Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Politics in Imperator Augustus FLC

Durador's Avatar Civis

Default New Politics in Imperator Augustus FLC

This looks so awesome. Finally they changed it! (Good job CA!). Cant wait to see what the DeI team will do with all this new stuff.

Default Re: New Politics in Imperator Augustus FLC

looks great finally you can tell if civil war will stroke or not!! sick of trying to anticipate it gathering like 6 spare armies near capital waiting for it to happen.

More stats to keep track of. I wish CA would just make a comprehensive list of affects and their causes. Makes the game unnecessarily difficult to mix-max having to look all over the place for stuff.

Anyway, this does look better, much better.

Good news from CA !

I hope that kind of stuff will continue to appear...

SenseiJT92's Avatar Decanus

Still generic, bland and black..
    Previously taylorj2, Allu X, Grandmaster Ryu, Dauntless Commandant & Sensei Kiisu

Creator of the "Perfectly Polished" sub-mod for Stainless Steel (M2:TW), contributing to LOTR:TW (R:TW) and many other modifications over time, now long-forgotten

Original join date, Feb 2007.

m_1512's Avatar Quomodo vales?
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I dunno, many of veteran modders have said this is only changing the UI for politics. Civil war is still disappointing, I got one and am going to crush it withing 5 turns.

shogon's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by m_1512 View Post
    I dunno, many of veteran modders have said this is only changing the UI for politics. Civil war is still disappointing, I got one and am going to crush it withing 5 turns.
    Generally my experience as well regarding Civil War. Even had 2 outbreaks in my Selukid campaign, but as you say, rebellion crushed in a few turns.

I do enjoy what they did with it though, now it's not 10 stacks in 1 province, instead a patchwork of provinces fall to rebellion and some of your armies as well. These can be detrimental as I always tend to be in war with large nearby factions.

But the AI never recruits units, always runs out of food, and eventually dies. It's a lot better then before but probably needs something else to it.
    40%
    40%
    40%
    40%
    "
    It's a real upgrade, and we're not even halfway to alpha."

Yeah, in the civil war I had recently (in vanilla though) only one of the rebel armies actually attacked my cities. The others stood around until I attacked them myself. Mainly it was annoying, as the armies that rebelled were some of my most experienced armies.

Blog Entries

If anyone had researched about any of the ancient civil wars, one thing should have been plain obvious - There was no patchwork! Civil wars were where chunks of regions went over to one side and the empire would become multiple chunks of regions.

What I would like is the other families actually rebelled together to form their own states in regions. Let me give an example, I am playing as Julii, and I hold Italy, Greece, Africa, and Provincia. I have some generals from other families - Cornelia in Africa, and Junia in Hellas and Macedonia. When the civil war triggers, here is what should happen.

- All other families join in to form their own factions.
    - Perhaps even some members from the playing faction, should a general not get enough promotions to sate their ambition.
    - The legion commanded by their general defects, as currently.
    - Instead of giving a random roll to all regions, the entire province where the other houses' generals are should defect. This means Africa will become Cornelian state, Hellas and Macedonia become Junia state and so on.
    - If possible, another intricate feature that can be added is an ultimatum delivered by the other factions to kill the family member with highest gravitas in exchange for return of the regions and legions. If not, war.

I agree it is neat they have a UI, but this is simply a graphical representation of information already in game. You can see your influence and Imperium level already in patch 15 beta.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Semisalis

I step in and say: All this flaming about "disappointing civil wars" and stuff is stupid. I appreciate the work of CA, modders dont need too much skill they work around the frame made by real programmers. Its a good game, and Augustus DLC makes it even better. Simple thing this new UI, but modding is simple, i wouldnt insult myself if i were a modder.

Quote Originally Posted by m_1512 View Post
    - Instead of giving a random roll to all regions, the entire province where the other houses' generals are should defect. This means Africa will become Cornelian state, Hellas and Macedonia become Junia state and so on.
    I think I know why they have random regions turning, it might be due to that all your armies could be on enemy soil when civil war triggers. Not saying that their work around might be the best idea, but I guess it's good enough for me.

Though, I have yet to experience this new civil war, to say for sure... But I do like your ideas. ^^

I totally agree with m_1512 and Dresden. The UI looks good, looks awesome but if you read it carefuly it doesn't change anything. It only shows information to the players clearly. If I got civil war instead of randomly spawned regions I would like that one house took over Hispania and other North Africa, not 2 provinces in Italia, one in Gaul, threee in Asia Minor. It would be something historicly accurate like in the Year of Four Emperors, when legions of Vitelius, Otho and Vespasian named their Caesars.

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

I havenīt tried any Civil War scenarios yet, havenīt played any lengthy DeI Campaigns for a while now.
    How do you incorporate formerly rebellious regions back into your state? Do you actually have to conquer every single one of them back?
    Or will they come back to you after you defeat all the enemy Armies? Is it possible to have a peace treaty with the rebels?

Nope, just like in the old civil war system, you can't make peace with the rebels (even though it might tell you "High" probability of accepting peace). You've got to conquer everything and destroy their armies and navies one by one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alu10 View Post
    I step in and say: All this flaming about "disappointing civil wars" and stuff is stupid. I appreciate the work of CA, modders dont need too much skill they work around the frame made by real programmers. Its a good game, and Augustus DLC makes it even better. Simple thing this new UI, but modding is simple, i wouldnt insult myself if i were a modder.
    I am glad you are speaking for yourself, because I would never have touched this game without DEI. Many on here would strongly disagree with what you posted here. One also does not need to be a CA employe -or a programmer- to understand a poorly done UI or an underwhelming feature like the "civil war."
    Last edited by stevehoos; September 14, 2014 at 10:22 PM.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Blog Entries

No one is depreciating any work, this is just fair and honest review of the work itself. The civil war is nice, but it could have been even more.

You clearly don't understand the amount of work that modders put into their mods. As someone who has been involved with mods since RTW, I can say it's a huge amount of work many of these modders put into their product. They put countless hours into these mods as a labor of love with no compensation, no pay check for all they do.

Everyone here appreciates that CA has created a game for us to mod, and we appreciate that they are trying to fix the holes in their game, but just like anyone else we're also allowed to have opinions regarding what we like and don't like.

Many of us recognize that R2 has a lot of cool and interesting features being added to it, it's just that these features aren't quite what they could be. For example, civil wars could have been even more robust. Say if one AI family accrues too much power, it could revolt on its own with a particular region and the player has to defeat it but still has the other families. If the player accrues too much power than it could be the opposite. Perhaps, under some circumstances, say a popular leader dies and weak leader comes to power, all families rebel and form their own faction and take their own regions like the second triumvirate. I dunno. All this to say that I would have liked the civil war mechanic to be more varied so that the player can face multiple civil wars but that they would be different in size, scope, and threat.

The point is, we're glad things are getting updated, but that doesn't mean we can't also be disappointed that the changes aren't quite up to scratch.
    Last edited by GatorMarine1833; September 14, 2014 at 11:32 PM.

Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by GatorMarine1833 View Post
    You clearly don't understand the amount of work that modders put into their mods. As someone who has been involved with mods since RTW, I can say it's a huge amount of work many of these modders put into their product. They put countless hours into these mods as a labor of love with no compensation, no pay check for all they do.

Everyone here appreciates that CA has created a game for us to mod, and we appreciate that they are trying to fix the holes in their game, but just like anyone else we're also allowed to have opinions regarding what we like and don't like.

Many of us recognize that R2 has a lot of cool and interesting features being added to it, it's just that these features aren't quite what they could be. For example, civil wars could have been even more robust. Say if one AI family accrues too much power, it could revolt on its own with a particular region and the player has to defeat it but still has the other families. If the player accrues too much power than it could be the opposite. Perhaps, under some circumstances, say a popular leader dies and weak leader comes to power, all families rebel and form their own faction and take their own regions like the second triumvirate. I dunno. All this to say that I would have liked the civil war mechanic to be more varied so that the player can face multiple civil wars but that they would be different in size, scope, and threat.

The point is, we're glad things are getting updated, but that doesn't mean we can't also be disappointed that the changes aren't quite up to scratch.
    I modded alot of Rome 1, you need to put alot of work into it, but simple work. doesnt matter how long it takes, it will remain simple.

I modded alot of Rome 1, you need to put alot of work into it, but simple work. doesnt matter how long it takes, it will remain simple.
    Yes, modders tend not to be programmers, and even if they were, they still couldn't touch the game's source code. Therefore they have to come up with abstract solutions to problems which a decent programmer with access to the source code could fix in ten minutes. I can guarantee you if Rome II was open source, it would have the potential to be the best game of all time: it's not that modders lack the skills to fix the game's problems, its that they literally can't. It is also worth noting that CA's content leader (ie Jack Lusted) is himself an ex modder. Furthermore, programming isn't really that hard in my opinion, its just too boring to learn it (that's my experience anyway).

In addition, I would argue that a 4TPY mod might be simple, but something like EB II is not.

In any event, whether mods are basic or not is irrelevant to the fact that some people are dissatisfied with the political system. I don't see what that has got to do with how hard or easy it is to mod a game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast