Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Creating a World - Importing units from another mod

Default Re: Creating a World - Importing units from another mod

There is a sprite model being used for the Ranger volunteers in the entry above it. Also, I did change the total count at the top but I didn't know that I was supposed to change the faction. What faction would I change it to?

Also is there supposed to be a space or spaces after each line in the modeldb?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

There needs to be a space at the end of each line.

What was the original faction of the unit and what is the faction now? Maybe upload your modelDB and EDU file and let me know the name of the model(s) entries.

Oh ok, well for some reason when I open the modeldb there are no spaces after each line yet the game ran fine before I tried putting in the unit.
    The original unit was just a mercenary unit, but I want to transfer it over to the Northern Dúnedain faction in TATW: Divide and Conquer.
    The name of the unit Dunedain_Sword_Volunteers and is under the Northern Dúnedain unit list in the edu. It is the second to last at the bottom of the modeldb.

Modeldb:
    file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Medieval%20II%20Total%20War/mods/americas/data/unit_models/battle_models.modeldb

EDU:
    file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Medieval%20II%20Total%20War/mods/americas/data/export_descr_unit.txt

Blog Entries

I am afraid linking directly to your computer doesn't work. You need to upload the files to a service like mediafire.com and then copy the link here.

Blog Entries

No sprite entries - this will lead to problems unless you have sprites switched off, which is unlikely. Here is a tutorial on how to generate sprites, else copy a suitable entry from the modelDB file.
    Zeroes at end of texture lines - a similar problem, only the attachment section should have zeroes (at least that is standard).

EDU says that the ownership is 'slave, turks, byzantium' - which means you need those three factions in the modeldb as well as the merc entry. Fix this before generating sprites.

It works! Thank you so much!! You are the G.O.A.T.!

Welp actually now I got a new problem When I tried to do a custom scenario to test the unit out, the game kept crashing saying there was an unexpected error.

And I just did something wrong again by messing with the export_descr_buildings file... Now the game crashes as soon as I click the launch button. I was trying to put the unit in so it could be recruited from one of the unique barracks that is part of the Northern Dunedain. So I copied the entry of another similar unit and replaced its name with the new unit.

Blog Entries

Which editor are you using? Some of them add hidden formatting which leads to crashes.

Custom battles you should test first with units that you know work. Then do a one on one battle involving one of those units and the new unit.
    To test if the officer model is the culprit (missile units used here cause a crash in melee) simply remove or comment out that line(s) in the EDU

Errors in the EDB are most of the time well documented, check your log for [error] entries at the end of the log.

I was just using the regular notepad but I have notepad++. Should I use that?
    That is how I tested it but I'll try doing the officer fix you suggested.

Blog Entries

Both editors are fine, the ++ version has some advanced functions that you may find helpful if you get more into editing, eg a file comparison add-on or search in multiple open files (the multiple open files being a major advantage).

Okay so I looked at the log and it said there was an error in the edb. But it said it was at line 1, column 1 and there is only hashtags there.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/f4of8f..._buildings.txt

http://www.mediafire.com/file/aq4v62...system.log.txt

Blog Entries

Here is the culprit at the end of the log:
    Code:
    14:15:35.428 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/americas/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 1, column 1
    Expected 'building', found '
    Clearly a formatting error, confirmed by Notepad++'s format info (bottom right): UTF-8-BOM whereas it should be ANSI

Fix as follows:

1. open file in regular Notepad
    2. use 'Save As' and change the 'encoding' from UTF-8 to ANSI
    3. click 'Save' and confirm overwriting - DONE

Once you start using Notepad++ this can very easily be fixed by the 'Encoding' drop down at the top and choosing the appropriate format, then saving. You can also define the default format of a new document via Settings\Preferences\New Document

Ok I did that but now it's saying that the unit that I put in there is unknown.

11:21:09.470 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/americas/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 9643, column 59
    Unknown unit type specified: Dunedain Sword Volunteers

Blog Entries

Technically the unit is not in the EDU because you did a formatting mistake in it's entry, you got this: type Dunedain_sword_Volunteers but in the EDB you refer to it as Dunedain Sword Volunteers. The reference in the EDB has to completely agree with the type entry in the EDU, I would suggest to change the EDU type entry to the spelling you used in the EDB as this is the standard way of reference.

It officially works!!! Thank you so much!!! You are the official G.O.A.T!!!!

Blog Entries

I'm so sorry about this, but one last quick question. I was trying to import one last unit and I did everything right except the edb. What does this mean?

Spoiler for log
    03:26:53.321 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    03:26:53.321 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Sep 5 2014 version development ===
    03:26:53.321 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    03:26:53.321 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    03:26:53.321 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    03:26:53.321 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    03:26:53.321 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    03:26:53.321 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    03:26:57.999 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/americas/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 14236, column 66
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction scripts (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    03:26:57.999 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/americas/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 14236, column 66
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction milan (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    03:26:58.012 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/americas/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 14236, column 66
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction normans (bdg city vs clt huge_city)
    03:26:58.012 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/americas/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 14236, column 66
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction turks (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction scotland (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction timurids (bdg town vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction byzantium (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction moors (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction hungary (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction norway (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction saxons (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction egypt (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction ireland (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction mongols (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction teutonic_order (bdg town vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction venice (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction england (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction poland (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction france (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction aztecs (bdg town vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction hre (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    03:26:58.013 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/americas/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 14236, column 66
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction portugal (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    03:26:58.013 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/americas/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 14236, column 66
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction spain (bdg city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction russia (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction khand (bdg town vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction ents (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction papal_states (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction united (bdg large_city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - culture db max settlement level differs from building db max settlement level for faction slave (bdg city vs clt huge_city)
    Building DB error - faction scripts has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction scripts has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction sicily has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction sicily has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction sicily has gap in building prior to huge_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction sicily has gap in building prior to rebuilt_bridge (unavailable at level zero)
    Building DB error - faction denmark has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction denmark has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction denmark has gap in building prior to huge_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction denmark has gap in building prior to rebuilt_bridge (unavailable at level zero)
    Building DB error - faction milan has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction milan has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction normans has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    03:26:58.014 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/americas/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 14236, column 66
    Building DB error - faction turks has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    03:26:58.014 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/americas/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 14236, column 66
    Building DB error - faction turks has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction turks has gap in building prior to rebuilt_bridge (unavailable at level zero)
    Building DB error - faction scotland has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction scotland has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction byzantium has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction byzantium has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction moors has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction moors has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction hungary has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction hungary has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction norway has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction norway has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction saxons has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction saxons has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction egypt has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction egypt has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction ireland has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction ireland has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction mongols has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction mongols has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction venice has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction venice has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction england has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction england has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    03:26:58.015 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/americas/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 14236, column 66
    Building DB error - faction poland has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    03:26:58.015 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/americas/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 14236, column 66
    Building DB error - faction poland has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction france has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction france has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction hre has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction hre has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction portugal has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction portugal has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction spain has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction russia has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction russia has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction ents has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction ents has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction papal_states has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction papal_states has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction united has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction united has gap in building prior to large_stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction slave has gap in building prior to stone_wall
    Building DB error - faction sicily has gap in building prior to rebuilt_bridge (unavailable at level zero)
    Building DB error - faction denmark has gap in building prior to rebuilt_bridge (unavailable at level zero)
    Building DB error - faction normans has gap in building prior to fortress
    Building DB error - faction turks has gap in building prior to rebuilt_bridge (unavailable at level zero)
    03:26:58.016 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/americas/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 14236, column 66
    Building DB error - faction khand has gap in building prior to fortress
    03:26:58.016 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/americas/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 14236, column 66
    Building DB error - faction slave has gap in building prior to fortress
    03:26:58.016 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Principality Of Dol Amroth, wooden_castle -> town, castle_port[3](c_naval_drydock) -> port[3](naval_drydock)
    03:26:58.016 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Principality Of Dol Amroth, castle -> large_town, castle_port[3](c_naval_drydock) -> port[3](naval_drydock)
    03:26:58.016 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Principality Of Dol Amroth, fortress -> city, castle_port[3](c_naval_drydock) -> port[3](naval_drydock)
    03:26:58.016 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Principality Of Dol Amroth, citadel -> city, castle_port[3](c_naval_drydock) -> port[3](naval_drydock)
    03:27:40.875 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 22, 2017 at 03:29 AM. Reason: added spoiler