Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: What will be the next total war game?

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Default Re: What will the next total war be?

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    I totally dig how people just ignores the blatant realities that you so accurately point out here Dago.... Nope, they carry on here as if your remark/post never ever happened... "I wanna have Smurf-TW [or whatever], I think that would be really fantastic... Hey, lets make [yet] another poll/thread about that!"

- A
    And it continues. Maybe a mod should create a sticky thread in here, with the info that's been posted 100 times already.

Default The Next Total War Game

The next Total War game should be Rome Total War. Rome II is a shallow, unimmersive, and disappointing game. Remake Rome Total War. Its the best setting for a Total War. A new Rome Total War could be soooooo good. Make it.

Default Re: The Next Total War Game

Quote Originally Posted by chemboya View Post
    The next Total War game should be Rome Total War. Rome II is a shallow, unimmersive, and disappointing game. Remake Rome Total War. Its the best setting for a Total War. A new Rome Total War could be soooooo good. Make it.
    And can I bring in my Rome II for Rome III?
    For real: the only one I want to see os a nice bronze age total war.
    1257BC or so
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

LordKainES's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by chemboya View Post
    They should rework this one as much as they can!!! because it is a good game with some details that make it pain!!!

After ROme 2 has been fixed, please do Medieval 3... In new game engine of course...

Hope we can have more 160 men per unit by then...

Enough Romans, Knights and Samurai. Give us some other period to discover, CA.
    The afore-mentioned personage has been marked for honorable execution
    in accordance to the lawful tradition and practice of the Morag Tong Guild.
    The Bearer of this non-disputable document has official sanctioned license
    to kill the afore-mentioned personage.

Vađarholmr's Avatar Archivum Scriptorium
    Content Emeritus

Thread moved to General TW Discussion and Resources.
    {I cook weird stuff}-{Patronised by the fearsome Chloe}
    „[...] ţví ađ međ lögum skal land vort byggja en eigi međ ólögum eyđa.“
    (The Frosta-thing law, 1260)

Is acher in gaíth innocht,
    fu-fuasna fairggae findfolt:
    ní ágor réimm mora minn
    dond láechraid lainn ua Lothlind.

Laetus

I would like to see a Medieval game again but I cannot emphasise enough that I would be happy to wait for a few years than them rush it out. Rome feels limited technically so it is time they learn how to utilise as many cores of a cpu as possible to provide us with an amazingly smooth well coded game.

Earl Dibbles Jr's Avatar Campidoctor
    On a need-to-know basis, and you don't need to know.

Total War: New Engine would be a nice addition.

Default Re: What will be the next total war game?

I've been thinking about this a little bit myself lately, and think I would like to see something set around China, warring dynasties in that region. I don't know a lot about the history of the area personally, just light bits here and there.

I am against another Asia themed Total War, at least until Shogun 2 looks and feels outdated. I think there should be a Total War that spans the Enlightenment period, like Europa Universalis IV does. I basically want to see a campaign where technology is a big aspect, and what you choose to dedicate your state to will create drastic differences later on in game.

I basically want to see a Total War with depth, and less emphasis on the box office graphics. This of course, is derived from my preference for grand strategy over real time strategy, but can't there be a mix?

it should be fun if the next game was set in the 16e an 17e age

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

After Rome II + DLCs + Expansion(s) no longer developed, the next Total War on TW4 engine (hopefully full 64bit) will be Total War : China.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    And it continues. Maybe a mod should create a sticky thread in here, with the info that's been posted 100 times already.
    At the risk of sounding overly pessimistic, I seriously doubt that would do much good, despite being a decent idea. Many of these threads seems to have their origins over at the RTW2-section and get transferred/dumped here when spotted by the moderation over there - this with usually little consideration or thought of what topics are already here in this section. Essentially a glitch in the overall moderation-system and practice, or so it seems. Anyhow, (right or wrong) I have basically come to view threads like this one (and all the other 5000 clones) as a trusty expression of general human stupidity. I mean this thread will in all likelihood be as futile as all the other threads before it, and still it won't be the last of its kind - this despite the fact that "next TW" is already known and declared by CA - as you have pointed out. You just can't fight or reason with that kind of stupidity, can you?

Had this thread actually been the first of its kind, and had the next TW actually been unknown, I would probably say something like.... "I totally don't give a damn... And, my general advice to all is that neither should any of you, as you will only get (more) disappointed otherwise. It can essentially be anything-TW, it won't matter much anyway as CA will probably still screw it all up (somehow) regardless - as experience suggest it."

- A

emotion_name's Avatar Protector Domesticus

But i think your missing the point of General TW Discussion.

You may have seen, and commented, in many of these threads - does that mean its a subject that is now final and closed?

I view this topic along similar lines of talking about the weather, or listing top 5's when having a few beers. Its a cyclical conversation really, one that new people here to TWC can discuss as energetically as others before them have, and one that even members have discussed before can join in on again, maybe viewpoints changed etc. Exactly the same as previous examples i gave, its a discussion that will always happen.

Id suggest, if you find them stupid, dont post in them!

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Quote Originally Posted by emotion_name View Post
    You may have seen, and commented, in many of these threads - does that mean its a subject that is now final and closed?
    Nope, it does not... However it does not mean either that people should start discussing the topic all over again, and again, and again, in yet another thread, again, and again. How about just using the thread that is already dedicated to it, I mean how hard is it? Or the fact that the answer is already known at this point, as Dago pointed out? I think that is equally valid arguments in all this...

I view this topic along similar lines of talking about the weather, or listing top 5's when having a few beers. Its a cyclical conversation really, one that new people here to TWC can discuss as energetically as others before them have, and one that even members have discussed before can join in on again, maybe viewpoints changed etc. Exactly the same as previous examples i gave, its a discussion that will always happen.
    Fair enough... Its a much friendlier, kinder and more optimistic way of looking at these things then I typically do. Anyway, I can understand this kind of view, even if it seems distant to my own. And, evidently you are right in the sense that it is cyclic as it still happens despite the next TW-game is already known. But, how about sticking to one thread and leave it at that? Even if it is a cyclic discussion? Because all these doublets and triplets are just annoying. The worst I seen, if memory serves, was nine incarnations of "next TW"-threads in this very section, at the first page, at the same time (was it 2011? I can't remember). That is another aspect of this topic....

Id suggest, if you find them stupid, dont post in them!
    I guess its tempting to say something like that, I probably would not had it only been one thread in the first place. Or that people (this time) so blatantly ignored what Dago accurately pointed out - the next TW is already known! Ergo, the whole premise for this topic and thread (as defined) is actually non-existent at this point - the answer is already known, and there is no way around that reality - that is, if we are supposed to be rational here. Again, had it been just one thread, and it was "an unknown", it all would strike me as a somewhat less braindead activity (but still futile) - and I would probably settled with the "I totally dont give damn"- remark... Just to make sure, the notion had representation on the boards!

- A

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by MrZanyGaming View Post
    Total War: New Engine would be a nice addition.
    This. The only way to rescue the Total War franchise is when CA makes a new engine which reintroduces unit collision and gets rid of these forced kill moves where only one soldier at a time can attack another. It's awful for melee combat.

A working and challenging AI is another request i have. Arena:Total War, the multiplayer tw sounds like a confession that CA can't get the AI right.
    Also extensive beta-testing is a must to prevent a catastrophic bug infested launch like Empire & Rome II

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    At the risk of sounding overly pessimistic, I seriously doubt that would do much good, despite being a decent idea. Many of these threads seems to have their origins over at the RTW2-section and get transferred/dumped here when spotted by the moderation over there - this with usually little consideration or thought of what topics are already here in this section. Essentially a glitch in the overall moderation-system and practice, or so it seems. Anyhow, (right or wrong) I have basically come to view threads like this one (and all the other 5000 clones) as a trusty expression of general human stupidity. I mean this thread will in all likelihood be as futile as all the other threads before it, and still it won't be the last of its kind - this despite the fact that "next TW" is already known and declared by CA - as you have pointed out. You just can't fight or reason with that kind of stupidity, can you?

Had this thread actually been the first of its kind, and had the next TW actually been unknown, I would probably say something like.... "I totally don't give a damn... And, my general advice to all is that neither should any of you, as you will only get (more) disappointed otherwise. It can essentially be anything-TW, it won't matter much anyway as CA will probably still screw it all up (somehow) regardless - as experience suggest it."

- A
    I agree. My experience tell me that users don't generally read the sticky.

emotion_name's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Hehehe, i must just be turning liberal in my mid life crisis!

I see this sub forum as more of a "Pointless TW Discussion" area, somewhere to chatter aimlessly around TW - a bit like Thema Devia but without the TW part!

That said, the anarchist in me is hoping the OP puts the cat amongst the pigeons and changes thread title to "What will be the next true TW game" (see how bad my mid life crisis is if i view this as anarchistic)

I been weaning myself off TW for awhile now, at least to a stage where i dont hunger over any bits of news or hype anymore, im curious as to what the next TW is then as i dont recall seeing CA announce anything. I know their is Arenas, and Warhammer, but their not true TW!

(Plus, if all the threads like these were merged into a sticky, there wouldnt really be a General TW discussion Area, there would just be a sticky for this, a sticky for fave TW games and a sticky for missing/wanted features)

How come no one even mentioned about total war game placed in the far east? There have been so many total games placed in Europe, another one would be like a toilet paper recycled for the fifth time. Seriously. I think it would be great if they release a total war game that takes place when Temujin (AKA Chinggis khan) is born.
    I propose that the next total war game be Mongol Total War. Reasons for it?
    1. Scale
    The map area. It would be epic, and cover everything not covered so far! Who wants to go back to Europe again? China! The steppes! Russia (properly this time) The Middle East, and the Far East. All these awesome places and their varying topography.
    2. Unit variety
    Rome 1 achieved great unit diversity, but the rest of the total war games didn't have as much diversity. Mongol total war would include so many different factions with different cultures and units.
    3. The epic historical events. you can conquer a Mongol empire bigger than all the previous maps put together, or take the side of the Persian caliphs, and try to hold back the mongol horde as it pours over the mountains. you can fight as the Mameluks and defeat the mongols in the heart of the holy land, or be the defeated Austrian army cowering behind the gates of Vienna waiting for the hammer blow that will never come. you can be the master of the great knights templar, fighting his last stand on the banks a river in Hungary as the great Tsubadai swirls his forces around you. or you can be the Rus prince, desperately trying to defend Moscow from the terror that comes in the night.

The scale of mongol total war could be amazing and the sheer playability of so many armies and situations would last for ever. Shogun 2 is brilliantly detailed, but lacks scope, which is a nice change from the epic empire, but in empire, you are basically always having one line of men shooting at another lie of men, it got dull lets face it. Rome had amazing variety of units and tactics, but the game mechanics couldnt live up to the situation. MTW2 had too much micromanagement, and battles became too frequent, and too irrelevant, you were always fighting on 16 fronts at once with 30 armies and couldnt lose at that point. Mongol can be the best of both worlds, the tactics and unit detail of shogun, the variety of units and armies of Rome, and the scale and epicness of empire all combined a challenge, and genuine risk of losing and of course.

Here are some suggested soundtracks for Mongol total war:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7AS...eature=related
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHGOuPyNnTg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN6c...eature=related