Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single Unit Heroes

Default Single Unit Heroes

Hello,

Ever since I played the original Rome I have always wanted to have certain 1 man units in the total war series. There would be heroes of ancient myths, units who fought alone and were near invincible (still defeat-able).

Now, for Rome 1, after searching I concluded that the only potential way to do something like this was to edit the unit files themselves, and I had already heard of things screwing up when messing around with those files.

My question is this: Are there any mods out there that allow for a 1 man unit? More specifically, one for The Third Age? I kind of dislike the idea of having to use heroes with a big group of body guards.

Also, would changing these generals via editing the files myself potentially cause any issues? I would only be changing the number of bodyguards a "general" has, as well as their health and armor stats, so that they don't die quickly.

Default Re: Single Unit Heroes

There is one way but it is currently bugged. The character starts as a one man unit but increases to a three man unit after awhile. I believe it has something to do with authority and its affect on bodyguard numbers but I haven't had time to look into it yet let alone try to fix it. It is on the "to do list."

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Those two other men can be invisible and made so ridiculously weak they die the moment the enemy touches them though?
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Yup, that is easy to do if I remember right.

Edit: Something to do with giving the unit low HP stats/armor/etc. but giving the character traits and ancillaries which give him bonus HP/armor/etc. I never tried it though, it is a creative solution but too sloppy to be implemented into PCP.
    Last edited by alreadyded; December 09, 2013 at 06:10 AM.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Indeed, though it might look weird in battle when the enemy is hitting at invisible enemies.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Its the best solution I can figure.
    I dont think it would look that weird since the invisible unit would be always near the visible one and would die soon, fighting against a regular unit with regular number of men will make things look good I think.

I still have a feeling that the unit replenishment making units that should be 1 man in 3 is related with the engine mechanism, where units get injured after the battles and then replaced.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Are you sure that the BG's stats can be that much different from the generals?
    Enemies standing hacking down invisible 8 HP blokes would be a silly sight

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

the stats will be the same, except for hitpoints that can be set to 1.

AWRA's Avatar Libertus

Back in Shogun 1 there was the Kensai - too bad they didn't keep something like that going forward.
    "I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountain-side where he smote it in his ruin."

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    There is one way but it is currently bugged. The character starts as a one man unit but increases to a three man unit after awhile. I believe it has something to do with authority and its affect on bodyguard numbers but I haven't had time to look into it yet let alone try to fix it. It is on the "to do list."
    To be quite honest, having a 3 man unit wouldn't be that bad of a compromise in my opinion... I mean, my main issue is having someone like Gandalf always fighting with a personal guard of 70+ men. However, it's much more immersive for me to have 2 or 3 bodyguard units, especially for certain characters. Single man units would be ideal, but having 2 or 3 bodyguards is still better than vanilla TATW in my opinion.

Any chance of a small mod doing this for all/most of the hero units in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Coastalaxe View Post
    To be quite honest, having a 3 man unit wouldn't be that bad of a compromise in my opinion... I mean, my main issue is having someone like Gandalf always fighting with a personal guard of 70+ men. However, it's much more immersive for me to have 2 or 3 bodyguard units, especially for certain characters. Single man units would be ideal, but having 2 or 3 bodyguards is still better than vanilla TATW in my opinion.

Any chance of a small mod doing this for all/most of the hero units in the game?
    I would imagine all of them do it and there was a small one awhile back by Moneybags14 I think, no idea where it is now.

I plan to fix the bug with one man units when I find the time, if I can't I will find a way to give them different bodyguard units than the characters model. The trouble is Sauron, etc. are "elephant" units as far as the game is concerned so you have to do some creative coding and model assignments to make it happen. I do know how to make it happen though as I have had to do similar things with PCP's creatures to get more than 500 units in the edu.
    Last edited by alreadyded; December 10, 2013 at 03:13 AM.

Yeah, I did some research and as far as I can tell, one of the newer patches for TATW includes a "one man unit fix" for Sauron and the Belrog (human player). Since I've fought the belrog and it had many units, I assume it means that only when the player is controlling the unit is it a one man unit.

I'll do some more research to try and find some mod that limits more of the hero units. Couldn't find Moneybag's mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastalaxe View Post
    Yeah, I did some research and as far as I can tell, one of the newer patches for TATW includes a "one man unit fix"
    Forgot to mention that in the patch notes the fix is attributed to Moneybags14, which is how I found out.

Won't the defence animation render a hero with minimal BG (invisible or not) more or less completely useless from a practical viewpoint? (Non-elephant concerned)
    Last edited by Ngugi; December 10, 2013 at 06:03 AM.

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Won't the defence animation render the hero more or less completely useless from a practical viewpoint?
    Elephant units like Sauron have no defense or "knocked back" animation. Other units like Aragorn, Gandalf, etc. do but there is a way to make them attack faster (or rather start their attack animations faster) so that they are not constantly getting "knocked back" without a chance to counter-attack.
    Last edited by alreadyded; December 10, 2013 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Won't the defence animation render a hero with minimal BG (invisible or not) more or less completely useless from a practical viewpoint? (Non-elephant concerned)
    would still be great to hold keypoints like the bridges in imladris and similar. well... at least with some archers and so on in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrorgnom View Post
    would still be great to hold keypoints like the bridges in imladris and similar. well... at least with some archers and so on in the back.
    Ya... it is important to remember that one man units are not one man armies. You will still need to back them up with troops or they will get overwhelmed. Changing that would just be unrealistic and silly.

@ alreadyded
    Yeah, that sounds like it could work, to a degree at least (how it may be enhanced so it don't look silly I leave to you who have the know-how )

@ in general
    The thing is that when a soldier is attacked he make a defensive animation, and when attacking obviously an attack animation.
    If a 'hero' is a unit that contain say 4 soldiers in total it would be outnumbered in about any situation. Being outnumbered the soldiers would be constantly attacked by the foes, and the hero [and his BGs] would get stuck in defensive animations, or they would die fast. They would never be able to make attacks themselves, thus becoming punching bags who do not manage to kill the enemy until at end they been beaten so much they die.
    That's a reason why it's problematic to make to small units of Elves or Dwarves as sometimes is requested, since however OP they would be in stats, in a battle they would be unable to actually kill their foes in ongoing melee, and lose.
    At end it would make the hero a funny feat to see walk around alone, but he would be made quite impotent as a force on the battlefield unless to take beating, or charge and run á la cavalry with the disadvantage that he would not be able to hit very many foes (being a minimal unit) before he would need to run out of the fray again.

Couldn't you counter that by making his defensive action very swiftly or by giving him some sort of counter attack option?

Quote Originally Posted by manekemaan View Post
    Couldn't you counter that by making his defensive action very swiftly or by giving him some sort of counter attack option?
    Yes but that would require adding new or at least editing old animations, something very few people know how to do. I could do it but it is easier and less time consuming to just make the currently used counter-attack kick in faster by editing the edu. You could also do both to make one man units slaughter whole armies! But I wouldn't waste my time doing such a thing (though I think I already did awhile back just to test it).
    Last edited by alreadyded; December 10, 2013 at 09:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast