Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: PERFORMANCE BOOST.... i5, processors

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

Default PERFORMANCE BOOST.... i5, processors

i have found that if you free up core 0 and let the game run on cores 1,2 and 3 it is giving much better performance and a smoother ride on my i5 processor,
    noticably smoother {playing v/high..ultra} how to http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...formance-edge/ just untick core 0 for rome2.exe

and possibly this .. http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...-Give-it-a-try

set ....gfx_direct_resource_access false; # gfx_direct_resource_access <bool>, Enable Direct Resource Access #...to true
    and
    set gfx_video_memory -2147483648; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) #

you can see the guys whole preferences txt in the pastebin link {i think he has a 3gb gpu memory}
    Last edited by GRANTO; November 27, 2013 at 09:41 PM.

Default Re: PERFORMANCE BOOST

How do we do that?
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable Bolkonskij

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748
    "By purple death I'm seized and fate supreme."- Julian the Apostate

Interesting. I have been flipping the cores on and off every few turns to gain back some lost framerates.

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

thanks I'll try it

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

I will give it a try. Thanks!
    Do I need to do it everytimne I launch Rome 2?
    Last edited by paradamed; November 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM.

I havent benchmarked it yet, but I think you might be right.

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

Tried it, still not with fraps but the evidence is that this suggestion works. On extreme details, 14.000 men in mountain battlefield with some forest when the armies were clashing NO lag, no immediate slowdown of framerates. Would try it with sieges and in other battles. (1.start Rome II 2.open task manager 3.right click on RomeII.exe 4.set affinity: check only 1/2/3 cores. Uncheck core 0 My cpud i5 3570k) thanks Granto +rep

Yep definite performance boost + Rep
    "To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true" ~ Aristotle

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Nice, I'll try this as soon as I can.

Just had yet another FPS slideshow and freeze frame seizure during a siege that wasn't even remotely taxing in terms of numbers. So much for optimization, 7 patches later.

thanks bro i give that a shot!! Btw did u guys got a huge framerate and graphic improvement with recent patch. just notice mine running really smooth with decent to look at units at high settingon my so n so com.

Mmmm what do you think I should try with 8 cores?, all off except 1 2 3?

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Wondering if this works also with i3 (2 thread 2 HT).

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Tested and it does feel a lot smoother. Beats having to reset the cpu affinity every now and then. This tweak plus the max pre rendered frames has made the campaign map butter smooth. Might try defaulting the max pre rendered frames and see if i can make do without it.

Quote Originally Posted by DramaBelli View Post
    Tried it, still not with fraps but the evidence is that this suggestion works. On extreme details, 14.000 men in mountain battlefield with some forest when the armies were clashing NO lag, no immediate slowdown of framerates. Would try it with sieges and in other battles. (1.start Rome II 2.open task manager 3.right click on RomeII.exe 4.set affinity: check only 1/2/3 cores. Uncheck core 0 My cpud i5 3570k) thanks Granto +rep
    I remember seeing something like this where we can automatically set to run specific .exe like this without having to manually do every time we play the game. Any idea ?

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    I remember seeing something like this where we can automatically set to run specific .exe like this without having to manually do every time we play the game. Any idea ?
    I used the syntax from that guide above but it doesn't seem to work if you only set it to run for Rome2.exe. It only seems to work if you set it for steam.exe but the downside in that is that every steam game will also inherit the same amount of cores. So if you run the command for Steam to run with 3 cores, then every subsequent game will also run with 3 cores. The batch command i use is ..

start /affinity E F:\Steam\Steam.exe

The 'E' denotes affinity for core 1,2 and 3. You can refer to the following link to set your cores accordingly. http://www.binaryhexconverter.com/bi...-hex-converter

Alternatively, you can use Process Lasso which allows you to easily set affinity and priority for individual applications. But i would like to know if anyone knows a better way to create a batch file without going through Steam.

You can try EasyToolz from (It's in German), http://www.computerbild.de/download/...z-1586033.html. This page,http://voices.yahoo.com/assign-progr...-12300767.html, explains in English how you can assign programs to easytoolz. I dont select CPU 0, but CPU 1 to CPU 7 i select (i7 processor).

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by GRANTO View Post
    i have found that if you free up core 0 and lett the game run on cores 1,2 and 3 it is giving much better performance and a smoother ride on my i5 processor,
    noticably smoother {playing v/high..ultra} how to http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...formance-edge/ just untick core 0 for rome2.exe
    Yes, yes, yes.... Doing it right now. Freeing up core 0 and let the game run on cores 1 and tw..... Oh wait, there is no 2 and 3! ! CRAP! TOTAL SHUTDOWN!
    RTWRM - back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by hfi View Post
    I used the syntax from that guide above but it doesn't seem to work if you only set it to run for Rome2.exe. It only seems to work if you set it for steam.exe but the downside in that is that every steam game will also inherit the same amount of cores. So if you run the command for Steam to run with 3 cores, then every subsequent game will also run with 3 cores. The batch command i use is ..

start /affinity E F:\Steam\Steam.exe

The 'E' denotes affinity for core 1,2 and 3. You can refer to the following link to set your cores accordingly. http://www.binaryhexconverter.com/bi...-hex-converter

Alternatively, you can use Process Lasso which allows you to easily set affinity and priority for individual applications. But i would like to know if anyone knows a better way to create a batch file without going through Steam.
    I don't mind if it runs through Steam though as long as it also run for the game (and not just Steam).

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    I don't mind if it runs through Steam though as long as it also run for the game (and not just Steam).
    I've tested it and it does work for Rome2 as long as you set it for steam.exe

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

seems to me that CA made this game to choke on core 0 {along with the rest of your cpu programmes},
    freeing up core 0 allows the game to be free of the choke of competing with everything else on your cpu,
    i was getting high usage of core 0 but not much else on 1,2,and 3
    after unticking 0 im now getting high use of 1,2 and 3 cores....i would guess it would work the same for i7
    stuttering is gone and the gameplay is silky now

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast