Thread: When are the Marian Reforms supposed to occur in this mod?

Default When are the Marian Reforms supposed to occur in this mod?

I'm playing the most recent 5.9 version of this mod, as Gaul. I've made several attacks on the city of Rome. It's 225BC. There are already Legionnaires being actively trained and fielded. Is this normal or a bug?

My intent was to knock out Rome before the Reforms kicked in and they started cranking out the Legionnaires. I don't recall if Legionnaires were autospawned the first time I besieged Rome or not... are they? But if they were autospawned, they'd have gold chevron status and I'm seeing lots of legionnaires with bronze chevrons that are seemingly being trained in other Roman cities.

Can I get an explanation of how and when the hastati/princs/triarii are replaced by Legionnaires in this mod?

Also, are the named General-rank units supposed to have a secondary sword-using attack when you hold alt+attack? Mine are just sticking with their lances.
    Last edited by piranha45; December 02, 2013 at 12:30 PM.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: When are the Marian Reforms supposed to occur in this mod?

The reforms happen when the Romans build a huge city in Italy (except Rome itself).

I've since managed to permanently wrest Rome from Rome, and the Iberians are mopping up the remnants. It took me 3 landings! hah.

Is there a convenient way for me to change when the Marian Reforms occur? I'd like to set it at its historical point in 107 BC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170117144401_1.jpg  
    Last edited by piranha45; January 17, 2017 at 03:46 PM.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Unfortunately there's no easy way to set a date for the reforms. If Rome is eliminated the reforms won't happen and there is no way to change that. There are two things you can do to influence when and how the reforms occur: (1) Set the regions that trigger the reforms via rome and italy hidden resources (i.e. you can control which city the game sees as Rome and which cities it sees as being in Italy); (2) Change the growth rate via food levels so that settlements take more or less time to reach huge level.

Some mods discard the hard coded reforms entirely and create something similar, but more controllable, through scripts and the building system. Unfortunately that approach is complicated.