Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Titanium Core - Chapter 2 - Updated 21 Feb 2014

I read it. Great work!

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Default Titanium Core - Chapter 2 - Updated 21 Feb 2014

Once again I agree with Magister. A great update. Quite a partnership between Braedan and Natalia.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Default Re: Titanium Core - Chapter 2 - Updated 21 Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    Quite a partnership between Braedan and Natalia.
    It was the intention to show the strained relationship between Braedan and Natalia, mainly because they're acclimating to each other. I wanted the scene in the landing bay to exemplify where I was going, it displayed Natalia's ongoing resistance to adjust to Braedan's personality and style of leadership, akin to what took place on Balian where he punched her to get the point across, only this time Braedan showed more restraint. He also has to adjust to the types of things Natalia can handle, whereas before, Braedan had known what Fig's strengths and weaknesses were; with her though, it's taken one step at a time, a task Braedan's not exactly keen about since it feels more like babysitting.

As time and the story progresses, I want to show their relationship grow naturally through a series of events, not a singular happening that says "Hey, we're buddies now!" and they go off to have ice cream after they're done. It'll also allow Braedan to impart some techniques unto Natalia that were previously unknown to her, and along the way, maybe she could teach him something as well.

Default Re: Titanium Core - Chapter 2 - Updated 1 Mar 2014

Chapter 2 - Part 4
    Embarrassment still quite visible on her face, Natalia mumbled, “What are we doing here?”

Strolling towards the interior, Braedan mentioned, “You know that little artifact we picked up? There’s a buyer here that said they’d be comfortable taking it off our hands, for a hefty sum that is,” as the sound of music became clearer with every step, the same could also be said about the Avrulian dancers on stage.

Hardily had the blush been flushed from Natalia’s cheeks than the two of them found the main room, filled top to bottom with bass-thumping music, aliens of every stripe drinking and getting drunk under the table at the bar, clandestine meetings, and flawless, gorgeous Avrulian dancers on stage leaving little to the imagination. Natalia could barely handle the sensory overload, but for her companion, Braedan appeared like it was just another day at the office, smiling and fist-bumping people he knew in the crowd while the pair shuffled their way over to an empty table. She couldn’t pinpoint how it felt like he was almost two separate people; so casual and laid back one moment, then disciplined and imposing the next. To Natalia, Braedan was the definition of a conundrum.

Finding an empty table, the pair took their seats, as the buyers hadn’t arrived. In the midst of their waiting, Braedan thought it best to order a couple bottles of the local Pherrosian ale, a drink that wasn’t meant for lightweights, who’d be on the floor before they finished the first bottle, but if that didn’t happen, things would get interesting. A few minutes later, a waitress dropped the bottles off at the table; Braedan gave her an appreciative wink and a smile, watching over his shoulder as she walked off. Next thing he knew, Braedan felt a light punch on his upper arm.

He turned around and asked Natalia, “What was that for?”

Disgusted by the display of chauvinism, she replied, “Show some respect!”

“I am showing some respect,” Braedan grinned, “I’m admiring what her gods gave her...and they gave her a lot.”

Sighing, Natalia rolled her eyes at the adolescent antics as she reached out for the bottle of ale.

Braedan intervened, warning her before cracking the bottle open, “Ah ah…that stuff is stronger than it looks, so if I were you, I’d take it one small sip at a time.”

“Oh how bad could it possibly be?” she asked dismissively, opening the bottle and taking a few larger than recommended sips and Braedan sat back, with a look that said, “This is gonna be fun.”

Having thrown caution to the wind, a few minutes hadn’t passed before Natalia started becoming provocatively suggestive with her speech, and not long after that, removed her snug field vest to reveal a tighter fitting tank top underneath. It didn’t show much in the way of cleavage, but did show off her best traits to be titillating enough to get Braedan’s attention. What he knew and what she didn’t, and what she’d prevented him from saying, is that Pherrosian ale affected genders differently and for those who weren’t occasional drinkers, it could profoundly lower a female’s inhibitions in a short amount of time.

Getting up from her chair, Natalia lost all awareness of where she was and proceeded to give Braedan a lap dance, not that Braedan himself would contest the behavior. Natalia performed like she’d had practice, grinding her ass into her commander’s groin as he looked on unapologetically, trying to look contrite with his subordinate’s actions, but his eyes would be lying. The movements were fluid, muscles taut and conditioned, Natalia’s performance was so convincing that it was becoming a distraction for the dancers on stage when a small crowd started gathering around their table, some were even betting on how long it would last. This was when Natalia decided to get in his lap, straddle Braedan’s legs, grinding her pelvis into his, wrapping her arms behind his neck and tossing her hair back wildly. Noticing the crowd over her shoulder, Braedan snapped his fingers several times to shoo away the onlookers, but as they were dispersing back to their tables, apparently the buyer had shown up right in the middle of the entertainment.

His buyer was a Julothan who went by the name Temerik, whom Braedan had met on previous occasions. Julothans had heads slightly larger than a human, with two large eyes positioned high and wide on the face, two vertical slits for nostrils, had a strong, wiry build to their torso and arms, their legs were considerably bigger to transport their large frames, which often stood a shade under seven feet tall but were known to get as tall as eight feet. How they addressed a person at the first and every subsequent meeting, was what they perceived that person’s occupation to be, followed by their surname or given name if their culture didn’t employ surnames.

“Hunter Braedan, what is that female doing? Is she trying to initiate some type of propagation ritual?” Temerik asked curiously, as he’d rarely seen human females and wasn’t keen on their behavioral habits.

It was hard for Braedan to respond at first, being that Natalia’s chest was directly in his face, and was a bit challenging to see over her shoulder in the enthusiastically inebriated state she was in.

When he was able to get a word in, Braedan reassured Temerik, “It would look that way wouldn’t it, but no…she’s just a little drunk.”

Gently coercing Natalia off his lap, Braedan wanted to conduct a more civil meeting, though one couldn’t exactly call a meeting in a strip club quote unquote ‘civil’. Temerik sat down on the opposite side of the table. Braedan was barely given time to reposition his chair to face him before Natalia, in her flirty, aroused mood, stood behind him and again wrapped her arms around his neck and leaned over his shoulder, purposefully making certain her breasts were grazing the back of Braedan’s head. Once he felt that she’d settled down, he began negotiating with Temerik a suitable asking price for the artifact in the Centurion’s cargo bay.

The meeting was moving along smoothly when Natalia, who up to that point had stayed behind Braedan, unintentionally whispered to him in a sultry voice, “Ehh love, where’s the ladies’ room?”

Pointing her in the general direction, Natalia kissed his cheek and walked behind Temerik to find her way to the restroom.

Temerik stated, “Hunter Braedan, the females of your race are quite odd.”

Finally getting the chance to crack open his bottle of ale, Braedan replied before taking a swig, “Yeah…we’ve have been trying to figure out our females for a while, too.”

Several minutes passed and negotiations were nearly concluded when Natalia returned. Braedan and Temerik had agreed to the time and place of the pickup, they were about to stand when she leaned in next to Braedan’s ear and, with a trace smile, whispered, “There’s something you need to know when you're finished.”

Temerik and Braedan stood, gave the other a customary Julothan bow to show the end of a successful transaction, and went their separate ways.

They patiently waited for Temerik to leave the club, Braedan turned around to grab the ale from the table to take a heavy swig before putting it down. Natalia went over to grab her field vest when he asked, “What are you going on about we need to talk?”

She gave Braedan a look that told him he needed to be patient.

He replied, “You best not be playing games with me.”

With the grin on Natalia’s face when she shook her head, Braedan got suspicious that she'd became privy to information someone wanted kept secret.

Making eye contact, he was forthright when asking, “You weren’t drunk were you?”

An amused smile appeared on Natalia’s face before playfully answering, “I’m afraid not darling, you see, I’m part Irish…I only got buzzed.”

There Braedan stood, a puzzled expression on his face when inquiring, “And that lap dance you gave me, what was that then?”

“That was to help you lighten up.” Natalia confidently said, “besides, what better way to calm a man’s nerves than to be serviced by a beautiful dancer. Plus, it gave me motive to activate the comm reader on my belt.”

The only response Braedan gave her was a blank look, wondering to himself where this version of Natalia had been hiding this whole time. He then gave her an approving nod, satisfied that she’d shown the initiative to pull that off, even if it was a tad unorthodox, though he wouldn’t argue with the results.

They got out of the club and back onto the street to reach the docking bay ahead of the purposed meet up with Temerik. Along the way, Natalia relayed to Braedan what information she’d been able to scan over in the short time she’d had, and what she was telling him was unsettling. What she’d learned was that Temerik had been in communication with the Alliance, who’d been scouring every corner of the galaxy for the Centurion since the raid on Balian, sending messages to any of Braedan's partners who were interested in a reward, and how Temerik had contacted them about its arrival on Pherros and to await his message about the time and place for an exchange.

When the two returned to the bay where the Centurion was docked, Braedan told Natalia with a sly grin, “Time for us to set a trap of our own.”

Default Re: Titanium Core - Chapter 2 (Part 4) - Updated 1 Mar 2014

Want to thank everyone for helping to get this thread to 1.500+ views!

Content Emeritus

Default Re: Titanium Core - Chapter 2 (Part 4) - Updated 1 Mar 2014

Good update! I actually thought Natalia had actually been drunk! Slick move on her part. Keep those updates coming!

Default Re: Titanium Core - Chapter 2 (Complete) - Updated 9 Mar 2014

Chapter 2 - Part 5
    When they arrived back at the Centurion, Braedan went over his plan with the crew, making the most of the time he had before the agreed upon meeting with Temerik, putting all the pieces in place so as not to be caught off guard. The only variable he couldn’t factor in was the Alliance. Would they bring one person or a fire team? Would they bring pistols or assault rifles? What type of armor would they be wearing? Were they alone or did they have backup? With the training he’d received as a youth, it helped Braedan deconstruct situational strategy, but sitting on the other side of the fence, in the dark, it was a bad position to be in, especially when you couldn’t anticipate what the enemy would bring.

As mid-afternoon came, the sky had become overcast with a light drizzle, collecting in puddles here and there across the landing bay floor, as Braedan carted the weapons crate from the ship’s darkened cargo hold. He whistled to himself a meandering tune for the next ten minutes, coolly waiting for the guests to arrive. Through the visor on his headgear, Braedan did a thorough scan of the recessed areas of the bay, looking for any trace heat signatures or heartbeats of any unwanted visitors the Alliance may have dropped off. From his vantage point, there’s nothing the Alliance could have left that Braedan couldn’t find, that and the visor would have detected body heat, but there was nothing besides a dozen or so droids conducting maintenance.

Several more minutes went by and it felt like something wasn’t right, Braedan began to think someone may have tipped Temerik off just as he and a man in plain clothes were walking into the landing bay’s open area.

Braedan, standing up straight, snarkly commented, “Was beginning to believe you’d chickened out Temerik, seeing as this little item seems to be a hot commodity at the moment. And I thought you were coming alone…”

“Excuse my imprudence, Hunter Braedan, I sought only protection during the transaction. This human, h-h-he’s local security, nothing more,” Temerik timidly replied.

“Temerik, I’d be inclined to think you’re lying, but seeing how you’re offering money, I can overlook that,” Braedan impartially boasted.

For a moment, he gauged the pair’s reaction, both with their eyes and body language. The Julothan’s eyes were moving nervously, shifting his body weight from side to side like he had a twitch, while his ‘security’ was a bit too controlled, like he’d had selective training, his feet were in an at-rest position like one would find in a military formation, his posture upright and rigid. Braedan knew Temerik was lying, and didn’t give off any indicators that he knew what was going on.

“I’m upping the price to 1,500,000 credits,” Braedan said plainly.

Somewhat dismayed, Temerik answered, “The agreed upon price was 750,000 credits.”

“By bringing in security, the value of the item has increased, so you basically upped the ante, which tells me you covet the item far more than you initially let on,” Braedan shrewdly responded.

Braedan noticed how Temerik’s eyes darted over to the unknown man on his left, like he was supposed to take a cue from him if the exchange began to get heated. The Julothan’s behavior was like they’d been rehearsed, not natural or instinctual. He’d also seen how the man’s hand had, slowly but steadily, moved to his sidearm when Braedan had changed the asking price.

In a placid voice, Braedan asked, “Temerik, would you consider us friends?”

“O-o-f course we are, Hunter Braedan, I am friends with all I do business with,” Temerik anxiously reassured him.

A confident grin appeared on Braedan’s lips, “Oh how I wish I could believe you Temerik, I really wish I could, but thing is, I can’t, because you lied to me,” his grin turning into a sneer, “this man isn’t security…he’s Alliance!”

Drawing his sidearm, Braedan pointed the weapon at the Julothan, and before the operative could remove the weapon from his holster, Braedan gestured to him not to try.

“Ah ah, lackey, I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” Braedan bluntly suggested, his pistol still pointed at Temerik’s head.

“Why, because you’ve got a weapon directed at his head? I don’t give a s--- about him, I only give a s--- about what’s in that crate, seeing that it’s the rightful property of the Alliance,” the operative bitterly pointed out.

Braedan smirked, “Last I checked, it’s MY property. And there’s one thing you were wrong about operative, one thing you SHOULD be concerned about.”

“And what’s that?” the operative contemptuously replied.

“I’m so glad you asked,” Braedan said modestly, snapping his fingers, “…it’s your life.”

A split-second later, the operative found a sniper’s laser aimed at his chest.

“Seeing that I now have your full, undivided attention, Temerik here will transfer the full 1.5 million credits into my account, as per our agreement, and you, Mr. Alliance, will toss BOTH of your sidearms on the ground,” Braedan sternly instructed.

The operative, confused about how the mercenary could know Alliance procedure, begrudgingly removed the sidearm from his waist and the one strapped to his ankle. Backing away, he watched Temerik through his peripheral vision as he went about the monetary transfer into Braedan’s account. With the laser still trained on his chest, and the mercenary’s pistol still aimed at the Julothan, the operative knew any sudden movement on his part and both of them were dead.

When the transfer was complete, Temerik gave Braedan a subtle nod.

Holstering his weapon, Braedan kindly stated, “Now gentlemen, if you don’t mind, we’ll be on our way,” and with a few taps on the controller strapped to his wrist, sent the loading palette with the container back onto the Centurion.

As he was walking up the ramp, the operative assertively stated, “You’ll be seeing me again!”

Braedan, tipping his imaginary hat to him, answered, “I severely doubt that,” with the cargo ramp closing behind him.

The Centurion lifted off, retracted its struts, rose from the landing bay and blasted off into the Pherrosian skies. The operative watched, for even if he’d picked up one of his weapons, there wasn’t anything he could’ve done to penetrate the assault ship’s armor with pistol ammunition. While on the ship as it flew away, Braedan helped Natalia in putting the equipment back in the storage lockers, securing everything before he’d get on the intercom to ask Dani to make the jump to hyperspace.

When all was stowed away, Braedan let out a sigh of relief, knowing they’d just dodged a bullet.

He caught Natalia just as she was going up the steps to the command deck and living area, saying to her, “Sterling…just wanted to say you did some good work today.”

“Thank you, sir,” she responded appreciatively.

Braedan snickered and said, “You should’ve been standing there, the look on that guy’s face, scared s---less. Had he known you were simply holding a scope with a laser sight on it, that could’ve ended differently. Ohh man…phew, that’ll be one to remember.”

Natalia grinned, “Does this mean you trust me now?”

“Nope,” he said while walking past her to go up the steps, slumping her shoulders before he finished, “…but you’re getting there.”

In the next couple hours, the Centurion had made its way into hyperspace. And Braedan, just in the off-chance he could find out who the operative was in the hangar, asked Masaki to run facial recognition from data uploaded from his visor through the Alliance’s database to find any possible matches. In the downtime after the mission, Braedan had popped in to see Dani and give her a friendly peck on the cheek, before going back to his quarters to kick up his feet and relax.

Sadly though, this relaxation was cut short when he heard Masaki on the intercom, “Braedan-san, Braedan-san come, need to see.”

Trudging out of his room, Braedan said as he just was about to turn the corner to walk into the comm room, “Masaki, better be a good reason for this, bud.”

He knew something was off when Masaki scooted away from his workstation and pointed at the screen, intending for Braedan to read it.

Yawning, he got in close to the screen, scrolling down the page past the operative's picture and as soon as he read the name, Braedan stood up in a state of shock, muttering, “Son of a b----.”

Masaki asked, “Who is it?”

Braedan said in disbelief, “It’s my brother.”

As a way of gauging how well the story's doing, I welcome readers to give their critiques on its strengths and weaknesses, what could be improved and what should be left alone.

Don't be shy.

Thinking about discontinuing the story, since it feels there is little interest from the community, noted by only three comments in the past six weeks in lieu of four substantial updates. I'm strongly considering moving the story elsewhere.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I've been reading it, I've just been busy. Sorry.

Content Emeritus

That was a twist I didn't see coming. His brother! This should make things quite interesting. I hope u do continue this.

I've finally begun the process of starting Part 1 of Chapter 3, and will likely take a few days to complete.

Don't get me wrong, I've been generating ideas over the last month, yet I haven't had any motivation to put them into words. It also left me irked that this story, which won a MCWC, hasn't merited a single rep point since the winners were announced. Whatever misgivings I may have about that, I'm prepared to go about writing the next chapter. If these new updates don't begin garnering more interest, by way of comments, not views, I'm uncertain about continuing the story beyond this chapter.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I still read it, and I'm still liking the story :

Just because comments are down doesn't mean readers are. Comments tend to revolve around action-y or generally intense portions of a story.

Default Re: Titanium Core - Chapter 3 (Part 1) - Updated 8 Apr 2014

Chapter 3 – Part 1
    Nelkaris Prime, Nelkaria Abyssal
    April, 2553 C.E

Since the run-in with his brother on Pherros two months before, it was becoming increasingly difficult for Braedan to find any allies or contacts who hadn’t been contacted, in some way, shape, or form, by the Alliance. In a few encounters, he’d had to kill friends who’d fallen prey to the Alliance’s promise of a lucrative reward, hoping to catch Braedan and his crew off-guard, but found themselves on the vengeful end of his pistol. Over that same span, he inwardly began to have doubts of his crew’s loyalty, for how else could the Alliance have knowledge of Braedan’s network of contacts across the galaxy, no one could have intelligence of that sort besides those whom he trusted, no one who didn’t have something to gain from it. Someone, somehow, somewhere, had an intimate understanding of that list and in turn, was influencing reliable friends to betray him for the promise of wealth and power, however minor it might be.

Pessimism wracked his thoughts as the Centurion touched down on Nelkaris Prime, a modestly populated world dotted with agro-colonies and processing centers to service them. Where Braedan and Talia would be going was to a meetup with an old contact, Fhenlin, who’d claimed in his message that he held intelligence that Braedan would want to know. Given the recent high turnover rate of acquaintances turning traitor, he couldn’t take what Fhenlin said without being wearisome of his motivations for wanting to divulge whatever it was he knew.

Striding out of the small spaceport where the Centurion was docked, Braedan and Talia, whom after three months of conducting missions could be called his protégé, he engaged the visor on his headgear when the sun was about hit his eyes just as they reached the town outside. On a world of this type, there was often about as many droids as there were sentient beings, giving Titan Company only one task – make contact with Fhenlin.

Gradually, the skies overhead became overcast as the pair walked the streets, grazing past droids and people alike, scouting for locales to kick up their feet as Braedan waited Fhenlin to signal him. They settled on a hole-in-the-wall cantina, looking like it’d seen better days, but it’d be suitable enough to burn some daylight while they waited. Walking in, the lighting was one step above dim, with maybe a half dozen other people partaking in the ambiance while they downed the local swill. As they found a vacant table, of which there were more than a few, Talia checked the ammo holders near her sidearm and those strapped around her thigh, but to the onlookers of the hornier sort and she being the only woman of reasonable desirability for some distance; to them, Talia was checking out her rack.

Filled with some gusto, or perhaps a bit too much alcohol, a spry younger-looking gentleman walked up to their table as the droid waiter had taken their order. He did this in the belief that he could get the woman’s Holo address, walking up to her like he was someone important, he instead only made himself look like an ass.

“Damn honey…you musta firgot your wings when you fell from heaven.”

He looked over his shoulder to his friend, shooting him a wink and thumbs up, like that line was the ultimate panty-dropper. In truth, Talia paid no mind to it. The lout, determined to make an impression, in an effort to look smooth, he was more like a d---.

“Hey girly, how ’bout you and me go someplace quiet?”

Talia stood up, voice cool and eyes seductive, saying to him, “I’ll go if you can do one thing…”

Before the drunkard could cock an eyebrow, he felt a painful jolt in his groin as Talia had taken a hold of his junk. Just in case anyone wanted to jump in and act in the man’s defense, Braedan unlatched the strap from his holster and held the pistol at his side, in case someone wanted to play hero. As predicted, no one’s sobriety level was quite high enough to save the guy from embarrassment.

The man, wincing and visibly in pain, Talia, amused by his predicament, clearly stated, “…when you can pick your balls up from the floor by being humiliated by a girl.”

In the short time after she said that, Talia couldn’t decide whether to kick him in his already-tender jewels or knee him in the face. It’s safe to say she chose the latter. Taking a firm grasp on either side of his head, she lowered it within striking distance and in a clean, fluid motion, Talia sent her knee flying directly into the kid’s face, a telltale ‘snap’ indicating a broken nose as he fell backwards.

Lying unconscious on the floor, blood dripped from the young man’s nose. Everyone, having paid no-never mind to the incident, continued paying it as they left him there to sleep off his mistake.

As she sat down in her chair, Braedan remarked, “Keep this up and you’ll be giving ‘pretty princess’ a bad name.”

Taking his words as a compliment, Talia cutely smirked when she replied, “A girl’s got to defend herself somehow…it’s only right to protect my honor.”

“Well…next time you gotta do it, don’t rough up these bumpkins too much, pretty sure they’ve got work in the morning,” Braedan responded.

Shortly after, the droid waiter delivered their drinks. The two sat back and took it easy, sipping their drinks and talking between themselves until about ten minutes later, when Braedan heard a subtle beep from the comm device on his wrist. Taking one last sip of their drinks, they got up and walked toward the exit, Braedan was mindful to flip the owner a 10-credit piece for the trouble and the mess.

When they got outside, a light drizzle was falling as Braedan pulled up the holographic map from his comm device, Talia watching his rear to make sure no one was eavesdropping. According to map, Fhenlin was located somewhere near Chasm Bridge, a ten-meter wide, two-hundred-meter long structure spanning a gap between Onipale, their present location, and the processing plants that process the town’s harvest to be sent off-world. It was strange how Fhenlin would choose a dangerously exposed position, where anyone would be easy pickings for a sniper with good aim, instead of another location where they were easily concealed.

Shutting off the holo map, Braedan turned and stood next to Talia, “Something doesn’t feel right with this, the location just reeks of ‘ambush’ if you ask me.”

She asked him, “Where’s the meetup supposed to be?”

Braedan gave her the simplest answer he could, “On a bridge.”

While he maintained a composed demeanor, one could tell Talia was ruffled from the tactical assessment she was conducting in her head, when everything her training had taught her was to avoid getting caught on a bridge at all costs.

Soon thereafter, she voiced her concern, “If we get caught out there, there’s nowhere we can go.”

“Rookie, I’ve been analyzing situations a lot longer than you, though I can’t say I disagree,” Braedan openly confessed, “given our recent run-ins, it wouldn’t be surprising if the Alliance tried something. If anything, this’d be their best shot.”

From where they were at, it was a good two kilometers to the meeting point, meaning if they wanted to make it there in a respectable time, they needed to walk at a brisk pace the entire way. Their route took them along streets that weren’t crowded, with few mechs or people to speak of, making their trek through the town less likely to run into complications. As they reached the wider streets, they were no more congested than the alleyways they’d taken to get there, and their meeting point was a mere two blocks away, as Chasm Bridge was a landmark that was hard to miss. And as they walked out onto the bridge, Braedan spotted Fhenlin standing near the railing about one-quarter of the way across.

Approaching him from behind, on his left flank, Braedan said to Fhenlin, “Long time, no see Fhenlin.”

“I could say the same to you Braedan. What’d you do to piss off the Alliance enough to put out a bounty on you?”

He grinned at Fhenlin, “Oh you know…one night stand, they woke up alone, can’t go into too much detail.”

Fhenlin shook his head before responding, “With that type of attitude, it’s a wonder they haven’t caught you yet,” his eyes peered over at Talia, who was standing behind Braedan to watch the rear, “who’s the girl?”

“No one you need to be acquainted with,” Braedan replied, hocking his gum over the railing, over Fhenlin’s shoulder, “tell me the truth, why’d you drag me to this nowhere, outta-the-way agro-colony to give me this supposed intel of yours?”

Braedan carefully unlatched his holster, in case he needed to draw his weapon if Fhenlin’s response turned violent. Without turning, he tapped Talia on the hip to get her attention, taking notice of how Braedan’s hand was poised to draw his pistol as she turned to face Fhenlin. The setting felt unnerving, like they were being dangled on a ledge, like they were bait, and what made it worse was that Fhenlin hadn’t been speaking to Braedan face-to-face, but standing at an angle, as though he was hiding something.

Backing up a few feet, Braedan drew his sidearm, demanding to know what was going on.

Fhenlin turned around, a bomb wired to his stomach, saying to Braedan, “Newton is alive!”

The next few seconds were a blur as Braedan grabbed Talia, desperately trying to dive outside the blast radius before the bomb went off. Fhenlin went up in a ball of fire and shrapnel, all that he was had been vaporized into a red mist. Dust kicked up from the explosion hung over Braedan and Talia, who were struggling to get to their hands and feet, heads pounding...bodies aching…ears ringing. While trying to catch his breath, Braedan made the attempt to get to his feet, however, still too disoriented from the explosion, he quickly stumbled back on his hands and knees.

Holding his head between his arms, Braedan grunted, “Son of a b----…son of a b----…knew it was coming and walked right into it,” grunting again, only this time, wanting the ringing in his ears to stop.

Looking up through the dust, which by now was settling back to earth, in between the constant blinking to regain his senses, Braedan spied an obscured figure standing at the foot of the bridge. Watching, waiting to confirm the targets had been eliminated. Patiently, they stood there, looking for any movement, any indicator the targets had survived. Motionless, the figure was dismayed when they saw silhouettes moving about, however unfortunate it was for them. Nonetheless, a clear warning had been sent.

Lingering with relative impunity, the figure waited a few seconds more before starting off in the opposite direction.

Braedan wanted nothing else but to chase after the bastard who’d killed his friend, and almost killed them as well, but he had to look over Talia to make sure she was alright.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Titanium Core - Chapter 3 (Part 1) - Updated 8 Apr 2014

An explosion always makes things interesting

Default Re: Titanium Core - Chapter 3 (Part 2) - Updated13 Apr 2014

Chapter 3 – Part 2
    Aboard Regent-class infiltrator ship Umbra
    Orbiting Nelkaris Prime, Nelkaria Abyssal
    April, 2553 C.E.

An officer is projected via the Long-range Interstellar Communications Relay (LICR).

“Operative, what is your report?” the officer asked.

The agent, standing at full attention, recited, “Phantom Operative 406-11-4210 reporting. The informant, Fhenlin, has been liquidated. He will no longer be of any help to our targets.”

“What of the targets themselves?”

“The targets, Braedan and Sterling, narrowly avoided the detonation. They, however, did not escape without injury,” the Operative recounted.

“Your mission was to eliminate them, not let them escape,” the officer explained, a faint sign of anger in his voice.

Putting inflection in their speech, the Operative reminded the officer of his place in the matter.

“Might I remind you, the Initiative stands above the UEA, we only cooperate for mutual benefit. By Directive 115.1-A, subsection C, “No Operative, whether by command or coercion, shall execute a target within view of civilians. Stealth, by any prerogative, shall be upheld to propagate our continued activities. They are to use whatever discretion at their disposal, to achieve that objective.” It isn’t up to you to dictate orders; they are, however, mine to execute HOW I see fit, WHEN I see fit.”

The officer was silent.

The Operative had deliberately stayed in the shadows, to preserve their anonymity, grinning condescendingly.

“Very good, Captain. Now run off, be the good little gofer that you are.”

Ending the transmission, the Operative went about their work.

Aboard Tachyon-class assault ship Centurion
    Orbiting Belrombin, Nelkaria Abyssal
    April, 2553 C.E.

After they’d finished one of their stress-reducing flings, Dani got out of bed and started to get dressed. Slipping on her bra and tank top first, she’d just slid up her panties when Braedan sat up in bed with his feet on the cold floor, slumped over with his elbows on his knees. Dani went back to the bed and sat next to him.

“You look like you’ve got the weight of the world on your shoulders,” she said humorously trying to lighten Braedan’s mood, but couldn’t get a reaction.

All he did was stare at the bulkhead in front of him.

Dani rested her head on his bare shoulder, sliding an arm across his back before asking, “Brae, talk to me. I haven’t felt you this tense since...well…you know…”

A moment later, Braedan whispered under his breath, “Fig is alive.”

Pulling away from him as her eyes grew wider, Dani asked in shock, “What…where’d you hear that?”

“Fhenlin’s final words,” he answered, “…he made eye contact as he said it, an instant before the bomb exploded.”

Kissing his shoulder just as she rested her head on it, Dani professed, “Please don’t go there again…don’t torture yourself. We all saw what losing him did to you. Don’t give yourself false hope in believing this, because it might’ve been meant to mislead us.”

“We…I…have an obligation to find out if he is alive. If he is, the least we could do is try to find him,” Braedan replied as Dani rubbed her hand up and down his back.

She did this for several seconds before thoughtfully saying, “Has anyone told you you’re a good man?”

“Dani, you who’ve known me longest – I’m not a good man,” Braedan said as he sat upright.

As a smile appeared on her face, she stated soothingly, “You do more than you realize. Whether it’s sitting in with Talia to teach her things you’ve learned, whether it’s having guy time with Masaki, or whether it’s checking in to see how I’m doing on the bridge…you do a lot of small things that keep us going. Never doubt yourself, never doubt what you’re capable of.”

Flashing a grin, Braedan said, “Would’ve never guessed you for motivational speeches.”

Dani shook her head, “Speeches are for leaders, I’m just a pilot. You Brae, you’re a leader, from the first time we met…hell, I wouldn’t have signed on for anyone less. It takes a leader to carry the burden of everything weighing them down, cinching themselves up to stand tall, and finding the strength to push others on when they would’ve given up on their own.”

“Again, with the speeches.”

“Take that as a sign of being a good man then,” Dani smiled, giving him a peck on the cheek before getting up to put on her pants.

Braedan waited until Dani was pulling up her pants to get out of bed, resting his hands on her waist just as she was getting them buttoned. With a grin on her lips, she glanced over her shoulder at the feeling of his hands holding her. Dani friskily slapped away one of Braedan’s hands.

“Unh uh, buddy boy, you gotta earn it to get it, and I think you’ve spent all your points for the day. Besides, someone has to fly this tub, or something bad could happen, like getting lost,” she said playfully.

Nonchalantly, Braedan went ahead and pinched her ass.

Turning around, she flirtatiously commented, “You’re incorrigible, but I’ll give you two points. Find a way to ten, you’ll get everything you want,” planting a soft kiss on his lips.

She turned to leave and on the way out, Dani said, “And put some clothes on, what do you think this is, a cruise or something.”

About five minutes later, after he’d gotten straightened up and looking somewhat presentable, if a t-shirt, fatigues, and boots were presentable, Braedan stepped out of his quarters. Walking down the corridor to Talia’s room, he found the door open and knocked to see if she was decent, but when he poked his head inside, Braedan found she wasn’t there. Moving up toward the front of the ship, he checked with Masaki in the comm room and Dani on the bridge, neither of them had seen her. Finding it kind of odd for Talia to up and disappear, he looked in the not-so-familiar places to see where she’d gone.

Checking the engine room, Braedan couldn’t find a trace of her, and seeing how Talia frequented most of the ship regularly, he figured there was but one place she could be – the cargo hold. When he got down to the hold, there he found her, at the workbench breaking down her equipment for cleaning, but something felt off the closer Braedan got to Talia.

In the midst of disassembling her pistol, Talia’s hands were shaking. Clearly the events on Nelkaris Prime had affected her more than she’d let on during the debrief, and perhaps didn’t show as her adrenaline was running laps through her system. Braedan had nearly forgotten, during the past few months, that Talia wasn’t adept at witnessing death of a personal nature. Personal not in the sense she knew the individual, but personal in seeing someone die horrifically directly in front of them.

Braedan interposed, steadying Talia’s hands before she knew he was there. When she turned and her eyes met his, Braedan could tell Talia had been crying for some time, obviously traumatized from the day before last. Curling her arms against his chest, Talia sunk her face into his shoulder and started bawling like a child, and Braedan, in a gesture of sympathy, wrapped his arms around her shoulders. She did this for a good few minutes, her tears soaking into his shirt, but Braedan didn’t mind, for he knew soldiers had to let it out every now and again, even the toughest and strongest.

With a muffled voice, Talia sobbed, “How do you do it?”

“The tears you’re crying now, those tears I got out years ago. I don’t show it because I’ve numbed myself from the pain,” Braedan sighed, “but believe me, I still have moments like these.”

Braedan held Talia until she calmed herself.

“But rookie…you’re gonna have to grow up fast, because if the person at the end of that bridge is what I think they are, our fight just got a whole lot tougher,” he emphasized.

“What was it?” she asked.

“A Phantom.”

Default Re: Titanium Core - Chapter 3 (Part 2) - Updated 13 Apr 2014

Working on the next update as we speak. It should be out within a couple days, still debating whether to write another paragraph and post, or try slogging it out and adding another page.

Default Re: Titanium Core - Chapter 3 (Part 3) - Updated 21 Apr 2014

Chapter 3 – Part 3
    Returning to the upper decks of the ship from the cargo hold, Braedan made his way up to the bridge to update Dani on a hunch he was having.

When he found her, Dani was looking over the astrogation charts on the displays, sitting on the consoles in front of the flight controller. She had always possessed an intuitive attitude when it came to flying. Part of that came with being intimate with the ship’s flight mechanics, how it pitched if Dani manipulated the controls one way, yawed moving them another way, and she was intricate in tweaking the most minute detail in getting the ship the closest to perfection she could. As he approached the bridge, Braedan had an inkling she was in one of those moods, simply by the movement of shadows bouncing around, where Dani was so focused that she wouldn’t notice someone if they were sitting six inches from her face.

Standing In the doorway to the bridge, Braedan lingered there in silence, watching Dani do her thing. However, while she may not have sensed anyone around her, one had to be careful when they tried interrupting the procedural method Dani went about adjusting the controls, because catch her at the wrong time, and she’s liable to bite the interrupter’s head off. The trick was to spot the lapses in the all the button-pressing and switch-flipping, and if done properly, she’d be as gentle as a butterfly in her reaction.

In the following three minutes, Braedan must’ve seen Dani make a few dozen calibrations and alterations to everything including engine power, fuel efficiency, dive brakes, dive flaps, and any other generic terminology that he could think of.

Braedan saw his chance when she paused to take a breather, since she’d been working much longer than he’d been standing there… much, much longer.

Knocking on the inside of the door, “Hey Dani, you got a minute?” before walking over to the co-pilot’s chair.

“Sure, what’s up?” she said, her voice sounding relieved rather than welcoming, glad for something to distract her from work for a bit.

He sighed, “You know, how during the debrief, it sounded like I was being elusive on certain facts about the person at the edge of the bridge?”

Dani had never been one to mince words, so all she did was nod.

“You weren’t in regular service, and Fig would’ve known, but he’s not here to ask, “ Braedan said, leaning back in the chair, scratching the stubble on his face, “while I was on Qal’tar, rumors circulated in the ranks of a Spec Ops group, calling themselves Phantoms, going after targets the Alliance deemed ‘high priority.’ No one sees them, but their work is the only sign they were there. And whatever we picked up on Balian, I’m guessing the Alliance wants it back more than I thought, because that person on the bridge, I’d hedge my bets was a Phantom.”

“And these Phantoms…how good are they?” Dani answered.

“Good,’ he replied like it was an understatement.

She exhaled, “So what’s next?”

“Back during my younger years,” Braedan commented with sarcasm, “I crossed paths with a Xelanite courtesan, who’s pretty skilled at keeping her ear to the ground, becoming a confidant to things some might want kept secret.”

Dani’s reaction was skeptical, “Was this the same courtesan you nearly married?”

Braedan looked away and began whistling, as Dani spun the pilot’s seat around to smack his arm with the back of her hand.

“Well…”

Rubbing his arm briefly, Braedan said, “That’s beside the point. If there’s any intel we could gather on the Alliance, the Phantom who’s hunting us, or any leads about where Fig might be, dropping by to see her would give us a broader glimpse of what we’re facing. That, and if my hunch is correct, she’s right where I left her, on a world the Alliance wouldn’t dare send its best agents.”

“Where would that be?” she asked.

He shot a grin back at her, “I’m so glad you asked. What you’ve won is an all-expenses-paid trip to Xeltana. There you’ll find beautiful weather, stunning beaches, gorgeous women….and the home of the Xelanite Dominion, one of the galaxy’s largest militaries.”

Rolling her eyes and shaking her head, “Smart ass…just thank your lucky stars you’re cute,” she finished with a wink.

“You have to admit…you kinda walked into that one,” Braedan laughed, “anyway, I need to give Masaki the go-ahead to message my courtesan acquaintance. It’d be rude to drop by entirely unannounced.”

Getting up from his seat, Braedan was walking away to leave, but paused long enough to say, “Dani, take a break every now and again, don’t need to see you stressing out.”

April, 2553 C.E.
    Xeltana, Pax Capitolina

Upon entering Xeltana’s atmosphere, the Centurion was escorted to its landing platform by a pair of Milesian interceptors, tailing the assault ship until its struts were firmly on the ground.

When the cargo ramp was lowered, and the crew disembarked the ship, everyone but Braedan was gawking in awe of the sights unfurled before them. Grandiose structures, stretching kilometers into the sky, temples the size of city blocks, arches, whose height and width spanned dozens of meters, and a revelry of color wherever they looked. While Dani, Masaki, and Talia were all too busy taking in the magnificence and sheer scale of their surroundings, Braedan saw their escort walking toward them, in a timely, martial fashion. It wasn’t too long until they stood before the crew of the Centurion, and the differences in attire were in stark contrast to each other. For the Xelanites were adorned in composite, segmented armor that shimmered in the sun, wearing a helmet reminiscent of those worn by the ancient legionaries of Rome, and armed with Hastas energy-staffs about two-meters in length; but in comparison, Titan Company, even though they had the best armor and weapons they could steal from the Alliance, looked quaint next to their hosts.

Without any fanfare, the Xelanite formation, eight soldiers lined up four ranks deep and two rows wide, opened up down the middle and spaced themselves an arm’s length apart lengthwise. Braedan took the lead in the middle, everyone else falling in behind.

When the Xelanites, seeing the crew safe within the confines of the formation, tapped their staffs on the ground, and the escort proceeded to march.

The route the escort took led them through areas filled with fountains ten-meters high, sprawling gardens, luxurious bathhouses, markets crammed with goods from across known space - all blended with the right amount of technology and grandeur that were both functional and pleasing to the eye. Everyone, including Braedan, was entranced not only by the beauty, but the scope and scale of the environment around them. It wasn’t long until they were approaching a grandly colonnaded building, with columns thirty-five meters high and seven meters around, and it was while they were walking up the steps to the entrance that the crew, notably Dani, began whispering their grumblings to Braedan about the importance of the person they were going to visit.

Once they made their way past the colonnade, and past the entrance, the group walked through a small alcove and just beyond, they found themselves in a room of mammoth proportions. What was referred to by the Xelanites as the Great Hall of the Gatherers, where races from across their Dominion congregated to converse and relax before meeting with their selected representatives, had a vaulted ceiling standing seventy-five meters high, its interior illuminated using enormous skylights and accentuated with soft artificial lighting, creating a sight that one might call heavenly upon seeing it for the first time. From there, the escort took a right turn and led them down a corridor, taking the group to the second-to-last office down the hall.

The lead guard announced, “The Courtesan of the Laurel, Lady Edhen Aemeliana, awaits your presence,” the detail stood muted as they waited for the group to walk into the office.

Braedan took the initiative and walked into the room, everyone else follow suit, and when the crew was inside, the guards formed a wall outside the entrance, permitting no admittance to anyone. When the doors closed behind them, a young, statuesque-looking woman turned and stood up from her chair.

She moved slowly, gauging the appearance and character of those in her presence. The technologist - who wouldn’t be a threat to anyone other than himself, the navigator – whose skills for flight were only matched by her need for attention, the apprentice – while gifted, had too much left to learn of how to follow orders, and that left the rogue – whom she had gotten to know too well.

The woman wore a dress resembling a toga, with a single strap over the shoulder, fitting close to her athletic frame and falling an inch or so below the knee, and a short, narrow slit down the right leg, provocative yet professional.

Pausing mid-stride in front of Braedan, the woman eyed his attire, looking him from head to toe.

Locking her eyes with Braedan’s, she indirectly spoke to the crew, “You can wait outside, your Captain and I must have a talk.”

Again, the crew expressed their grumblings to Braedan behind his back; but by this time, he’d lost all tolerance for putting up with it.

Darting his head around, he exclaimed, “Go! I suggest you do as she asks. We’re guests here, start acting like it!”

Meeting his eyes with the woman, she stated authoritatively, “Your Captain speaks with wise words, it would be advisable to listen. Either leave voluntarily, or my guards will escort you out, and I would much prefer not to do the latter.”

Without another word from Braedan, the crew did as was advocated, silently exiting the office.

Their eyes remaining locked, the woman waited until she’d heard the last of his crew vacate the room before openly expressing her opinion, about why Braedan and his crew were on Xeltana. Whatever emotions she felt, her eyes hid them well,; however, inside a split-second, her eyebrows furled downward as she gave Braedan a firm, sharp slap across the face.

Rubbing the side of his face she’d struck, he grinned, “Nice to see you too, Edhen.”

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Another great update!

Content Emeritus

I haven't commented on this is awhile and for that I am sorry. I do like the developments that are taking place in the story. The possibility of his brother being alive after all the years of believing he was dead and this past love interest Edhen make for an interesting story. Keep the updates coming!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast