Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: NHL discussion thread

Jakethe_Snake15's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: 2013/2014 NHL discussion thread

I'd say the Czechs (I'm pretty sure it was the Czechs) made some boneheaded decisions as well. I mean, come on, Petr Nedved over Hudler? One of the players was on that team for the simple reason he was the coaches son-in-law.

Yeah.... the thing about that Latvia game as well, was that the Latvian's "out-Canadianed" the Canadians. Every time a Canadian got near the puck, there'd be a Latvian player crashing into him. Exactly what the Canadians did to shut down Ovechkin at the.... 05 World Juniors? Or was it 04? Either way.
    I like the Defence for Canada. A lot more than I did a few weeks ago, when they left off Seabrook for Vlasic (Duncan Keith + Brent Seabrook...one of the single best pairings in the world). Beyond Vlasic (I'm harping on that choice, but there are a few other players that could have gone instead of him) and perhaps Hamhuis (who, to be fair has had a number of awesome seasons) I wouldn't leave a single player off that list for Defence. Forwards...is just a cluster of good choices and some stupid choices.

As long as the US aren't any better than Latvia was (), Canada *should* win. Otherwise ...well playing for Bronze isn't something to be really ashamed about. I mean #3 in the world is something to be respected.

Still though. That goalie was outstanding - 55 saves, not all of them were shots from outside. Weber's slapshot is absolutely terrifying, and I have to respect anyone who stands tall against that.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Spader/Alan Shore "Boston Legal"
    I've always been convinced that friends should encourage friends to have their heads examined.

Wild just got Bryzgalov for a 4th round draft pick! Nice, but man...how the mighty have fallen. Hopefully he can get back to form in front of a better D and hopefully we won't even need him because at least one of our goalies can stay healthy(although you can't blame Harding).

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Vancouver Canucks now got 3 Swedish goalkeepers who all played for Brynäs IF in the Swedish hockey league before coming to the NHL.

Joacim Eriksson never made it to the first team as Jacob Markström was considered the bigger talent and after the 08/09 season he therefore moved to Leksands IF while Eddie Läck moved in the other direction to become backup for Jacob Markström. After the 09/10 season both Eddie Läck and Jacob Markström moved to North America while Joacim Ericsson had two hugely successful seasons with Skellefteå AIK before making the move.

Joacim Ericsson

Jacob Markström (and yes, that Is Andreas Dackell who played for Ottawa in front of him)

Eddie Läck

I still think that Jacob Markström is a huge talent but I am curious on this move by Vancouver, are they likely to buy a replacement for Luongo or is Läck good enough to be a starter?

To complete the full set they could also pick up Anders Lindbäck from Tampa Bay

I'm not even understanding this trade that Canucks just made. Wtf they dump Luongo for? He's one of the best NHL goalies. I know Vancouver is stupid ridiculous with fan objections and speculation and what not. But trade Luongo? Dumb. And without both Sedins, now the other is hurt too, they are falling off and there is world that Kessler is on teh move. Van is sad.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    I'm not even understanding this trade that Canucks just made. Wtf they dump Luongo for? He's one of the best NHL goalies. I know Vancouver is stupid ridiculous with fan objections and speculation and what not. But trade Luongo? Dumb. And without both Sedins, now the other is hurt too, they are falling off and there is world that Kessler is on teh move. Van is sad.
    Luongo is an expensive goaltender with a shaky playoff history and who have been boosting worse stats than Eddie Läck in this season.

Robert Luongo: $5,333,333 per year until 2022

Eddie Läck: $1,150,000 per year until 2016
    Jacob Markström: $1,200,000 per year until 2015
    Joacim Eriksson: $925,000 per year until 2015

My guess is that Vancouver have decided to give Eddie Läck the opportunity to prove himself as the top goaltender this season as it is unlikely that they will be a Stanley Cup contender anyway.

If he succedes, then Vancouver can go into the 2014/2015 season with an extra 3 MUSD in cap space and a very talented team of goaltenders. Both Joacim and Jacob got the talent to become top level goaltenders and Eddie Läck is the kind of guy who got the mentality to compete for the first spot regardless of if he win or lose (in Swedish media he didn't even seem happy about Luongo being traded). So I think that this is a very good bet where the team dynamics are going to work in favour of the Canucks.
    Last edited by Adar; March 06, 2014 at 02:08 PM.

DekuTrash's Avatar Human Directional
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post

I've always liked their jerseys, I would love to get my hands on one someday.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by DekuTrash View Post
    I've always liked their jerseys, I would love to get my hands on one someday.
    They got special help for English speakers on their webshop (link to the English page). One USD is 6.5 SEK right now so this years shirt cost 91 USD (black, white) but the ones from last season are on sale and only cost 46 USD (link). So even with shipping to the US they are far cheaper than a NHL Jersey.

Vanek to the Canadiens. Man, poor poor Islanders fans. Sounds like a garbage trade considering what they shelled out for him.

On to good news though, MN just got Matt Moulson. Yeah baby! Sounds like we shelled out more for Mouslon than the moron NYI GM got for Vanek. Although, honestly there is no real point in paying anything for Vanek when we can get him free of charge in the off-season.

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Snow's pretty much turned himself into the worst gm in the league now. As bad as canuck fans think their dude is Snow has basically just destroyed the islanders.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Indefinitely Banned

What do you guys think on the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Chicago BlackHawks ?

Jakethe_Snake15's Avatar Ordinarius

Both teams are very good.

Chicago is probably the more "complete" of the two - better overall defensively, etc. They could be playing for the Cup again come June.
    As I'm an Oilers fan, I don't get to actually cheer for them beyond early April (this is the 8th or 9th straight season without playoffs) so I cheer for the 'Hawks in the playoffs (my dad is from Wheaton, Ill. - a suburb of Chicago).

Pittsburgh should have won more than one Cup at this point, with the current iteration of the team (Crosby, Malkin and Co.) but between epic collapses in goaltending and overall collapse of team efforts in the last couple of years they've not been "the team to beat".

And wow. 7 goals in the 3rd period against Vancouver? I'm sorry, but I have to laugh at that failure. I'm an Oilers fan, so I really shouldn't be laughing at any team's failures, but that is just ridiculous. I love the fact that Luongo posted a shutout in his Panther's return...and the fact that Hemsky has 6 points in his first 2 games with Ottawa.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Spader/Alan Shore "Boston Legal"
    I've always been convinced that friends should encourage friends to have their heads examined.

As an Islander fan it was fun to watch.

I WUB PUGS's Avatar OOH KILL 'EM

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE down down down we go.
    http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/E...ePlayoffs.html

If the Leafs don't win the next two games, then ugh, look out.

Civitate

Nice to see Calle Järnkrook coming good for Nashville.

I was very sad to see that he wouldn't come home to Sweden before the trading deadline as he was unhappy with his situation in Grand Rapids. Detroit feel like the best place for a Swede to succeed in the NHL so him moving to Nashvile really felt like a downtrade in every way imaginable.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This is how he used to look when playing in Sweden... You may recognize the jerseys

But having Mattias Ekholm move the other way would have been nice. Trotz doesn't seem to be the best coach to unlock his potential.

Jesus, look at those helmets! I still can't tell if i think they're awesome or if i find them repulsive.

Hurray, Wang might finally be selling.

I WUB PUGS's Avatar OOH KILL 'EM

Still moving to Brooklyn?

Well it's nothing but rumors that Wang is shopping the team. There's no where else for them to go anywhere other than to a new city or play in the garden or the rock which I doubt are possible, as the lease is up after next season I believe. Original rumors were he was going to cut the lease short and leave for next season but I haven't heard anything of that and it's a bit late so I'm guessing unless a major announcement is made last game I'm guessing they're playing out the lease. If the popular theories are true, he'll be selling to Prokhorov(Brooklyn Nets owner if you don't know) with further rumors that because his plan was the chosen remodel for the Coliseum, which already plans for the Islander to play I believe 6 home games a year at the renovated Coliseum, that they'll just plain move back into the new Coliseum after a season or two, you know just to give time to get the construction done. Not the best plan but better than the Barclay's, won't be much more seats the new plan is still only about 14000 I think but better than 13000 or whatever it was with over a thousand being limited view and a crappy area to get to(like even worse than the Coliseum already is.

Best thing would be a complex near Citi Field but that ain't happening unfortunately. Renovated coliseum is good enough for me.

Civitate

What draft numbers are Toronto eligible for this year?

Leaf-Fan-Forever's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    What draft numbers are Toronto eligible for this year?
    Well, their first round selection will be either #1, #8, or #9 (3.6% chance at #1). No Seconds this year.