Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: PERFORMANCE BOOST.... i5, processors

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

will do ....but someone must know about this over there though , its pretty basic stuff computer wise...are CA really to far gone to even notice a trick like this {surely not},
    every total war game iv played for years {since dual core} iv always diverted it away from core 0...even rome 1 will run better away from the main core 0

found this over at the official forum http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...ps-to-gain-FPS...... so thats good...... CA must act for the next patch....or choose to ignore it
    Last edited by AngryTitusPullo; November 26, 2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: double post

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: PERFORMANCE BOOST

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    You can't start Rome II without Steam, but you can start it in one go:
    <path_to_steam>\Steam.exe -applauch 214950
    so I guess it would be
    start /affinity E F:\Steam\Steam.exe -applauch 214950
    for you.

Has anyone compared end of turn times with this? They're my main problem with R2.
    If my game is located on D:\Game Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Rome II how shall I set it ? And how to create is as short cut desktop so I don't have to go to cmd everytime ?

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Default Re: PERFORMANCE BOOST.... i5,i7 processors

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    If my game is located on D:\Game Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Rome II how shall I set it ? And how to create is as short cut desktop so I don't have to go to cmd everytime ?
    Basically, create a "start_rome.bat" text file containing the commands; if you double-click it, it should execute them.

BUT
    Quote Originally Posted by hfi View Post
    Hmm I can't get it to work. I did have to amend the syntax a bit but it still didn't work. The problem i think is that it brings up the launcher and when you click Play, it will re-invoke the exe command without the /affinity.
    hmmm yes that's a problem.
    You'll probably not get around starting Steam first... but then it should work to start Rome.exe directly with the start /affinity command.

Quote Originally Posted by GRANTO View Post
    its pretty basic stuff computer wise...[...] CA must act for the next patch....or choose to ignore it
    Software cannot choose itself on which processor cores it will or will not run as a matter of principle, that's up to the user. CA cannot add this in a patch.

BTW has anyone done any proper systematic timings at all regarding this effect? The 3 FPS in the benchmark sounds like it's within margin of error if you just run it once.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    Basically, create a "start_rome.bat" text file containing the commands; if you double-click it, it should execute them.

BUT

hmmm yes that's a problem.
    You'll probably not get around starting Steam first... but then it should work to start Rome.exe directly with the start /affinity command.

Software cannot choose itself on which processor cores it will or will not run as a matter of principle, that's up to the user. CA cannot add this in a patch.

BTW has anyone done any proper systematic timings at all regarding this effect? The 3 FPS in the benchmark sounds like it's within margin of error if you just run it once.
    I got an error "windows could not find D:\GameFiles\Steam.exe"

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Judging by all the comments i read on here, this sounds like it really does work. Can't wait to try it when I go home.
    To offend us is to offend God

Default Re: PERFORMANCE BOOST

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    You have to use double quote because of the whitespace in the file path. Try Daniu's method first but if you have no luck with that try one for Steam.exe.

start "" /affinity E "D:\Game Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 214950

or

start "" /affinity E "D:\Game Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe"

Although this says Intel, is it confirmed to work with AMD CPUs?
    PC Specs
    Mobo: MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 790FX CPU: AMD 8350 @ 4.3GHz GPU: 2xHD7870s RAM: 16GB Case: Antec P280

Quote Originally Posted by SupAll View Post
    Although this says Intel, is it confirmed to work with AMD CPUs?
    dont know....try and report cheers

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

I have no idea if this was posted yet but I saw Granto's post about unparking on my profile and this immediately came to mind.

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Does someone tested this solution on the Hasswell processor?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

tried on an i7, no immediate differences in benchmark. But I notice regardless, RTW2 always ignores cores 4 and 7

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

1. This should be post in the Ca official forum, YES...eh eh...

2. Wil try to report fraps and result of other test, especially using vanilla ultra sizes

3. If the game will be optimsed concretely and not with fake tricks like scaling graphics and animations or reducing colours variety, this Cores configuration will be a little revolution

Would try it also with Shogun 2

Would be great:

-AMD CPU reports

-HASWELL reports

Granto saved me from patch 7

Mine is Intel E8400, Graphic setting low.
    if run on CPU 1 only - 47.6 FPS
    if run on both CPU 0 and CPU 1 - 70 FPS.
    Maybe warscape engine run faster in old cpu ? lol

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

i have found that if you free up core 0 and let the game run on cores 1,2 and 3 it is giving much better performance and a smoother ride on my i5 processor,
    noticably smoother {playing v/high..ultra} how to http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...formance-edge/ just untick core 0 for rome2.exe
    Actually all you need to do is toggle core0 off/on and it will rebalance the load properly... you don't need to leave it off and may get even better performance using all four cores.

Although that way, you have to do it once per session. Using automatic methods like some are suggesting is probably more convenient, but you'd be theoretically gimping yourself... haven't measured.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu Paifuaa View Post
    Actually all you need to do is toggle core0 off/on and it will rebalance the load properly... you don't need to leave it off and may get even better performance using all four cores.

Although that way, you have to do it once per session. Using automatic methods like some are suggesting is probably more convenient, but you'd be theoretically gimping yourself... haven't measured.
    yeah i tried that..for me performance is better with 0 unticked it may vary for others

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

yeah i tried that..for me performance is better with 0 unticked it may vary for others
    Ah, I see.

I knew I should have tempered that statement with "in my experience..." or some such

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu Paifuaa View Post
    Ah, I see.

I knew I should have tempered that statement with "in my experience..." or some such
    i was even just testing with 2 cores there , it lets my gpu turbo boost go higher.......interesting
    Last edited by GRANTO; November 26, 2013 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidious View Post
    tried on an i7, no immediate differences in benchmark. But I notice regardless, RTW2 always ignores cores 4 and 7
    Yeah, no noticeable differences on a Haswell i7 4770k, at least in my quick tests (13000 men battle runs fine either way, 26000 men battle runs badly either way. That's on all maximum settings, except for vegetation alpha)
    believe in nothing.

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

Well, GRANTO, I'm back after a test with Dxtory to measure fps.
    17000 men in deep forest with RAIN, same settings previously declared: all extreme except shadows(low). All enabled except veg Alpha.

I notice a standard of 4 fps more. So, where I had previously 9 fps is now13/14. where 12 now 17 etc.

The point is that as you've said this morning, more than a question of fraps, this is a matter of how the game runs: no lag and good 20 fpds in melee. The sensation is of a smoother game, cause when you zoom in or out or you move fast the camera you cannot experience slowdown.

No verified cpu temps BUT even if too empyrical, running this battle the heat from the upper fan was lower than previously. It's annoying manage the task manager everytime you launch the game but at last it's worthly and very useful.

What I still ask is: what if the gpu would be used properly by this game?

Sorry

I tried your "workaround" but its not work for me

Unticked only 0, the rest 1-7 keep ticked = nothing changes

Unticked 0 and 4-7 and leave 1-3 ticked = nothing changes

Its sad, not work for my system

I use INTEL i7 3770 CPU (4 cores, 8 threads)
    Its easy to make war with others, its never been easy when we need a peace.

My holy damn simple tactic; Strike First, Strike HARD and SHOW NO MERCY.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast