Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: NHL discussion thread

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Default NHL discussion thread

The season is well underway and it is time that we get our own thread.

So lets get it one and discuss important topics like who's going to win the league, if Detroit Red Wings will be able to complete their long term plan of creating an entire team of Swedes and whatever the US dentistry coalition will make any profits when sequestration mean that more and more athletes manage their own dentistry work.

On ice dentistry compilation

Last edited by Adar; November 26, 2013 at 02:27 AM.

Achea's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: 2013/2014 NHL discussion thread

The Lightning have been quite a surprise. Awesome forward depth on that team, plus Bishop has been a stud.

My money is on the Ducks to win the Cup. Selanne bowing out after winning a championship would be perfect.

As for the Wings creating the ultimate team of SuperSwedes, I think it's entirely possible.

Civitate

I mainly followed the NHL in the 90s and early 00s so it feel almost surrealistic to see team such as Anaheim and Tampa Bay being major contenders. At least Toronto still sucks .

Daniel Sedin scored his 300th goal this week and to me it really look odd to see the impact of Swedes the history of Canadas (currently) greatest hockey team. Essentially all records except the number of penalty minutes are dominated by Swedes (the lists).

But I don't know what's worst for a Canadian. The dominance of Swedes in Vancouver or the fact that the bloody Canucks are doing better than the other teams

Got the new NHL 14 and i like it a lot so far. Been in the middle of moving/finishiing up movign so haven't watched a game in the past couple of weeks. My Wild aren't doing so well though and now Parise is out.

Jakethe_Snake15's Avatar Ordinarius

Honestly...the worst thing about being in residence in my University, is that I don't really get to watch the NHL, unless I go home on the weekend. Now, that being said, the good part of this is that I don't have to watch the Oilers play horribly.

I got tickets (long story) from a friend to go to the Oilers/Columbus game - the 7-0 blowout...was such a great game to be at...and then they...6-2 right now against Phoenix. I can't even act surprised at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Spader/Alan Shore "Boston Legal"
    I've always been convinced that friends should encourage friends to have their heads examined.

I WUB PUGS's Avatar OOH KILL 'EM

We get the new thread just as the Leafs have gone into full tank mode. Sweet.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by I WUB PUGS View Post
    We get the new thread just as the Leafs have gone into full tank mode. Sweet.
    Well both came much later this year than usual .

LIES!

The Leafs collapse in February/March.

Civitate

LIES!

The Leafs collapse in February/March.
    Not every season is a lockout season...

Civitate

So for how many months will Shawn Thornton be suspended?
    http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=504880

I would say that this is one of the worst assaults I've seen. The Bertuzzi more incident was an accident as Bertuzzi threw him onto the ice and everyone piled on top of him. But Thornton threw him to the ice and then knocked him unconscious with his fist.

In normal life that means jail time...

Jakethe_Snake15's Avatar Ordinarius

I'm thinking Thornton will get around 10 games. 15 at the absolute max. This, after all, is the NHL where consistent punishment just doesn't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Spader/Alan Shore "Boston Legal"
    I've always been convinced that friends should encourage friends to have their heads examined.

Gotta say, not high on Orpik or Paul Martin. Would have liked Erik Johnson out there for sure and to be honest, i thought Jack Johnson would have been a good pick considering how well he played in 2010(despite having a rough NHL season). Also can't believe they didn't bump someone for Bobby Ryan. A lot of people seemed to be pissed on that one. Cory Schneider probably could have been on there over Jimmie Howard, but i could care less about who our third goalie is since they probably will never see the ice.

Civitate

Is the US team comparatively weak this year or am I just out of the loop when it comes to American top players?

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Is the US team comparatively weak this year or am I just out of the loop when it comes to American top players?
    Its basically the same team as last Olympics, but the players were all really young last Olympics. Team USA doesn't have star quality center depth, that's the big knock. Goaltending is also a question, but really, who the hell knows how good Ryan Miller is until he gets SOME defense in front of him and some scoring too. Leaving Ryan at home was dumb and Orpik is useless. I think Burke was a better GM, but meh, the team is largely the same.

The Canadians make a big deal about how good they are in comparison to Team USA, but they have goaltending questions too. Its just that their Center depth is undeniable. Team USA has better 2-Way players IMO and even with Crosby as the 1C, I'd still take JVR-Pavelski-Kessel as maybe the best top line in the tournament. You can't duplicate chemistry like JVR and Kessel have in the time given. Pavelski is a massive upgrade on Bozak or Kadri so that top line should make some serious noise.

