View Poll Results: In?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • as player...

12 75.00%
  • as player-moderator

4 25.00%
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Genesis of Empires (WIP Proposal)

m_1512's Avatar Quomodo vales?
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Genesis of Empires (WIP Proposal)

Yep, you see it right. It is back! And this time, I am stepping in with the rules to prevent the incessant arguing that strangled the last proposal. I'll be putting down the rules every now and then so aiming to put the entire stuff by 2 days.

The Game The game involves a fictional word setting which is not medieval themed, but as a change, an antiquity theme. The world has just started out after the chaotic events, so everyone starts on equal footing. In the game, players take a characters as the head of a tribe. From here, they go on about quests, to find treasures and mystical objects, conquests for glory and for strength of their, and all this with the ultimate objective of domination of the known world. In this world, the world is divided into primarily two peoples, the settled peoples and the barbarians. Each is gifted with their own strengths and bonuses against the others, and have their own weaknesses in face of their nemesis.

The link of the old proposal -> http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...esis-of-Empire.

Moderators
    Adamat
    Dark Storm
    Lucius Malfoy
    Sotha Sil

Players
    Alexandrine
    Adamat
    Ace-General

Dark Storm
    High Fist
    Honors Bastion

Joseph Simonyi de Vitézvár
    Lord Dread
    Lucius Malfoy
    Mors Vigilia

Pyrrhus the Molossian
    Sotha Sil
    Trot
    Xion
    Zectorman

Forum Structure

Calling all interested players, volunteers, and moderators.
    Last edited by m_1512; November 04, 2013 at 10:38 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Genesis of Empires (WIP Proposal)

Cultures and sub-cultures
    The game will have the following major culture types and its sub-types. The culture included is not to hinder creativity but to involve more variety and still present a challenge to playing while keeping it interesting. Each culture will have its unique flavor and strengths & weaknesses.

The City States
    We are the people who chose a life of calm and order, with laws and institutions. Our biggest strength is our intellect and innovation. We can found institutions, build great settlements, and field a disciplined army. We can be the envy of the world!

The Aventinians - Inspired from Latins
    Etymology: Named after the river Aventine.
    Strengths: Disciplined arms, military & urban fortifications, and innovation & industry.
    Unique bonus: Tactical discipline and organization.

The Hellenes - Inspired from Greeks
    Etymology: Named after the region they settle in, which means beautiful or serene lands.
    Strengths: Disciplined arms, urban fortifications, and innovation & grandeur.
    Unique bonus: Heroic arms and morale.

The Phoenicians - Inspired from Tyre
    Etymology: Named after the river Phoenix they settle along.
    Strengths: Disciplined arms, great urban fortifications, and innovation & wealth.
    Unique bonus: Naval prowess and trade bonus.

The Medians - Inspired from Persians
    Etymology: Named after the region they settle in, which means the lands in the center.
    Strengths: Disciplined arms, great urban fortifications & monuments, and innovation & diversity.
    Unique bonus: Ranged warfare prowess and military diversity.

The Huaxia - Inspired by Warring States China
    Etymology: Self-named for their 'civilized illustriousness' in comparison to the neighboring Yuezhi.
    Strengths: Disciplined arms, great urban fortifications, and innovation & scholarship.
    Unique bonus: Military strategy and advanced bureaucracy.

The Barbarians
    It is a simple wholesome life, of a barbarian. We are called barbarians by the city people, who consider our ways too brutish. Bah! we are a strong and hardy people. Ours is simply one order of life, eat, drink, and fight! And fight we shall, for our freedom, and for glory!

The Northmen - Inspired from Norse
    Etymology: Named after their home, the great northern isle.
    Strengths: Glorious arms, medium urban fortifications, and military traditions.
    Unique bonus: Shock warfare and naval ability.

The Galatians - Inspired from Celts
    Etymology: Named according to the nature of the tribes, which means the bold.
    Strengths: Bold arms, medium urban fortifications, and agricultural abundance.
    Unique bonus: Military intimidation and rural agriculture.

The Alemanni - Inspired from Goths
    Etymology: Named according to their motto of tribal unity, which meant one people.
    Strengths: Attrition arms, medium urban fortifications, and tribal unity.
    Unique bonus: Defensive warfare and physical prowess.

The Drakonians - Inspired from Dacians
    Etymology: Named after their practice of carrying to battle, banners shaped as a serpentine dragon.
    Strengths: Swift arms, medium urban fortifications, and mysticism.
    Unique bonus: Hidden warfare and mystic intimidation.

The Nomads
    Ours is not an easy life, a life without home, a life of migrations, a life of hardship, a life of danger. But it a free life. The hardship makes us strong, the migrations teach us to be swift, the lack of a home keeps our people close, and the danger drives us to survive. We, who are free to migrate, have no bounds. There is nowhere we cannot go, nothing we cannot achieve. For to survive and to be free, we must take what we need!

The Saka tribes - Inspired from Scythians
    Etymology: Named by the Medians after the nature of the tribes, the word meaning people who roam.
    Strengths: Horse tribe, small urban & rural settlements, and tribal unity.
    Unique bonus: Mounted spear prowess, and heavy horse armor.

The Yuezhi tribes - Inspired by Huns
    Etymology: Named by the Huaxia for their worship of sky spirits, "moon people."
    Strengths: Horse tribe, mobile settlements, and tribal domination.
    Unique bonus: Mounted archery prowess, and swift movement.

The Badawī tribes - Inspired by Bedouins
    Etymology: Named by the Medians for their nomadic lifestyle in the deserts and wastelands.
    Strengths: Camel and horse tribe, nomadic settlement & trade caravans, and tribal unity.
    Unique bonus: Desert climate tolerant, and attrition warfare prowess.

The Andal tribes - Inspired by Vandals
    Etymology: Named by their Alemanni cousins for their worship of the wandering evening star.
    Strengths: Predominately Horse tribe, small urban & rural settlements, and dread.
    Unique bonus: Mounted raiding prowess, and intimidation by dread.
    The Civitas
    The Peoples
    The game starts with players taking head of their tribes (within the culture of their choice). Players starting with civilized factions will start with a small town, and the per-existing cities if they opt for it. Barbarians with their village and nomads as camped on a region.

The following are the starting populations for the culture groups:
    - The City States: 4,000
    The players who opted for already existing city gets a +6,000 to the population.
    - The Barbarians: 6,000
    - The Nomads: 7,000

Economy
    The money and economy system is at best simple. The unit for wealth is Tribute. Tribute is generated from cities and other smaller settlements via trade and agriculture. While the civilized factions, and to a certain extent barbarian factions, can generate wealth on their own, the others must find ways to gain this to their advantage. Nomads to gain wealth, and Barbarians to bolster their wealth, must engage in wars and raids to gain it.

Certain barbarian factions even have a penalty for not raiding for a long time. The only way to remove this penalty is by settling the tribe. However, this will not be easy as stubborn and wild warriors don't like to throw their axe and start tilling the land. But the barbarians will be able to live on a suitable lands by controlling the villages on it. Nomadic tribes will expect glory and riches if left unfulfilled, would mean dire penalties.

Growth
    Growth is the increase of the tribe, which in turn means their military power. Historically, tribes functioned on the simple concept of fulfilling their basic needs. It is also the same here, but more simple. Every tribe has a happiness rating, or in other words how satisfied they are in your rule. Keep them satisfied and they will develop properly. Dissatisfied tribesmen might mean people moving off seeking other tribes for better prospects. More worrisome means that the deserters includes your warriors too.

The following are some of the modifiers for your tribe satisfaction rating:
    - Achievements: Accomplishing great feats for the civilization in terms of civic achievements, wealth, and glory from battles.
    - Spoils: Distributing gained tribute (from sources other than your own tribe) amongst your peoples is a sure way to boost satisfaction. Repeatedly failing to do so will only make you seem greedy.
    - Authority: For nomad and barbarian peoples, successfully leading your people into humiliating situations is a sure way to hurt pride and lower satisfaction. For civilized people, this is failing to protect them from barbaric attacks. For both, this also means that the leader's control over his people is slipping.

Religion
    There is no religion at the start of the game. Any player can make one by writing out the basic canon and the lore. Bonuses will be assigned to it by the moderators based on how creative the canon is, and how detailed the lore is. All the above need not be walls of post, but can be creative and a nice read to get good bonuses.

The tribe of the player who writes one gets the religion. Religion spreads by any substantial contact with other people. If one faith comes in contact with other, there will be unrest before one is overpowered by the other.
    Storms of Strife
    The Levies
    It is important to understand that not all people in a tribe are to fight in battles. There are other roles the people can serve within a tribe. Hence, the actual amount of available warriors in the tribes at any given point of time are as following.
    Civilized tribes - 30%
    Barbarian tribes - 40%
    Nomadic tribes - 50%

In times of desperation, like in face of imminent destruction of the tribe itself, the tribes will be able to bolster their strength by adding to their ranks anyone who can wield arms rather than the usual able bodied men. The percentage here are as below.
    Civilized tribes - 60%
    Barbarian tribes - 65%
    Nomadic tribes - 70%

Wars and Raids
    In the course of the game, there will be times to go on war with others, or simply raid and loot the regions. Northmen tribes will have to be at war once every 3-5 years, whereas nomadic tribes will yearn for more spoils through raids.

Wars and battles are fought not with rigid rule-set but with good role-play and strategic actions. Raids will require the raiding force to enter a region and stay there until the warriors are done plundering all it has.
    Assimilation of tribes
    Absorbing other Tribes
    Your character as a tribal leader need not wait to grow strong. You can also absorb other tribes, player or NPC into your own. The rules are very simple regarding this. First of all, it's about playing the character and doing the necessary roleplay.

However, for balancing reasons, the conquered people will be a part of your tribe, but not exactly your tribe. What is basically means is that, if you playing as Northmen absorb a tribe of horsemen, the horsemen do not become Northmen but are simply ruled by them. Here, you will get an opportunity to use their bonuses, like the troops and levy percentage. But these units cannot get your tribe's strengths. The conquered tribes also retains some of their identity despite being conquered. There will be a thread for listing all this, but it will be taken care by moderators. This continues until there is a conversion or hybridization of culture.

Mixing of Cultures
    When two or more tribes are brought in close proximity to each other, such as one absorbing the other or one settling on the others land, one of the following will happen. The culture of one tribe will influence and convert the other completely, especially so if one outnumbers the other in terms of population. This, the player can stop by either rigidly defending the culture of his tribe or by bringing about hybridization of the two. Hybridization will be a gradual process where both cultures will start losing some of their core strengths and retaining some. This means that the new hybrid tribe will have strength of both the old cultures, and also a new unique bonus based on the strengths. The whole process will be tracked in a thread so there is a clear idea of the current situations.
    Last edited by m_1512; November 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM.

Would be still interested, but maybe play then a city state. Let's see.

Zectorman's Avatar Primicerius

i'm interested.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgxBxU9wSP8

Ferdinand Von Terl, he knew how to RP before you could even Speak your name!

Ace_General's Avatar Praeses

I would want to play as a half hellene half barbarian people in a mixed kingdom like the Macedonians. Have like a mixture of small towns, aristocratic great estates, and hill tribes and focus on military tactics, farming, resource extraction, and metal working. I took a class on ancient Greece and the hellenic period and I really found the rise of macedon and Epirus one of the most fascinating and under-studied stories of ancient history.

one of the thingsI talked about to give people more of a chance to customize their tribes/states/cities/confederacies by giving people the chance to decide weatehr to be an agricultural or commerical type state, and maritime or land based powers. Also, do we get to have different bonuses through government types, like a monarchy, theocracy, oligarchy, tribal democracy, republic, or direct democracy?
    Last edited by Ace_General; October 31, 2013 at 03:37 PM.
    Low speed, High Drag

Zectorman's Avatar Primicerius

Kind of Thracian really.

Im debating Northern or Civilized....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgxBxU9wSP8

Ferdinand Von Terl, he knew how to RP before you could even Speak your name!

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

I'll go civilised, and volunteer as a moderator.
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

This sounds very interesting. I don't know how much time I will be able to devote to this between school and AGOT, but I am definitely interested.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

I still want my neo-Babylonian/near-eastern city state recently liberated from an ancient and draconian version of the Persians.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; October 31, 2013 at 07:00 PM.

Interested.

May be something eastern-esque.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Interested

Blog Entries

Updated. Working on more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_General View Post
    I would want to play as a half hellene half barbarian people in a mixed kingdom like the Macedonians. Have like a mixture of small towns, aristocratic great estates, and hill tribes and focus on military tactics, farming, resource extraction, and metal working. I took a class on ancient Greece and the hellenic period and I really found the rise of macedon and Epirus one of the most fascinating and under-studied stories of ancient history.
    Not quite. Macedonia was a proper Greek state ruled by Greeks. From the administration to military doctrine, they followed the Greek ways. The regions occupied by the tribal people were significant to them in terms of resources and easy tribal levies for punitive campaigns or skirmishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_General View Post
    one of the thingsI talked about to give people more of a chance to customize their tribes/states/cities/confederacies by giving people the chance to decide weatehr to be an agricultural or commerical type state, and maritime or land based powers. Also, do we get to have different bonuses through government types, like a monarchy, theocracy, oligarchy, tribal democracy, republic, or direct democracy?
    Talked to whom? And is this about the culture types being defined more solid line this time?
    Lastly, the government types and bonuses will be updated in due time.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamat View Post
    I'll go civilised, and volunteer as a moderator.
    You are in as moderator, welcome.
    Last edited by m_1512; November 02, 2013 at 01:14 AM.

Dark Storm's Avatar saut dans le vide
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Err hey guys, would you consider making me a moderator?? I know i've not got really much experience with this type of thing but, yeah... this looks fun and i'd love to be involved

Cool beans.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Storm View Post
    Err hey guys, would you consider making me a moderator?? I know i've not got really much experience with this type of thing but, yeah... this looks fun and i'd love to be involved
    I will vouch for Dark Storm. He was a good moderator on The Roman Struggle.

By the way, count me in as interested.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Dark Storm's Avatar saut dans le vide
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Aww thanks Horrica!! xD

Blog Entries

Update, with 2 major culture types completed. And OP changed.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

1) I could moderate...

2) You make it very hard to decide between Galatians, Goths, and Persians

I wanna be Draconians actually.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Man, its going to be hard to choose between the Avertinians and the Medians.

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast