Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whiskey, History and a Mad Mans Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish Commentary

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Whiskey, History and a Mad Mans Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish Commentary

Although I'd personally love to see you return to Shogun writing, you should really choose whichever idea motivates and inspires you the most, as that will be the story you'll always want to come back and keep writing. An idea for a story you've been mulling over for a year will usually prove to be more fruitful than one you dreamt up yesterday

It's strange to hear you say that you write for your readers though. Not in a bad way, but that's very the antithesis of myself. I've always written for myself. It's always nice to receive feedback, but I've never really written for an audience; it just goes against how I see writing.
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; July 31, 2014 at 01:26 PM.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Default Re: Whiskey, History and a Mad Mans Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish Commentary

Quote Originally Posted by f0ma View Post
    Although I'd personally love to see you return to Shogun writing, you should really choose whichever idea motivates and inspires you the most, as that will be the story you'll always want to come back and keep writing. An idea for a story you've been mulling over for a year will usually prove to be more fruitful than one you dreamt up yesterday

It's strange to hear you say that you write for your readers though. Not in a bad way, but that's very the antithesis of myself. I've always written for myself. It's always nice to receive feedback, but I've never really written for an audience; it just goes against how I see writing.

You seem to have a habit of misunderstanding/misreading my posts, F0ma.

I never said I just write for others- in fact I write just as much for myself as I do for the reader. For example, if you check out my Great War AAR, that AAR is being written entirely by myself for myself (like Odin sacrificing himself...), as were the two Roman AARs that I actually finished, and my Anglo-Saxon one that is ongoing.

What I want is ideas from my readers, some that I might take into account and some that I might not.

In fact, if you'd like to chat about this shizzle, feel free to PM me or Skype or whatnot and we can philosophise together.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

You seem to believe there are times when I'm not drunk and/or half asleep Cut me some slack though, 'yet it is my readers that I write for' seems pretty open and shut

I did actually add you on steam a while back; always available for the bouncing around of ideas!

You seem to believe there are times when I'm not drunk and/or half asleep Cut me some slack though, 'yet it is my readers that I write for' seems pretty open and shut

I did actually add you on steam a while back; always available for the bouncing around of ideas!

Damn, you got me there!

Okay, I'll expand on that somewhat...

What I mean is that readership, on TWC at least, is very important for a writer; while I do agree that writing for yourself is nevertheless important, without the readers stories start to become somewhat irrelevant.

As I say though, I do write very much for myself, and most of my stuff is for myself, but I like to 'research' what the readers might like to read- setting wise, at least .

Anyway, I'll give you this one, so apologies if I sounded a bit snappy.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

I do see where you're coming from yes. This is the first writing community I've really been apart of, in about seven plus years of active internet 'publishing'. The atmosphere is great, but I enjoy the general camaraderie with other writers in general, regardless of whether or not we've read each other's stories. There are people I correspond with on a day to day basis whose writing I've never read and who I don't believe have read mine either; yet we still have a friendly and productive relationship. As I say, I can see where you're coming from though. I was/still sort of half-am a contributor to a history forum, but the fact that no one had any interest in the kind of history I research drove me away. Writing, or non-academic writing I should perhaps say, is a tad different, since this is the first platform I've ever really had much response on. Since I was 14 or so, posting work to the internet, feedback was always negligible, yet that never deterred me, since writing for me is kind of half catharsis and half showing off to myself, for lack of a better word. If I can unburden myself on my writing and feel proud of what I've written, that's all I need to feel accomplished. To this day there's work I don't post here; namely my long-suffering novel and most of my new poetry, which all exists elsewhere to little acclaim. Although I haven't touched my novel in a while, I'm quite active in posting poetry. Yet the kind of poetry I write is written only for myself, inasmuch that nobody else could probably understand it. Well it's always nice to hear people's interpretations, I'd happily be adding to my oeuvre without that. At the end of the day, readership is a nice little bonus - the cherry on the top - rather than what really drives me to write.

But now I'm just chatting about myself on your blog! I'll shut up now

...At the end of the day, readership is a nice little bonus - the cherry on the top - rather than what really drives me to write.

But now I'm just chatting about myself on your blog! I'll shut up now

That's very true! And it's groovy, F0ma-cat, I've got no problem with you posting here. It's as good a place as any methinks. What is your Steam username, by the by? I likely have added you, I just have no idea what you are.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Everyone is always so confused when I add them It'll be so much easier when I finally get around to changing my name on here. It's qkhitai

Oh please please go back to your shogun 2 aars or the one about the Haradrim I really loved that one.

I think you both bring up great points about the motivation behind writing. I myself write a lot for myself to begin with but once I'm in the middle of a story I'll write for the readers as well and especially the people who have taken time out of their day to comment and give me feedback.

This might be bordering on loopy and the tests I took as a child were inconclusive but when I'm really engrossed in a story I'll even write for my characters. Because without an author the characters can't do anything and by writing i feel like I'm breathing life into them. Like I really want to continue my own AAR because I feel I owe it to Yuki to do so.

Anyway that's my loopy part done and I hope you both have a good weekend( or whatever time it is whenever you live

Cheers,
    Merchant of Venice

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

That's not loopy at all In the best stories, the characters write themselves and take on personalities of their own, to the point where you as the writer might feel you've lost complete control over the whole thing That's when you know you're on the right track!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Happy holidays friend! Looking forward to your glorious return next year!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

McScottish, I like your thoughtful post on parallels between Maori culture in New Zealand and pre-Roman cultures in the British isles - very thought-provoking!

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    McScottish, I like your thoughtful post on parallels between Maori culture in New Zealand and pre-Roman cultures in the British isles - very thought-provoking!

Why thank you, Alwyn. Being here, it has very often crossed my mind, as well as the lot of the Pakeha Maori (basically Europeans that were inherited by Maori, or more-or-less became Maori themselves.) And has given much rise to ideas and writings of my own based on such, a few thousand years back in Europe though.

Oh, and just for comedy purposes, there are actually people that believe the Keltic, or slightly pre-Keltic peoples, came to NZ and were then attacked and massacred by the invading Maori! Interesting, yes. Evidence, none really.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Daughters have been locked up. Cider mills notified. There was going to be a parade as well, but there weren't enough commemoratory kilts to go around, so we scrapped it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitai de Bodemloze View Post
    Daughters have been locked up. Cider mills notified. There was going to be a parade as well, but there weren't enough commemoratory kilts to go around, so we scrapped it.
    Aw shucks! You shouldn't have, but when I get writing I'm sure you'll be glad that you did.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    T-minus four days and counting [...] Look for me on the 25th, on the 25th...look to the forums!
    'Look for my coming on the fifth day' ... that sounds familiar ... somehow, I feel as if I should be fighting a desperate battle against a horde of Orcs

Looking forward to reading your AARs!

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Quite the funny and interesting update McScottish. And hey, I learned something. I have to admit I never knew that those tattoos were of Maori origin. Around here they're just known as "tribal" tattoos and just like you said, lots of blokes have them around here too. And the guys who have them, well lets just say their knowledge of the Maori would be limited to "they're from in New Zealand". Not to say that I know an awful lot about Maori culture but the "tribal" tattoo is often mocked because it is seen as getting a tattoo for the sake of having a tattoo.

One thing I will say is that I've never seen anyone with this tattoo on their face, which I think is what you were referring to. For instance, one of my friends has these tattoos covering all of his chest and shoulders. He's by far and away the most creative and committed as everyone else I've seen goes with the "tribal" tattoo on the outside of their calf muscle which is so common that it is mocked even further for getting a tattoo for the sake of having a tattoo.

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    Quite the funny and interesting update McScottish. And hey, I learned something. I have to admit I never knew that those tattoos were of Maori origin. Around here they're just known as "tribal" tattoos and just like you said, lots of blokes have them around here too. And the guys who have them, well lets just say their knowledge of the Maori would be limited to "they're from in New Zealand". Not to say that I know an awful lot about Maori culture but the "tribal" tattoo is often mocked because it is seen as getting a tattoo for the sake of having a tattoo.

One thing I will say is that I've never seen anyone with this tattoo on their face, which I think is what you were referring to. For instance, one of my friends has these tattoos covering all of his chest and shoulders. He's by far and away the most creative and committed as everyone else I've seen goes with the "tribal" tattoo on the outside of their calf muscle which is so common that it is mocked even further for getting a tattoo for the sake of having a tattoo.

Close, my friend of the Emerald Isle, but only half points for you.

The picture I put up is of a rather important Maori elder, who just happens to be in possession of a Ta Moko facial tatt which, if done on a Pakeha or outsider, would probably get them beaten up in NZ - thus no white person is stupid enough to even contemplate it...I'd gladly get one, and there have been whites that have gotten full facial tatts after being adopted by Maori tribes, but in this day and age it would be a very bad idea for anyone but a Maori.

What I was actually referring to are all the Polynesian-influenced designs - commonly half sleeves, full fleeves, on the torso and so forth, though I've thankfully seen very few on the legs around here (a place many islanders do mark themselves) - including Tongan, Samoan, Hawaiian, Fijian, Maori and so forth. They all go uynder the umbrella term of 'Polynesian' AKA Polynesian Islands because most are a jumbled heap of various designs torn from differing but not amazingly dissimiliar island cultures.

As I said, pretty much like me finding out the 'war paint' designs of some Native American tribes - regardless of differences - and colouring my face and body with a multitude of them.

Now don't get me twisted, I have nothing against people who like the look of these markings...okay, maybe just a little...but I mostly just hate that it is the next 'fad'.

If the Brythonic tribes had survived, or at least lasted longer, we might have been able to have our own damned tribal markings but oooooooh no!

The Romanii had to come along and mess it all up, so now we need to steal someone elses cultural heritage.

Why not just use Skythian/Kurgan designs? At least they're long dead!

All-in-all, it is lack of knowledge that irks me the most; I have a Maori-based tatt, but I at least spent a year getting to know both Maori and white NZ culture, I know what it is that I've got painted into my skin, and I got it carved in there with a needle for a specific purpose. Hell, if even half of these folk knew what the Hell they had on them, where it came from, and the people who originally bought them into life, then I would be so much happier.

For reference, here is an example of Maori art from the company that did my own, Zealand Tattoo in Christchurch:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

While here is more general 'Polynesian' body art, please not the difference(s):

Many people do decide to have a blending of both because...why not! Not like they're any different, is it?

In the future, I'm going to have markings like these guys!

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Ahahahaha, I loved the outburst, my friend!

I think "pasty white muppets" has become my favourite line ever conceived and written.

To be fair, I think most of them DO honestly get the tattoos without any knowledge of symbolism at all. A friend of mine did the exact same thing as the "pasty white muppets" because it looked "amazing and unique"
    I can't argue with it, except she had no knowledge of any of the symbolism.

Sadly it may be sometime before I get a tattoo, as my mother would possibly eviscerate me. But I'd probably do something that has meaning to me or interests me, something I have knowledge on. I'll still, however, count as a "white muppet" due to my complexion thanks to the ginger hair

Thanks

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Quote Originally Posted by Tigellinus View Post
    But I'd probably do something that has meaning to me or interests me, something I have knowledge on.

As long as this holds true, then you could be as pale and red-headed as any good Irishman, and I would still support you!

I'd get a tattoo of a Pictish marking (from the standing stones), or perhaps even one from the mummified Skythian they dug up, but if I did I would make damned sure I knew as much about them as possible.

Want to get a marking/tattoo? Go for it! If it's something obvious, like hearts or a pirate ship, that's cool...might look good...but there are some that, even if - like the Maori influenced tatts - they are not actual markings with meaning(s), you should at least have an idea of where they come from without just going "it looked cool, look at the swirly bits, yea, I'm cool now because of this 'warrior' stuff, yea!"

Eh, don't get me started...again.

P.S.

I'm as much a white muppet as yourself, I just enjoy people getting some knowledge; as a Kiwi, I'd expect you to have more than most on such matters. Even if you are a foreign invader!

Good to see you back mon ami and I hope you're having a good time doing whatever you crazy Scots do on St Andrew's Day!

I can understand you're struggle with working out what path you should follow because while I'm not quite at that point yet, I can see it on the horizon, just a little dot for now but slowly getting closer. I wish you the best in collecting every inch of cash needed for your future and deciding what that future will be.

Also, many props for referencing the Clash.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast