Thread: Battle of Leuctra 371BC

Default Battle of Leuctra 371BC

I just thought I would post a thread hear to make everyone aware of a new historical battle which I have made and posted int the dowload section.

Link: Battle of Leuctra 371BC

I've used Thrace to represent Thebes and Sparta uses the Greek City States.

I was hoping someone could give me some comments on it. I'll put up some screenshots soon to give an Idea of what it looks like in action.

Default Re: Battle of Leuctra 371BC

Do you have any screenshots?

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

can it work with mods like rtr ?
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

Just fixed a couple of problems with the old files so the download should now work with RTW 1.5/1.6 (and other versions I should imagine)

Im just about to post screen shots.

Shazbot's Avatar grant woodgrain grippin

Yeah, I think I want to see it before I download it.

Here we go

Heres what the battle looks like before the action starts

When the battle begins the cavalry forces from both sides, who are out in advance of their lines, will charge each other. But because the Theban cavalry is superior (historicaly accurate) the spartan cavlry will soon be routed. Once this has happened the Spartan peltasts will be released and the Spartitiates on the the Spartan right flank will advance.

To win, it is imperitive that the player defeats the spartiates before the Spartan allied hoplites begin their attack. If the player fails to do this the Thebans will be easily steam-rollered. If the player manages to completly destroy the Spartiates then the allies will suffer a huge weapon, armour and experience penalty; making them far easier to beat. Its only a matter of defeating a further five allied hoplites, the rest will rout and the Thebans will win the day!

the battle in action (the spartan skins are not in the download but can be found somewhere in the downloads section):

This is the Theban army. Had to make the unit cards by hand, did'nt do a bad job though I think:

The Theban Sacred Band, I just used the old Greek officer skin:
    Last edited by MightyMonty; September 29, 2006 at 01:38 PM.

Hi MightyMonty!

Nice Battle and, by the way, I'm glad to see any new historical battle posted here.

Only one little thing annoys me: Your Spartan and Theban "Hoplites" are equipped with Sarissas and fight in the style of the Macedonian Phalanx, invented several years later by Philip II of Macedon. Historically, the should be equipped with a 2-3m long spear (not the 5-7m Sarissa) and fight in the traditional hoplite overhand-style.
    How about a version of your battle for XGM (click my sig)? There you will find already modded Spartan and Theban/Corinthian hoplite units and the correct original hoplite style.
    "Another such victory will utterly undo me"
    - Pyrrhos of Epeiros -
    R A N D O M L I N K

thanks JD.

Just to let you know they're not using Sarrisa (as you rightly say they belong to later Macedonian armies). Its just that they're using the RTW vanilla hoplite fighting style (which as you point out is historically inaccurate)

This can easily fixed by using, for example, SigniferOne's animation pack and giving the hoplites the correct fighting animation.

I love ancient greek warefare and would love to make historical battles for any greek mod

MightyMonty:
    Just to let you know they're not using Sarrisa (as you rightly say they belong to later Macedonian armies). Its just that they're using the RTW vanilla hoplite fighting style (which as you point out is historically inaccurate)
    Yeah, I know. The vanilla fighting style seems to be something between traditional hoplite and macedonian sarissaphoros. The spears are not long enough and held only one-handed.

MightyMonty:
    This can easily fixed by using, for example, SigniferOne's animation pack and giving the hoplites the correct fighting animation.
    Thanks for the info about this. Seems to be already integrated in XGM (as far as I can tell from the anim names, I'm only fan of XGM but no member).

MightyMonty:
    I love ancient greek warefare and would love to make historical battles for any greek mod
    Good to hear that. I think the Spartan Royal Guard and Sacred Band in XGM could replace your custom Spartan and Theban elite units to avoid extra manual editing, as well as the XGM merc hoplite for the other "average" hoplites. Only problem will be to find a new suitable battlefield, because XGM features a custom campaign map, making all vanilla coordinates worthless.
    "Another such victory will utterly undo me"
    - Pyrrhos of Epeiros -
    R A N D O M L I N K

Kallikratis's Avatar Miles

Please, tell me how have you done this historical battle You did this by the battle editor? If so, can you sent me instructions?
    Last edited by Kallikratis; October 02, 2006 at 11:33 AM.

Yeah I used the battle editor and then scripted it with the help of the CA's editing docs (which for some reason are'nt downloadable from the .com anymore, you can check in the support section if you want)

I only learned to script battles four days before I released the battle for download. Impressive me thinks

e-mail me what youd like to know and I'd happly help