Page 482 of 482 FirstFirst ... 382432457472473474475476477478479480481482
Results 9,621 to 9,638 of 9638

Thread: Crossroads Saloon OOC Chat

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: Crossroads Saloon OOC Chat

Thank you, Pericles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    We don't have rules regarding ransoms, which we should probably make for the next restart (fingers crossed its the Dance) but we cant retroactively make. Without a rule Crakehall can demand whatever he likes, he could be extremely greedy, spiteful or greedy, in this instance its up to Lannister to tell him "no" not the mods.
    We shouldn't make rules to limit player choices with what they can do. Of course it is ridiculous to demand 100%+ of what somewhat makes per year. Let's keep that as an ingame consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    Re: Westerlands

Is a ransom not customary regardless of hostilities? The Geneva Convention doesn't exist in Westeros, it's not like he's entitled to freedom after the war ends under any law. As far as I know feudal nobles always gained freedom by ransom.
    Let me add a corollary. Captured enemy combatants were considered dead in ancient cultures. This legitimized slavery as an institution in these ancient (Greek, Roman, Babylonian) societies. The idea did not survive intact to the medieval era mostly due to the influences of religion. The term "slave" (servus) is derived from a latin word meaning "spared" - as in spared from being killed after a battle. People captured in battle have no rights and for most of history were considered not even to be alive. Fast forward to a medieval context: people might be kept alive for political reasons, to extort money, or something else.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; May 26, 2015 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylord_Conor21 View Post
    Even so, you can't condemned me for not metagaming. By you own logic, dropping the price because of OOC would be metagaming.

I could demand a million bloody Dragons if I wanted to. There is no rule restricting ransoms. Demanding 70k is not a problem a mod need to intervene with. I have every right to set the bar high and get as much cash out of this as I want to.
    I never said anything about you changing the ransom mate. All I stated was that it was ridiculous. This is a completely seperate issue from your earlier exploit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    We don't have rules regarding ransoms, which we should probably make for the next restart (fingers crossed its the Dance) but we cant retroactively make. Without a rule Crakehall can demand whatever he likes, he could be extremely greedy, spiteful or greedy, in this instance its up to Lannister to tell him "no" not the mods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    We shouldn't make rules to limit player choices with what they can do. Of course it is ridiculous to demand 100%+ of what somewhat makes per year. Let's keep that as an ingame consequence.
    Ponit is correct. Ransoms are something that should be done on a reasonable scale but players are free to make a decision as they wish. Let them suffer the ramifications.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Started watching the Starz' miniseries adaptation of Ken Follet's "Pillars of the Earth" again last night.
    I had devoured several 'brownies' beforehand, and I got kind of emotional when at the beginning you see Henry I get told that his only legit heir and son goes down in a shipwreck.

Pillars of the Earth is pretty good, for anyone who's never read/watched it. It's set in the Anarchy, which is what GRRM based the Dance of Dragons on.

Last edited by Dirty Chai; May 26, 2015 at 05:51 PM.

I thought I was going to have to switch to wine, but then I found another bottle of rum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    Started watching the Starz' miniseries adaptation of Ken Follet's "Pillars of the Earth" again last night.
    I had devoured several 'brownies' beforehand, and I got kind of emotional when at the beginning you see Henry I get told that his only legit heir and son goes down in a shipwreck.

Pillars of the Earth is pretty good, for anyone who's never read/watched it. It's set in the Anarchy, which is what GRRM based the Dance of Dragons on.

Always meant to watch it, I've seen some of it IIRC.

The "humanity" is great. It's zoomed in on a town most of the time and how that town deals with the period, as well as being loosely tied to royal and clerical plots etc.
    One character, Richard, grows from a childish heir to a knight, and then is sent to the Holy Land as a crusader - when he finally comes back like at the end of the series, he's so different.
    All the killing, and general that that character goes through to get his home and property back...

It's that kind of thing, this show. "The these people went through"

Yeah, I heard it was focused on a small village, sort of unique really. Quite cool how it still manages to involve itself with everything.

Isnt there one with Edward II/III in too?

Yep, World Without End. Begins with the She-Wolf deposing her husband..

Ah yes, World Without End. I shall have to get round to watching them both, I have only seen little clips of both series.

World without End is a terrible adaptation, even worse than the Hobbit the Battle of the Five Armies. Not that the Pillars of the Earth is a good adaptation eaither, but still somewhat better, and with a better casting (Ian Mcshane, Eddie Redmayne...)

And I sometimes feel people are made from porcelain...

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Hahahaha

Yeah, they're much different than the books. Books were more accurate and loyal to the actual events of the period, if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
    World without End is a terrible adaptation, even worse than the Hobbit the Battle of the Five Armies.
    That ruined 2014 for me

Agreed. I spent hours criticizing its poor writting, directing, cutting, editing... it simply was an AWFUL movie.

There were many good movies in 2014-2015, like Kingsman, Big Eyes, Inherent Vice, Theory of Everything, the Imitation Game, even the trully entertaining Age of Ultron... But the Hobbit diserves a place among the worst.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Let's build a great sept like Westeros has never seen before.
    Definitely won't get swept up into the chaos of the times.

I actually kind of wanted to make my great sept when I was Aegon III (remember, I wanted to turn KL into a renaissance city) because of Pillars of the Earth, I think.

You have much loftier goals for KL than I ever have

I would've gotten some cool done if people didn't keep rolling peasant revolts randomly back in those days

Just a heads up, we're approaching the 10k post count limit for threads on TWC before the forum starts having issues. I'm closing this one and a new thread will be open momentarily.