Thread: Is there any proof giving large sums of money to a faction helps it survive or expand?

Icon1 Is there any proof giving large sums of money to a faction helps it survive or expand?

I ask because playing as Rome in two different campaigns 2.5 version I had lots of gold after a while and when I decide to head east I wanted to take on the Seleucid Empire at its peak. So I sent 30,000 each turn sometimes more, for over 25 years and in both games they were worn down and over run or reduce to several cities by the Ptolemies and Parthia. Armenians somewhat.

Did the same for the Sparta in another game and though they took the Peloponness and Athens they struggled mightily to sustain themselves against a 1 stack Macedonian army and if I hadn't gone to war with Macedon I don't think Sparta would have held out(I know, those words or blasphemy in some circles).

What puzzled me, in one Campaign I sent no money to the Seleucids and they kicked every bodies ass around them, taking many cities.

So has anyone seen evidence that a faction is actually receiving the money given them? I've check wealth charts shortly after I give money and it does show a spike for that faction. But so far I've seen no results on the campaign map as in; faction expanding well, more stacks or surviving very long in play. Maybe I need to experiment more. Just may be the AI playing games of its on.

This is kinda important to me, because if I become too rich too fast, to keep the game dangerous, even when not playing Rome I penalize my faction with inflation of at least 30 to 40% and send that money to factions I want to see become empires by the time I meet them.

Any modders see any thing under the hood of the game that verifies a faction is using the money?

Good gaming
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    RS2,EB1,RTR,SPQR,Diadochi,RTH,Troy,IBFD,Hegemonia City States,77BC FRRE,more.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

Default Re: Is there any proof giving large sums of money to a faction helps it survive or expand?

Its a tough question .. when I play as the Selecuids campaign I was do the same for Carthage, the free Greeks and Macedon and it has a mixed effect. Ususally I'd always see Carthage and the Greeks still end up getting over run. However, in the lastest campaign I was giving Carthage a fair amount of cash 20k a turn and for once they were not driven out of Spain and North africa by the Galleci. For the greeks and Macedon the money's there to keep Rome at bay while I go and prepare to take out first Parthia and then Ptolmeys before marching into Asia Minor.

Now when the AI plays the Seleucids .. its suicidial 80% of the time .. it negelects to protect its southern border with the Ptolmey's or the east against Parthia but instead decides to go north and take on the rebels so they ususally get a pasting and loose most of their settlements. I've yet to see the AI Seleucids not do the same thing repeatedly. Needless to say I hate playing another faction and having to watch the AI Seleucids make all of the wrong decisions.

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

Default Re: Is there any proof giving large sums of money to a faction helps it survive or expand?

In my current rome h/h/0turn/2.6 campaign the seleucid empire hold on very well fighting back the partians and the ptolemey´s. All other factions also did very well and are in stable ground.
    i think there is a faction survival script in 2.6, but i´m not sure. parthia is down to 2 - 4 regions but gets very often loyalistrevolts, same for the ptolemoi. They only have cyprus, asia minor town and egypt except rhinocolura, being hardly pressed.

Don´t know if the AI can handle sure+ money effectively. i read somewhere that they first invest in units, then in buildings. In a 0-turn game, this could be favor bigger faction.

i kicked out the averni and had a fair amount of battles to bring them down.

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

They can't really use money effectively - but I don't think that's the problem.

I think (think dvk said it somewhere) that the scripts make sure the AI's treasury never falls below a certain amount, but never goes above a certain amount either.

If that's true, you've effectively pissed your money into the wind.
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

onmy6's Avatar Miles

I've found that in all the total war games when I've given an ally or friend crap loads of cash and even a province or two it has never paid off, they either do nothing with the cash and/or they do nothing with the province and end up get thrashed so I just don't bother anymore wasting my money or provinces on allies when they just crap it away, must be some sort of restriction hardcoded into the games I guess

Bummer.
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    RS2,EB1,RTR,SPQR,Diadochi,RTH,Troy,IBFD,Hegemonia City States,77BC FRRE,more.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

Have just re-installed RS 2.6 on a revamped computer and started a new Rome campaing. I wanted to resurrect this thread as sending lots of cash to Germans and Parthians had always been part of my apporach in order to ensure they are mighty and terrible later in the game.

I see from the chat in this thread that this might be a waste of time, but is it definite that the script caps money and if so can one of the modders explain how it works?

The Seleucids have massive AI income, like 300,000 per turn, so your 30,000 won't do much for them. Of course you might luck out... in my Sparta campaign, the AI factions were quick to ceasefire with one another, because I was knocking on all their doors. Only Parthia/Seleucids are at war...

RS2 gives AI factions a TON of money because they're so bad at using it.

To put it a different way, giving large sums of money to a faction helps it survive or expand. DVK already did that for you.
    Last edited by Alavaria; April 15, 2014 at 12:51 PM.

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

And i think when they have only 1 settlement left, they will automatically get ceasefire with all factions they were at war with

I think it is impossible to prove it.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator