Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: monoolho's Hero Unit Pack

monoolho's Avatar Libertus

Icon1 monoolho's Hero Unit Pack

monoolho's Hero Unit Pack

Video with my mod in action!

A HUGE thanks to Dictator Of The Roman Republic to posting my mod on TWCenter's Front Page. That was truly unexpected and REALLY, REALLY AWESOME.

CURRENT STATUS: VER. 3.0 Released -- Planning 3.1
    Approximate ETA: 3.1 is not being worked on yet, for the time being I can only hope to start it by feb. 7th. The following Immortal versions will be done when 3.1 is released: Egypt > Suebi > Rome > Sparta > Arverni (feel free to request any faction you want)

Problems that will arise with the new version:
    - - Nothing yet.

Features to included:

- Try to make the versions truly compatible with one another - for some reason, they don't load in my game -- Feedback needed;
    - Add 3 more heroes;
    - Reduce even more the AI spam of heroes

Download:

Steam Workshop
    Google Drive
    Mediafire
    If you need somewhere else, do request

Description:

This unit pack adds 41 new hero units.

The packs are COMPATIBLE WITH ONE ANOTHER, so you can use any version you want together with another version you wish. You can mix and match!
    (I haven't done the immortal versions yet, only the main, mortal and their more soldiers versions) the other versions will need to be requested as that takes some work and time I currently don't have, but I can make do if you want it

They were NOT MEANT to be historically accurate, they are sort of "cheat" units. All units are completely ficticious created by me for fun and roleplaying. They require support from other units to be truly effective, or else they may be halted by the enemy - It can take really, really long for them to fight off units alone and depending on the version, they'll die.

Understanding the different versions:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    There are several versions of the mod, each with a specific purpose.

Main (normal): The hero units usually only die by other heroes, however too many units and siege weapons may kill them.

Mortal: The heroes are just like the best elite units, they have very high stats, but if they fight too many soldiers alone, they die. The most "realistic" version.

_CB (Custom Battle): This is an add-on that allows for the units of that specific version to be used in Custom Battles - be aware that if you use more than one version in the custom battle, it may crash (it does for me). But the campaign should work fine with no problems.

Immortal: The heroes won't die, but for obvious reasons, they are only recruitable by a single faction. (Hence the many, many versions)

More soldiers: The heroes instead of being one soldier units, have 10 soldiers - something similar to Shogun 2's heroes.
    >>The faction-specific more soldiers versions has immortal heroes.

Compatible: When I started the mod I had little skill and too much enthusiasm. That leads to rushed decisions. Due to that, I ended up creating many incompatible versions. Now that I have more skill and patience, I am able to create versions compatible with one another. So, the versions with a "Compatible" tag are usable with other versions of the mod. From now on, I'll try to only create such versions so that it is entirely modular and can satisfy most people's tastes.

Unit Graphics (Thanks to their mods! Do use them!):

I use this space to thank all the modders and teams that helped me make this mod and actually allowed me to mod at all. While the tutorials were of great help, without these mods, this [mod] would not have happened. I credit them, thank them, respect them and wish them the best of everything that is worth on this world. They dedicate their free time to create something that works for everyone and can make the game more enjoyable for other people. Like teachers, professors and policemen, these persons dedicate their time so others can better enjoy theirs. If modding was a profession (and sometimes it leads to), these guys deserve the respect. With that in mind, I give you, humble user who is trying to find a good mod, some counsel: please respect the modders and teachers, and let them do their job, don't rush and don't push them to fit your agenda. They are doing their best with what they have. You probably don't know what's going on in their life, and yet, they are there, dedicating their sweat for you. Food for thought.

The unit graphics are mostly default variant definitons, I have taken the liberty to use models from the following awesome mods: (the units they provide are NOT included)

>Obviously, Radious' Unit Packs 1, 2 and 3. I recommend you use the full mod. It is compatible and add tons of stuff to the game. As stated above, the only required mod is Radious' Unit Pack 1; I have absolutely no idea why (Link to it: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/f.../?id=186231247 ).
    >>>"Playker's Spartan Unit Pack" ( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=187294107 ) which adds the coolest spartan units and improves GREATLY the spartan looks. I really recommend it, but it is not necessary to run this mod.
    >>> sgl70's awesome Macedonian Royal Guard ( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=187079202 ) -- also included.
    >>>And the graphic from Achilles (both Rex's and uribe_abc) (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=191243651 and http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=187959211 respectively)

>>>Noel gallagher's awesome Real Roman Helmet! (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=196111818) DO USE IT! It's awesome for romans.

>>>Playker's Spartans, for his incredible changes to spartans.
    ( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=187294107 ) It adds the coolest spartan units and improves GREATLY the spartan looks. I really recommend it.

>>>
    sgl70's Elite Unit Pack (especially the Macedonian Guard) ( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=187079202 ).

>>> And the graphic from Achilles (both Rex's and uribe_abc) (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=191243651 and http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=187959211 respectively)

>>> The amazingly crafted textures from .takeR.'s Thespian Army Pack (
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=202019043)

Other info:
    I have changed Rome's secondary colour (originally yellow/gold) to black - I will provide a "fix" soon, I don't like yellow, black suited many soldiers and cloaks better than yellow in my opinion.

I have also changed the attrition so that the Major Factions are immune to any attrition - I could not make the units immune, so this was the only solution - I realize how bad this is balance-wise, but it was the only the heroes don't automatically die while maintaining sieges and whatnots. I WANT TO FIX THIS, I just can't right now, if there is a way to make units immune, tell me and I will try it. When a better solution emerges, I will use it!

Recruitment/availability:

All major factions (vanilla+greek dlc+nomad dlc) can recruit them and they are recruitable in the campaign map requiring ANY Settlement.
    No tech required. - Yet
    The unit caps are mostly 1 for heroes and 2 for general units - 4 for "Your General" unit

Known issues/bugs

-- The units tend to die in autoresolve, so be careful.
    >> I am still looking for a way to fix this.

-- more a protip than an issue in the mod (it was an issue before, fixed now) If you don't have a super ultra powerful computer, avoid big unit sizes and avoid using full sets of units with 8 factions in the custom battle - the AI uses all skills at the same time and this freezes the game for some seconds, it MAY crash your game, apparently, using the NoHDR mod, the performance was better, also the picture was much clearer.

-- The AI likes to make the heroes jog in circles sometimes. Build up cardio... CAI's fault, not the mod's. One possible suggestion is to use any other AI mod, radious or something.

-- I hope nothing else... If there is anything, tell me and I will add it here and try to fix it.

Compatibility

I tried to make this mod as compatible as possible with other mods: it adds completely new units and avoids messing with stuff used by other mods, but I can't make any guarantees. I can only assure you that it will be compatible with Radiou's Mod.

If you find a mod that it conflicts with, I humbly request that you report to me at once so I can try to solve the problem.

Planned Features

- Make separate versions for other factions;
    - Add tech requirements for some units;
    - Add building requirements for many units;
    - Create a not so immortal version and allow many factions to recruit them;
    - Eventually add new units;
    - Eventually skin/ do stuff to the variants so they look more unique;
    - Something else you might suggest (:

Version History (changelog):

Newest version: 3.0

Version 3.0
    (updated 01/14/2014)
    List of changes:
    > Made the versions compatible with one another
    >Added more 5 heroes
    >Made more variants for some units
    >Reduced narcissism
    >Reduced AI spam of heroes
    >ALL FACTIONS can recruit the heroes, Major and Minor(including Gaul paid $10 3mb content) in ANY SETTLEMENT.
    >Added Hero generals the AI is likely to use.
    >Crapload of bugfixes
    >ADDED CUSTOM UNIT CARDS! They're not perfect, but they are functional
    >Something else, apparently, which excited many people when I announced it in steam, but can't remember what that was.

Changelog:
    >3.0 - custom unit cards, more 5 heroes, hero generals, all factions, better names, better graphics.
    > 2.5.1 - Some many balance and bugfixes.
    > 2.5 - Added recruitment cost to heroes, fixed their boats, they can now fight at sea. Removed Alex, Julius and Krat from the General Bodyguard Pool (12/05/2013)
    > 2.1 - Fixed compatibility with radious' and custom battle.
    > 2.0 - Added 6 units, fixed some stuff, changed the units class to commander (23/11/2013)
    > 1.5 - Added 2 horse heroes, some bugfixes, fixed the recruitment so that ONLY major factions can recruit heroes.
    > 1.4;1 - Many bugfixes, Rad mod pack no longer needed!
    > 1.4 - Added Julius, taken abilities off, "balanced" units attack/defence.
    > 1.3 - Added heroes to all Major Factions; nerfed their stats.
    > 1.2.1 - added Alexander unit; added heroes to sparta, athens, epirus and macedon; nerfed the units stats.
    > 1.1.2 - Added 3 general bodyguards units (on horseback!) (11/13/2013)
    > 1.1 - Fixed the unit size, it should not crash with small unit size and should keep the same 1 soldier in bigger sizes.
    > 1.0 - Launch version (11/13/2013)

Suggestions? Complaints? Just shout at the comments! I'm always reading them!

If you are a modder and don't like me using somethign of yours or simply don't like me at all, feel free to tell me and I'll heed you.
    Last edited by monoolho; January 29, 2014 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Updated to 3.0

Default Re: monoolho's Hero Unit Pack

[reserved for future updates]

alternative download link?

I am working on it still. Someone gave me a great tip on steam, but I haven't had the time to sit at my computer and do stuff. I also have to try and add some pictures and do my stuff with images. Mainly for preview.
    Last edited by monoolho; January 18, 2014 at 09:43 AM.

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

Suggestions?

I want your Roman Generals !!!

They looks soooo great! I ask me when someone will start to work on a good one. Your the first.
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

What do you mean my roman generals? Do you want more? HAHAHA!
    Last edited by monoolho; January 18, 2014 at 09:46 AM.

Ok, I know I need to patch the mod(s) to work with the latest patches, however I don't know yet what caused the mod to completely crash, it was supposed to be loadable.

But due to many unforeseen and foreseen circumstances, I will TRY to update it before christmas, but it'll be most likely only after the holidays.

If you're a free spirit and do want to play/help, you are free to fix whatever you want, but please tell me what you did or want to do -- so you don't waste energy on something I already did . You can talk to me here, PM me, speak on steam whatever. The 2.6 version has most changes done, but i don't know yet why it won't load and I don't have a lot of time to debug now. If you do see what is wrong with the mod, please tell me.

tl;dr: Approximate ETA: Only the gods know. The problem is I'm going on a trip for the holidays and it might not get done until then. Definitelly NEXT YEAR (early jan.) it'll be patched, but right now... I'm not so sure. Boys and gals, LIFE happens to us all.

Can we get another download link besides steam workshop i know it says your are working on it but it should be preatty easy to set up no ?

I'm working on an update, already got the upload sites ready for the 2.6 version (mediafire and google drive), as soon as I finish updating it and applying the new changes, I'll upload to all 3 (steam, mediafire and google), and if necessary, make other mirrors. But until I make it compatible with the latest patch, it's really no use uploading the previous version.

FRIGGING FINALLY! It is updated to the 3.0 version (jumped heh!)

What's new:
    Version 3.0
    (updated 01/14/2014)
    List of changes:
    > Made the versions compatible with one another
    >Added more 5 heroes
    >Made more variants for some units
    >Reduced narcissism
    >Reduced AI spam of heroes
    >ALL FACTIONS can recruit the heroes, Major and Minor(including Gaul paid $10 3mb content) in ANY SETTLEMENT.
    >Added Hero generals the AI is likely to use.
    >Crapload of bugfixes
    >ADDED CUSTOM UNIT CARDS! They're not perfect, but they are functional
    >Something else, apparently, which excited many people when I announced it in steam, but can't remember what that was.

Problems that will arise with the new version:
    - IF you are using PREVIOUS VERSIONS it will not be save game compatible, It will crash your current campaign!

Also added links for non-workshop downloaders, WHICHEVER THE REASON YOU HAVE TO NOT USE IT, the versions are included in .rar files with all necessary and optional files.
    Last edited by monoolho; January 14, 2014 at 02:38 PM.

Fixed the more soldiers versions, got some numbers wrong. Reupped and fixed now.

Is it necessary to start a new campaign?

Only if you use any previous versions, if not (if you don't use my mod), it's fine to use on a current campaign.

And how do i get this new soldiers?

In the campaign they are recruitable in any settlement, by any faction, for the humble cost of 1450. In custom battles, you have to enable/subscribe to the related Custom Battle Permission mod together with the mod version you're using, if you downloaded from mediafire or google, it's the _CB modpack (mere ~25 kb)

I dont know what i did wrong but it is not working for me

What happens, precisely? Does it crash in a specific screen or it simply doesn't load the game? What version(s) are you using?

ALright, after finally being able to play and actually test it, I have found that the mods seem to be incompatible with one another during the campaign, it seems they crash at the end of turn... Has anyone had a similar problem? I tried renaming the unit cards and variants. But I may have reached a limit of units during campaing (vanilla + radious + 41 x 3 [3 versions of my mod] + other unit mods). The AI crashes when they apparently try to recruit my hero units... May also have to do with the likelihood of the AI recruiting the units (cdir_unit_qualities).

I'd pretty much enjoy some help on this, if anyone is willing to.
    Last edited by monoolho; January 15, 2014 at 03:31 PM.

For me doesn't show the new units

They won't show up in custom battles unless you enable the _CB mod together with the mod. They should show up fine in the campaign.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast