Thread: Building the ultimate mod for everyone

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Default Building the ultimate mod for everyone

The responses I got in the thread "Compatibility chart for RTR PE mods?" made an idea come to me, which I present here, since it's worth a separate thread.
    I believe I'm not the only one who feels it a pity, after having become acquainted with so many great mods, that it's so difficult to integrate the "best" parts of these different mods. I can find myself wishing, for example, the units in one mod, the animations in an other, the strategy map in a third and the gameplay in a fourth - but I must choose which one of these things I prefer most, because I only get to use one of them at a given time. Unless I'm willing to spend months (it seems) to become one h**k of modder myself.
    I may have to draw the line for this game there. I don't think I have the luxury to invest more time on it (thanks to the mods, it's already too much - no other game can compare!). I believe many other players are in the same situation. Here this idea came to me.
    This is to ask all these talented modders if they're willing to release their improvements not only in big and finished packages, but also in their elementaries, i.e. in their smallest possible functional wholes. If one package contains ten new units, two new animations for a certain kind of unit, and the introduction of navigable rivers and new forts to the strategy map, for instance, then it would be very nice if all parts were released on their own, too, like every unit (complete with unit card etc) being downloadable individually as a complete installation (requiring no further modding), every animation being downloadable individually as a complete intallation etc. For deeper modifications to the original, like the re-introduction of the Roman Senate and multiple factions-scenario to RTR, the smallest possible functional whole becomes rather large, but there may still be room for variation in these cases. In the example with multiple Roman factions, a specific set of units must be added to the game (the units for the Roman factions, to be precise), but one could leave it open as to which set of (Roman) units this is to be: the original set for this modification or some variant released later. There are of course limitations as to how far a given mod package can be broken down in this way and, regretfully, it would require further work from the modders, who have it up to their ears already, I can imagine. But as far as they like this idea and are willing to go along with it, everyone would have a bigger chance to pick out what they like best from everything produced and build their own, ultimate mod. The result would be even more joy coming out from this superb game.
    This is all in the hands of the community. No big deal if it's turned down completely. We already have a blast!
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Default Re: Building the ultimate mod for everyone

Hello Demokritus

I totally agree with you. A sort of open source approach could advantage everyone:-)
    I really would like to be able to integrate all the Prometheus roman package in RTR, for example, just like the Modding Legions Package without having to install the Res Gestae Mod in another RTW copy.

The problem being the modding requires to match the units to the battle map, else you'll have the units factions, animations and battle map as per ususal, but the campain map would be empty, thus all factions would die on the spot.
    Thus your idea would work, but only if there was a constant map to use them on

Quote Originally Posted by silver guard
    The problem being the modding requires to match the units to the battle map, else you'll have the units factions, animations and battle map as per ususal, but the campain map would be empty, thus all factions would die on the spot.
    Thus your idea would work, but only if there was a constant map to use them on
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean, SilverGuard, since I'm no modder, I don't know how everything is connected, technically. But, like I said, the "open source" approach to RTW modding, as Andrea69 named it, seeks to reduce every mod to it's smallest possible FUNCTIONAL wholes or building blocks - at least as an option. That may mean everything is broken down so that you're given different types of choices in a certain sequence for it all to work. If the map is the fundamental element for anything to work, then the first type of choice must be which map to base everything on; the next type of choice after that could be which animations to use, and then which units that can use these animations etc. I'm sure some system or other could be worked out, if the will is there.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

The thing with mods is, every modder have different ideas and usually mods to the way he/she (are there female modders here ?) wanted to play the game basically. There are basicaly different type of mods, which were explained in another threads. Some, which are easier to implement basically the skins mod and the animation. Stuff that usually works with no or little modification at best.

Actually, in RTW modding community there exist some sort of open source mods already in form of NTO (look under modding section) which anyone can uses whatever mods there freely. So may or may not be compatible with certain other mods though.

For major modification mods I say there basically 2 type. First is a direct modification from the main RTW/BI game out of the box like RTR, EB etc to name a few. Some are in form of mini-mods for this modifications itself, like my Imperator mod which base on RTRPE but in all honestly it's just uses much of the open source project (with permission from respective authors of couse) and combined into a single mini-mod.

Anyway there's never too late to learn how to mod. Start with some simple like adding new units or changing new skins first. Believe me, it'll grew much later...

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Has started in my mod..sort of. Want to join? I can teach you my meager knowledge

EDIT: Practically my mod is taking what I like from other mods and putting them in one package with permission.
    Last edited by The Walrus; September 28, 2006 at 03:31 PM.
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by The Walrus
    Has started in my mod..sort of. Want to join? I can teach you my meager knowledge

EDIT: Practically my mod is taking what I like from other mods and putting them in one package with permission.
    I´m interested. Do you have a thread for this mod?

Quote Originally Posted by The Walrus

Thank you for your kind offer, Walrus: it's tempting, very tempting! I'd love to be able to do my own modelling and skinning here, you see. I'm confident that I can produce quality work in this area, based on what I can do with pencils and paper (the artistic tools are different with a computer, I know, but the artistic principles - regarding the right proportions of things, where shadows should be applied, which colours go well together etc - stays the same) (I'm known as a bit of an artist). Sadly, I'm off-put by three great obstacles:
    1. Work and school - I've got a thesis to finish in the latter field; little time for anything else.
    2. I cannot afford 3D Max and Adobe Photoshop - the very tools I need here, AFAIK: needing so many other things in life, I cannot justify spending that kind of money "just for fun".
    3. I'll be without a PC until they start shipping them with Windows Vista OS (I'm getting rid of my old PC in order to get some capacity in graphics card and have enough money for it when Vista hits the market) - can't do anything with a game until then; I can only visit forums like this one with my other computer, an old Mac (Pismo).
    Still, I'm curious. Perhaps next summer I'll be up and running with RTW again. I may eventually get hold of a second hand Photoshop or something. What's the score for your modification? PM me about it, if you like.

PS. If I did get into modding one day, I'd release my stuff in the way here envisioned, since more people may be interested in the parts of my mod than in the whole package. For whole packages, most areas are already covered.

Demokritus, I'm not sure if you're familiar with Hic Sunt Dracones, but I've decided I will make a "core" verision (imaginitavly named animations only) for the next release. I thought it would make it easier to merge that way.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJubb
    Demokritus, I'm not sure if you're familiar with Hic Sunt Dracones, but I've decided I will make a "core" verision (imaginitavly named animations only) for the next release. I thought it would make it easier to merge that way.
    Of course I'm familiar with your mod! I've been waiting (to start the most interesting campaigns) until you were ready to release a final version of it! Now I have to wait longer, due to my decision to change computers (I don't know how long before I can play again). But I don't need to see your work on my computer before I can say this, that I really appreciate your gesture!
    Regards,
    D