Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why does everybody play Bayzantium in Paradox games?

Emperor PooMan's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Why does everybody play Bayzantium in Paradox games?

I agree the HRE one does look snazy, but the Byzantine one is better.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

made a roman empire in the original Vicky.

and in eu3

its a goal for eu4 too when i have time to play it more.

as has been said: its fun to make alternate history. Anyone can make a super power out of France..

not the only alternate history though, in eu3 i made the swahili? faction a global power that owned the entirety of africa, couldnt achieve much more by the end of the game though unfortunately and was smashed in a war or two with europeans by the end heh.

made a global empire out of virianjar? whatever the southern indian faction is called. another from a single state faction in Japan when they released the expansion for the shogunate stuff, and conquered the world as Mecklenburg (forming germany in the process)

steamrolling states as a major power isnt as fun or rewarding as building an empire from humble beginnings

I used to be one of these people but it's annoying as to see people always asking for Roman AARs for that 480AD mod for CK2. People need to lighten up with the ing roman obsession.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    I used to be one of these people but it's annoying as to see people always asking for Roman AARs for that 480AD mod for CK2. People need to lighten up with the ing roman obsession.
    Blame Hannibal for staying in front of Rome and waiting for a damn surrender instead of marching in Rome itself and snatching it from their corpses.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Carach View Post
    made a roman empire in the original Vicky.

and in eu3

its a goal for eu4 too when i have time to play it more.

as has been said: its fun to make alternate history. Anyone can make a super power out of France..

not the only alternate history though, in eu3 i made the swahili? faction a global power that owned the entirety of africa, couldnt achieve much more by the end of the game though unfortunately and was smashed in a war or two with europeans by the end heh.

made a global empire out of virianjar? whatever the southern indian faction is called. another from a single state faction in Japan when they released the expansion for the shogunate stuff, and conquered the world as Mecklenburg (forming germany in the process)

steamrolling states as a major power isnt as fun or rewarding as building an empire from humble beginnings
    Vijayanagara.

because this

Stavros_Kalmpou's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post

because this
    Justinian approves
    For the Sake of Love
    Aristeia Total War AAR as the Trojans. Join in and watch as the Greatest war in history of man begins, a war For the Sake of Love

Started with the Komnenoi 1081 start >_>.
    I'm almost done, just got the casus belli to restore the esarchate of Ravenna then I'll have a final showdown against the Timurids for the lulz. Just got the message they are coming as well.

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

Byzantium, I remember playing EU III vanilla and seeing there was no Byzantium. My response was to research the successor states and I decided the best course of action was to play as Trebizond. So without any way to change culture of any of the provinces that were established I conquered what was the extent of the Ottoman Empire at its height (but as Trebizond) minus the Arabian peninsula beyond the Levant provinces. Then I proceeded to fight everyone in the new world having joined the party late in the 1600's those were the days. I had Greek colonies all over the Americas, Africa and Asia. I had mega inflation and had built all the expensive buildings everywhere, my tax income was huge and I was way behind on tech never to recover but I had a huge army that could smite anyone just from number stacking. Those were the days. Sometimes it is fun to play what if and reverse history. Rome has a more cultural touching point then say what if the basque conquered Spain, or what if the Finns conquered Scandinavia. Everyone has their own interests but Rome was more universal in western culture. Either you want to win as them or defeat them.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

Arto's Avatar Praefectus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I once moved with France to the Greek peninsula and captured key provinces in Asia Minor. Never again.
    Knowledge is a deadly friend, if no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see, is in the hands of fools - King Crimson's Epitaph.
    תחי מדינת ישראל

Kaiser Quanah's Avatar Libertus

I believe that the Medieval Roman Imperial flag was a Chi Rho. After the restoration through the Palaiologos dynasty, this became their flag

Late Medieval/Renaissance Roman Empire flag.

That flag with the two-headed bird is a dynastic shield/coat of arms, not a country flag.

(If I am wrong on anything, please do tell me with proof. )
    Big Iron on his hip

Scarletrose's Avatar Foederatus

Personally, a little bit because of patriotism and a little bit because I find it a great challenge in all historical games I try to unite Italy before it's time. Usually as Venice or if the option is available as Parma.

I never felt the byzantine empire as actually roman. A roman empire has to be based on rome. Wrestling the title of roman empire away from the German HRE and the Greek Byzantines with the added challenge of uniting the italian peninsula under one banner is quite the epic challenge.

Foederatus

Because it's fun to go from such an underdog/almost impossible state. And i do full restore here, Britain and Gaul as well.

Nice bump

Pretty easy.

Rome worship combined with a love of medieval history.

The underlying reason I think, is psychological. Many people who play historical games tend to gravitate towards conservative positions and are naturally attracted to the ideal, glory and power to be found in the traditional authoritarian structure of the imperium, which Byzantium to a large degree represented in the Middle Ages.

Read your Evola, folks.

Personally though I sometimes pick the Byzanblob for two reasons - the notion of recreating something back to health that has been historically in a process of slow, terminal decline appeals to me. And two are those sexy as hell lamellars. Because screw chainmail.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123