Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cavalry morale?

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Cavalry morale?

Where do you even need cavalry in this era? Sure they are useful if you have them, but why recruit them? Infantry is so cheap, and if someone outshoots you, use cannons to take them out.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Quote Originally Posted by TheRomanRuler View Post
    Where do you even need cavalry in this era? Sure they are useful if you have them, but why recruit them? Infantry is so cheap, and if someone outshoots you, use cannons to take them out.
    Until a line if sight system like in NTW3 or ACW for NTW is introduced, calvary cannot fulfill their only useful role, Scouting. So we'll have to wait.

Trig's Avatar Centenarius

Even now pretty useful as mobile infantry, charging artillery, countering enemy cavalry and chasing routing units. Not to mention the new pistol-toting saddle-shooting raider cavalry, we're introducing in 3.6, which is excellent for harrassing the enemy and hit and run attacks.

Here you can see some Quantrill's and Shelby's Raiders (some wearing yankee jackets, as they did) in action with pistols and double-barrel shotguns...

Last edited by Trig; May 07, 2014 at 09:07 PM.

click banner for ModDB page and all ACW versions download links

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Even now pretty useful as mobile infantry, charging artillery, countering enemy cavalry and chasing routing units. Not to mention the new pistol-toting saddle-shooting raider cavalry, we're introducing in 3.6, which is excellent for harrassing the enemy and hit and run attacks.

Here you can see some Quantrill's and Shelby's Raiders (some wearing yankee jackets, as they did) in action with pistols and double-barrel shotguns...

I worded my post wrong, they're useful as mobile infantry, and I did forget the "hit and run" tactics. I meant to say the role that they were most prominent for, and designed for, is scouting. But it's rather hard to scout when you know where everything is. However, Cav is good to have for arty protection, arty killing, and counter cav. (I must've forgot everything I knew in that earlier post)

Wismar's Avatar Civis

Like, how big will the battle maps be?

Trig's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Wismar View Post
    Like, how big will the battle maps be?
    Not sure what this has to do with cavalry issues, but, they will be big enough for good engagements.

click banner for ModDB page and all ACW versions download links

Those cav units......

Wismar's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Not sure what this has to do with cavalry issues, but, they will be big enough for good engagements.
    Because I was wondering if the cavalry would be used for it's proper role of scouting which isn't possible with small maps. I like the map sizes of NTWIII where cavalry is must for winning because of it's scouting capabilities.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12