Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Great War 5.1 | General Suggestions and Questions Thread

raistlinmajere8's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: The Great War 5.1 | General Suggestions and Questions Thread

I cant get past late april 1915 as Britain. I've crashed 4 times in a row now, same turn every single time. Not sure how I could have installed wrong, its just copy and paste and run a launcher under admin.

Is the mod just dead? I've read tens of posts about people CTD'ing during campaign turns, repeatedly, on the same turn, unable to get past it. And I've yet to see any sort of response from anyone that is of any help in fixing the issue.

Default Re: Some proposed enhancements

I have a questiong, a few.
    So, here I am playing with the U.K. and... they speak Spanish in the world map whenever I send them somewhere.
    After they reach whatever place I snd them,they reply with a naval quote like "the sea is ours" or whatever. I am no historical expert But (not to be racist), something is wrong.

It's not wrong. In order to make the British more appealing they made some revisions. For example, nobody likes the British Empire because they were too British but everybody likes Spain because of Zorro. Ergo, they decided to set the world in an alternate reality where the Spanish Armada was successful, Protestantism was thoroughly crushed, and the United Kingdom is simply a puppet state to greatly superior Spain. Spain is love. Spain is life. Spain is Magnifithent. Render unto to Spain.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Poetic Pariah View Post
    It's not wrong. In order to make the British more appealing they made some revisions. For example, nobody likes the British Empire because they were too British but everybody likes Spain because of Zorro. Ergo, they decided to set the world in an alternate reality where the Spanish Armada was successful, Protestantism was thoroughly crushed, and the United Kingdom is simply a puppet state to greatly superior Spain. Spain is love. Spain is life. Spain is Magnifithent. Render unto to Spain.
    Viva España!!! Nice place to vist with a great history diferent than all people think!!! As Bismarck said :
    ‘I am firmly convinced that Spain is the strongest country of the world. Century after century trying to destroy herself and still no success’

I'm from Barcelona I hope The independence have no success. For Spain and the king. Good luck with the mod!

Quote Originally Posted by alexesg View Post
    ‘I am firmly convinced that Spain is the strongest country of the world. Century after century trying to destroy herself and still no success’
    That is the best quote I have ever read. :O

Quote Originally Posted by GeminiiSkull View Post
    I have a questiong, a few.
    So, here I am playing with the U.K. and... they speak Spanish in the world map whenever I send them somewhere.
    After they reach whatever place I snd them,they reply with a naval quote like "the sea is ours" or whatever. I am no historical expert But (not to be racist), something is wrong.
    We've had that issue for ages, and to my recollection it has survived every attempted resolution. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Poetic Pariah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexesg View Post
    Viva España!!! Nice place to vist with a great history diferent than all people think!!! As Bismarck said :

I'm from Barcelona I hope The independence have no success. For Spain and the king. Good luck with the mod!
    You guys are great. Have a wonderful day. Salud!
    Last edited by King Sama; February 16, 2016 at 07:22 PM.

Need another quote? Found this prophetic quote from King Alfonso XIII.
    In one of his first public speeches, he declared:

"whether Spain is to remain a Bourbon monarchy or whether it becomes Republic depends on me ... I can cover myself with glory regenerating my country ... or I can be a king who does not rule and, being ruled by my ministers, will end up out of my country" (Carr 475). Prophetic words in retrospect, for he did, indeed, end up an exile.

to confirm Alfonso’s understanding of his constitutional role as final arbiter in Spanish politics. It also played into his autocratic personality.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Why is Warsaw part of Germany? In 1914 it was a part of Russia.

Civis

Alfonso XIII was a bad king he spected other people to do his work. His father Alfonso XII was much better Spain today would be a great power he made a more democratic and liberal Spain, and a major modernization of the army and navy. And in the Spanish-Carlist wars he went as a general, but he died too young. Alfonso XIII had good intentions but no action he where playing tennis all day. Its true that he admited his errors and he permited the a horrible republic. The entrepreneurs were dead without government action . Catolicos raped and pillaged dead. even the workers themselves , who had placed great faith in her, in 1934 rebolucionaron against her.
    The civil war happened because spain had not democratic faith, just a few people. You where or monarchical or fascist or Carlist or very right and on the other side, republicans, anarchists and communists.
    For the current people being fascist was a normall option we have to think that they didn't know about the things Mussolinni and hitler did and fasci started with an intelectual lider Jose Antonio Primo de Rivera https://es.wikiquote.org/wiki/Jos%C3...rimo_de_Rivera he where an idealist loved by the left too as you can see in the link. With him with, maybe today we could see different fascism It could be the utopia that never was.
    Non democratic sistem has this problem meny tyrants.

But what happened with the party he had after his death has no name, for him a civil war was a defeat. Comunism and anarchism in Spain are different becausde had more history in our country and they killed 4 presidents before the war and the civil war so they where natural violent, but I understand that because in that time work was a kind of slavery in fact Jose Antonio said that Spain had to change because even the the slave being was even better because you are a property and at least you will be valued as property. HOWEVER the workers did not matter because there were hundreds of thousands waiting to take his place without charge. Just giving pieces of bread and a roof, within the monopoly of entrepreneurs.

Our fascism was more a catholic-military dictatorship it was a ligth fascism. They had no problems with Jews or with disabilities, they helped them and was an argument by the United States when it was allied with Spain in the Cold War.. But if you where comunist or republican and you revindicate you had problems, and for catalonian people as me for the catalonian culture was an awfull period they sold that if you were more Catalan you were less Spanish. Its the opposide that is happening in catalonia today, independentist sold that if you are mor Spanish you are less Catalan. I belive in the union of the catholic kings and it mean the union of lenguages and traditions they are a bit fascist, independentist (not all). And Franco banned some traditions, it was a god dictatorship for economics but socially was painfull.

Eny way we are a young democracy today and now we are cleaning all corrupts, and we have a great king and power to change from an unreal 21 century begining, I have faith!

Long live to Felipe VI !!!
    Try to add carlist it would be awsome, have fun!

hi people , im knew ,new here i and i need help about gw mod , i cannot install them because i dont have few patches , i cannot find it , and when i find it on some you tube tutorial for inastalation of this mod i canot zip it ,,,,,, can you help me ?

Hopefully, The commodity trading will change some commodities to more modern trades. Like changing Ivory into barrels of crude oil.

TotalFarce's Avatar Laetus

Longer turns and a use for some of the techs researched. Some are just blank and a waste of time. :/

Hello all folks,

my thing is that the launcher shows up that the mod is in the version 5.2 but when I reach the main menu of the game there it says 5.0. Is this normal ? Have I do not think about it and just play or do I have to reinstall the mod ? thanks for answering

Doctor Weir's Avatar Laetus

The level of awesomness this mod is@ is not depictable with words (:3

Branchez93's Avatar Foederatus

Why is Serbia mistreated? The only nation that has no description in campaign screen. The names of characters are not Serbian, translation is horrible, uniforms are innacurate, units are good but still not great, nation is pretty much unplayable. It gets destroyed in just a few turns.

Thus, I would like to offer my help in terms of historical research, suggestions, translation and everything regarding Serbian nation (for now, later I am willing to help with historical research for other nations as well if needed).

I really like this mod it really is something different. Sounds are amazing, visual effects too, the whole idea is perfect. Imho this mod looks like it's in a beta phase which is not bad ofc, but I think there is still a lot of work to be done. I hope you accept my help.

SerbianWOLF's Avatar Semisalis

It has description. But when you put authentic text than you don't have it When I recruited generals, they had accurate names of serbian generals in WW1(but napoleon game does not recognize some serbian letters). As I have been told names of ministers and agents can't be changed. Uniforms are not that innacurate, they are OK.
    What is horrible is that Chetniks are elite assault infantry That name should be changed right away. Chetniks are freedom fighters, mostly made of peasants and retired veteran soldiers and not formal Serbian army ! I was able to play with Serbia a lot. 3 Austrian armies failed to beat me. But Serbia should be a bit stronger
    Last edited by SerbianWOLF; May 16, 2016 at 04:35 PM.
    No freedom was ever given by any request, nor good speech. Freedom is what you conquer !

Quote Originally Posted by Branchez93 View Post
    Why is Serbia mistreated? The only nation that has no description in campaign screen. The names of characters are not Serbian, translation is horrible, uniforms are innacurate, units are good but still not great, nation is pretty much unplayable. It gets destroyed in just a few turns.

Thus, I would like to offer my help in terms of historical research, suggestions, translation and everything regarding Serbian nation (for now, later I am willing to help with historical research for other nations as well if needed).

I really like this mod it really is something different. Sounds are amazing, visual effects too, the whole idea is perfect. Imho this mod looks like it's in a beta phase which is not bad ofc, but I think there is still a lot of work to be done. I hope you accept my help.
    Thank you for the offer. There are understandably a lot of complaints with this mod, as with any mod, but it's the rare individual who is willing to put in the time to help improve it.

The issue is that our limiting factor with respect to Serbia and other quasi-major factions is not the availability of research/ideas, but rather the implementation of said research/ideas.

For example, we did write a description for Serbia in the campaign screen. It may have even been me who wrote it, if not, then another modder by the name of Audacia. But evidently it was left out of our release, for whatever reason. Personally, I don't even have the mod tools installed to fix that.

Likewise, adding units obviously takes some experience with DB editing. Balancing requires experience with both the unit stats and with our TGW unit design. Rearranging uniforms requires DB editing, while making new uniforms requires texturing. All of these things require more than research. The few people actively working on this mod have their hands more than full with more general fixes/balancing/features, which leaves some nations like Serbia not quite as well done as we may like. This stands despite the honorable intentions of people such as yourself.

EDIT: Thanks for the clarification regarding the faction description, Wolf!

Quote Originally Posted by King Sama View Post
    EDIT: Thanks for the clarification regarding the faction description, Wolf!
    You're welcome.

Serbian units are not bad. Just a little bit of details and maybe color tone of uniforms.

Here are examples:

Photo of one Serbian soldier

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Here you can see color of uniforms It looks different comparing to mod units

For late serbian infantry(1916-1918) you should add Franch blue uniforms with franch style helmets. Serbia already have them but in green color. Those were later serbian made uniforms. In late 1916, 1917 and 1918 more than half Serbian army had infantry same as French. Just copy them to Serbian roster and they should be replacing late Riflemen

Name Chetniks should be changed. Better use name like elite assault troops or something
    As Serbia formed air force in 1912 I think Serbia should have one plane(agent). And give Serbia something like this:

I hope Serbia does not have machine guns from the start due to some kind of balancing. But you should increase Serbian economy somehow to make more historically larger army with machine guns Serbs used a lot.
    And maybe +1 unit of artillery(field gun for example). Austria was able to send 3 armies at me while I didn't even had 1. That is more than 1:3 outnumbering but how it happened is that there was not even 1:2 in battles Serbia vs Austria. So I really think Serbia should have larger army from Start I can win even like this but I loose a lot of men like that and they just keep attacking. And Central Powers will win eventually with help of Turks and Germans
    France also seen weak. Paris is taken in 1915 Russia does nothing against Austria and was able to take just 2 German provinces and Germans take them back. First time I played mod Germany conquered France, good parts of Russia, Italy,Spain,Belgium UK does nothing. Allies should be more aggressive
    Last edited by SerbianWOLF; May 17, 2016 at 08:18 AM.
    No freedom was ever given by any request, nor good speech. Freedom is what you conquer !

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

We wrote a script that give Serbia a larger starting army if you play as them or Austria-Hungary or any of the Balkan factions. If you play as any of the other Entente faction they have a small starting army so that Austria can overpower them, similar to history, because usually Serbia revolts and kicks Austria due to a large strong revolutionary army forming. Later on though if Austria becomes strong enough they re-invade and win, so again pretty close to history.

When i play as Britain or France i like to create a rescue army and get them to Serbia in time to try to fend off or liberate Serbia. One time playing as GB i liberated Serbia with the help of a Romanian army against Austria and the Ottomans, it was epic!

Cool When I play as Serbia, I have to create army to liberate France And Italy is likely to join central powers. Is there a way to script that Italy join allies or something like that ?