Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: NHL discussion thread

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Default Re: NHL discussion thread

This is one of the things I will never understand with NHL right now. Seems like some people believe you should start a fight every time your star get tackled.

But kind of funny that Richardson lose badly to an anonymous rookie when he instigates the fight .

Quote Originally Posted by I WUB PUGS View Post
    ............getting closer now...........everyday just another day closer.........
    And we are done.... .

Civitate

Swedish media today:

Attempting a crossover as Swedish football player put a hockey style tackle on Yaya Toure from Manchester City.

But there is a certain resemblence.

Civitate

Who was it that called the trade of Filip Forsberg from Capitals to Nashville a really shortsighted move?

You have earned a digital cookie for that assessment .

Jakethe_Snake15's Avatar Ordinarius

As per Darren Dreger, Eakins is out in Edmonton. MacTavish is stepping in as interim head coach. ing hell.

I'm done with the Oilers for now. I just can't stand this team's management anymore. Even if MacT brings them success in the rest of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Spader/Alan Shore "Boston Legal"
    I've always been convinced that friends should encourage friends to have their heads examined.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethe_Snake15 View Post
    As per Darren Dreger, Eakins is out in Edmonton. MacTavish is stepping in as interim head coach. ing hell.

I'm done with the Oilers for now. I just can't stand this team's management anymore. Even if MacT brings them success in the rest of the season.
    There are two teams I really struggle to understand, Edmonton and Toronto. Two teams with great histories but which seem to have gotten stuck on an endless road of disasters.

I watched the highlights reel of Arizona vs Toronto yesterday and I must say that Torontos first two concessions were amazing. Apparently Bernier was great up until the first goal but... Just wow.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=2014020714-490-h

But apparently it isn't even the longest conceded goal from a Toronto goalkeeper
    Last edited by Adar; January 30, 2015 at 12:05 AM.

The Oilers are, as is par for the course, following their pattern of the last few seasons - play terribly until it doesn't matter anymore, and then play just well enough to make everyone begin to wonder what could have been.

At least the odds are overwhelmingly against the odds of the Oilers ruining Connor McDavid's career. Jack Eichel on the other hand...
    I've always been convinced that friends should encourage friends to have their heads examined.

Civitate

So 5 out of 7 Canadian got into the playoffs but not the two teams most popular among the TWCenter membership. Is this why this thread is so silent right now ?

Anyway, as usual I kind of support the NY Rangers because of Swedish journalist coverage and Detroit Red Wings due to the high number of Swedish players. As a bonus i also hope that the Montreal Canadiens get slashed out of the playoffs.

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

I want the isles to at least go to the conference final, mainly because rag bandwagon will be insufferable if the islanders do any less than win a round, and if the rags beat the islanders. I doubt the penguins will win this series but in the highly unlikely chance that happens I'd be pissed if the islanders were to lose to them either since the pens are such a garbage team this year but at least i won't have to listen to morons about it in person.

I haven't really bothered to think of the other divisions match ups but outside the islanders I'm rooting for Tampa. Montreal wouldn't be bad i guess.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Stupid phone, double post
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

I'll be honest. I'm pumped. McDavid.

But. Its still been 9 calendar years since the last playoff appearance. 4 1st overalls in 6 years. That's nothing to be proud of.

McDavid will be great to see in an Oilers uniform, but I still want to see the Oilers actually make the playoffs here before I'm finished my bachelor's degree (halfway through, but I'm taking a year...so they got 3 more years).

Achea's Avatar Ordinarius

So stoked for McDavid it's unreal......McD Drai Nuge Lander Gordon is some nice looking centre depth going forward (and Roy for next year if they resign him)!

Civitate

Wow, no one could be bothered about the NHL playoffs .

Anyway, the draft is coming up and I am wondering about this article: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=771541

It is a re-draft of the draft in 2000 and I am a bit surprised that so few first round selections were successful. Only 2 out of the 20 first choices were selected in the first round and I got two questions.

1) Was this an especially weak draft?

2) What is your general opinion of the draft, is it a good indicator of long term talent or fairly random?

The draft can be incredibly random. After all, there is nothing consistent about how a person will develop.

That being said, I think its something like 40% of 1st round picks will play at least 100 games in the NHL, after that 1st round, the percentages just drop. 2003 was also an incredible draft year. Shea Weber was a 40th overall pick that year, wasn't he? Out of 30 players in the 1st round that year, only 2 played fewer than 100 games (Hugh Jessiman, NYR, 2 games played; Shawn Belle, St. Louis, 20 games played) and a third (...Marc Antoine-Pouliot ...my "wonderful" Oilers could've picked Parise twice that year, but traded down in the draft both times to get Pouliot, when Corey Perry was still available as was Mike Richards) who hadn't played more than 200 games.

That being said, 2003 was an exceptional year. Patrice Bergeron, Shea Weber, Corey Crawford and David Backes were all second round picks that year. So was Maxim Lapierre.

Some of the best players of the last 2 or 3 decades were 4th round or later picks - I think Dominik Hasek was a 7th round pick by Buffalo, and Lundqvist, Zetterburg and Datsyuk were all late picks too.

Then there are the teams who just suck consistently at picking. Year after year. That may be a developmental problem more than anything else though.