Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rome 2 season files found

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rome 2 season files found

Quote Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
    It's a question of is it worth it, financially and manpower-wise, to actually do that? Changing the campaign to 2/4TPY is easy, sure, but unless you also readjust the build/train/tech rates - what's the point? So you can finish everything by turn 300 and then spend 300-900 turns without being able to build or research anything? Do you add more buildings/tech to 2/4TPY campaigns? And if so, how is that fair to people who play on 1TPY?

Not to mention the graphical/memory issues with changing seasons on that huge map. Would you prefer a game that has a smooth campaign map, but 1TPY, or a 2/4TPY where the map runs at single digit frames everytime the seasons change?
    It took me like an hour to adjust the build times, research times, and recruitment times to match 4TPY.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    It took me like an hour to adjust the build times, research times, and recruitment times to match 4TPY.
    True, but this is a company we're talking about - nothing ever runs smoothly in the corporate world.

Citizen

Blog Entries

I bet a CA employee could have it done in less time than it took me. And that was my first time editing a DB table.

So yeah, there's not much manpower involved with that.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.

It's a question of is it worth it, financially and manpower-wise, to actually do that? Changing the campaign to 2/4TPY is easy, sure, but unless you also readjust the build/train/tech rates - what's the point? So you can finish everything by turn 300 and then spend 300-900 turns without being able to build or research anything? Do you add more buildings/tech to 2/4TPY campaigns? And if so, how is that fair to people who play on 1TPY?
    ah yes, modders did it alone.
    so there goes your argument straight to the toilet.
    lol whats the difference? its not like anything special happens at year 30 BC why would it matter how fast it comes or goes?

Not to mention the graphical/memory issues with changing seasons on that huge map. Would you prefer a game that has a smooth campaign map, but 1TPY, or a 2/4TPY where the map runs at single digit frames everytime the seasons change?
    yea... we are calling .

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    ah yes, modders did it alone.
    so there goes your argument straight to the toilet.
    lol whats the difference? its not like anything special happens at year 30 BC why would it matter how fast it comes or goes?
    If nothing special happens at 30BC, why does it matter if it takes 1TPY, 2TPY, or 4TPY then?
    And if modders can do it, why does CA need to do it? If you really want 2TPY/4TPY you can do it that way. Why would CA have to use up money and time to do it themselves for something that small?

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by LordInvictus View Post
    4 seasons per turn = 1200 turn campaign
    2 seasons per turn = 600 turn campaign
    Do you really have that much time to play?
    LOL! You have time to conquer with EACH faction around 70% of the map but you cannot have 2tpy?!?

PFF! Christ! It is not about the number of turns, it is about the level of immersion!!!
    You will NEVER play until the turns end but you wished your cool general did not die so quick he did not reach to be Imperator!
    Why would CA have to use up money and time to do it themselves for something that small?
    My God, you are puzzling my mind! You make no sense! There is no logic in what you say!
    Following that reasoning, why would they waste time with balancing some silly stats for something as small as units? Christ, sometimes you do NOT think before you respond.
    Last edited by Petroniu; December 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
    RTWRM - back to basics

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

because that are Basic things to do,implementing options.they had 40% more budget for rome2.so money shoud not be the problem and with that man ours to pay.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Petroniu View Post
    My God, you are puzzling my mind! You make no sense! There is no logic in what you say!
    Following that reasoning, why would they waste time with balancing some silly stats for something as small as units? Christ, sometimes you do NOT think before you respond.
    I say that about a lot of people on this forum.
    Because those units are ESSENTIAL to the gameplay - TPY are not. The unit's stats have a direct impact on the way the game plays and is balanced. The TPY do not at all - it's just a cosmetic thing.
    Oh, right, also if you change TPY, you have to adjust the general/agent EXP accordingly to account for their longer lifespan: it should after all take longer to reach rank 2, if they have 4 turns a year instead of 1.

If nothing special happens at 30BC, why does it matter if it takes 1TPY, 2TPY, or 4TPY then?
    And if modders can do it, why does CA need to do it? If you really want 2TPY/4TPY you can do it that way. Why would CA have to use up money and time to do it themselves for something that small?
    I dont need to replace generals every 5 seconds and I can have seasons.
    thats why.

Citizen

Blog Entries

I say that about a lot of people on this forum.
    Because those units are ESSENTIAL to the gameplay - TPY are not. The unit's stats have a direct impact on the way the game plays and is balanced. The TPY do not at all - it's just a cosmetic thing.
    Oh, right, also if you change TPY, you have to adjust the general/agent EXP accordingly to account for their longer lifespan: it should after all take longer to reach rank 2, if they have 4 turns a year instead of 1.
    Trust me, vanilla Exp works fine with 4TPY. I got level 5-6 generals before they died, and I had level 10 agents. I had never even gotten close to that with vanilla.

Senator

I just get Hannibal Barca that dies in a few turns or get 5 other guys with almost exactly the same name.
    nothing special. it is completely pointless.
    there only were about a dozen names that Carthaginian noble families gave their male children - and Carthaginians had no second name, so that's not really inaccurate.

I think there should be 2 or 4 turns per year and seasons though, so you have generals long enough for them to do anything much

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

The problem is not to have db files but to have mechanisms (functions/scripts) to use them.

The other problem is the size of the map.
    I don't mean geographically, but file size and dimensions.

As CA has focused on graphics, they have created highly detailed map, this means big files.
    So, using a poorly optimized game engine, it could be, finally, hardly possible to add even graphic elements to represent a second season.
    If this is true, the problem is deeper than a bad game optimization or even design. This is a design choice failure.
    If this is true, this means they have considered more important to increase graphic detail level instead of adding some depth to the gameplay.

But the same is true with animations and many other design choices, focusing on graphic details instead of gameplay.

If true, again, this is a very bad news for modding, as modding and game optimization are rarely friends.
    Last edited by wangrin; December 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

It's quite contradictory to call the reason for CA not implementing seasons BS, the issue with memory, but also criticize the campaign turn times for being too long or the campaign map not running smoothly.
    Last edited by PointOfViewGun; December 10, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
    The Armenian Issue

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tyso3 View Post
    Unfortunately now that they are being released as a pay to play dlc, It would be illegal to release a mod unlocking seasons.

Too bad someone didnt mod this 3 months ago
    Not true, there is a mod that unlocks all of the factions of which some are the ones that CA have and will release as a DLC.

Rafkos's Avatar Senator

Not true, there is a mod that unlocks all of the factions of which some are the ones that CA have and will release as a DLC.
    Not really, it is impossible to unlock factions that are available in DLCs, it's secured somewhere in the game's code.

Would you prefer a game that has a smooth campaign map, but 1TPY, or a 2/4TPY where the map runs at single digit frames everytime the seasons change?

Who cares about FPS when loading next turn?
    Its the overall turn time that needs to be short enough, and even with 1TPY we had overly long turn time at the game release. CA must optimize their game so that it would also work with 2/4TPY, if they want a solid game. We arent going to do all the heavy lifting for them.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

You are all wasting your breath and just elevating nonsense arguments by even addressing them....

Some people think glowing arcade turds are real fun, and should be played as fast as possible. You'll never change their mind, and so you're only giving them more chances to derail every discussion (their goal) by constantly engaging them.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    You are all wasting your breath and just elevating nonsense arguments by even addressing them....

Some people think glowing arcade turds are real fun, and should be played as fast as possible. You'll never change their mind, and so you're only giving them more chances to derail every discussion (their goal) by constantly engaging them.
    However Dago, you have to realize that it happens on both sides of the argument. If someone says something good about Rome II chances are someone is going to try to derail the discussion. If someone says something bad about Rome II, chances are someone is going to try to derail the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Petroniu View Post

Yeah with all due respect sometimes Krisslanza lad you really......:

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenTotalWar View Post
    These were probably recently uncovered because they were recently added.
    no they werent recently added, the tables have been there since the start. I back up my data_rome2 files and have looked in the pre patch 2 pack and seasons tables is there

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123