something feels off.”

Displaying a comforting grin, she said, “Then it's a good thing you're here.”

While the ship was being loaded and prepped, and with Edhen saying the last of her good byes before its departure, an unknown figure decloaked several feet away from the pair, catching them unawares.

“Well well well,” a female voice spoke, shattering the peaceful calm, “the rugged hero goes off and marries the beautiful alien princess. How cliché is that?”

Quickly sliding Edhen behind him, Braedan engaged his mask before responding,”There's one thing wrong with that statement, doll.”

The female asked humorously, “And that would be what exactly?”

“It's Courtesan actually,” he quipped, “although she does have her princess moments.”

Not taking kindly to the remark, Edhen pinched the back of her husband's arm, using his body to obstruct the woman's sight as she pressed down on a stone, located on the ring she was wearing on her left hand. This ring, given to all Courtesans upon their initiation, had a silent beacon and locator inlaid beneath the stone, and when activated, would alert security personnel to wherever they might be.

“Then it seems a whore's a whore, no matter the culture,” the woman said in a belittling tone.

Shaking his head, Braedan answered, “Damn you Alliance people don't know your place, do ya?”

It was around this time that Talia, not knowing they had an unwanted guest, came walking down the cargo ramp. She was looking over the manifest to check everything was accounted for, before raising her head to see what was going on. Genuinely surprised, she drew her pistol, but Braedan, sensing her distress, signaled for her to stand down.

“Lookin' like it's a good ol' fashioned reunion, isn't it?” the woman smirked, “seeing how you took four of 'em from us. How's Newton by the way, I heard he didn't quite make it.”

Maintaining his cool, Braedan said, “Keep prodding b----, and I'll do to you what I did to your people here. If you wanna test that, try me.”

Nodding her head slowly, “Mighty bold talk from just one man. If I were you, I'd change that tune when the Alliance drops everyone on your head. Just sayin'...”

The laugh he gave through the voice modifier bordered on haunting, “An empty threat filled with empty words.”

“Your dossier was right about how narrow-minded you can be,” she snickered, looking over Braedan's shoulder, “yet it's not me you should be worried about, it's that pretty lil thing behind ya...the things men could do to that.”

Swiftly drawing his sidearm, he aimed at the woman's head, “How 'bout I send you back home to the puppeteer in a box – that sound any better to you?”

The woman grinned slyly, “Touchy touchy, aren't we? All over an alien whore no less. Why don't ya come back to your own people, pretty sure ya can find better.”

Firing a shot over the woman's shoulder, it narrowly missed her ear, “Insults like that only get you further down my s---list, you little b----, so keep talkin'.”

“You are just too cute. I ain't here to pick a fight darlin', I'm here as a courtesy, nothing more. But as a I said before, it's not me you should worry over, more like one of your crew,” she replied.

Before too long, the sound of guards attempting to get the hangar door open was heard in the background, as the woman had wired it shut, using it as a precautionary measure just in case of a situation like this.

“I'd love to stay and chat, but it would seem that's my cue to exit,” the woman smirked, “you think about what I told ya, and we'll see just how smart you are the next time we meet.”

A second later the woman vanished, disappearing into the depths of the hangar as the guards forcibly made their way inside, only to find the intruder was gone. Disengaging his mask and holstering the pistol, Braedan turned around to find a burning scorn in Edhen's eyes, a side of her he'd never seen before.

Taking him by the hand, Edhen opened it with the palm facing up, and traced a symbol into it.

“This,” she said, “is the Sign of Vengeance. Let whoever crosses its path, or the one who bears it, perish in the fire of the gods, for threatening the sovereignty of the Dominion.”

Edhen locked her eyes onto Braedan's, “Go forth, husband, and exact the punishment their insolence deserves.”

In response, he said fittingly, “Gladly,” before walking up the ship's ramp with Talia in tow to prep for takeoff.

Default Titanium Core - Chapter 5: Prelude - Updated 5 Nov 2014

Chapter 5 - Prelude
    Less than a week later, the Alliance parliament took it upon themselves to take the first steps towards war. Predicated on the belief that the Xelanites orchestrated the raid on Balian to obtain an ancient artifact, and that it was a harbinger for further attacks, they painted the Dominion in the colors of a predator, who sought further prey to satiate its hunger. Furthermore, the raid on Xeltana was portrayed as a bold, heroic act of reprise against what was labeled a 'decadent, imperialistic' enemy, where the soldiers who died had fought courageously to the last when the operation went bad. Propagandists within the Alliance used this spin to increase the recruitment drives happening across UEA space, relating it to the Biblical fight of David against Goliath, how they would use their cunning just as the Israelite used his sling to slay the mountainous Philistine warrior. In this effect, the propaganda did its work, as recruitment was up, on both Earth and the colonies.

But despite the millions that swelled into Alliance service, they saw themselves drastically outnumbered, because the Dominion was so vast in scope and scale, the UEA could recruit for ten years straight and the playing field still wouldn't be even. This was when they turned to anyone who had past grudges or misgivings with the Dominion, letting the war act as a means to recapture lost territories and settle old scores, and should the Alliance win, it would be fair game on all Xelanite worlds that were holding out. They extended offers of alliance to the K'tore Federation, Andelien Consortium, the Bastion of Brintak, Frintinium Confederation, and the most dangerous among them, the Xeltoran Empire.

If the name appears similar to the Xelanites, it would be because, millennia before the present day, they once shared the same homeworld. Before they had an empire holding sway over nearly one-quarter of known space, the Xelanites and Xeltorans fought for who would dominate Xeltana, with the conflict stretching hundreds of years until finally, some four-thousand years before the present, the last Xeltorans were driven from the homeworld. Set adrift in space for decades, the Xeltorans found a suitable new world to call their own, and within a couple decades after planetary conquest, set about conquering an empire of their own. At the same time their former kin were absorbing systems more or less peacefully; the Xeltorans took a more belligerent approach, consuming worlds with fire and order.

However, since neither shared galactic borders with the other, the Xelanites and Xeltorans kept to their respective spheres of influence, although it didn't stop them from sending agents to disrupt the other side's plans. But the Xeltoran Empire, for all its prowess at conquest, were but one-quarter the size of the Xelanite Dominion, longing for the day and chance to call the homeworld theirs once more.

With this motivation in mind, of taking back the world the Xelanites had exiled them from, the Xeltorans joined with the UEA. Along with everyone other than the Bastion of Brintak, who may have had qualms with the Dominion earlier in its history, they chose to remain neutral and questioned the Alliance's true motives for war.

Having assembled their alliance, the human-led coalition saw themselves on nearly equal footing with the Dominion, who, if unable to muster its forces quickly, would be stretched to combat these forces simultaneously. What the CORE, or Coalition of Redemption, were counting on were major powers not coming to the Dominion's aid, and its vassals being hesitant of supporting them; perhaps even turning on their 'masters' in the prospect of gaining their freedom, throwing in their lot with the CORE to further weaken the Dominion from within.

Albeit a sound strategy on their part, the CORE hadn't taken into account that while yes, the Dominion was an empire for lack of a better term, it garnered this empire based more on peaceful assimilation rather than purely on conquest and brute force. Its 'vassals' were the equivalent of member systems, who stayed under the Xelanite's governance not only for themselves, but for the mutual protection of all participant members. In this respect, when a vote was taken from those same members of who would support war should it come, an overwhelming ninety-six percent pledged their forces to the Dominion.

In spite of this, its vassal members wouldn't be enough when facing threats on multiple fronts, the Dominion would need stronger allies to stand against this rising opposition. Since many of the galaxy's lesser powers had sided with the UEA, that merely left the likes of the Sinlaran Republic, Treufel Union, and the Conrome Alliance, any of whom could tip the balance in the Dominion's favor. Each of them, at one point or another, had been a peaceful rival toward the Xelanites, and while they had never come to blows in their long history, they were somehow reluctant to side with the Dominion. Maybe they wanted to stay neutral, waiting for the conclusion of the war's first act before declaring their allegiances; but without additional aid, the Dominion would need every advantage they had in the war's opening stages.

When it looked like all options had been exhausted, and negotiations had run their course, the Conrome Alliance pledged nominal support for the Xelanite cause, but would need time before throwing their full weight into the fight. This news, in and of itself, was welcome to the Dominion, for even with a minimal force, they believed Conrome would be an immense help in alleviating pressure across sections of the front.

These events took place within two weeks, as each side rushed to get their forces into position for the conflict to come. And as fate would have it, the UEA and its allies struck the first blow, as they formally declared war on the Xelanite Dominion and its supporters on November 28th, 2553 C.E., citing 'irreconcilable transgressions against the citizenry of the Alliance' as the main reason for the declaration. Neither side would need to wait long for the action to begin.

Default Titanium Core - Chapter 5: War Begins - Updated 5 Nov 2014

Chapter 5 - War Begins
    The war, that would later be known as the Ascendency War among humans, and the Usurper War among the Xelanites, would see the first fighting begin in the skies above Transgallia, a world located along the outer rim of Dominion space. The outcome of the battle was inconsequential,as the Dominion won a sound tactical victory, the very fact that it had to fight defensively so early was a foreshadow of what was to come in the opening stages of the conflict. Time and time again, through the war's first four months, the CORE launched assaults across Dominion space, finding headway in some areas while in others, being thoroughly repulsed. They were proving themselves resilient in keeping the pressure on, though it was doubtful they'd win a war of attrition.

In the following three months, it saw renewed efforts on the CORE's part to make a decisive push into Dominion space, because they knew a significant blow had to be struck against the Xelanites, both to stun them and use that shock to gain the initiative. At the height of their invasion, the CORE amassed a fleet, comprised of about three-quarters of its total size, and struck out toward the military capital of the Dominion's central rim, Quinral. Believing that the Xelanites wouldn't have forces capable of withstanding the bulk of their fleet, it was accepted that the risk was worth the reward, for if Quinral fell, a large section of the central rim would be weakened, giving the CORE time to exploit it. Or so they were led to believe. Through their agents, the Dominion purposefully misled CORE sources, letting them think Quinral had meager defenses in place to stop them, letting it act as bait to lure their forces in.

When the CORE fleet arrived, they had three dreadnaughts, four carriers, ten battleships, twenty heavy cruisers, thirty-five light cruisers, an assortment of over two-hundred-thirty frigates and corvettes, and about ninety gunships. Facing off against them were five heavy cruisers, twenty light cruisers, and thirty-five frigates and corvettes, defensively set up into pockets, letting the CORE think they were disorganized and panicky. This strategy would force the CORE to divide their forces, instead of fighting concentrated, and would give the Xelanites some room to maneuver their generally faster ships, putting up a harder fight than a force their size normally would.

For the better part of the battle's first hour, the Dominion staunchly contested the CORE's lighter vessels, with the hulks of destroyed ships paying testimony to their resolve against a numerically-superior enemy. Seeing that their lighter ships were being decimated, the CORE pushed many of their heavier ships forward, as it was thought their firepower would sweep Quinral's orbit clean of remaining opposition. What they didn't know at the time, was that this was all part of a carefully laid out trap, because CORE fleets wouldn't risk their heaviest capital ships unless there was no alternative, and once they sent their middle-tier ships forward, this was when they were vulnerable.

As soon as the captain of the Xelanite fleet saw this, he sent out the signal with the coordinates of the enemy ships.

From four different directions, fleets of seventy-five ships apiece, hyperjumped into the battle. This unexpected maneuver stunned the CORE fleet, desperately trying to respond, but there was little that could be done to counter the trap once it was sprung. Roughly one-hundred-fifty ships descended upon the dreadnoughts and carriers, swarming them like angry insects, while the other one-hundred-fifty or so ships converged on the fight closer to Quinral, making quick work of the CORE's depleted forces.

These ships joined together and moved toward the fight with the CORE capital ships, who were still putting up a dogged defense like a wounded beast. By the time the Dominion fleets linked up, only two dreadnoughts remained, trying to limp away from the battle because their hyperdrives were damaged. But after ceaseless harassment, these ships too succumb to their wounds, with their cores catastrophically failing, creating what could only be described as a spectacular explosion.

The complete and total defeat at Quinral would leave the CORE permanently on the defensive, as only fifteen-percent of their fleet survived the battle, and when combined with what was left, they only had forty-percent of their former capabilities. This meant that the Dominion and its allies could operate when, and where, they chose with greater numbers as it took back what had been lost. In the next two months, the Dominion engaged and destroyed the remaining CORE ships inside of Xelanite space, watching as the broken, humiliated enemy fell back in retreat.

The first act of the war was over. The Dominion now stood poised to punish the CORE with insurmountable numbers, in space and on land, by doing to the CORE what had been done to them. And with the fleets and armies assembling, all that was left to be answered was: When would the invasion begin?

Default Titanium Core - Chapter 5: Retaliation - Updated 20 Nov 2014

Chapter 5 - Retaliation
    In the following months, the Xelanite-Conrome alliance had begun their invasion of the CORE's home territories. They targeted the Frintinium Confederation and K'tore Federation first, since of the ships which had been destroyed at Quinral, nearly one-third had borne their markings. These initial incursions were met with sporadic, ineffective resistance, since their fleets and armies had been depleted as the CORE military hastily requisitioned forces for the war effort. What effective resistance there was, proved stubborn yet ultimately futile, for whatever casualties they were able to inflict, Conrome and the Xelanites were able to replenish in hours. This made Frintinium and K'tore timid to throw their people into full-scale battle, because they knew the stakes, and each loss they suffered increased the imperative, of when their war was over, to save face with the victors.

Although what these governments wanted didn't always translate to the military, who wanted to continue guerrilla-style actions against the occupiers until they'd been pushed off their worlds. But with each passing day, the infeasibility of the military's plans were becoming apparent, because they were sustaining losses across all systems aligned with the CORE, leaving the chances of fighting a successful shadow war growing slimmer by the second. What resistance they could put up, they did; and when they saw the fight couldn't be won, which was most often the case, they didn't want to hasten their own downfalls by fighting any longer than necessary, laying down their arms when things became pointless.

Within two months, the K'tore formally surrendered and one month later, Frintinium followed suit. One would think, that with the CORE at half their original strength, it would make the UEA and Xelatoran Empire negotiable; however, each olive branch the Xelanites extended or embassy they sent to talk peace, they were flatly rejected. This spoke one of two things, of either supreme confidence, or complete foolishness.

Having subdued the lesser powers of the CORE, the Xelanites and Conrome began devising a plan of how to proceed with the next stage of their counterattack. For the Dominion, it was about either settling an ages-old score with the Xeltorans, or punishing the upstart Alliance, who'd sought out and provoked this war from the beginning. As for Conrome, they wanted a strategy that would disable the enemy's ability to produce war materiel, to bring a swift end to the fighting, while leaving large tracts of infrastructure intact and sacrificing as few lives as possible to aid post-war recovery. In the end, they agreed to go with the latter plan, but when and where they could, the Dominion would enforce their will on the CORE's worlds, as a way of reprimanding the defeated.

When the alliance crossed into the inner reaches of CORE, they were met with sporadic resistance, similar to what was faced against K'tore and Frintinium. This initially left them believing that the forces engaged during the war's earlier stages, had made up the bulk of the CORE's military, lulling them into a false sense of confidence and that the enemy was now reeling. When scattered reports first began to trickle in of new weapons being employed, they were treated as such, scattered and unreliable. Yet when the trickle began increasing, frequent reports of CORE's forces using advanced weaponry became troubling, which were finding their ways into enemy hands with a steady rate.

Battles, which in the months previous would have been near pushovers, were turning into full-on engagements, despite the disparity in the opposing armies. The CORE began holding their own, making the Dominion and Conrome pay a toll for trespassing into their territory, forcing them to slog for each yard of ground they gained. In these fights, the only thing the CORE was lacking was this new technology in large enough quantities, since their forces were mostly fighting with tech they'd started the war with. These new weapons, while relatively small in number and not enough to swing the war back in the CORE's favor, their effect was enough to temporarily halt the Dominion's advance.

After limiting operations for the next week, the Dominion and Conrome analyzed data and adopted a strategy to counter and overcome the new threat the CORE had become. It was deemed, after some deliberation, that to swing the balance of battle clearly in their favor, they had to go after industrial centers that specialized in weapons production. They knew, if left unchecked with the continual production of these weapons, it would give the CORE an advantage they couldn't afford to have; so it was seen as vital to severely limit or eliminate production altogether, before they could redirect the course of the war.

Based on their location and astrogation chart, they plotted the nearest UEA planet to be somewhere in the Aegis system. It was widely expected that the planet, Tartan Minor, would have a significant defense, consisting of ground and space forces, who'd not only be protecting the planet's production and manufacturing centers, but its training academy as well. In this respect, they didn't want to send any of their own operatives, due to the importance of the intelligence which needed to be gathered, and opted instead to use an outside source to gather the intel they needed. This meant the use of mercenaries.

It was at this time they contacted Tyler Braedan, a mercenary who had conducted several operations for the Dominion since the start of the war, and possessed first-hand knowledge of Tartan Minor, as it had been his home at one time.

The message was passed along at a trying time. Not long before, he'd conducted a raid on an UEA prison camp, whereby he found a lost crew member, Zachery Newton, who'd been thought lost well over a year before. When the op turned into a calamity, Braedan had to help a weakened Newton through the camp back to his ship, fighting off enemies with only a pistol through the commotion. Their progress was slowed as CORE guards conveniently impeded the way at every turn, but fortunately for the friends, as they drew closer to their destination. A lapse in focus by Braedan, while helping Newton up after he'd fallen, allowed a guard to get in behind them and fire off a few shots before the mercenary wheeled around and killed him. Sadly, one round found its mark.

With no more guards to contend with, Braedan struggled to carry his grievously-wounded friend the rest of the way, regretting he hadn't brought any medpacs with him. But in the home stretch, with the ship's cargo ramp in sight, having been too weak from the start and unable to cope with the wound he suffered, Newton's body finally gave out. The mercenary tried desperately tried getting him up the ramp, but it wasn't meant to be.

For the next several hours, Braedan was near inconsolable, repeatedly blaming himself for not being there sooner. It was near the end of this time he checked his Holo address, finding an encrypted message from Dominion command, asking him to report to the fleet assembling just outside the Aegis system.

Once his ship, the Centurion, reported in with the fleet, Braedan walked into a briefing being conducted amongst high-ranking Xelanite and Conrome officers, who were going over the details of the operation. When it concluded, Braedan was pulled aside and given the parameters of his mission, outlining the objectives and so on and so forth.

After all was said and done, the only words spoken by the mercenary were, “Where do I begin?”

Default Re: Titanium Core - Chapter 5: Torment - Updated 22 Dec 2014

Chapter 5 - Torment
    Soaring through the atmosphere of Tartan Minor, the Centurion streaked through the skies glowing a dark orange, trailing first blackish then greyish smoke behind it. The ship was buffeted around by light turbulence as it descended, jostling the crew and its cargo about with each pocket they hit. Dani glided it through the clouds like a leaf on the wind, and as they made it past the final layers, there, sprawled out before them, lay Tartan City, the site of their objective.

Having little in the way of trouble getting past Alliance control, they were given permission to land, under the guise of delivering weapons and munitions. Braedan and Talia would infiltrate their way through the city, sidestepping any heavy security/defenses the Alliance had in place, scout the vicinity around the suspected target, acquire distance and adequate line of sight to lase the target, and watch the show as the Dominion obliterates it from orbit. Simple in theory, not so much in practice.

The Centurion was given clearance to land on a platform. Standing in the cargo bay, the veteran and protege felt the ship's landing skids hit with a thud, hearing the sound of the pneumatic struts hissing as they slowly vented pressure, then the cargo ramp descended before them as everything settled down around them. Walking down, their feet sloshed in small puddles, pooled in indentations in the platform itself, feeling light spritzes of rain on their faces as they moved from the cover of the ship. Braedan then stopped, looking into the distance at the sight of the city before them, watching how the rain created an unnatural haze around the lights and signs. There were familiar sights, and new ones, dotting the cityscape of the place he'd once called home. However, 'home' is the last thing he'd call it.

Talia's voice faintly woke him from the reminiscing, “How long's it been, since you were last here I mean?”

“You're around 21...22?” Braedan asked, she nodded in reply, “About four years younger than you are now. It's something I don't dwell on.”

“Guess that makes you an old man,” Talia joked.

Braedan shot her a look that quickly tempered the mood.

Not amused, he coldly walked towards the steps to exit the platform with Talia following suit, feeling somewhat dejected, knowing that she'd touched on a sensitive subject. As they drew closer to the streets of the city, the mercenaries activated the Identity Concealer System (ICS), which acts as a way of masking their biofeedback from scanners, changes the pitch of the wearer's voice, and masks their face should cameras catch it in full view. In essence, the only way to get an accurate ID would be to see that person with one's own eyes. And since its technically illegal in the UEA, being that its only ever used by criminals, they'd be imprisoned for having it in their possession; though prison would be the least of their concerns should they get caught, seeing that Braedan is among the most wanted people in Alliance space.

Walking through the streets, near the onset of late afternoon, there was a moderate amount of foot traffic of people going about their daily existences. It was off-putting, from what Braedan observed as he and Talia moved along, were the generally positive expressions on people's faces, smiling and without a worrisome look to be found. Whether this was forced optimism in the case to deceive spies, or was genuine, it was unsettling, because they didn't look at all panicky like one would expect when they're on the losing side of a war. But as far as their looks were concerned, the war appeared the furthest things from their minds.

From their point in Tartan City, the mercenaries would need to travel about another mile and a half before they would reach a location suitable to observe, identify, and pinpoint its coordinates. It was during this trek across the city in which Braedan allowed Talia to take point, a 'learn by doing' method which, until this point, he hadn't necessarily trusted her with, and being that it had been so long in coming, showed she'd been wet behind the ears for too long. Braedan, during his training as a youth, had been taught to memorize these streets, day after day after day, until he'd memorized them like the back of his hand; Talia, on the other hand, had to memorize from planetary scans, a far less intricate and intimate method, and would need to learn quickly if only for the impatience of her teacher. Any time she appeared confused, Talia was left to chart to the path on her own, and should guidance be needed, Braedan would only offer vague hints, leaving it to her to figure if it was correct or not. The only way she'd become a leader was to do these things herself and trust her instincts, because when Braedan had to do this, there wasn't the luxury of someone holding his hand while he did it.

There were some delays, as were to be expected, but the two found their way to the prescribed set of coordinates. Now that they were there, the area needed to be scouted; Talia, with her naive wisdom, advocated the orbital scans were sufficient, and when he heard it, Braedan wanted to give her a proverbial smack upside the head. Having been around as long as she had, then making an error in judgment like that, made Braedan shake his head like she'd had a brain fart. The most accurate intel was gathered by boots on the ground, and was far and away the most efficient method in spotting features overhead scans could or would miss. To do this, they'd go in separate directions, survey what they found, and meet up to report any discrepancies that were discovered.

For the next hour, they walked around the area surrounding the proposed factory, finding points of ingress and escape for the enemy, where the closest emergency support force was and their estimated response time, and the fastest evac route should things go to s---. Meeting up near the target building, they moved up to the roof via a fire escape, up ten to twelve stories to get a clear vantage point of the factory.

Once atop the roof, Braedan and Talia set-up the equipment. First set of readings they took were to measure the level of heat the building was putting out, as the scanners penetrated into the core of the structure, and like expected, there was a high degree of heat on their readings. Next, they would measure if there were any people occupying the building, altering the settings to detect lower heat-output and heartbeats; according to the scans, there was minimal activity inside the factory.

Braedan, asking Talia to run whatever other scans she could think of, got up under the pretense of taking a leak, but instead, used it as a pretense to get behind her. With a sudden jerk, he grabbed her by the collar of her armor, throwing her with such force that she landed on her a--, leaving Talia dazed at what could have provoked Braedan from lashing out. This reaction was evident on her face, clearly scared and taken by surprise, with the mercenary captain brooding over her like a giant. Talia hastily attempted to crawl away, but the moment she tried, Braedan delivered a swift kick to her midsection. Again and again, she tried, it only merited further retaliation, only this time in the ribs. After a couple minutes of this, Braedan rolled Talia over on her back, who tried drawing her sidearm, but was knocked away, thus leaving her prey to whatever machinations he had in store. Hauling her up, he dragged her beaten and bruised body over to the ledge of the building, holding her head over the edge to grab her attention.

“You think I wouldn't find out, you little s---...how you sold us out?” he spouted, with cars streaking across the sky several hundred feet overhead.

“Wha...,” she spoke incoherently.

“Don't play f---ing dumb,” inching her body a little further out, “you best start talking, or else you'll be flying off this roof.”

Talia mumbled, “Kidnap...,” her eyes growing wider when she realized just what was happening.

“Say what again - spill it!” he demanded, moving her further over the edge.

“My family...,” she said in a panic, “they kidnapped my family!”

Her arms desperately grasped at whatever she could, trying to find a grip on anything she could use to pull herself up. Only Braedan's firm grasp on her collar kept her from doing it. For a moment, he thought about if he could believe what she said, taking what felt like, for Talia at least, an eternity to decide to pull her up or let her drop. Finally, several seconds later, Braedan pulled her up.

Gasping for air, she explained, “After I left, they found out about me, then decided to use my family as leverage.”

“Who is this 'they' and what leverage?” Braedan sternly demanded.

“The Alliance,” Talia sobbed, “they found out I was with you, and issued an ultimatum: unless I gave them information...they'd kill my family,” sitting up and wrapping her arms around her knees.

He insisted, his mood slowly calming, “Was it before or after Balian?”

“It was after,” she confessed, “about once every seven to ten days, from before Pherros until Xeltana.”

Braedan bordered on incensed when he heard this, “That was you?!?”

“I swear to you...on my life, I didn't know they'd do what they did, “ she cried, “what choice did I have?”

Braedan walked over and sat down, coming to a realization as he whispered to her, “I know the feeling...”

“After we saw you walk into the distance alone,” Talia said, tears in her eyes, “I decided then to stop being their puppet anymore, because it would never end if I didn't.”

Knowing what that meant for her personally, Braedan wrapped an arm around her shoulders as Talia buried her face into her knees, tears streaming down like rivers. From that day until now, as long as it'd been to keep that secret locked away, each tear was an outpouring of every emotion she felt, and given no time to mourn before now, only multiplied those feelings.

“Now you know why I do what I do,” he said stoically while standing up, “to show we're not tools for them to use.”

Glancing over his shoulder at the factory, then back back down at her, Braedan extended his hand to help Talia to her feet.

“As compensation for what I did, I'll make to you a proposition,” Braedan spoke.

Wiping the tears from her eyes, she asked, “What's that?”

He smirked, slyly gesturing behind him, “Let's go wreck their toys.”

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast