Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great War 5.1 | General Suggestions and Questions Thread

Default Re: The Great War 5.1 | General Suggestions and Questions Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr Vasilyevich Suvorov View Post
    Minor nations could have only a few units with standard names, but they should have authentic uniforms and weapons. Different stats or "unique units" are not necessary, just different models for "Rifleman", "Machine Gunner" and other basic units. Submods may do this anyway.
    Short answer: no because priorities.

But to give you a better idea, I have two questions:
    1) Did machine gunners and riflemen actually have visually distinct uniforms?
    2) Can you find us reference pictures of sufficiently high quality (and with color) that we can make those authentic uniforms?

Assuming the answer to both is yes, we still have to make the uniforms, weapons, and models. That requires far more work than what I previously thought you meant, and the benefits, imo, wouldn't be much greater. Hence, a similar answer.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

For example, here is a picture of late-war Serbian infantry (not a photograph, but largely accurate):

So, yes, they exist and they are easy to find. A possible resource for sub-modders if they do not like all minor nations' units looking exactly the same. The number of friendly fire incidents would have been enormous...

I understand that it is hard work, but it is not impossible and having 1 model for each minor nation's infantry is better than having 10 infantry models for majors and none for minors.
    A message to CA:

Either care about history or improve modding support.

ZeEmperor's Avatar Semisalis

When we are already talking about Serbia,why dont the chetnik units have beards like this:
    https://www.google.hr/search?q=%C4%8...iw=531&bih=227

For example, here is a picture of late-war Serbian infantry (not a photograph, but largely accurate):

So, yes, they exist and they are easy to find. A possible resource for sub-modders if they do not like all minor nations' units looking exactly the same. The number of friendly fire incidents would have been enormous...

I understand that it is hard work, but it is not impossible and having 1 model for each minor nation's infantry is better than having 10 infantry models for majors and none for minors.
    First off, that's one picture of one unit from one faction of one era. Second, you could probably find all the reference pics, but short of a paid resource it wouldn't be easy. We didn't have pictures of that quality for all the major units, let alone the minors. And we do have one uniform for each minor nation's infantry - I'm fairly sure Aanker, who is far more artistic than I, saw to that.

But that's all somewhat besides the point. What's important is that, as you say, it's hard work. Which means time. Which means, you and others are free to join us in making these improvements, but short of that, we're left prioritizing.

Tiro

Icon14 Re: The Great War 5.1 | General Suggestions and Questions Thread

So far going for the uniforms of minor nations, id say that Sweden/Denmark/Norway have the same but differently coloured uniforms, same goes as im aware for the balkans and greece. Although i don't mind, i find that Sweden have the nicest uniform in the game But a late era version with a helmet(german like or such) wouldnt hurt. I do however Think that the French are a bit OP, in every game except my German Empire play they steamroll Germany, maybe the only other exception is when i take my Swedes to Russia. The Russians are okej in balance i Think though. And thank for the mod guys!! Rep coming up!
    1. "Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."- Marcus Aurelius Ceasar.
    2. "One should never need to apologise for what was light-hearted banter.."- James Purefoy

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Marcellus View Post
    So far going for the uniforms of minor nations, id say that Sweden/Denmark/Norway have the same but differently coloured uniforms, same goes as im aware for the balkans and greece. Although i don't mind, i find that Sweden have the nicest uniform in the game But a late era version with a helmet(german like or such) wouldnt hurt. I do however Think that the French are a bit OP, in every game except my German Empire play they steamroll Germany, maybe the only other exception is when i take my Swedes to Russia. The Russians are okej in balance i Think though. And thank for the mod guys!! Rep coming up!
    Huh... what a coincidence. I think we'll need to have a talk with Aanker, our Swedish texture artist

To answer your questions: a) I'm surprised that the late era version wasn't given a helmet, perhaps they never introduced helmets during 1914-1918?; b) strengthening Germany is one of our top gameplay priorities at the moment, so it will probably see some improvement in our next update.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Quote Originally Posted by King Sama View Post
    I wasn't aware the flamethrower issue existed - what did you change? Flamethrower projectile damage?
    Projectiles explosion tables - changed Detonation Damage = 1000
    Projectiles table - changed damage = 30

Also changed the bunker slightly to tighten up the mg_nesters formation so safer in bunker BUT reduced their hit value
    so easier to kill by gunfire once bunker destroyed. Melee was the only way to kill them originally.
    Battle entities - changed height = 2 hit_points = 20
    Unit stats land - changed all Close and Loose spacing (horizontal and vertical) = 1

hoping for the best for the next patch,hope it fixes a lot of crashing issues that makes the game literally unplayable......anyways also about the differentiation of units? because it seems a lot of nations all have the same unit skins/models for their Militia(Conscripts)/Rifles/and Elite Units.

(on a side note may I ask how is one supposed to use Flamethrowers,Trench Gunners and Sub-Machine Gunners? every time I try to attack using them they quickly gets owned from afar which makes them completely route or the whole unit gets annihilated due to the fact that they need to get in face to face before they can utilize their weapons.)

Another list of current problems:

Killing generals counts for far too much morale penalty, routing units who would have no idea what had happened, especially artillery.

Artillery and generals are too easily spotted and targeted by artillery.

Despite routing artillery units and capturing their guns, the unit magically regenerates its guns for the next battle. It's frustrating to kill a whole army's infantry to leave only 4 artillery units, not to mention violating basic logistical and common sense.

AI forces always use tight formations when attacking and therefore perish, even with units which can use loose formation.

Being besieged for a single turn depletes units far too much. The damage should be more slow and attritional.

Of these, Problems 1, 2 and 3 are game-breaking. Problems 4 and 5 are fairly trivial.
    A message to CA:

I have a couple suggestions. I doubt anybody really cares if LMG units don't lie down so why not make them infantry units with lots of, or infinite ammo? They can sit down instead of stand like the infantry in light infantry mode. I know it would actually take quite a while to build the LMGs like the Chauchat so I know this would take a while to implement. And instead of huge units of LMGs, are you guys able to designate more than one guy to carry and use a revolver every once in a while like an officer?

Also, are generals and officers going to be given swords again? It just looks kind of weird that a general would carry a bayonet instead of a sword. I guess minor infantry officers in the late period would use daggers instead. But yeah.

Also, I've never played as anything other than the British so I don't know but I assume this isn't so. Do British armed veteran home guard units use the old Boer War era redcoat and pith helmet. Also shouldn't armed citizens sometimes use muskets for the teams other than the Ottomans? Also, shouldn't they just be wearing their era specific clothes instead of uniforms?

I know all of these may take lots of time to do but I for one think they'd be really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Marcellus View Post
    I find the French do very little. I'm playing as Britain and going fairly slow to retain some fun but the French haven't done jack. I'm hoping they move in and pick up the slack. I've already taken four of Germany's territories and the Netherlands (Brits need a continental port).

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianReject View Post
    I find the French do very little. I'm playing as Britain and going fairly slow to retain some fun but the French haven't done jack. I'm hoping they move in and pick up the slack. I've already taken four of Germany's territories and the Netherlands (Brits need a continental port).
    Why not take a German port instead?

The Western Front is far too quiet. I modded my game to add many more troops, especially machine guns and heavy artillery, to the opposing armies, and though the AI is still a little passive (France keeping a full stack in Paris) the slaughter is much more furious.
    A message to CA:

Why not take a German port instead?

The Western Front is far too quiet. I modded my game to add many more troops, especially machine guns and heavy artillery, to the opposing armies, and though the AI is still a little passive (France keeping a full stack in Paris) the slaughter is much more furious.
    Because I'd have to go around Denmark and be very deep in German territory. The Netherlands are unaligned and are very close to Britain.

I have failed thus far to find a British Army preview, I was wondering as this is all that is holding me back, have you guys made or plan to make Anzac units? Considering the battle of Alamein and the extensive use of the Anzacs as cannon fodder by the British I would hope you are, Being an Aussie myself might also influence said position...
    Last night, the complaints of the fans kept me awake and I had a terrible vision. I saw, the end of our franchise, countless bugs and bad reviews! Total War, GONE. Why would CA release such an unfinished game? They put effort into their work. They have released successful Total War titles aplenty! Their products are shipped to all corners of the world...and yet now I fear, I cannot help it. Total War is the envy of lesser gamers but CA, tell terrible lies to their fanbase, Rome II was bugged and unfinished SO THEY LIE. But Sega, they are the masters of falsehood. DLC will come, I am sure of it, so I will buy no more Total War games, and I think the forums, will be empty tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Monoloco View Post
    I have failed thus far to find a British Army preview, I was wondering as this is all that is holding me back, have you guys made or plan to make Anzac units? Considering the battle of Alamein and the extensive use of the Anzacs as cannon fodder by the British I would hope you are, Being an Aussie myself might also influence said position...
    The British can have 6 units of Australian Light Horse once they get Trench Warfare Doctrine and Colonial Recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianReject View Post
    The British can have 6 units of Australian Light Horse once they get Trench Warfare Doctrine and Colonial Recruitment.
    Awesome, being a descendent of a soldier who served in the 8th Light Horse Regiment, I feel like I can relate to this mod far more than any other Total War.

Cheers.
    Last night, the complaints of the fans kept me awake and I had a terrible vision. I saw, the end of our franchise, countless bugs and bad reviews! Total War, GONE. Why would CA release such an unfinished game? They put effort into their work. They have released successful Total War titles aplenty! Their products are shipped to all corners of the world...and yet now I fear, I cannot help it. Total War is the envy of lesser gamers but CA, tell terrible lies to their fanbase, Rome II was bugged and unfinished SO THEY LIE. But Sega, they are the masters of falsehood. DLC will come, I am sure of it, so I will buy no more Total War games, and I think the forums, will be empty tonight.

You know, it's cool to see The United States in this mod but wasn't Japan involved in WWI too? Would it be a faction to choose in the custom battles?

Default Re: Some proposed enhancements

i have an idea but maybe is bad if you could take resources from shogun: the fall of the samurai of Ships with no sails like WW1 ships and add them with a sub mod in NTW engine maybe you could easy add on top of them your GREAT models of WW1 Navy cause i think STW the fall of the samurai ships had turrets. I'm not sure about that maybe is a bad idea that can't be done but you know much than i do

Default Re: Some proposed enhancements

as for Uniforms i will sent you for the greek army (i got many photos and pictures just tell me when you need them ) which needs a remake, plus the voices are spanish on greek troops (funny for onces i thought i play with spain )

this mod looks really good. i have tried to get it working over the past 5 days with no joy. my version is a legit steam version and i have removed all previous mods. it loads up with the great war screen but there is no sound and when i go on the battles it has the original ntw vanilla units. i am clearly doing something wrong but dont know what, any help with this would be greatly appreciated. also i have followed all the install videos i can wtf am i doing wrong. would be great if they could just put it in the steam workshop would make things so much easier.