Team USA is lacking in "star power" though. That BS star power though is something that mettles in Canada's roster decisions. I think they should ice their best roster in a long time, but even pretending to discuss putting PK Subban as a "depth defenseman" is retarded. He's arguably the best defenseman in the world. Definitely the best 2 way. I'd take Karlsson over him though just because, why play D when you're able to generate O instantly? But Subban will probably sit because Weber, Doughty, Keith and Bouwmeester "deserve" minutes. Saying that Vlasic or Petriengelo are better than Subban is a crime.

Canada usually flubs through the tournament anyway. Don't forget that Team USA didn't lose a game until the Gold Medal Game, they dominated the whole tournament until that game when Canada knew they had to win or see Vancouver burn.

There's no reason why Sweden and Russia shouldn't make easy runs, but who knows. Same with Canada. These tournaments are about who gels quicker. I like the chemistry on Team USA.

Civitate

Its basically the same team as last Olympics, but the players were all really young last Olympics. Team USA doesn't have star quality center depth, that's the big knock. Goaltending is also a question, but really, who the hell knows how good Ryan Miller is until he gets SOME defense in front of him and some scoring too. Leaving Ryan at home was dumb and Orpik is useless. I think Burke was a better GM, but meh, the team is largely the same.

The Canadians make a big deal about how good they are in comparison to Team USA, but they have goaltending questions too. Its just that their Center depth is undeniable. Team USA has better 2-Way players IMO and even with Crosby as the 1C, I'd still take JVR-Pavelski-Kessel as maybe the best top line in the tournament. You can't duplicate chemistry like JVR and Kessel have in the time given. Pavelski is a massive upgrade on Bozak or Kadri so that top line should make some serious noise.

Team USA is lacking in "star power" though. That BS star power though is something that mettles in Canada's roster decisions. I think they should ice their best roster in a long time, but even pretending to discuss putting PK Subban as a "depth defenseman" is retarded. He's arguably the best defenseman in the world. Definitely the best 2 way. I'd take Karlsson over him though just because, why play D when you're able to generate O instantly? But Subban will probably sit because Weber, Doughty, Keith and Bouwmeester "deserve" minutes. Saying that Vlasic or Petriengelo are better than Subban is a crime.

Canada usually flubs through the tournament anyway. Don't forget that Team USA didn't lose a game until the Gold Medal Game, they dominated the whole tournament until that game when Canada knew they had to win or see Vancouver burn.

There's no reason why Sweden and Russia shouldn't make easy runs, but who knows. Same with Canada. These tournaments are about who gels quicker. I like the chemistry on Team USA.
    Cheers for the update. I have a lot of respect for USA as they play a lot like Canada but without being a bunch of s when it comes to hockey. But my coverage of NHL is limited so it is hard to keep track of good two way players who aren't Swedish or located in New York (we have an eccentric correspondent covering Obama and Henrik Lundkvist living there).

Also, congratulations to Finland for winning the juniors. Their deep defence and a good goalie really allowed them to soak up pressure and make the most out of their star players. It's rare for me to see tactics so clearly in hockey but Finland was very impressive in how they carried out their tactics.

Civitate

This article on the US team selection was very interesting. But I must say that I am very surprised by how little involvement the coaches had in the selection process. In Sweden we have Pär Mårts as "Förbundskapten" which mean that he is responsible for both team selection and coaching the team. I understand that the US coach position isn't full time but from a national perspective I think it is a major advantage to have a coach who can take responsible for both team selection and coaching.

It is also interesting to note that 3 of the 4 top goalies in the Swedish and American teams are in in direct competition with each other in their clubs.

Detroit

Jonas Gustavsson GP 17 Sv% 0.914 GAA 2.39
    Jim Howard GP 24 Sv% 0.911 GAA 2.65

Ottawa
    Robin Lehner GP 19 Sv% 0.922 GAA 2.68
    Craig Anderson GP 29 Sv% 0.904 GAA 3.16

Buffalo
    Jhonas Enroth GP 13 Sv% 0.91 GAA 2.6
    Ryan Miller GP 30 Sv% 0.927 GAA 2.64

Current rumours are that Sweden will select Jonas Gustavsson and Jhonas Enroth as our 2nd and 3rd goalkeepers so we would pretty much mirror the US team in our selections. But personally I would even rate Robin Lehner as our first goalkeeper considering Henrik Lundkvists lack of form so I really hope that the experts are wrong on this matter.

With Jonas Gustavsson and Robin Lehner we would also have two players who according to their stats are outperforming their American competitors despite the American goalkeeper getting more game time.

Civitate

Here are the Swedish and Finnish teams:

Sweden

I am a bit disappointed on the goaltending side as I feel that Henrik Lundqvist is out of form while Jhonas and Jonas really aren't cut out to be first choice goalies.

Otherwise I think it is all highly reasonable. We got some really good puck movers among the defenders and our physical presence among the defenders is also fairly impressive. On the offensive side I think we are really miss a power forward like Peter Forsberg but otherwise it look pretty good.

Målvakter:

Henrik Lundqvist, NY Rangers
    Jhonas Enroth, Buffalo Sabres
    Jonas Gustavsson, Detroit Red Wings

Backar:
    Oliver Ekman Larsson, Phoenix Coyotes
    Niklas Hjalmarsson, Chicago Blackhawks
    Niklas Kronwall, Detroit Red Wings
    Henrik Tallinder, Buffalo Sabres
    Alexander Edler, Vancouver Canucks
    Johnny Oduya, Chicago Blackhawks
    Jonathan Ericsson, Detroit Red Wings
    Erik Karlsson, Ottawa Senators

Forwards:
    Daniel Alfredsson, Detroit Red Wings
    Nicklas Bäckström, Washington Capitals
    Patrik Berglund, St. Louis Blues
    Jimmie Ericsson, Skellefteå AIK
    Loui Eriksson, Boston Bruins
    Johan Franzén, Detroit Red Wings
    Carl Hagelin, New York Rangers
    Marcus Krüger, Chicago Blackhawks
    Gabriel Landeskog, Colorado Avalanche
    Daniel Sedin, Vancouver Canucks
    Henrik Sedin, Vancouver Canucks
    Jakob Silfverberg, Anaheim Ducks
    Alexander Steen, St. Louis Blues
    Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit Red Wings (K)

Finland
    The Finnish success in the juniors really couldn't have come more timely than this. Because the team is essentially a mixture of excellent goalkeeping, ageing stars and unknown players who can work really hard. But at least they are younger than the Czech team .

Målvakter
    Antti Niemi, San Jose Sharks
    Kari Lehtonen, Dallas Stars
    Tuukka Rask, Boston Bruins

Backar
    Olli Määttä, Pittsburgh Penguins
    Ossi Väänänen, Jokerit
    Lasse Kukkonen, Kärpät
    Sami Salo, Tampa Bay Lightning
    Sami Lepistö, Avtomobilist
    Juuso Hietanen, Torpedo
    Kimmo Timonen, Philadelphia Flyers
    Sami Vatanen, Anaheim Ducks

Forwards
    Teemu Selänne, Anaheim Ducks
    Mikko Koivu, Minnesota Wild
    Olli Jokinen, Winnipeg Jets
    Tuomo Ruutu, Carolina Hurricanes
    Aleksander Barkov, Florida Panthers
    Jori Lehterä, Sibir
    Petri Kontiola, Traktor
    Lauri Korpikoski, Phoenix
    Jussi Jokinen, Pittsburgh Penguins
    Antti Pihlström,Salavat Julajev
    Juhamatti Aaltonen, Kärpät
    Valtteri Filppula, Tampa Bay Lightning
    Mikael Granlund, Minnesota Wild
    Leo Komarov, Dinamo Moskva

Do most of those Finns play in KHL? I'm not recognizing the team names, they don't look Finnish though.

I know Komarov and Moscow Dynamo obviously since he left the Leafs for them.

Did they name Niemi as the starter? Would've thought Rask had a shot there.

There is plenty of talent on the Swedish roster, but it is less imposing than the years when the likes of Forsberg, Sundin, Homstrom and Lidstrom filled out the roster..................but the goaltending is much better than the years when it was just Tommy Salo (HA!).

I have a hockey card at my fathers house somewhere. I'll never forget it. Tommy Salo on the Islanders and there's a beach ball that some fan threw on the ice next to him.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast