Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great War 5.1 | General Suggestions and Questions Thread

Default Re: The Great War 5.1 | General Suggestions and Questions Thread

Adding Bulgaria is impossible, since the campaign map cannot be changed.

I have, again, modded my game to make poison gas linger for longer, and it has not caused any crashes so far, though the AI seems completely incapable of avoiding it. I should release my changes as a submod eventually.

Changes made so far:
    More machine guns and artillery at the start of the campaign.
    Research times reduced.
    Warsaw given to Russia.
    Posion gas stays much longer.

Adding trenches actually dug into the map would be a huge bonus. One way to do it might be to actually make them part of the map, and have certain "trench maps" activate if 2 armies engage after standing close to each other for more than 1 turn, or for haivng 1 army dug in if they have been static for more than 1 turn.
    A message to CA:

Either care about history or improve modding support.

ONe question to the developers, could you remade the ottoman ship in campaing, and add new models for the armies and agents in the game? it is posible?
    it will be awesome to see English soldiers of the time in campaing map, instead of those werid looking wig/coat guys ._.

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr Vasilyevich Suvorov View Post
    Adding Bulgaria is impossible, since the campaign map cannot be changed.

I have, again, modded my game to make poison gas linger for longer, and it has not caused any crashes so far, though the AI seems completely incapable of avoiding it. I should release my changes as a submod eventually.

Changes made so far:
    More machine guns and artillery at the start of the campaign.
    Research times reduced.
    Warsaw given to Russia.
    Posion gas stays much longer.

Adding trenches actually dug into the map would be a huge bonus. One way to do it might be to actually make them part of the map, and have certain "trench maps" activate if 2 armies engage after standing close to each other for more than 1 turn, or for haivng 1 army dug in if they have been static for more than 1 turn.
    You should! Submods are always appreciated.

We have experimented with the way the campaign generates random maps, and there may be ways to load custom maps in certain areas of the campaign map, but these were very deeply obscure areas of modding that we could not afford to delve too much into when there were more pressing concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

I would imagine changing the campaign map would be exceptionally difficult, but if it is eventually possible, adding Sofiya and Bulgaria should be top priority (below ship models, of course). Adding Anatolia and the Caucasus is likely pure fantasy, though the outlines of those regions are shown on the map.
    A message to CA:

so...
    can campaing models be changed?

Senator

I've been following since the release of 5.0 (apart from getting 4.6, I think, which I couldn't get to work).

5.1.3 was released in September, and there's been nothing since, yet people still post about many bugs and issues?

So I have to ask; what's the status of these now? Is there a newer release I'm missing? Or are people just soldiering (heh) on through the various bugs they're having?

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Theres a new release coming up and we use this thread to gather alot of issues that will be fixed in the new version. We like to do it that way instead of a ton of small updates.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    Theres a new release coming up and we use this thread to gather alot of issues that will be fixed in the new version. We like to do it that way instead of a ton of small updates.
    Cool. It's just been a big change of pace from many updates within a few weeks of 5.0 being released to nothing at all. I'm eager to play the mod, but I don't want to start a campaign I can't finish due to bugs. I know a mod as huge as this takes a lot of time and effort and I can't begin to express my gratitude for what you're doing.

But might I suggest a stickied thread where there is a relatively accurate status update? Just something that says "current version: 5.1.3 (download here, installation instructions here), currently being worked on: fixing x, x and x, adding y, future plans: x campaign, y feature, z submod incorporated" etc etc.

Then you can have things like "next version imminent/within 6 weeks" etc and "nothing currently being worked on, report bugs here, direct technical questions here" etc.

It would be really helpful to people like me who haven't been around on TGW forums that long and don't really understand what's happening.

Just a suggestion. Don't take it as a complaint or anything.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Flam View Post
    so...
    can campaing models be changed?
    We've changed some already, the battleship model, the train model and airplanes. Also the army pieces have been changed to a certain extent.

@ Larkin, everytime we try to make a progress thread we dont seem to be able to keep it up to date since we're more focused on fixing the issues to begin with.

Things you might want to consider for future releases:

I 've made a "much less" dust mod that has no dust for infantry and substantially less for cavalry and artillery when moving.

I've also done a mod to tweak the flamethrower so that it can take out bunkers. Now instead of having to do a suicide charge, you can sneak up and grill them to toast.

I have some questions that put poison in my mind
    1) why Russian cominists have tsarist flag? In skirmish they are the same faction with tsarists and in the company the revolutionary army uses tsarist uniforms and have tsarist flag... so... where is the revolution?
    2) since when the tsarist army using tachanka?.. it was an idea of the rebels (anarchists and comunists)
    3) you want to tell me that russian army had only one type of uniform for all types of soliders and squads?
    4) why russian soliders using einfield instead of their own mosin rifles
    *you can add black rebel sailors as elite unit for the rebels
    *you can change hussars for cossacks and add cossack infantry

P.S
    When I want to use tachanka on a battlefield.... the game crash.

A lot of these complaints are because the mod is still in development. Few of the models are implemented, hence the inaccurate and insufficient units and uniforms.
    A message to CA:

Quote Originally Posted by andypuk View Post
    Things you might want to consider for future releases:

I 've made a "much less" dust mod that has no dust for infantry and substantially less for cavalry and artillery when moving.

I've also done a mod to tweak the flamethrower so that it can take out bunkers. Now instead of having to do a suicide charge, you can sneak up and grill them to toast.
    I wasn't aware the flamethrower issue existed - what did you change? Flamethrower projectile damage?

I agree; the dust plumes of many units, especially infantry, are excessive. Even cavalry did not throw up dust like a tank column.
    A message to CA:

Sigma's Avatar Ducenarius

Four questions good sirs:

Is it planned or even possible to change the models of the barricades constructable by troops prior to battle?
    Will minor nations eventually get accurate units to replace the place holders?
    Will armored cars be added? Or experimental super heavy tanks?
    If some other countries happen to have communist uprisings will there eventually be special communist units made for them like the Soviets have?
    Last edited by Sigma; January 08, 2014 at 11:36 PM.

ZeEmperor's Avatar Semisalis

The last thing what sigma said would be pretty cool,for Serbia to become SHS Yugoslavia and capture Croatia,this however wasnt a commie uprising,its just a country that happened after WW1 in 1918/1919,and on its rule was the Serbian king.But can you change a minor factions name and flag in a rebellion?

Yugoslavia, if it exists, should keep Serbian units, when they are eventually added. There was not a communist revolution there until World War 2, so to save work units should be the same. I expect all placeholder units to be eventually replaced, but this will take years.
    A message to CA:

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Four questions good sirs:

1. Is it planned or even possible to change the models of the barricades constructable by troops prior to battle?
    2. Will minor nations eventually get accurate units to replace the place holders?
    3. Will armored cars be added? Or experimental super heavy tanks?
    4. If some other countries happen to have communist uprisings will there eventually be special communist units made for them like the Soviets have?
    1. I believe it's possible to change their appearance, but not their function.
    2. No. They're not placeholders, but standard units, which in gameplay terms are pretty much identical to the major faction units.
    3. That's mainly up to B-DizL, who's working on some higher-priority models at the moment.
    4. Maybe, if we get around to a Russia-focused update. The communist units wouldn't be as numerous or unique as the Soviet's though.

Regarding minor nation rosters - the amount of work that would be required to give every nation a "major" roster far outweighs the benefits. We understand that many people will want minor faction(s) to be fully represented, for patriotic or historic reasons, but this is something far better done in a submod. As it stands, we already gave an opportunity for fans to suggest any minor faction 'unique units' they wanted represented to supplement their standard rosters, got around 5/6 suggestions, and then implemented all of them.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Sigma's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by King Sama View Post
    1. I believe it's possible to change their appearance, but not their function.
    2. No. They're not placeholders, but standard units, which in gameplay terms are pretty much identical to the major faction units.
    3. That's mainly up to B-DizL, who's working on some higher-priority models at the moment.
    4. Maybe, if we get around to a Russia-focused update. The communist units wouldn't be as numerous or unique as the Soviet's though.

Regarding minor nation rosters - the amount of work that would be required to give every nation a "major" roster far outweighs the benefits. We understand that many people will want minor faction(s) to be fully represented, for patriotic or historic reasons, but this is something far better done in a submod. As it stands, we already gave an opportunity for fans to suggest any minor faction 'unique units' they wanted represented to supplement their standard rosters, got around 5/6 suggestions, and then implemented all of them.
    As far as the units go, what I meant was like how for instance Portugal used British helms and weaponry etc. I checked the game and found out the minor nations are set up like that but I never saw this in campaign since the old units are not replaced after the trench warfare doctrine is researched and AI builds the cheaper unit; so I never saw the later units for the minors. My bad.

My idea for the other communist government troops comes from the mod "Kaiserreich" from the paradox game, Darkest Hour. The only difference between communist government and standard units would be the communist troops would have grey or the olive colored uniforms, red and yellow trim on hats, collars and shoulders, red-arm bands and a red star on the helmets or hats. Tanks could be given a green or grey color scheme again with the red-star painted on.
    Last edited by Sigma; January 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM.

Minor nations could have only a few units with standard names, but they should have authentic uniforms and weapons. Different stats or "unique units" are not necessary, just different models for "Rifleman", "Machine Gunner" and other basic units. Submods may do this anyway.
    A message to CA: