Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Great War 5.1 | General Suggestions and Questions Thread

Default Re: The Great War 5.1 | General Suggestions and Questions Thread

Hi,

I'm trying to install the mod for mac, but I'm having a load of difficulty. I can't use the installer, nor can I do it manually in the same way as the instruction video because I can't use the mod manager, but I have got somewhere without. I've put all the files into my Data folder, and activated them in my scripts. However, it only party works (well...barely). The background is still vanilla, but the buttons and logo on the main menu are from TGW. Also, the WW1 campaign is where it should be (though along with all the vanilla ones), and when I set a custom battle, all the units have the TGW names, with the vanilla cards. They also have the vanilla models when in the battlefield map.

So, basically, can anyone help? Like I said, I use a mac, and it's certainly good enough to run the game (it's brand new). I had TGW on my last computer and I loved it, so I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks

Tiro

Hi, it will some update or this mod is dead? And how is with DLC Spanish Civil War?

Plagiat_93's Avatar Libertus

Could it be possible that researching is not possible for minor nations such as switzerland? Because in my case i can't research even though i have a university in zürich?
    Last edited by Plagiat_93; June 05, 2016 at 02:18 PM.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Did you destroy the building that was there and build a university or was the university there from the start? i dont recall what the starting buildings are atm.

Plagiat_93's Avatar Libertus

I built the university out of a college which was built from a town (or village or how it's called). So no destruction.

I finally decided to give The Great War a try and it's honestly pretty damm good. Never had this much fun with NTW before.

However, the dead general debuff is truly absurd. Let's say you play as a minor and you simply don't have real generals and often artillery unit is your general as far as game logic goes. Initial counterbattery fire, general dies and every artillery piece from howitzers to mortars will rout and infantry begins to waver. I even had rather weird situation playing as France that my general died halfway through the battle, my artillery routs off the map never to return and even ongoing assault that was about to wrap up the AI routed.

Granted, pack file manager is easy solution to the problem but I wonder what is the design logic behind the absurd debuff?

rhalina's Avatar Ordinarius

Hi,
    Same as you Mjarr, + the range of the railcanons seems to low.
    Have you succeded to mod it with PFM? Each time i'm trying, the stats still be the original ones ^^
    Last edited by rhalina; October 16, 2016 at 09:26 AM.

Merovingian-period archeology database: http://241-752.forumgratuit.fr/
    Association Française d'Archéologie Mérovingienne

Quote Originally Posted by rhalina View Post
    Hi,
    Same as you Mjarr, + the range of the railcanons seems to low.
    Have you succeded to mod it with PFM? Each time i'm trying, the stats still be the original ones ^^
    Range of railway guns makes sense since the unit is supposed to be forward observer (aka the guy who is supposed to guide the fire and make sure it's vaguely on spot) hence the range seems not that impressive, but it is logical.

And yes, it is easy to fix. Each scale uses slightly different morale baseline, but if you play with classic go to steam\steamapps\common\napoleon total war\data\the great war\options\ and find _GreatWar5_DB_LargeScale.pack. The way I fixed it, just copypaste it to napoleon total war\data\, rename it something like Ztgwmoraletweak.pack, open it with pack file manager, delete everything but kv_morale table, adjust the debuff penalty to your liking (I just removed it altogether, aka set every general_dead or fled entry to 0), click file at top left -> change pack type -> movie -> save; this will make it automatically load it on startup without any need to alter TGW files directly. If you are using tactical scale I assume it's _GreatWar5_DB_SmallScale.pack that needs tinkering.

Only downside is you have to remove that Ztgwmoraletweak.pack if you want to play any other mod but that's pretty easy thing to remember.
    Last edited by Mjarr; October 17, 2016 at 01:39 AM.

rhalina's Avatar Ordinarius

Thanks a lot Mjarr, i'll try this.
    Concerning the train-artillery, my mind was that they are really to close from combats just to report a big "boom", and as i'm new on NTW/ETW, i was surprised to not see the range stats in the accuracy/moral/ect file

Merovingian-period archeology database: http://241-752.forumgratuit.fr/
    Association Française d'Archéologie Mérovingienne

Under which faction header is the German Empire when using the ESF editor to change file information? I'm seeing all the Napoleonic names for the various German states, but nothing that says "German_Empire". And I assume that Austria is the stand-in for Austro-Hungary in the file directory?
    Does the Walker choose the path, or the Path the walker?

I just suggest that Mosin Nagant rifle should be armed for the Russian Army. This mod has made NTW became more exciting to play.

I thanks the makers for this grand mod !
    I had been unable to play it before but now with a new PC with far better specs I can and played many turns of the Turkey campaign with absoilutely no CTD or problems so far ! [sadly something I cannot say about other mods I've tried recently...]

One question: Is there any military march music mod for this mod (Is Zarás the only one?) What about an overall music for the background, any submod to add more varied music? Thanks

Zikko's Avatar Tiro

I like how tactical size gives you just one cannon etc. What I don't like is that on tactical/ultra the infantry sizes are a bit small. Could be double, (but still keep the cannons at 1) but that's just my preference.

Is this mod still in development or closed?

Hello there

Is there a chance to make some kind of sub mod to this which adds alot more turns?
    This is an amazing mod, and with all those new things in it. It would be great with more turns to really dive deep into it.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

It's with great pleasure that the Modding Awards Committee informs you that this mod has been awarded in the recent 2016 Modding Awards, as seen here! Please feel free to stop by and check the list of all the winners.

Also, don't forget to check
    here for more details about how to promote the victory of your mod.

If any question about please feel free to use the
    Discussion thread.

Flinn,
    On behalf of the Modding Awards Committee
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    It's with great pleasure that the Modding Awards Committee informs you that this mod has been awarded in the recent 2016 Modding Awards, as seen here! Please feel free to stop by and check the list of all the winners.

Also, don't forget to check
    here for more details about how to promote the victory of your mod.

If any question about please feel free to use the
    Discussion thread.

Flinn,
    On behalf of the Modding Awards Committee
    Wooooooooo! Enthusiasm!

Edit: Though I'm sure it's super flattering for the Great War team to be recognized, I realized that this congratulatory post by Flinn is actually unrelated to the thread topic, which is Suggestions and Questions. Thus, I'd like to make a suggestion to re-rail this thread. Such selflessness.

It'd be nice if the the mesh for boots (the Prussian boots in vanilla which is actually more like black gaiters over shoes) was added twice more. As in two variations of the original mesh. One being white gaiters and the other also being white gaiters but with the same color mapping for the tunic. Thus, white and colored gaiters. Is it historically accurate? Sort of. I mean... the US forces had gaiters and putties, though I think gaiters were more early on but they switched back to gaiters AFTER the war. And Japan also used white gaiters (but they're not available in-game. Perhaps make them available in Custom Battle only?). So, maybe something for the infamous 5.2 update, eh?
    Last edited by Poetic Pariah; June 14, 2017 at 09:05 PM.
    Rawr rawr rawr rawr.

Hi, never played this mod, but I was thinking of doing a Great War machinima given all that I'm learning about WWI. However, I'm not entirely sure as to the visual capabilities of this mod, some gameplay videos I've seen looked primitive and not visually all there. Do the machine guns work? Do infantry properly man the machine guns and fire, or are they still glitched? Are artillery models properly animated with shells properly firing out the barrel and loaders properly loading shells without clipping? Are there any city maps? Or better yet, destroyed city maps if I wanted to make a video about Verdun? How big are the explosions? Are they similar to the howitzers in NTW, or are they bigger? Do the French and Germans all have their early WWI uniforms such as the French Cuirassiers and their armor?

I'm curious whether the mod is developed enough to give it a go, it looks like the mod's latest update is 4 years old, but I haven't really been paying attention to it, so if it's still being developed, I could perhaps wait for a later version.

Hello, I am absolutely Loving this mod. I was just wondering, Is there a way I could modify the technology? I just find that it takes to long to research some stuff.

Hi guys,
    One question: Did you guys added breech loaded animation as new engines in game (for artillery)?
    If yes,
    do you have any examples that i could use? So i can try it out the same way you did for my own mod.
    Also, i have seen that you have (custom) ship models for the early 20th century. May i use them for my own mod? Full credit goes to the creators off course.