Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rome 2 season files found

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Rome 2 season files found

Quote Originally Posted by Rasic View Post
    Do you really even finish the 300 turn campaign? So does this point matter at all?
    My only completed campaign as Parthia takes about 320 turns to finish. It's blooding long though and I'm only halfway through my second campaign which already took around 200 turns.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Those season files have been there, just like many other db files from previous titles. There are entries for America (Empire) and family tree entries from shogun. There are even still unit tags that refer to shogun factions and unit types.

Most of these db files are inactive leftovers from previous titles.

The main limitation that will always be a problem for making seasons is loading a new campaign map for every turn change. The campaign map is very large and would require an entirely new map for each season. I don't think this will be moddable anytime soon.
    So many legacy tables, and that one looks exactly the same as Shogun 2 bar the extra none entry (S2 seasons image below) and was in the Rome 2 release version exactly as it is now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails seasons.JPG  
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

Lionheart11's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    who plays for that long anyways?
    the old arguments, and I was big pro 1tpy advocate argued that with historical characters, family legacy, traits and most importantly historical events it makes no sense to increase the tpy.

however none of the things I mentioned above even exist or are completely ed compared to previous TW games.
    so how long it takes for a tpy or whether we can play that long doesn't matter in the slightest.

we still have nameless generals, there are no historical events, the family doesn't exist and historical characters are just some names.
    I have yet to see a hannibal Barca model, custom icon appearing in an interesting manner in my game.

I just get Hannibal Barca that dies in a few turns or get 5 other guys with almost exactly the same name.
    nothing special. it is completely pointless.

we might as well have more tpy and seasons.
    Tell me about it, i just had cleopatra turn up as some agent, stared at 28 yo, few turns later she was 48, old, ugly and just about dead with absolutely no impact on the game at all.
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

TW RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart11 View Post
    Tell me about it, i just had cleopatra turn up as some agent, stared at 28 yo, few turns later she was 48, old, ugly and just about dead with absolutely no impact on the game at all.
    yea and it just kills me to even have to say that!

here is what I though would happen:

it would be your family that played the role of General, from father to son the SOME traits would be inherited.
    I would have to carefully manage my family members so that when they get old they go back to the capital and do my politics for me while the younger ones are off to war.

THATS what I imagined would happen.

I even though some random historical character's would pop up with a custom portrait and background with unique traits and so on.
    I though there would be an event where the actual Hannibal Barca spawns with a host in Spain or Italy hell bent on coming after Rome.

Yea I know this is a sandbox game but we have had it before in both Rome and Medieval and scripted events are some of the funnest intrigues in the game.
    they could be made random if what you fear is repetition.

however it seems I grossly underestimated Mike Simpson and his creativity.
    a ing rock would have better and more ideas than he and his team seem to have though up.

LordInvictus's Avatar Semisalis
    In California in the USA on Earth in the Solar System in the Milky Way

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    Sorry but these are just non-arguments. Debated once upon a time and decided upon 10 years ago when Rome I was released. 1 turn per year is a toddler's game and it has bad consequences across the board from immersion, to character development, to trait and ancillary uselessness, to movement ranges that are absurdly long allowing for what leans toward mindless, spammy gameplay. Unless you prefer that in which case I cannot help.
    I never said 1tpy was good. I was responding to another post that said 300 turns is enough. I like 4tpy campaigns, but I don't have enough time to be able to play it fully (Shogun 2's technology was so tedious since the lower half of the tree takes over 10 turns)

I never, out from any totalwar game, thought about getting to the last turn. The moar, the marry her. hehe

Lionheart11's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    yea and it just kills me to even have to say that!

here is what I though would happen:

it would be your family that played the role of General, from father to son the SOME traits would be inherited.
    I would have to carefully manage my family members so that when they get old they go back to the capital and do my politics for me while the younger ones are off to war.

THATS what I imagined would happen.

I even though some random historical character's would pop up with a custom portrait and background with unique traits and so on.
    I though there would be an event where the actual Hannibal Barca spawns with a host in Spain or Italy hell bent on coming after Rome.

Yea I know this is a sandbox game but we have had it before in both Rome and Medieval and scripted events are some of the funnest intrigues in the game.
    they could be made random if what you fear is repetition.

however it seems I grossly underestimated Mike Simpson and his creativity.
    a ing rock would have better and more ideas than he and his team seem to have though up.
    I dont mean to de-rail my own thread and get side tracked but i hear you, I thought Mark Anthony could get hitched with cleopatra as some sort of alliance with Rome and we could replay or even alter history. This game offers nothing to history, infact it makes a joke of it..sadly.

Back on topic, i was unsure what these files was because im no mod, so thank for the enlightenment.
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

TW RIP

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    My only completed campaign as Parthia takes about 320 turns to finish. It's blooding long though and I'm only halfway through my second campaign which already took around 200 turns.

What I was trying to get at with that is throwing out a number like 1200 turns to say most will never reach that amount when, if steam stats can be at least partially trusted, we know that most people, in fact the majority of people, haven't even reached the 300 turn mark yet in any of their campaigns. I would be included in that crowd even though I've come pretty close.

Pacing is just a matter of preference really in my opinion and should of been included in settings, along with seasons. Now the idea that it was cut for budget/time/memory concerns I can swallow a little better as those are apparant in every aspect of the game. Still doesn't seem right to me how it's being sold back in a non-complete form however, but I guess that is better left to the other threads on the subject.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

well this is good news. :3

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Medina's Avatar Miles

Lol, I would never buy a season DLC. They can @#$$%$ themselves. Serious.

@CA, you've done a great job making sure I never pay one cent for your games!

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I actually got a small smile going on when I read the title, then it was gone as soon as I read the post by dresden damn
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by LordInvictus View Post
    4 seasons per turn = 1200 turn campaign
    2 seasons per turn = 600 turn campaign
    Do you really have that much time to play?
    thats why short campaign option is great thing

but they removed it because of Tim Heaton metacritic analysis

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

C'mon , really...there is a database table for seasons, and what ? ...very likely the leftover from Shogun 2.
    Medival II carried more than one leftover from Rome....it doenst mean anything at this point
    The database table for seasons doesnt makes them functional since you need the graphical map presentations as well and
    seasons effect tables otherwise its just nonsense

as for beign a campaign 600 or 1200 turns...lets get real...this is not an option for a commercial product which is expected to sell to a more casual audience too...this is only hardcore gamers stuff and should be mods territory.

About three years ago I made a a real challenging standalone roman campaign with beefy garrison script and other nasty surprises for Roma Surrectum II (link in Sig.) and expanded the timeframe to 180 AD which made the game a total of 638 turns...that was about the maximum I would be prepared to play but then...a total no-go for most others let alone a more casual gamer so the entire disucussion about more turns per year is somewhat besides the point since the actual gamedesign would not allow for more TPY without making the game unappealing to a broader public...
    Last edited by chris10; December 10, 2013 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordInvictus View Post
    4 seasons per turn = 1200 turn campaign
    2 seasons per turn = 600 turn campaign
    Do you really have that much time to play?
    What s your problem man ? You Can win in 100 turns, so what ? you will nightmares because other players can or want to play more longer ?
    RTW 1 fan - betrayed, disillusioned, disgusted with Rome 2.
    My thematic camping project on autonomy ==> http://www.camping-la-ressource.fr/

The "game pace too long" argument has been debated for a long time, and I see no viable argument from the pro-1TPY side where you obviously have no advantage of having a shorter campaign because it only mean you will have characters dying too fast. Those who cares about completing the main objectives as fast as possible can stay 1TPY, but I dont think its a large part of the TW player population.

As for the "memory problem", has anyone really measured how impossible it would have been to have 4 different maps for the 4 different seasons, being loaded at each next turn ? I can concede that, seeing how they optimized the graphics, it would not be a wise choice to try to add seasonal mapping, but its not my problem if CA is incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by Butan View Post
    The "game pace too long" argument has been debated for a long time, and I see no viable argument from the pro-1TPY side where you obviously have no advantage of having a shorter campaign because it only mean you will have characters dying too fast. Those who cares about completing the main objectives as fast as possible can stay 1TPY, but I dont think its a large part of the TW player population.

As for the "memory problem", has anyone really measured how impossible it would have been to have 4 different maps for the 4 different seasons, being loaded at each next turn ? I can concede that, seeing how they optimized the graphics, it would not be a wise choice to try to add seasonal mapping, but its not my problem if CA is incompetent.
    RTW managed two seasons very well utilising hardware several generations ago so to think that it isn't possible to do four seasons on a somewhat larger map now baffles me.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

In all my Tw games from the first Shogun, I never played to the campaign `win` date, i guess it`s my personality, but I play until i win or until i`m wiped out. Why should I stop because of some unrealistic forced Time limit? I`ve always appreciated CA for allowing the game to contune forever as long as the Player`s faction remains alive. now all this talk of 1tpy to make things shorter or quicker is simply pandering to the impatient console-crowd and it`s not a good thing. Impatient people can stop whenever they get bored. Don`t ruin the game (oh wait they have) because of it.

Exactly. Al this talk is in my view, smoke and mirrors that suit CA and their apologits and gives CA an excuse to do nothing. CA CAN do it if they had the will... or they`re incompetent, one or the other. It`s their vaunted warscape engine.

Quote Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
    To be fair the Rome 2 campaign is actually endless. They just didn't do 2/4TPY due to the memory issues with changing seasons on such a huge map, and that even if the game is endless, it still is "expected" to take place over a 300 year period. They didn't want to pace the game around it being 600 or 1200 turns long, as that's pretty insane - imagine only being 300 turns into your game and that's only "half" way to winning as expected via pacing.
    What about ing option ??????

You want to play 1TPY campaigne? OK here is an option.

You want to play 2 or 4 TPY campaigne? OK here is an option.

Are you that blind in defending CA and can't see that Sega forced them to put minimum effort for maximum profit (if as customer you are ok with it then you are insane and deserve to be treated like crap and to work as coffe boy or something like that) or you want to force everyone in playing what you find amusing.

Darth_Revan's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Pajkes View Post

Are you that blind in defending CA and can't see that Sega forced them to put minimum effort for maximum profit (if as customer you are ok with it then you are insane and deserve to be treated like crap and to work as coffe boy or something like that) or you want to force everyone in playing what you find amusing.
    Having multiple options is not a bad idea. Modders have shown that it is not difficult to change the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Pajkes View Post

It's a question of is it worth it, financially and manpower-wise, to actually do that? Changing the campaign to 2/4TPY is easy, sure, but unless you also readjust the build/train/tech rates - what's the point? So you can finish everything by turn 300 and then spend 300-900 turns without being able to build or research anything? Do you add more buildings/tech to 2/4TPY campaigns? And if so, how is that fair to people who play on 1TPY?

Not to mention the graphical/memory issues with changing seasons on that huge map. Would you prefer a game that has a smooth campaign map, but 1TPY, or a 2/4TPY where the map runs at single digit frames everytime the seasons change?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast