Thread: Suggestion - Larger Map

Default Suggestion - Larger Map

Hi RoTK Team

I would like to start by thanking you for your hard work to make this wonderful mod. I'm been an avid follower of this mod since it's days in early development, and think the beta is pretty good

These are some of the things that I believe most the community want added is a Larger Map; I'm sure everyone can agree that the current map is a bit small. I think the lovely mod HZS has made a very wonderful map, and I'm sure the wonderful modders there will let us use their map.

I know you're all probably very busy with the current new units, and I'm fine with that. No need to rush the new patch, take all the time you need

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Suggestion - Larger Map

Changing map size during an ongoing modding enterprise is something not undertaken lightheartedly - every single co-ordinate needs adjustment and doing that by find\replace is as tedious as doing it by hand.

"Larger" makes only sense if you can fill the additional space (double the size is four times the surface) with something that improves the game. Enlarging everything is not worth the effort - I can simply half the movement range of characters (one file - 10 minutes of work) and then it takes double the time (as it would in the larger map) to get from point A to point B.

My experience with the map from the 1648 mod (max size) I worked with has shown me that the problems rise exponential to the size of the map - we used maximum size and nearly had to start all over again (a multitude of features still had to be abandoned) because we ran from one wall into the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Changing map size during an ongoing modding enterprise is something not undertaken lightheartedly - every single co-ordinate needs adjustment and doing that by find\replace is as tedious as doing it by hand.

"Larger" makes only sense if you can fill the additional space (double the size is four times the surface) with something that improves the game. Enlarging everything is not worth the effort - I can simply half the movement range of characters (one file - 10 minutes of work) and then it takes double the time (as it would in the larger map) to get from point A to point B.

My experience with the map from the 1648 mod (max size) I worked with has shown me that the problems rise exponential to the size of the map - we used maximum size and nearly had to start all over again (a multitude of features still had to be abandoned) because we ran from one wall into the next.

i agree with Gigantus that the map should NOT be too large because the waiting time of AI will be too long.
    it is something not good in HZS. i really hope that RoTK can keep a suitable size map.
    the map will be good if there is suitable amount of "content" in the map.

if you really want to increase the number of turns for going from point A to point B.
    it will be better to decrease the "movement range" of foot soldier and siege machine a little bit.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Runner View Post
    if you really want to increase the number of turns for going from point A to point B.
    it will be better to decrease the "movement range" of foot soldier and siege machine a little bit.
    You are thinking of the entry in descr_campaign_db.xml - but that is a multiplier of the movement ranges in descr_characters ('soldier' doesn't exist, only 'siege' and 'cavalry'), depending on the units within an army:

cavalry - only cavalry units (usually multiplied by 1.2)
    siege - contains at least one siege unit (usually multiplied by 0.8)
    mixed cavalry and infantry will always be the default movement points as is infantry only