Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Great War 5.1 | General Suggestions and Questions Thread

LordEdmund1973's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: Some proposed enhancements

Here's an idea: Not all the armies at the start of the war (or indeed throughout) would have equal capabilities, due to armament, training, culture etc. Why don't we have the vanilla stats for each of the nations made unique to represent the capabilities of their armed forces, unit to unit? For example, the New Zealand infantry were widely known as the best on the Western Front, and probably the best troops in the entire war. Why don't they have stats to reflect this? Of course, they, like Australian and Canadian troops, were high quality, but extremely costly in terms of reinforcing and payment costs. On the other hand, due to the incompetence of the staff, Austrian troops were quite possibly potatoes in blue serge uniforms. Serbian regular troops should be excellent due to them being veterans of the Balkan Wars, but be hideously expensive and recruitment limited. Russian regular troops should also be inadequate like the Austrians, due to their humiliation against Japan, but be bolstered by a selection of elite units such as the Sumskoi Hussars. German regulars should be very good due to the quality of their junior officers, whilst France should not be far behind them. British regulars should be excellent, but like the Serbs, prohibitively expensive and recruitment limited due to the small professional army that existed at the time. The elite Ottoman troops should be known as the Young Turks, who were troops allied to Mustafa Kemal and his organisation and who fought harder and better than any other Ottoman formations. Of course, once one gets to conscription, the differences between nations should become less pronounced, but I want the campaign to make it so that I feel like I have to recruit conscripts, rather than regular infantry. I almost never recruit conscripts, and almost never have the need to.

Also, the French economy needs to be toned down a little. Hard to program perhaps, since the mod is based off a game set when France was overpowered, but if at all possible just toned down a little. I played a campaign as France where I only liberated (except for Alsace-Lorraine) and can field five full-stack armies in mid 1916 with no conscripts and making over 10k a turn.

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

Does it have naval part with WWI ships ?

This game for me is not playable. It is well done and has potential, but:
    The naval crews still look napoleonic
    The cities that have been brought into the battle maps look blocky, low res, and out of place-they ruin the siege battles
    The general models and agent models on the map don't look right often, or are Napoleonic in appearance

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Default Re: The Great War 5.1 | General Suggestions and Questions Thread

So the artillery, machine guns and tanks arent doing it for you huh?

Litany of fury's Avatar Libertus

For me I would definitely like to see the Ottomans get a buff, every campaign they seem to be a bit of sideshow faction that literally does nothing for most of the game apart from expel Russian ships from it's harbour. They were a major faction in World war 1 after all and see'ing that we can't expand the map it seems to make sense to give them a buff (extra money and possibly a decent starting army) and allow them to impact european affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by taylor1 View Post
    This game for me is not playable. It is well done and has potential, but:
    The naval crews still look napoleonic
    The cities that have been brought into the battle maps look blocky, low res, and out of place-they ruin the siege battles
    The general models and agent models on the map don't look right often, or are Napoleonic in appearance
    Haha I would like to see you do better.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    So the artillery, machine guns and tanks arent doing it for you huh?
    I think he has a right to complain after it has been more than a year since the last release, which is still plagued by bugs and unfinished work...

Quote Originally Posted by LordEdmund1973 View Post
    Also, the French economy needs to be toned down a little. Hard to program perhaps, since the mod is based off a game set when France was overpowered, but if at all possible just toned down a little. I played a campaign as France where I only liberated (except for Alsace-Lorraine) and can field five full-stack armies in mid 1916 with no conscripts and making over 10k a turn.
    Actually we (that is, B-DizL) recently found out how to fix this issue.

In the process, we may also resolve the issue Litany of Fury mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
    I think he has a right to complain after it has been more than a year since the last release, which is still plagued by bugs and unfinished work...
    Not quite a year (5.1.4 was released in the spring) but certainly approaching one.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

I'm not entirely sure of this is possible, but would you be able to import ship models from Fall of the Samurai?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Litany of fury View Post
    For me I would definitely like to see the Ottomans get a buff, every campaign they seem to be a bit of sideshow faction that literally does nothing for most of the game apart from expel Russian ships from it's harbour. They were a major faction in World war 1 after all and see'ing that we can't expand the map it seems to make sense to give them a buff (extra money and possibly a decent starting army) and allow them to impact european affairs.

Haha I would like to see you do better.
    Yeah this is a big issue for me too and working to solve the issues with the Ottomans ive gone ahead and done pretty much an entire overhaul of the startpos, mostly tweaks and adjustments which we plan to release sometime soon.

The Ottomans now (in a test campaign) took Serbia, Romania (both regions) and started attacking Russia. Ive given them almost a full stack to start with and increased the income of their region by thousands of dollars. They also have a small fleet with a battlecruiser and some light cruisers.

IF you guys only knew the amount of time/work it took to make TGW 5 i think you would have a different opinion about the whole thing. Plus remember we have lives and what not.

Keep in mind we're doing this for free for YOUR enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePolishDude92 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure of this is possible, but would you be able to import ship models from Fall of the Samurai?
    Theres no converter for NTW ship models that i know of anyway

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post

IF you guys only knew the amount of time/work it took to make TGW 5 i think you would have a different opinion about the whole thing. Plus remember we have lives and what not.

Keep in mind we're doing this for free for YOUR enjoyment.

Trust me, I know how much work goes into things like this, and as ever we can only be grateful for your hard work.

But it has been so long since the last patch, so many issues have gone unfixed - it begs the question why it was released in such a state in the first place and not made more stable before release. I personally have held off on downloading the mod ever since last year because of all the issues people were having; I check this forum every few weeks to see if there has been progress made, and there never has. What do you expect from people if not a measure of discontent?

Trust me, I know how much work goes into things like this, and as ever we can only be grateful for your hard work.

But it has been so long since the last patch, so many issues have gone unfixed - it begs the question why it was released in such a state in the first place and not made more stable before release. I personally have held off on downloading the mod ever since last year because of all the issues people were having; I check this forum every few weeks to see if there has been progress made, and there never has. What do you expect from people if not a measure of discontent?
    The mod was originally released in a unprepared state because we set a personal deadline for release, and faced major campaign difficulties in the run up to that deadline. More than a few people have told me/us that we should have released later, which is fair.

But, in the month after the initial release we worked on a major patch and several smaller ones. Then later on, we released 5.1.4 to fix some more outstanding issues. There currently have another update under works which will hopefully improve the mod as well.

You're right to be discontent. I am too, with certain aspects of the mod (with other aspects, I'm pleased beyond any prior expectation). I'm also a bit frustrated with NTW in general, I think it's fair to say that the base game is responsible for a nontrivial portion of our issues.The issue is time: none of us have much of it. It's not that we released 5.0 and then stopped, satisfied. It's that we released 5.0 knowing full well that our current mod team would face ever-increasing commitments elsewhere. And unfortunately, not enough people have stepped in to help out.

Hopefully that clarifies a bit, if nothing else.

Patrician

As Sama said, fair enough. Another major issue was not having enough playtesters.

The deadline really was the biggest issue, yes deadlines are very important but it caused things to be released rather unfinished.

One thing to consider though is Rome 2, a game that cost millions of dollars to produce with a team of many dozens of people. When it released it was an utter disaster and considered by many to be unplayable. We made our mod with a team of 5ish main modders for free and id say we had about the same number of issues as Rome 2 IMO, so we did rather well for ourselves id say

Also as Sama said there is a new patch in the works that already contains many fixes and some new features.
    Last edited by B-DizL; January 14, 2015 at 06:14 PM.

Is it possible to take "Napoleon's Battles" and rework it for battles from WWI? Like, replace Waterloo with the Verdun and the Battle of the Pyramids with Tripoli? Something like that so we won't have to make it ourselves and can just click on it for some instant action?

Aussie-tosser's Avatar Tiro

In the next patch can we hope for improved trenches? Maybe at the very least earthworks that cover both sides regardless of collision issues and so on.
    Looking forward to the next patch regardless.

Hi TGC Team just a little constructional criticism for the units the helmets and boots and game models are done very well, but is it possible to work on the individual units for the next release...? For example none of the infantry units have ammunition pouches that is very unhistorical. In the next update can you add ammunition pouches and belts? Also, early German infantry was more of a grayish green with red trimmings, and like beige yellowish ammunition pouches and belts, is it possible in the next release to add these style German infantry..? Thank you and your mod is amazing!

Hello fellow artists and modders. I been looking at all the great LetsPlays of this amazing mod. Though I'm not sure if I'm the first one to ask. But can generals build permanent trench like forts? Just asking, if that would be possible. In a sense like building the french maginot line. Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one asking... but is there anyone trying to break the caramel naval secret, to mod the naval ship?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Poetic Pariah View Post
    Is it possible to take "Napoleon's Battles" and rework it for battles from WWI? Like, replace Waterloo with the Verdun and the Battle of the Pyramids with Tripoli? Something like that so we won't have to make it ourselves and can just click on it for some instant action?
    That would be pretty cool but all those maps are already in the custom battle section and it may take more work than its worth to set it up that way. But another team member might know more about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie-tosser View Post
    In the next patch can we hope for improved trenches? Maybe at the very least earthworks that cover both sides regardless of collision issues and so on.
    Looking forward to the next patch regardless.
    Its possible but was rejected by the team for the fact that they would walk through it looks more wonky than just having 1 sided trenches. A sub mod could do this of course, that way the player will have the choice of having that way instead of forcing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoli23 View Post
    Hi TGC Team just a little constructional criticism for the units the helmets and boots and game models are done very well, but is it possible to work on the individual units for the next release...? For example none of the infantry units have ammunition pouches that is very unhistorical. In the next update can you add ammunition pouches and belts? Also, early German infantry was more of a grayish green with red trimmings, and like beige yellowish ammunition pouches and belts, is it possible in the next release to add these style German infantry..? Thank you and your mod is amazing!
    I starting working on the pouches and such a while back but decided to focus on the weapons only due to time constraints. We were also worried it might slow the game down alot by having too many polys on the field, for example: give 1 soldier a pouch thats say 50 polys, then multiply that by say 2000 soldiers and you get a very slow frame rate. And thats just 1 pouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveholmes View Post
    Hello fellow artists and modders. I been looking at all the great LetsPlays of this amazing mod. Though I'm not sure if I'm the first one to ask. But can generals build permanent trench like forts? Just asking, if that would be possible. In a sense like building the french maginot line. Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one asking... but is there anyone trying to break the caramel naval secret, to mod the naval ship?
    They removed that feature in NTW so not sure if it can be reimplemented. As far as i know no one is trying to make ships editable ATM.

Domesticus

Hello!

I have a problem in version 5.1.4.

The Kingdom of Italy has the units without the number of the regiment (1st Reggiment etc ...).

First, I would say that is a great mod, but with some problems, arriving to discourage.

1-The SUPER armies forming in rebellions, do not match the reality. It is more difficult to fight the rebel army that the official army of a faction. It is very disheartening! Should be reformulated, at least ...
    Tip: only ONE rebel army, with 14 "armed civilians", 3 light infantry and a general (or without a general).

2-All factions attacking me (because I'm human), but there is almost no conflict between them!
    Tip: increase the incidence of conflict between the factions controlled by AI.

3-economy stagnates too early, you have to sell technology to have some money, but can not buy troops or start construction. Furthermore, you must create troops, to not be invaded. But creating troops will have more money to start building! How to solve it?
    Tip: increasing the budget by turn. For example, lowering the cost of upkeep army.

4-research some technologies takes a little too much.
    Tip: review the time and reduce some research.

5-Playing as German Empire, the German Revolution took place, in the game, in 1916, but in fact only took place in October / November 1918!
    Tip: change the date of the event.

Questions : These changes can be made? How I can even do them?

Sorry for my English (translator)

Are the napoleon dlcs required for the mod inorder to work?